Gift 3

12 Gifts From Secret Santa

I do not own any of the characters. This is for entertainment purposes only. Any plot similarities to other FF and stories/movies are coincidental. Character thoughts in Italicized, and Bold for emphasis. Blue underlined are hyperlink to photos of item described.


That same night in their respective rooms, Aaron and Gui Gui twisted and turned under their covers too excited for the next day to sleep. Although there was a meter wide hallway between their rooms, Aaron could not shake the fact that the girl who had not failed to capture his attention the first moment he entered the cozy café was so close by nor could he contain his happiness. However, a pang of worry struck him.

Would she so easily let another guy in to stay over, just as she did with me? Moreover, it is only the first day they met. What if another guy was in the same situation at the time… would her reaction be the same… another man’s head could be on this pillow, his body in the warmth of these same sheets… his mind also filled with these doubts and thoughts of her... No! I refuse to even acknowledge the existence of this possibility! I must get this off my mind in order to have a good sleep, that’s it, I will just go ask her directly…

Before Aaron even finished his thought he already sat up, stormed to the door and put his hand on its cold handle. With one swift motion he swung the door open, prepared to walk ahead five steps to knock on her door and demand an explanation. To his surprise her door also swung open and the girl in question also had a determined look on her face.

“What?!”

His shocked expression was answered with a burst of laughter and a soft smile soon afterwards.

“Um… I was just thinking…uh… never mind… did you need something?”

“No… not really… I was also just thinking… uh... Gui Gui…”

“Yes Aaron?”

“Never mind… anyway why are you still up?”

“I don’t really know myself… it could be that…” Her thoughts trailed off to a moment before this awkward confrontation.

~[FLASHBACK]~

Gui Gui was lying in her bed, but her mind was filled with the day’s events. Today was just too good to be true. After the guy whom seem to be the man of her dreams appeared in her favorite spot in the school, talked to her, and now is sleep only three feet and a door away. As sweet as this is, her heart was filled with unease.

Does Aaron enter any girl’s house so easily and even stay the night without protest? He does look like the popular type.. .and I am sure he has gotten many offers… perhaps to even do more than just sleep in a separate room…why, it is only the first day we’ve met… he probably did not come with any ill intentions. However… would he be the same with another woman? His head would be laying on somebody else’s pillow, his body in the warmth of their bed’s linen maybe even warm from the body of the girl…. NO! I will not let that happen! This possibility cannot exist, at least not in my mind it won’t! I have to clear up this issue before getting a wink of sleep tonight. I will ask him directly!

After she “wrapped up” her thoughts Gui Gui was already in front of her bedroom door, her warm hand on its handle. She opened the door swiftly ready to go ahead and make her way to his room to have her questions answered.

~[FLASHBACK END]~

“Earth to Gui Gui~”

“What? Ya Lun. Hi.”

“What were you thinking about?”

“You… me.”

“Hm?”

“No… just something silly. Trivial matters, really…”

“Okay…seriously, spill the beans.”

“There are no beans to spill. Please, Ah Bu, don’t make me.”

Gui Gui gave her best attempt at puppy eyes and a cute pout.

“Arg! No Fair Gui! That is cheating, using your cuteness to make me comply and let you off the hook… if that is how you are going to play then…”

Aaron s his arm around her waist and closed the distance between them, leaning in and whispering close to her ear with a slightly husky, and not to mention quite seductive voice.

“Please tell me Gui Er~”

Gui Gui shivered and immediately became beat red, she quickly ducked her head so that her ear was further away from his lips.

“I can’t…”
She whispered with a soft quivering voice, and took a quick glance at him then returned her stare at the ground. 

Aaron realizing that his actions were out of bounds, let go and backed away until his back slammed into the door.

“Ow! I am so sorry Gui Gui, I got carried away…”

Still blushing Gui Gui shook her head slightly

“Its okay… I mean its not okay to do that but... I forgive you… just don’t do it again…”

“Yea, I won’t… sorry.”

“Well, forgive me for asking but… do you do that often with your girlfriend or someone like that?”

“WHAT?!”

“I meant the whispering thing…”

“Oh… um no… that was the first time…wait. I don’t have a girlfriend, no one like that, I mean I have someone who could potentially be but for now, from the looks of it… I just lost my chance…

“What did you say after ‘I don’t have a girlfriend’? I couldn’t really hear, because you were murmmering…”

“Don’t worry about it. Don’t get me wrong, okay? I am not that easy going of a guy; I am not imitate with just any girl I meet for the first time.”

“But you just…”
“Well, with you…it’s different!”

“Excuse me?! I am not an easy girl either! I don’t just let any guy stay over on the first meeting! You are a special case, you hear me?! In fact, you are the first guy beside my relatives that has stepped foot in this house.”

“Looks like I can sleep worry-free now, Good night Gui, or should I say good morning?”

“Wait, morning?”

“Yea, it is 2 am in the morning, get some sleep or else you will have to call in sick tomorrow, in fact I would have to call in sick with you… we don’t want people to make up any rumors now.”

“2 AM?! Oh my gosh! Good night Ah Bu!”

Gui Gui went in her room as quickly as she came out before. Aaron could not help but chuckle at her cute reaction as he made his way to his bed.

Gui Gui closed her eyes and had a small smile on her face as she drifted off to sleep, her mind at ease.

I got my questions answered after all…

Aaron on the other hand, still did not get to sleep so soon. It is rather hard to sleep when you are dancing around the room while hugging a pillow and pumping your fists in the air…

Ha! Take that all other men in the world! Aaron Yan Ya Lun is the first unrelated man to be on this bed, my head is the first to rest on this pillow, and I will make sure I am the last!

 

Next Morning:

“Aaron, I know we both slept at two the morning but… you look hilarious!”

The girl continued to laugh while holding her stomach almost kneeling on the ground.

“Is it that bad? Just because you have make-up to cover those dark panda eyes, doesn’t mean you look like the most rested person in the world either!”

“Then do you want me to help you put on some make up too, Ah Bu~”

“No thank you.”

“Come on, don’t be shy! With that face of yours you could make it to the top of our school beauty charts; after me of course.”

“No need, I am already on the male version of the chart, I was awarded most handsome male student my freshman year and kept my place since then!”

He held his chin up high and gave her a charming, proud smirk.

“Oh really? Last time I checked the name on the male chart was someone named George…”

“There is no way that is possible! I checked last month, and this month’s list hasn’t even been posted yet!”

“I was just kidding, but we better hurry if we want to get to school on time.”

Aaron looked at the clock and rushed to the restroom to get ready. Gui Gui went to the kitchen and ate her share of breakfast then proceeded to pack Aaron’s breakfast, knowing he would rather skip breakfast than break his clean attendance record -- a fact she learned over dinner last night.

They both arrived at school with at least ten minutes to spare and decided to go to their new secret base, the school café. As they stepped inside, the smell of freshly roasted coffee set Aaron’s tummy into motion and it grumbled like an internal alarm clock. He went to buy a cup of peppermint mocha to warm his empty pit of a stomach; he would have liked for there to be some of his favorite crumbly coffee cake in the sweets shelf, however, they arrived too early. Gui Gui claimed the most comfy spot in the café and motioned for Aaron to sit across from her as he looked around holding his newly purchased cup of bliss. Lucky enough for him, his breakfast, a two warm slices of buttered toast, which was slightly crispy in the outside but still fluffy on the inside, appeared in front of him as he sat down. He clasped his hands in thanks to the most considerate partner he’s ever had, Gui Gui Wu Ying Jie, or as he’d wish to address her as, Gui Er.

“Okay, since we have time, let’s gather a list of people who we think may be our Secret Santa.”
“surf.”

“What?”

Aaron finished up the last bit of toast and smiled apologetically.

“Sorry, I couldn’t talk properly with my mouth full.”

“Oh no, sorry, for not noticing.”

“Now we are even, so let's come up with that list. I have a couple people in mind… I still think my sister is the one behind all this even if she denied it last time I asked.”

“Highly possible, she did approach me after this whole Secret Santa thing started. I think this senior guy who always comes by my classroom and locker hallway and smiles politely at me could be it.”

“Okay, wait who is this senior guy? I most likely know who he is. I can tell him to stay away from you if you want.”

“No, its okay I’m sure he is just being nice, and maybe he is doing this to cover up for being our secret santa. But I do want to know his name, um he is pretty tall has shortish black hair always styled with a good quality gel so that the style looks natural, a charming smile, nicely toned biceps, not the kind that makes him look like a scary wrestler though, and I think he is in the beach volleyball team…”

Gui Gui looked up from the table at Aaron and was taken back for she found him glaring at her with a look in his eyes that is unfamiliar to her.

“Sorry, I got carried away, don’t be mistaken though, its not like I particularly like him or anything, it’s just because I seen him around so much and many of the girls point out these things about him.”

“Oh no, did I scare you with the look on my face? I am like that when I am in deep thought, don’t mind me.”

“Okay, I thought it was something else…”

“Hm?”

“Nothing.”

“Looks like the bell will ring soon, we have to get to class. Let’s meet here after school to continue our discussion. See you!”

“See you later then!”

 

Lunch Time:

Aaron strides into the Junior’s school building without wanting to attract much attention, alas, he inevitably set all eyes on himself as soon as he pushed open the double doors and stepped foot on the marble hallway. Out of respect, he smiled at everyone he walked past regardless of gender, but all the girls seemed to believe he treated them specially. He stopped five feet away from his destination, reviewing in his mind the lines he mentally rehearsed for the past 3 periods. I don’t want to make any untrue rumors arise, it would be trouble for Gui Er, so I will just ask a random classmate of hers who happened to walk out. Yes, just like that guy is doing now- wait what! What is HE doing asking for her… that guy is in my grade! Short black hair that has a natural style, supposedly “charming” smile, although my smile is unarguably way more attractive, he has toned biceps, well, you can hardly call those little bumps biceps, one day I will show her what real nicely toned biceps are, and he is in beach volleyball team, well I am on the basketball team and the captain at that! He is on the most handsome male list… after me ever since freshman year, emphasis on AFTER me! Why is that George Hu asking for my partner Gui Er!? What is worse is… why did she even come out here at his request!? She is smiling so brightly at him and with those googly eyes I see everyday from my fan girls… What are they talking and laughing about!? Last thing… WHY AM I HIDING!?

Gui Gui pulled out her lunch box and was about to dig in to some of her favorite pasta when a classmate told her a good looking male senior outside is asking for her. I wonder who it is… ah, maybe it’s Aaron. I didn’t leave anything at the café did I?

“Are you Gui Gui Wu?”

“Yes, you are?” Not Aaron after all... wait he looks familiar... ah the Xue Jiang I told Ya Lun about earlier!

“George Hu. You can just call me Geo. I was told to give you this.”

He hands Gui Gui small rectangular package.

“Thank you.” Gui Gui gave him a polite smile. I got to tell Aaron about this new lead on our investigation! 

“You’re welcome, and I really like that hair accessory you have, I think it gives a very natural look.”

“I am not wearing anything on my head.”

“Haha, you are, see.” Chuckling, George removes the leaf on her head on proceeds to show her.

“I’ll give it to you as a present, since you seem to like it!”

“Why thank you very much, milady. Would you do the honors of presenting to me my crown?”

“Yes good sir, I hereby dub you prince of Taipei.” Gui Gui jokingly puts the leaf on George’s head and they share a short moment of laughter.

“I don’t want to disturb your meal time any longer, so I’ll go back to the Senior’s building. See you around Lil Ghost.”

“Okay, bye Geo!” She gives him a hyped-up wave and he lightly pats her on the head, secretly returning the leaf on top of her otherwise flawless hair, gently smiles at her and walks down the hall. Gui Gui watched him safely leave the building, internally chuckling at the leaf which fluttered down to her feet as she twirled around and went back to eat her untouched lunch. Except now, there was a crowd of girls around her desk asking her about the latest developments in her new love life. Gui Gui laughed off their jokes and gave a serious denial to their prods, stating the fact that she and George barely talked for the first time today. Somehow, the topic of discussion jumped to Aaron, who happened to go back to his own class, his mood spoiled for the rest of the day. Gui Gui skillfully convinced the girls out of their mentalities that she, the most well liked girl in their grade, could possibly have any romantic relations with either of the top two guys in the entire school at the time being. As much as I deny the fact that I probably won’t go out with George nor Aaron, I can’t help but think I do have a chance, after all even when this thought is somewhat out of my character, I cannot refute the fact that I am the most popular in my grade, and the two seem to be fond with me, at least as a friend. I am not sure about George because I just met him for the first time today… but Aaron on the other hand… no we just met recently as well, I did for some odd reason let him stay last night…and the moment I saw him was something special... at least to me…no, it must be that Aaron naturally has the appeal so every girl must feel this way, it is not a serious crush, its just his pheromones’ effect on females. And it must be because I will work closely with him until we uncover this Secret Santa mystery that I am thinking strange things, partnership like ours can be mistaken for the start of a relationship. Aye, I should just concentrate on the lecture and not think all these thoughts, if I must be thinking, it would be better to think of ways to uncover Secret Santa.

 

After School:
Aaron slammed his locker door shut startling the person next to him. He smiled apologetically and was about to walk away or more like sulk away, when the person next to him tapped him on the shoulder. He expected a fist to come flying at his face, instead a round package came colliding with his smooth forehead.

“I found this in my locker; apparently your fans are not very bright. Next time you shouldn’t let out your frustration of not receiving your daily fan gifts while I am using my locker. I really don’t appreciate having to hear this.”

The guy slammed his locker door shut in the same manner as Aaron did, hoping that Aaron would flinch or look threatened, however Aaron just smiled, apologized again and headed to the café.

I guess even someone as well liked as me have some enemies. I wonder what some girls see in him, probably it was only his face that got him on the monthly top ten guy list. Speaking of the list… the guy ranked number two… he bothers me… no, no, Aaron; don’t think too much about it. He was probably just giving her a Secret Santa gift, that’s right maybe he is the Secret Santa, or someone the Secret Santa used to get a gift to Gui Er. That is all, beside Gui Gui already said she does not like him in that way.

Filled with confidence again, Aaron pushed open the double doors and looked around the café for his partner. Seeing that she did not arrive yet, he quickly reserved the spot she liked best. If I remembered correctly, she has always sat in this spot, from the first time I saw her and from this morning she sat here…

Aaron even went so far as to order her favorite hot strawberry crème and placed it on the other side of the table, where she will sit. He smiled to himself as he made himself cozy in the seat across from hers and laid out his newly received gift on the table. After many near-unendurable seconds, Aaron’s long awaited girl entered the café and sat down in her designated spot.

“Wow, Aaron you didn’t have to”

Gui Gui looked at the drink in front of her and then at Aaron, who just smiled and motioned for her to accept his little gift.

“Then at least let me get you something.”

Gui Gui stood up and was about to go to the counter but Aaron gently grabbed her arm and had her sit back down.

“Please Aaron, I can’t just drink this and not get you anything in return.”

“It’s okay, I already had a peppermint mocha this morning. Let’s just get to work and see what our gifts are. A productive meeting would be the best gift right now.”

“Okay then, if you say so. Let’s open our gifts together,  after I drink a sip of this.”

Gui Gui cautiously drank from the cup and her eyes widened at the familiar flavor.

“How did you know I like this drink?! In fact it’s my favorite!”

“I remembered.”

“When did I ever tell you?”

“You didn’t, I saw you drink it the first time we met.”

“But the cup looks the same for all drinks.”

“Are we going to investigate how I know strawberry crème is your favorite drink, or who our Secret Santa is?”

Gui Gui reluctantly reached into her bag and got out her gift and started to unwrap it.

Phew, how was I suppose to tell her I remembered because it was the faint strawberry scent from that drink that drew my eyes to her direction, and that I remembered especially because I was attracted to her from that moment I saw her… good thing she chose to continue investigating the gift…

Aaron glanced up from his gift to look at the silent Gui Gui from time to time while thinking of ways to apologize without drawing the conversation back to the drink when a surprised gasp from Gui’s direction interrupted his thought process.

“OMG!!! A pair of VIP concert tickets! I wanted to go so badly! You see, I bought a pair of premium tickets but later sold it to one of my classmates so he could use them to make up with his girlfriend. Oh! I almost forgot to look at the note.”

 

Gui Gui Wu,

Joy can be the thrilling feeling you felt when you discovered these tickets. It can also be obtained when you do something nice for someone without expecting anything in return. In your case, it was selling your premium tickets. Although kindness is normally not rewarded... I wanted to give you some joy.

~Your Secret Santa~

 

“I didn’t tell anyone about the ticket incident, until just now when I told you. Who could the Secret Santa be? Actually, it is highly plausible that my classmate, who I sold the tickets to, is our gift giver. His girlfriend would also be a candidate, but the person who gave me the gift was Geo… how did he get his hands on the gift?”

“Perhaps someone put it in his locker. My locker neighbor had found my gift in his locker.”

“Ah! Speaking of Geo… maybe I should give him one of these tickets since he was the one who gave me the gift! Do you know which class he is in Aaron?”

“Do you want me to help you give it to him? He might misunderstand that you are trying to ask him out if you go directly.”

“I can do it myself, I’ll explain clearly to him my intent, but thanks for offering.”

“But-“

“NO NEED!”

Gui Gui stood up abruptly startling Aaron who never seen this side of her before, he was taken back at the way she rose her voice and was about to apologize but he was cut off.

“Sorry for yelling Aaron, I did not mean ‘no need’ in a rude way, it’s just that-

“Hey! I didn’t think I would see you here Lil Ghostie!”

“Hi Geo! I was just talking about you, then you walked in!”

“Are you talking nice things? Or are you gossiping?”

“Really Geo?! I am not the type of person who gossips about someone I barely met to today.”

“Haha. I was just teasing, you seem like a nice girl, but seriously what were you talking about?”

“I actually wanted to give you-

“Sorry to interrupt but, I have to go now, I’ll see you tomorrow Gui. If you are curious about my gift, don’t worry; just give me a call later.”

“Okay, talk to you later Aaron!”

After waving goodbye and seeing the seemingly somewhat upset Aaron leave the café, George resumed the conversation.

“So, Ghostie, it seems you are quite popular among the senior guys… are you and Aaron close?”

“Not in the way you are implying. We are just frien- project partners at the moment, technically we count as friends.”

“Sounds complicated… but what were you saying about giving me something?”

“Ah! That’s right, I wanted to give you this because you hand me this gift and there is an extra ticket in here.”

“This is a VIP ticket are you sure? Why don’t you ask some of your girl friends? Or Aaron even?”

“The girls already have tickets, and Aaron… I don’t know if he would like to go.”

“You wouldn’t know if you don’t ask.”

“I didn’t get to, and I am afraid I would lose this if I don’t hand it to someone now.”

“Tell you what, I will hold on to it momentarily just for safekeeping, until you receive a proper reply from Aaron. If he says no, then I will gladly accept this as a gift.”

“Okay! Thanks Geo! You are like a big brother that I never had!”

“Haha, pesudo mei mei, see you tomorrow, and get home safely.”

“I will, thank you again Geo.”

Gui Gui turned to leave and was about to pull open the door when a voice called her back from behind.

“Wait! You don’t have my number! How will you find me when you want your ticket back?”

“Oh!  You're right.”

Gui Gui handed her cell phone to George who quickly punched in his number and added it to a new contact with the name “Geo” (nickname: Ge). Seeing the entry Gui Gui softly giggled and gave her new “Ge” a call.

“There, now you have my number, my ‘dear brother’.”

After that she left the café and went home in the best mood she’s ever had in years.


“Geez Ge! I don’t know what happened to you at school today, but it must have been really bad because this is the first time you ever spoke to, well, more like yelled at, me that way.”

“Sorry Mei, I just don’t want to talk about it, its actually not that big a deal, I don’t even know why I reacted that way, I just need some time to calm down and think. Thank you for not getting mad at me for venting on you.”

“I am here anytime if you do want to talk.”

“I know. Thanks again Mei”

Penny gave her brother an understanding smile and made her way to the living room to catch her current favorite drama, leaving Aaron all the space he needs to think and reflect on his own emotions.

It all makes sense now… I may be experiencing early signs of jealousy… naw, who am I kidding, my feelings for Gui Er are probably just like an over protective older brother. I remember feeling like this when mei brought home her first boyfriend, well now I am totally fine with him, in fact he is a really cool kid. I wouldn’t mind having him as my younger brother in law. I am sure George will treat Gui Gui well, I can be rest assured. After all Gui Er and I are just friends, nothing more. Having her as a friend and sister figure is enough for me.

Aaron released a sigh of relief and smiled contently as he lied down on his bed holding his unopened present up towards the ceiling. He sat up and carefully unwrapped the gift.
Aaron opened the small box and took out a clear 3-D heart keychain however there was an oddly shaped hole in the middle. He looked carefully and found his name etched in the heart. There was a small note in the box which read

 

Aaron Yan,

This keychain may represent your heart, much like anyone else’s heart there is an unexplainable void, this void seems strange and imperfect but there is a something that will fit perfectly in the empty space.

~Your Secret Santa~

P.S this box is only the first half of your gift, this gift only makes sense when put together with its other half.

 

Aaron looked around his bed and under the covers to find this missing half of the gift. After ten minutes of searching he was about to give up, as he laid back down on his bed his phone rang. Startled his stood up knocking his phone off the bed onto the ground, as he bent over to retrieve his phone a square package under the bed caught his eye. He picked up the phone as he reached for the package.
 

“Hello” Aaron’s voice came out in a weird strained way, most likely due to the fact that he is prostrate on the ground with his arm waving around in the darkness under his bed for the mysterious little box.

“What’s happening? Why does it sound like you are weight training or something? Could it be that after seeing George’s built arms you feel threatened to keep your place as number 1 in the school?”
“I am not working out, besides my arms are buff enough to keep me on the very top of that list. I was just reaching for something under my bed.”

“Okay, okay I was only joking, so lets get to the main reason for my call… what’s your gift?”

“I am not sure, ah!”
“What happened”

“I got it!”

“Got what?”

“Thanks! It is all thanks to you that I found the other half! You sure know when the best time to call is! I mean that in a sincere way not a sarcastic one.”

“What other half?!”

“Sorry hold on, let me explain after I open this.”

Aaron hurriedly lifted the cover on the tiny box and inside was a light blue semi-transparent piece of martial the same as the heart keychain. Aaron placed the piece next to his key chain and took out a small note.

Aaron Yan,

This piece is the perfect fit for the void in your heart, only after you have it will your emptiness will be gone. The moment your heart is filled is the moment you feel Content. I wish you a holiday that will make you feel Content.

~Your Secret Santa~

“What a strange gift.”

“What is it?”

“A heart shaped key chain with a strange hole in it and a piece that fits snuggly in the hole.”

“What do those things stand for?”

“Content.”

“How does Joy and Content relate?”

“I am guessing they are similar and they go hand in hand. When you are content you will feel joy.”

“I guess so, well are well going to meet afterschool tomorrow at our usual place?”

“Sure.”

“Well then, if there is nothing else-

“Just out of curiosity…”

“Yes?”

“Did you manage to give the other ticket to George?”

“Yes an-

“That’s great! I hope you have fun. Well, my sister is calling me down for dinner so I have to hang up now. See you tomorrow Gui Gui.”

“ah wait I-

Gui Gui sighed at the sound of the dial tone but settled with the plan to explain the whole situation when she meets with Aaron the next day. Wait why am I disappointed? I can still ask him tomorrow. Besides it is not like he hanged up on purpose, he had to go eat dinner.

Aaron hurried hung up and put his phone on his desk, then laid back down on his bed to be bothered by a train of thoughts. Why on earth did I do that?! Who Gui Gui decides to give the ticket to has nothing to do with me. I should not get ahead of myself. I am just her partner, her upperclassman, or her friend if anything more. I should apologize to her tomorrow... that was rude of me.