Gift 7

12 Gifts From Secret Santa

 I do not own any of the characters. This is for entertainment purposes only. Any plot similarities to other FF and stories/movies are coincidental. Character thoughts in Italicized, and Bold for emphasis. Blue text are hyperlinked to photos of item described.


In a very familiar school cafe, a nervous senior held her finger over the enter key of her laptop, while a finally seasoned college freshman sat beside her, only somewhat patiently.

“Did you send it yet?”

“No. I am scared, what if I missed something?”

“We went over your application twelve times already, its fine.”

“Ok – takes a deep breath – I am sending it now. Done.”

“I know you will get in Gui Er.”

“I hope so, if I do get accepted, we will be a campus couple again!”

“We already are a campus couple.”

“Not since you've graduated.”

“You won't get lost on my campus again would you?”

“Of course not! I've been to your college enough by now. So much, I feel like I already attend the school.”

“I still remember the first time you went to meet me. You took so long to find our meeting place.”

“That was totally your fault Ya Lun! Who told you to change the location so last minute.”

~[FLASHBACK]~

Outside the gates of the National Taiwan University of Arts stood a confused and slightly scared 18 year old girl, whose only ever walked the halls of a high school campus. In her quivering hands was a map of the college campus, with the college of communications was circled in bright red. No one paid the poor girl any attention as she paced around trying to ask for directions. In her other hand was her phone, which was currently sending out a call of distress to her dear college freshman who has both his hands and head filled by double majoring in motion pictures along with radio and television. Such calls were not received, much to her dismay and fears. Yan Ya Lun, why don't you pick up! We agreed to meet up at your campus. You promised to pick me up at the gate. Forget this, I will try to find you myself. Gui stormed into the crowds following the map to the best of her abilities and eventually found herself in front of the correct building. Pulling out another helpful item – his course schedule – she attempted to find his classroom, this time with some luck and help from a friendly stranger. However, her luck seemed to have fallen short when she entered a completely empty lecture hall. Where could he possibly be?! Just wait till I find you Mister Yan. The tired girl sat in one of the seats and opened up her map, surveying every inch to find a place her boyfriend of one year would most likely be and saw the perfect place. She rushed off immediately, and was about to reach the cafe doors, when they flung wide open causing her to collide with the figure emerging. A familiar pair of arms encircled her back and waist steadying her before the force of their bump sent her falling backwards towards the cool dusty floor.

“Sorry!” They exclaimed at the same time, laughing at the wave of deja vu that washed over them.

“Ah Bu, I finally found you! Why do we always seem to meet for the “first” time at cafe doors, by some accident – literally.”

“Gui Er, we should just make this scene our trademark.”

“I know this is your field of study, but you sound like a director already.”

“Oh no, I am far from it. You give me too much credit.”

“Only for this, for keeping your word, you get none.”

“What do you mean, you are the one who is late.”

“We agreed to meet at the front gate! I was there for twenty minutes before I decided to just come find you. I walked all over this campus. Now I am a breathing icicle.”

“Sorry, but hey, now you won't ever get lost here.”

“All thanks to you, Aaron Yan Ya Lun.”

“Don't be mad.” The apologetic young lad, held his freezing huffing girlfriend closer, running his hands up and down her forearms in attempt to warm her back up.

“I wasn't mad Yan Xian Sheng*.”

“Really now? You even used my full name. I know you better than that Wu Xiao Jie*.”

(*A/N Xian Sheng is for mister; Xiao Jie is for miss, so he called her Miss Wu; both can be used jokingly, or in their case, when they are teasingly mad at the other)

“Fine, maybe a little angry. You should have told me we were meeting here instead. What if I didn't know you as well as I did? Then we might have totally missed each other. Also, why didn't you answer your phone?”

“It ran out of battery, I had to use the camera app for the whole class session. On a more important note, I think I know what your make you feel better.”

Taking her by the hand, Aaron led the frowning young lady inside the cafe. He stopped in front of the cake window and pointed to a slice of strawberry short cake.

“Try again. That only works when I am sad. I will give you a hint. Long Boxed dozen.”

He ushered her to a seat, filled with new found confidence and ordered the anger dispelling treat – 12 decadent french macarons. He felt a need for something sweet to calm his nerves before presenting his second “guess” to Gui, so he chose his favorite dutch chocolate and had the mini circular dessert in a bite. Her face brightened at the sight of her favorite dessert and she motioned for her now forgiven boyfriend to sit across from her. She even began to contemplate offering one to Ah Bu, until she realized the dozen she got, wasn't a full dozen.

“Where is the last one?” She asked, her tone cooler than the air outside.

“I ate it on the way here.” He gulped, frozen in place, despite the fact that it wasn't even winter yet.

“Should I partially forgive you then, since I only got part of your apology.”

“I sorry Gui Er, but these were the last ones. I do know of a way you can still taste the I ate.” He suggested a hint of hope in his voice as he moved to sit beside her.

“How?” Her eyebrow raised at his strange idea. He moved in slightly and she jerked back immediately, finally knowing what Ya Lun meant.

“No way, I am still mad at you. I don't want my first kiss to be under this kind of circumstance! Make up kisses should be for later in the relationship, say a year or two from now. I think we both need some time and space to ourselves right now.” The unrelenting girl stood up and walked out of the cafe, leaving the stunned boy inside for a time of self-reflection. His time alone was interrupted moments later, by the cafe's server.

“Tong Xue, I was told to give this to you.” The polite student worker handed Aaron a semi-transparent parchment sleeve with a pink ribbon securing a note to its opening. A small circular bump could be seen in the tiny package.

 

Aaron Yan,

Selfishness was the moment you decide to have the little chocolaty treat to yourself. Your choice may have seemed like a harmless act, since your girlfriend is normally generous; however, there is a time and place to act on your own needs. Use this extra macaron to make up with your other half.

~Your Secret Santa~

 

Under normal circumstances, Ya Lun would have felt very offended by Secret Santa's gift choice and note's wording. Yet this time he knew, letting his chance to cheer Gui Er up pass, all because he was insulted, would really be a selfish thing to do. Without delay, the desperate lad put the sacred treat safe in his coat pocket and dashed out of the cafe into the cold, determined to find his long gone girl, no matter how many “twenty minutes” it would take. Luckily for him, his love was enjoying the rest of his first apology on a nearby bench, her attention unwavering from the sugary rounds even as he approached her.

“Still angry? I brought you a little something.” He put the mini parcel in her almost empty dessert box. She opened it and smiled in delight.

“Forgive me? I should have went to the school gate just in case, but I wanted to escape to cold autumn wind. It was selfish of me.”

“I will trade you my coffee macaron for the chocolate one.” She held out the light brown espresso scented treat to his lips, which he gladly accepted.

“You already forgave me after having the first macaron, haven't you?”

She hummed in response, savoring the rich cocoa flavor of the dessert from her sweet boyfriend.

“Do you want a taste of the coffee macaron?”

“Sure, but you ate it all alre-

She did not get to finish her remark as his lips lightly but somewhat impatiently found hers. They both had the same thought as he pulled away, each blushing at his and her own selfish desires. Our first kiss was like a warm mocha, not bad at all. Just one more taste... Without thinking further, she leaned in and gave him a soft but steady second kiss, once more letting a perfect blend of chocolate and coffee fill their senses. I can never see or drink a mocha the same again. Ya Lun thought at his girlfriend's bold advance.

“Ah Bu, secret santa strikes again.”

“I rather you strike again.” He replied unfiltered, still under the spell of their last kiss.

“Yan Ya Lun! I am being serious.” She pouted at his thirst for another “specialty coffee” since she already broke away from the cafe mood.

“So was I Gui Er.” He retaliated with by giving her a quick peck, earning him a light fist to the chest.

“You are impossible, Aaron Yan.” But I like you regardless.

“So are you, Gui Gui Wu.” But I like you just the same.

~[FLASHBACK END]~

“Ok, it was my bad, sorry Wu Xiao Jie.”

“I know you aren't really sorry Yan Xian Sheng.”

"How can I prove to you my apology is sincere?”

“Try to find me! And bring the thing you used to make it up to me last time, properly, if I may add.”

“I know, I've learned since then.”

After a while, Ya Lun found his mischievous girl at her desk in homeroom, napping.

“You are going to catch a cold Miss Wu.” He took off his coat and laid it softly over her shoulders, then gave her a light kiss on the cheek. She smiled naturally at his touch and pulled the jacket more tightly around her, still half-asleep, surrounding herself with the comforting familiar scent of her caring boyfriend and her favorite laundry detergent – his.

She only fully awoke when he pulled out the slender box of 12 – all 12 – macarons and set it on the empty space before her. She sat upright, sleepily and opened slightly.

“Ah.” He obediently complied to her selfish request, putting her favorite strawberry macaron into , without missing the chance to steal a kiss after. He chuckled at her groggy response – delayed furrowed brows and slow slight pout.

“Ah Bu, another~” With her cute plead, he closed the gap between their faces once more, savoring the burst of berry flavor left on his lips.

“I meant another macaron.” She said with a half-irked sigh after they separated.

“What I gave you was way sweeter. You have much to learn when it comes to being romantic, Wu Ying Jie. ” He joked, feeding her another sugary sandwich.

She rolled her eyes at his jesting, but gave him another kiss anyway.

“Sweet enough for you Yan Ya Lun?” She asked with a teasing smile and loving eyes. He looked at her warmly. Too sweet Gui Er, you give me a sugar rush. The rest of their days together during Gui's long wait for her application results were similarly sweet.

“Ah Bu!!! Look!” The ecstatic spring attire sporting girl waved a letter excitedly in front of a preoccupied young lad's face.

“Gui Er I am working on this project for my Photography class right now, I will look at your paper later.”

“But I –

“Sorry, can you give me some time, about an hour? Wait for me in the cafe, I will explain everything later.”

“Fine.” The neglected girl sulked off in the direction of the campus cafe, letting her disappointment ring loud as she let the door slam naturally, disrupting the thoughts of her boyfriend. Geez, what was so important? I told her I would look at it, just not right this instant. She knew I was working on this project the whole semester, and that its important to my passing of this course. Besides, there is an even more important reason I want to finish this soon. Why can't she see that? She can be so selfish sometimes.

Gui sat in the quite cafe, a slightly crumpled letter in her hand. Her emotions rang loud through the silence around her. I can't believe him. When we first started dating, actually, up till we had our first kiss he was so sweet, always making time for me, Now my good news, mainly good for him anyway, is brushed aside for a project! I get that it is an important project, but it is not like I am asking his a whole day. I just wanted to tell him one thing! Why can't he see that? He can be so selfish sometimes. Her angry train of thought was cut short by a cafe staff member.

“Miss, this was left for you at our counter.”

Gui Gui curiously opened up the box set on the table in front of her. A note was found atop of a document and a photo book.

 

Gui Gui Wu,

Selfishness was when you assumed what was important to your boyfriend in this moment was the same as what was very urgent to you. Hopefully this compilation of his efforts will give you a better picture of what he values most.

~Your Secret Santa~

 

Gui pulled out the other paper from the box and unfolded to reveal a project assignment details document. “'Picture Love' In this project, you are to make a portfolio of pictures that represent what love is to you. A title for your collection is required. Captions are required for your choice of twelve best shots out of the entire collection.”

Gui looked in awe at the front cover of the photo book which was labled 『無言』* by Aaron Yan

(* Chinese term for speechless, pronounced Wu Yan, which sounds like their last names combined, although their last names are written differently)

She flipped through the album and there were exactly twelve photos, each labeled with his neat penmanship. With each passing frame, the self-reflecting girl was more overcome with emotion, both regretful of what she just did and of being touched at the boy's unspoken heart.

Photo 1: “Happiness” Two mugs and a fuzzy blanket on the mahogany table of their high school cafe

Photo 2:“After Sadness” A slice of strawberry cake

Photo 3: “Pleasant Detour” Bus stop where Aaron accidentally got off and back on the day he met Gui, making her laugh to the point of tears in front of the whole bus full of people

Photo 4: “Joy” two laminated concert ticket stubs on Ya Lun's heart-shaped puzzle piece key chain

Photo 5: “Comfort” DVD of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and a bucket of popcorn

Photo 6: “Best Breakfast” A stack of pancakes with cup of hot chocolate.

Photo 7: “Timeless Chivalry” Aaron's Mustang with a knight bumper sticker

Photo 8: “Patience” An hourglass with a hand-painted design of a caterpillar changing into a butterfly

Photo 9: “Courage” His lion plush doll on a bench with an Adventure Land in the background

Photo 10: “Proximity” A a Ferris-wheel during sunset.

Photo 11: “Selfishness” An incomplete dozen of eleven macarons in a gift box

Photo 12: “First Kiss” A signboard in a cafe, shutter-focused on the word 'Mocha' while the rest of the menu is more blurred.

Finally understanding why her boyfriend seemed so preoccupied, Gui held the photo book close to her, silently thanking him, before she went over all the photos again and again replaying each memory that went along with it.

“Ah, you weren't suppose to see it yet! How did you get your hands on the first part of my project?! The finished project was suppose to be my congratulatory gift to you for getting into TUA. Now the surprise is ruined.” Ya Lun exclaimed as he saw a familiar photo book in Gui's hands once he entered the cafe, having finally finished his task.

“Wait, you already knew? You have our ever mysterious Secret Santa to thank.” Gui remarked closing the album to give her love her full attention.

“I saw our university logo on the letter you were waving around, and since you were so excited it could only mean one thing. Besides, I've always believed in you. Anyway, these days I can't tell if Secret Santa is helping or harming. Then again, their timing is always so impeccable.”

“Don't you find it strange, that they only give gifts to us whenever our relationship isn't 'progressing'? In fact, I only talked to you because of the first gift.”

“More like we only met because of the gift. I never would have gone to our high-school's cafe otherwise.”

“Could it be that, this whole thing was to set us up?”

“But who would ever- my sister. It has to be her.”

“And we are back to our findings from last year, but we still have no evidence. Penny is one tough nut to crack. Even I cannot get a sound out of her on this subject, and she tells me way more than she tells you.”

“I give up. Let's just enjoy the fruits of their labor. If we ever find out who it is, we return the favor. How does that sound?”

“Agreed. So how do we 'enjoy' this situation per say?”

“Like this...” He stood up and leaned across the table, one hand on the middle of the smooth wooden surface for support, the other hand lifting his girlfriend's chin so he could capture her lips fully. One of her free hands found his on the table, and the other resting on lightly his arm which was extended towards her, so his hand could now cup her face, as he slowly deepened their kiss giving her time to respond. Thankfully, at least for Gui Er, their first french kiss was a private moment to treasure, for the cafe was still empty. They exited the cafe, snug in each other's arm – his around her shoulder, and hers around his waist – faces blooming pink before they eventually resumed their normal conversations about the rest of his school year and her upcoming graduation.

“Ya Lun, be my date to prom?”

“Don't guys normally ask?”

“You already did that your senior year! Now its my turn.”

“Where's my banner and song or promposal like event?”

“I just gave you a French style one back in the cafe!” She exclaimed feeling the delayed embarrassment at her own mention of their first intense make-out session.

“If I remember correctly, I initiated that one too. You say its your turn this time right?”

“Yan Xian Sheng, stop being a selfish tease. If you go to prom with me, I will consider it.”

“I let you off the hook for now Gui Er. You better thank Secret Santa for giving us the gift of selfishness; I will hold back today, so they don't give us repeats.” He whispered in her ear rather ily, inducing a blush from the unsuspecting girl.

“I am perhaps more selfish than you are, Ah Bu. The only reason I am refusing your advances is because I want to keep this side of you all to myself. I don't want to give these roadside people a free service.” She whispered back, slightly taken aback at her own honesty. He grinned at her bold response, feeling a faint blush creep up his neck to his face. You have no idea. I want to keep this side of you to myself too, Wu Xiao Jie.

According to their wishes, this “selfish-side" was their little secret during the night of Gui's senior prom, when they sneaked away from the dancing crowds in the Sheng Ying Ballroom to enjoy Gui's “promised Parisian event” for Aaron, filled with sweetness – starting from the macarons she brought, which they shared quite intimately. Secret Santa who were once again satisfied with the couple's progress, decided to take a break. Which they enjoyed until the next year, when Gui Gui made another rather selfish but not unreasonable decision: to which Aaron responded within reason, with equal selfishness, arguably.