⚘ VII

Narcissus (Telepathetic II)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Alice and I were hardly ever awake at the same times, so I hadn’t spoken to her in a few weeks. I could sometimes peek into her dreams, but more often than not I didn’t care.

Vernon called me occasionally. He would tell me what Sungkyung had told him last. Sometimes he would ask for help in crafting a reply.

Seokmin and Seungkwan would try to reach out, but I wouldn’t answer them. Same with the other members, but most of them knew to leave me alone for a bit. I just felt so betrayed. Really, I would only answer Seungcheol’s messages, because I had to. And Jihoon’s one text that simply read, « Are you alive? We care about you being alive. » I’d replied to that.

One day, feeling kind of nostalgic, I decided to visit my old high school. I walked through the hallways, and realized that this visit was pointless because everything had changed since I graduated. All the walls were repainted. The lockers had been renewed. Even most of my teachers were gone. I left soon after I’d arrived.

On my way out, I ran into Thalia. The last time I had seen her, she was playing with Jason under the table. The last time I had spoken to her, she had yelled my ears off for something I was already beating myself up over. That is, until Jason himself had rushed in and calmed her down.

She stared at me about the same length of time as I did.

“Hey, Josh,” she said meekly.

“Hey,” I replied. “What are you doing here?”

She blinked. “It’s Friday,” she told me, as though that was explanation enough. When I stared at her blankly, she elaborated. “On Fridays I volunteer with Ms. Lovkin. I don’t have any classes.”

I nodded. “I see. Uh, okay, I guess I’ll see you around.”

I started to walk away, but she spoke. “Hey, are you free on Sunday?”

“Well, Pastor So asked me to make a special appearance with the choir.”

She nodded. “How about after church, grandpa?”

I chuckled. “I guess I am free.”

“Cool. I’m throwing a party. You should come.”

I shrugged. “Sure. I guess, text me the deets?”

She grinned, and then looked at her watch in panic. “Sorry, I’ve gotta go. I’ll see you on Sunday.”

“See you.”

***

Saturday morning, after my jog and early rooftop dancing, I showered and went back to sleep. I was woken up an hour later by a phone call. I was sure it was a pocket dial because there was no reason for Vernon to be calling me at this hour. I ignored it, but he called again.

“Vernon, I swear to God, stop calling me,” I said when I picked up. I was going to hang up right after, but he spoke.

“Hey, sorry if I woke you, Joshua said you’d be awake at this hour normally.”

I frowned. “Yeah, I normally am. I decided to take a nap. What’s up?”

“Are you free today?” he asked.

“Depends. Why?”

Vernon sighed. “Remember that group of trainees you and your friend helped quite a while ago when you first came to Pledis?”

I sat up in bed, rubbing my eyes, and woefully threw my legs over the side. “Yeah? You wanna get to the point sometime this century?”

He chuckled. “Their choreographer quit. We need an emergency choreographer. Are you available today?”

“Are you for real?” I asked. Suddenly I was wide awake. “Will I be paid?”

“In exposure?”

“If I wanted to be paid in exposure for my dancing, Vernon, I would have joined 1Million. Will I be paid in money?”

“Hold on.” I heard him talk to someone else on the side. Then he said, “Holy ,” before returning to me. “Yeah. You will be paid. A lot. You will be paid a lot of money.”

“Damn. Are they a new group or something?”

Vernon scoffed. “Do you live under a rock? Did you not watch Produce 101? Have you never heard of Pledis Girlz?”

“Oh ,” I hissed. “I helped Pledis Girlz?!”

“Yeah. You did. And as soon as IOI disbands and the two Pledis trainees come back, they’re going to prepare for debut. For now, the two IOI members are coming strictly for dance practice, so the choreographer quitting so suddenly is one hell of a blow.”

I narrowed my eyes. “And how come you’re so invested in this?”

“Minkyung called me as soon as the choreographer stormed off. She asked me to specifically ask you. She mentioned that your teaching style really helped them.”

“Holy ,” I said. “Oh my God. Yes, one hundred times yes, I will choreograph for Pledis Girlz!”

“Thank you,” he breathed. “How soon can you come here, because we kinda need you, like, right now?”

“I can be there in fifteen minutes.”

I hung up the phone, and quickly threw on some leggings and a loose fitting tank top. I had fallen asleep in a sports bra, which would have bothered me if it weren’t so damn convenient. “Mom,” I called. “Mom!”

She opened my door and saw me holding my duffel bag and putting on my training shoes. “Where are you going?” she asked.

“It’s a really long story,” I said, “and I can’t get into it right now, but can you drive me to Pledis?”

“Did Jiae call? What’s the rush?”

“No, I got a job, Mom!” I squealed.

She blinked. Then she smiled and yelled at Ariel for her to put on her shoes.

I was in front of the building exactly when I had told Vernon I would be. He was waiting outside the door and looked visibly relieved to see me.

“Hey, Alice!” he yelled. “Hurry!”

As we ran to the practice room, he explained to me what was going to go down today. He told me that the CEO and the girls’ manager would be watching and trying me. He said they would only offer me a contract if they like what I do today.

“Great, no pressure,” I said to myself.

When I walked in, all of the girls bowed. I bowed back to them, and also to the manager and CEO. “Hello, my name is Kwon Alice. I’m in my last year of Choreography at Korea National University of Arts.”

The CEO smiled and nodded. The manager kept his stone cold face.

Almost like the last time we had met, the girls showed me what they had so far, and we worked together to perfect it. I had a chance to hear the song three times, which is all I need to get a general idea of pace and lyrics.

I asked them where they had left off before the old choreographer quit. Nayoung said they couldn’t agree on a key chorus dance. I asked them to show me what their old choreographer had in mind. They all looked very reluctant, and they all looked at the other IOI member, Pinky. She gulped and stepped forward to show me.

“I see. I see why this was a catalyst for a disagreement.” I sighed. “Okay. So, that’s a clear no.”

Vernon also winced at the move. “She seriously wanted you guys to do that?”

Pinky nodded. “She wanted us to do it to whoever happened to be in the center for the chorus.”

I pinched the bridge of my nose. “Let me guess,” I asked her, “you were the center for the chorus?”

She nodded silently.

The

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter