Chapter 8

In Secret...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I see that Jessica’s grades have been getting better! How’s her training going?” Mr, Jung asked sipping his morning coffee.

 

“She wasn’t getting at first, but she’s gotten better. She moved up in ranks pretty fast. I underestimated her. If she puts her mind to it she is incredible.” 

 

“That’s great to hear. Thank you Tiffany. Any updates on Kwon?”

 

“As of right now, he has made any moves, but I’m watching. If he gets anywhere near Jessica, he should know what he’s getting. As for his father, I have eyes on him as well.”

 

“If anything happens keep me updated. I don’t need anyone getting hurt especially those closest to me. Make sure you protect Jessica at all cost.”

 

“I will! Even if that means my life!”

 

-----------------------------------------------------


 

“Wake up sleepy head!” Tiffany shout trying to wake up Sleeping Beauty. “You have a month until school is done you can sleep in whenever you want!”

 

“Mmmm!” Jessica whined and rolled as the girl yelled. 

 

“Come on we are going somewhere, so hurry our we are going to miss our flight!” 

 

“Flight?” 

 

-----------------------------------------------------

 

“So where exactly are we going?” Jessica asked as they made their way into the airport. 

 

“Since you have a short break before your finals, we are heading to L.A. Now hurry up, we are really going to be late for our flight!” 

 

-----------------------------------------------------


 

“You brought me all the way to L.A. to come to some old abandoned little park. We could have gone to one in Korea you know that?” 

 

“It’s not just some old abandoned park. It’s special.” Tiffany said approaching the rusted metal frames. “I used to run away here. Used play by myself when I missed my parents. I would sit and cry underneath the playground, then sit on the swing until the police found me. I did it so often that they made it a routine to come get me at the same time.” She proceeded to sit on the faded seat of the swing, not really caring whether the rusted chains could hold her weight. The chains creaked. Jessica followed and did the same. “I’m surprised they haven’t torn it down and built apartments on top of it yet. Guess I’m lucky.” 

 

Jessica kept quiet. The most quiet since they’ve touch down into the country. She just listened this time. Didn’t nag, didn’t complain, just listened. And watched. Watched Tiffany’s side profile. She noticed how skinny the latter was. The amount of bone that stood out compared to the muscle. Which really was even prevalent. She wondered how she was so still so strong. Physically and mentally. Or maybe she wasn’t. For amount it was just the sound of the creaking chains. 

 

“Jessica…” Tiffany said directing her head to the former. 

 

“Y-yes?” Jessica stuttered. 

 

“I envy you.”

 

This caught Jessica by surprise. “Why are you envious of me. I’m really nothing.” 

 

“You’re wrong. You have everything you could ever ask for in life. Money, popularity, love...not to mention beauty.” Jessica blushed at Tiffany’s comment. “You have it all, but yet you seem to not care about it at all. Why is that?” 

 

Jessica looked away this time, then began looking at her feet. Playing with the soil beneath her shoes as she thought about that question. “I may have everything, but the one thing I always wanted as a kid was my father’s attention. Every time I saw him all I ever heard was ‘I’m busy.’ Every time I tried to show him something, make him proud of something I did. He didn’t even spare me a glace. So now that he’s built his company, his empire, his ‘baby.’ I don’t want anything to do with it. He worked hard, yes. I don’t deny that, but he gave up his family in the process. My mother and Krystal forgive him, but me...all he had to do was give three seconds and he couldn’t even do that.” 

 

“But he does love you Jessica. Why would he even try to protect you. Give everything you could ever ask for even when you hate him so much. Parents are stupid, but they are only human. I can’t justify his actions, but I can say that no matter what, even if you ignore him, he’ll always be there for you. He’ll always be your father. Unexpected things always happen, it’s better to cherish what you have now with him, than regret not giving him three seconds. Trust me.” After that two became quiet and they felt the cool breeze touch their skin. 

 

Jessica once again looked at Tiffany. So many thoughts ran through her head. The past few weeks has really changed her perspective of the woman. She saw someone caring in every way. Even though she showed it in the little simple ways. Like leaving her clothes for the day folded next to her dresser. Or putting a glass of water next to her bed in the morning, knowing very well the Jessica is always thirsty when she wakes up. She realized how much of a dark mask Tiffany has on. Whenever she sees Tiffany interacting with her parents she can see an eye smile shine every once and awhile. Something that Jessica doesn’t usually get out the latter. Jessica only got the lectures and scolding whenever she messed up her Taekwondo routines or overslept, but never an eye smile. Jessica wanted one or hoped for one for some reason. Tiffany may not have been the same person that she thought she was, but she was still a mystery to Jessica. One she wanted to unfold. 

 

“Maybe you should take a picture. It lasts longer.” Tiffany said taking Jessica out of her trance. 

 

“Huh?” 

 

“You’ve been staring at me quite a lot lately. Why is that?” 

 

“N-no reason.” 

 

“Hm? Whatever you say. Well,” Tiffany said as she got up from the swing, “let’s head back. We have somewhere special to be tomorrow. I wanna make sure you get some of your beauty rest.” 

 

-----------------------------------------------------

 

~Next day~ 

 

‘I wonder where we’re heading to today?’ Jessica thought. They were in their uber passing by the big builds in the city of Los Angeles and moving towards a more suburban area. They soon came to medium s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter