Gift 9

12 Gifts From Secret Santa

 I do not own any of the characters. This is for entertainment purposes only. Any plot similarities to other FF and stories/movies are coincidental. Character thoughts in Italicized, and Bold for emphasis. Blue text is hyperlinked to photos of item described.


Aaron sighed at the black screen, a persistently unanswered ringing from his headphones filling the silence. She is late again. It's already been a year and a half and I still can't get use to her absence. Our "daily" calls and "weekly" video chats have become less frequent and more untimely as of late. The screen lit up and a preppy voice snapped him out of his solemn musing.

"Annyeong! Ah sorry I meant to say hi. Sorry I am late, I forgot to let you know last night that there is a showcase on campus today. The event took longer than I expected. It was so amazing to see all the graduates perform. I can't believe I will be the one on that stage next school year. I've completed the basic choreography for my own performance, now I just need to work with the instructor and her assistant on the finer details and continue practicing all year! Ah Bu, I wish you could be here to see it. Enough about me, how are you?"

"Only one and a half years in Korea and you've already forgotten how to speak Chinese? Jokes aside, I am fine, you know how applied for early graduation? The school just got back to me and my application was processed! My internship at ETtoday is almost over, but it seems like they wants to hire me full time as part of their filming crew for their new local lifestyle show. More importantly, Gui Er, I really miss you, can't you come home this Christmas?"

"I really really miss you too but-

"Hey Ear Ear!* You left the door unlocked again! I know you feel safe with me and the crew next door, but a single lady should take some precautions. Not all guys here such gentlemen. Anyway, let's start on the choreo. Did you eat yet? I am starving, can we order some take out? Chinese sound good?"

(*A/N: Korean accented pronunciation for Gui sounds like the Korean word “gwi” for ear)

"Oppa! If you were such a gentleman, you would have rung the doorbell or at least knocked, instead of just waltzing in. Again, I am not single! Give me some time, I am busy right now. Help yourself to whatever is in the fridge. Sorry Ya Lun, going back to Taiwan this year is a bit hard, especially if I want to perform as the opening act in the graduation showcase. Can you come to Korea for your grad trip? I can show you around."

"Who was that?"

"Ok Taecyeon oppa? He is the dance instructor's assistant I told you about 8 months ago. He graduated from Kirin Art Institute three years ago, but came back to work part-time. He and his dance crew 2PM lives-

"Gui Gui, what were you planning to do with just a head of cabbage, three shiitake mushrooms, and a whole raw chicken?"

"Sorry again Aaron, I will be right back!" He had no chance to protest before his girlfriend of three years disappeared from the screen leaving an empty desk chair in her place on the monitor. Her voice along with this oppa could be heard – if Ya Lun concentrated, which is exactly what he did– from a distance. He felt an unidentifiable and uncomfortable emotion stirring as he listened on to their banter in the background.

"Taec Oppa! I meant help yourself to the drinks, why did you pull out my groceries? I was planning to make a Taiwanese style chicken soup tonight."

"I've never seen you cook since we first met, are you sure you can handle an entire chicken?"

"You speak as if we've known each other for years! I am not even afraid of live chickens, a dead one should be no problem."

"I should order some Chinese anyway, you know, just in case."

"Geez oppa, if you are so worried why don't you help me with this chicken! I also have some kimchi and eggs, and maybe some ham, we can do something with that."

"Don't you mean to ask if I can do something with those? Since I am so nice, I'll make us some Kimchi Fried Rice."

"Thank you oppa, not too spi-

"Spicy, I know, I would be a fool to repeat the cocoa dragon incident, but now that I think back on it, you looked hilarious. I would make this rice more spicy, just to see it again."

"You are out of luck oppa, I have no cocoa powder in my apartment. Don't you dare add that glob of chili paste."

"Just focus on that soup of yours. The crew said they are coming over in an hour or so."

"Wait, we won't have enough food for the whole crew!"

"It's only five more people."

"You guys eat enough for 500. You should've been called Beast dance crew."

"There is another crew called Beast already."

"At this rate we won't be able to work on my choreo."

"You were the one who was busy earlier, what were you doing anyway?"

"Video cha- gasp - he is still waiting for me!" The forgetful girl dashed off, apron and all, leaving a bubbling pot on the "unattended" stove.

"Your soup!"

"Keep an eye on it for me!" Ya Lun flinched at the sudden increase of volume, as Gui returned to the screen and turned her head, yelling towards her kitchen.

"Sorry I took so long, where were we?"

"Does he come over often? What's the cocoa dragon incident?"

"Not too frequently. Only more in the past month, cause of the showcase. We usually have community dinners up on the rooftop with the rest of 2PM and some of my classmates who also live in this building. One time we had Korean style BBQ, where we made lettuce wraps filled with grilled meat, a perilla leaf, garlic, and seasoned chili paste. Oppa decided to prank me by putting extra garlic and chili in my wrap, and you know how I have a low tolerance for spicy food. I had one bite and had to reach for the closest sweet food -- which happened to be instant hot chocolate -- to alleviate the pain in my mouth, but I choked, and the cocoa powder flew out my mouth in smokey brown puffs as I coughed. It's funny now when I talk about it, but I seriously thought I was going to die at the time. Oppa might have a recording of it on his phone. I can send it to you. "

"Sounds like you are having a lot of fun. Should I be worried that you might not want to come home?"

"Ah Bu, you don-

Gui's attention was once again stolen from Aaron – who was starting to become irritated – by a obnoxiously consistent ring of the doorbell and bustle from a group outside.

"Gui Gui Hyeonsu, open the door! We come with dinner!"

"The door should be unlocked, guys!"

"I locked it on my way in."

"Oh, opps, hold on, I am walking over!"

"Wow it smells great! Is that kimchi fried rice?"

"I smell chicken, Hyeonsu, you really didn't have to."

"Hyung, just marry her already, before she flies back to Taiwan!"

"I did most of the work here, she just dropped the chicken into boiling water and left it to go video chat with her boyfriend who is waiting for her in Taiwan."

"Sorry oppa..."

"Awe bummer, it's rare to see Taec so lively and bright. You really should consider becoming our Hyeonsu. Having you around makes Taecyeon less boring."

"Oppa is not boring! Besides he has enough crazy around him without me."

"She is even defending him while dissing us, they are getting married for sure!"

"Stop it guys, Aaron Yan can probably hear you all."

"Who's Aaron Yan?"

"My boyfriend. Hold on, I'll introduce him." She quickly slipped back into her room leaving Taec and the crew to talk among themselves.

"He's real?! I thought she was just pretending to prevent unwelcomed suitors."

"Looks like he has some competition though, just look at Hyung . He is tall, masculine, smart, musically talented, a great dancer, and an awesome cook on top of all that."

"Ya Lun, can I introduce you to Oppa and 2PM?"

"Sure, I've been wanting to meet the people taking care of you in my place." 

Gui set out to the living room with her laptop snug in her arms, but the scene she came back to almost caused her to drop the device.

"Hey, leave me some food! I leave for one minute and the table is cleared."

"Just take some from Taec. He ate as he cooked anyway."

"My plate is the one in the middle. Hand me your laptop, I'll set it up to the TV."

After proper introductions, Gui started to eat, while Ya Lun made small talk with Nichkhun, the other fluent English speaker besides Taecyeon.

"Jal Meokgesseumnida!* Wow the soup is better than I expected!"

(*A/N: Jal Meokgesseumnida - phrase used before a meal, used to thank thoese who prepared it, something like "I'll eat well") 

"You should be thankful I tasted the soup before bringing it out, it was flavorless! I get most of the credit for tonight's meal.

"I made this soup. All you did was add salt."

"Exactly, salt makes the whole dish. Without it we would be drinking bland chicken water."

"As if! Chicken and cabbage are naturally sweet and flavorful ."

"That is my point. They are not naturally salty. You need salt to bring out such flavors from the ingredients, which I also prepped for that matter!"

"Oppa you Jjandori! Can't we just share the credit?"

"Who is teaching her Korean?! You were waiting for a chance to call me a cheapskate in my native tongue weren't you?"

"I learned from all the Kdramas Unnie recommended."

"I officially ban you from watching until your showcase is over."

"No fair, that's not till next fall semester!"

"Too bad, who told you to call me stingy."

"I was just kidding! Oppa please?"

"Nope, acting cute will not help you. I am standing my ground."

"Hyung, Hyeonsu, you two might want to stop bickering like a married couple. His face is getting darker by the second. I am afraid he will start shooting lasers through the TV screen with his eyes." Wooyoung pointed at the television cowering at Aaron sudden question, sending a chilly edge with his voice.

"Why do you guys call Gui Er 'Hyeonsu'?"

"Since they call Taec oppa 'Hyung' which is a term for younger males to address older males, especially if they have a close relationship or is directly related by blood. 'Hyeonsu' is sister-in-law from the older brother, implying that I am oppa's wife." Gui explained without realizing she got caught up with all the technicality and forgot to give the most important clarification.  

"And you are perfectly fine with this nickname?" Aaron regretted his own tone of voice, but it was not the time nor place to back down from interrogating his distant girlfriend. Does she even realize what she is saying here?

"It's only a joke, besides they are like my family away from home." Gui answered still clueless to the tension in the room. Does he understand what I am saying?

"Don't worry man, I am not her type. I knew from the first time we met that she has you. Even if I didn't know, Gui Gui is more like a little sister to me." Taec explained having understood the entire situation and seeing the unease on Aaron's face.

"Yea, sorry dude. we should have been more considerate when joking around. We only called her 'Hyeonsu' because they always bicker and Hyung became more playful and cheery after hanging out with Gui Gui."

"You aren't helping! Hyeons- Gui Gui is into pretty boys who are chivalrous and affectionate. Hyung doesn't stand a chance against you, Aaron."

“That's why you were so shy around Khun when I first introduced you to the crew!? Because Nichkhun is your ideal type? Gui Gui, you shouldn't hang out with him anymore, I am banning him from community dinners from now on.”

“OPPA! Stop saying things to make Ah Bu misunderstand! Nichkhun is just a friend! You guys are making things worse.”

“Alright I will stop, if we keep going you might actually cry. Or you might not talk to me for an entire week, we can't have that if you are going to be on track with your showcase performance.”

“You are just afraid you won't get any more free food!”

“I am not that much of a scrooge. I can afford to feed myself, in fact I can even treat you to a meal, if you complete the choreography for the final act of the showcase within the next three months, without help!”

“You can't take that back oppa! I want a full 3-course meal. Isn't the final act supposed to be a collaboration though? Wait a minute, you scammer, there is no way to put together the final act without help, such help is required!”

“I forget you are smart sometimes, since you are always so forgetful and clumsy. Fine, I will treat you to a meal since I failed in tricking you.”

“YAY thank you Oppa~”

“You and your aegyo*... shouldn't this side of yours be exclusive for your boyfriend?” Taec directed Gui's line of sight to the screen, only to be faced with a black surface.

(*A/N: Aegyo is cute affectionate display, usually with a baby voice and various facial expressions)

“I think he hung up... Hyeonsu, you might be in some deep trouble when you go back to Taiwan.”

“Oh no, what have we done?”

“I think we should call it a night, thanks for dinner. Gui Gui we can work on your stage tomorrow on campus. You might want to contact Aaron again. Oh yea, there was a letter for you in my mailbox for some reason, I left it on the coffee table.” Taecyeon ushered the crew out of the apartment with an apologetic and concerned look, giving the poor girl some space and time to mend her now somewhat shaky relationship. I got so use to the usual flow with Oppa and the crew around that I did not realize how Ah Bu would feel if he saw this for the first time. I hope I can get through to him. My feelings haven't changed. I have not wavered, not even for a second! Gui kept trying to reach the unresponsive Aaron for the next hour, in the time spent waiting, she opened up the mysterious letter.

 

Gui Gui Wu,

Reassurance may not be delivered through words alone. Sometimes a warm hug speaks louder than any speech you can ever give. We know you think there is no way to give your anxious lover a hug, be assured, I got you covered.

~Your Secret Santa~

 

Gui was almost brought to tears at the sight of a round trip ticket for a flight from Seoul to Taipei, scheduled to leave once her school lets out for winter break, which was in a week. She tried calling Ya Lun once again to tell him the good news, however, the other line remained disconnected. 1,484 kilometers away, Aaron cursed at his dead laptop which awaited him on his desk the moment he came out from a shower – an extra one he took to cool his head. Ok Taecyeon really is a decent guy, I can't help weighing myself against him. Being three years older than I, he is more mature, more financially independent, more muscular, more patient, more engaging, and overall more of a man than I am. I know Gui was most likely oblivious to the way he looks at her, to the way he unknowingly flirts with her, and also to the implications of the crew, but why do I still feel so angry? I probably miss her too much. I've finally cooled down but this dumb laptop is making me mad, maybe I need another shower, better yet, I should just go to sleep and hope tomorrow is a better day. The heated lad missed the flashing screen and vibrates from his phone which still buried in his school bag, as he plopped down on his bed. Back in Seoul, Gui saw the time and knew that Ya Lun probably went off to dreamland, most likely still fuming, and gingerly gave up on her attempts to reach him, She dialed another number, one she knew would always connect no matter what time it was.

“Hello? Sorry, did I wake you?”

“No worries Gui, whats wrong? Did you have a serious fight with Ya Lun?”

“I think – ragged breath- I might have- sniffle – unintentionally made him-- soft sob- angry. Oppa and I-

The rest of her sentence came out in chokes of uncontrollable sobs, all her words stringing together incoherently, as she broke into eventual wailing. After she calmed down, she explained her dilemma again with all the details to the calming presence on the other line.

“You know how Taecyeon oppa and I are close and playfully argue often, just like with Geo Ge. But I did not realize that Ah Bu might not have known our friendly interactions goes to the extent it did. It's not like either of us have romantic intentions towards each other, but now that I had some time to think alone, I know it was not right of me, especially since that was the first time Aaron and Taec Oppa were formally introduced. I did talk about oppa and the crew often when I called or video chat with Ya Lun and he seemed really calm, so I just subconsciously assumed if he saw our usual banter he would still be okay. He hung up while we were video chatting with the group present, but I did not notice at the time because Oppa and I were arguing about dinner. I called him many times right after everyone left but I think he is really angry, he won't pick up at all. What should I do Ni Jie?”

“Xiao Wei and I will find a time to meet up with him to understand his side of the story, then I can get back to you with his condition. In the mean time, why don't you work out a time to come back to Taiwan briefly, it might be better to clear up things with him in person. Don't worry too much Gui, he understands you better than anyone. Three years is a pretty long time. Besides, your relationship survived the whole year while you were abroad, especially through the first half, which usually is the hardest period for a long distance couple. On the bright side, having a fight for the first time after all this time might be good for you both, when you make up you will become an even closer and stronger couple.”

“I sure hope so, I did get a plane ticket to come back once break begins. Speaking of which, can you or Geo ge pick me up from the airport? I want to give Ya Lun a surprise, it might help us make up.”

“Of course! Just send me your itinerary! I am so excited to see you~”

“Thanks again Ni Ni, I don't know what I would do without you.”

“Anytime sis. I am always venting to you about things when Hu Yu Wei makes me mad. I am glad I can do something for you in return. Its getting late, you should get some rest.”

“Goodnight Annie!”

Gui went to bed grateful for her sister-like best friend, making a note to bring her some extra facial care products from Seoul on her return. On that said day, Gui exited the terminal with unusual nerves, even though George and Annie did their best to act as a bridge between her and her boyfriend, whom she hasn't talked to for an entire week – albeit not by her choice. She didn't expect him to come rushing at her outside the gate, crushing her in a tight embrace. He stifled her chance to speak with a hungry kiss, both of them too preoccupied with savoring the other's physical proximity to hear all the applause, whistles, and cat calls from the surrounding crowds at the airport. He poured all his emotions onto her with more uninterrupted lip locking – pressing her closer, if that was even possible at this point – which she returned with the same intensity and mindset. I'm sorry. I've missed you. After they pulled apart, their heavy breathing and heart beats returned to their normal pace, she spoke the first words to him after a long grueling seven days.

“How did you know I was coming back? I wanted it to be a surprise.”

“Secret Santa told me, with this.” He showed her the printed flight information and read her the letter he received that morning, while grasping her hand tightly, as if he was afraid she would fly back to Korea otherwise.

 

Aaron Yan,

Jealousy is that burning feeling you felt every time the term “Oppa” sounded from your lover's lips. Rein in that messy feeling by claiming those lips; so you might become the object of jealousy rather than its subject.

~Your Secret Santa~

 

“Now I am 99% certain Ni Ni and Geo Ge is our secret santa. They were the only ones who knew I was coming back for the week. Wait, Op-

She paused and looked at her boyfriend seeking permission to speak of the subject of his previous jealousy and only continued when she saw the reassuring smile on his face and in his warm eyes.

“Oppa also knew, since I had to work out a system with him. So that we can continue working on the choreography while I am in Taiwan. But I am unsure if he has anything to do with Secret Santa, although he was the one who gave me my gift for this year. It was in his mailbox, but the strange thing was, there was no address on the envelope, just my name. Maybe he's in on it too, but from Korea, how would he even know about something that started in Taiwan three years ago?”

“You really do talk about Ok Taecyeon a lot.” He quipped too soon, feeling something light the fuse he thought was smothered earlier.

“This is a different matter! I am talking about Secret Santa right now! There is no need to be jealous Ah Bu. I am here with you aren't I?! Oppa is just a friend, maybe like an older brother. I don't understand why you are okay with Geo ge and I being close but not Taecyeon oppa!”

“You don't get the way he looks at you!”

“I only thing I don't get, is the way you see him!”

“Why are you defending him?”

“I am not defending him, I am defending myself, why are you getting so offensive?”

“I really don't want to argue about this anymore. I thought we made up just now, but I guess I am mistaken.”

“I don't want to argue with you either Yan Ya Lun. I haven't done anything wrong against you or our relationship, but you make me feel as if I should be guilty.”

“Are you? At this point, I really don't know, Wu Ying Jie.”

“How can you even say that? You know the only one I love is you, this whole time. Three years, Aaron Yan, I haven't once looked at anyone else!”

“Sure, three, but maybe you started to-

Finally snapping out of his delirious overly-jealous state at the sight of Gui's hot flowing tears, Aaron regretted ever opening his mouth, knowing he just drove a nail into his own coffin. What's gotten into me! She is right here, with me, telling me she loves me. Its what I wanted, isn't it? His chance to apologize was robbed when Gui's wet eyes widened and her lips parted with a loud gasp. He followed her gaze and felt his chest burning even more with jealousy and anxiety. I might really loose her this time, if I don't grow up.

“It's a really bad time for me to be here isn't it?”

“Oppa? Why?”

“You left the most important thing behind dumb dumb.” He lightly smacked her on the head with a red folder.

“My notes! You are a life saver! Thanks oppa. You didn't have to come all the way to Taiwan just to hand them to me though. You could have just emailed the scans over or just drop them onto our shared cloud.”

“So conceited, I did not come just for you. The only person who would fly to another country in a heartbeat for you would be your boyfriend here. My friend is opening up a dance studio here, I came to support him. I honestly did not think I would see you at the airport. Anyway, since we are both here, lets find some time to work on your project. Before that, those tears aren't for me are they? If they were, it would not be very appropriate.”

Gui wiped her eyes, finally smiling at Taec's joke, much to Ya Lun's dismay.

“Who's the conceited one now? I was definitely not crying for you! Good thing you are here though, help me get one thing through to this blockhead here!” She pleaded to the older guy with and angry pout, motioning to the remorseful younger man beside her.

“Rest assured Gui Gui's boyfriend, we've been hearing only good things about you nonstop, every time we hang out with her. I heard the most, from the moment we met really. Makes me so jealous, not of you specifically though. We actually only became close because I found the photo of you two that she dropped in the cafe the day before school started. She wanted to thank me for returning it, so she treated me to coffee and we got to talking; we found out we both major(ed) in dance, that I am the TA for her class, and that we are next door neighbors. Eventually, she ended up being a little sister type of existence in my life.”

“Too bad for you oppa, there is only one me in this world. You will meet your other half eventually!”

“Thank goodness there is only one!”

“Are we clear now Ah Bu~~”

“Ah, now that is your aegyo. I take back my statement. That side of you was only for him to see after all.” Taec covered his eyes faking an exaggerated look of being blinded by Gui's public display of affection, as she hooked her arms around Aaron's waist and stared at him cutely, then pressing herself close to him to give him a light kiss. He hummed in response, finally relived that his threat was not a threat at all, but rather a thread which tied him closer to the love of his life. He still felt there were some important things left unsaid during their reconciliation, so he whispered softly into her ear after they left the airport and returned to her house.

“I'm sorry Gui Er. I should not have been so jealous. Being apart for so long made me more uneasy than I expected. Thank you for coming back to Taiwan, even if its only for a week.”

“I am sorry too Ya Lun. I should have been more mindful when interacting with other guys, especially when you are not beside me. Thank you for letting me chase my dreams of being a world class dancer in Korea, for two years to be exact.”

“Only 183 more days to go, until you are back for good. Who knows, maybe by then, I will be the one to travel far away and meet someone to make you jealous, because of my aspirations to be a director.”

“I'd like to see you try Aaron Yan Ya Lun.”

“Don't you regret it Gui Gui Wu Ying Jie.”

“Seriously, I believe in you, well the part about you becoming a director. Don't you go off meeting woman to stir up my jealousy.”

“You can dance away with other guys for career purposes, but make sure to save the last dance for me, only me.”

The couple exchanged many more sweet and some passionate kisses between their conversation and in their remaining time together; making up for the 365 days spent apart as well as storing up enough love for the next six separated months ahead.