Gift 10

12 Gifts From Secret Santa

I do not own any of the characters. This is for entertainment purposes only. Any plot similarities to other FF and stories/movies are coincidental. Character thoughts in Italicized, and Bold for emphasis. Blue underlined are hyperlink to photos of item described.


A 22 year old college senior with a stunning figure, mostly due to her major of dance stood in a classy hotel room, one fitting her seemingly graceful image. However, her face did not reflect the usual excitement of a person who gets to stay overnight in a five star hotel for free. She made a quick call and sighed heavily after only reaching the voice message box on the other line, thinking back as to how she got herself in this situation. I would have been back in Taiwan by now... if only I didn't give... no, Wu Ying Jie, you mustn't think that. I did the right thing, Ya Lun would understand.

~[FLASHBACK]~

Gui Gui stood up from her seat, boarding pass, passport, and carry-on luggage in hand: ready to enter the gate, when a loud thud followed by a big commotion redirected her attention to the scene behind her. In the spaces between the various people crowding around, she could make out a figure of an old man lying on the floor, with an elderly woman, currently in a frantic mess, kneeling beside him weeping. She got a better look as airport personnel and their emergency healthcare staff cleared a path to the unconscious grandpa, and proceeded to administer first aid. After everything settled down and the crowds dispersed, an announcement was made over the PA.

“To the passengers of EVA airlines flight 159 headed towards Taipei, due to an medical emergency, we are currently requesting for a volunteer in first class to give up their seat, overnight accommodations and boarding pass for the next possible flight to Taipei will be provided for your kindness.”

The contemplating girl looked around and no one seemed to pay the voice on the intercom any attention, as they all carried about their own business. Seeing that not one person was a kind Samaritan, she quickly stood up and went to the counter.

“I will give up my seat.” She declared, offering her boarding pass and passport to the attendant.

“Thank you for your cooperation, Miss Wu. I have made arrangements for you to stay in the suite 1214 of the Grand Hyatt Incheon. Two meals are provided during your time here. This is your new Skypass, boarding time is 6:40 AM tomorrow at gate 23. Thank you for choosing EVA and enjoy your stay.”

~[FLASHBACK END]~

All the way across the East China Sea at the Arrivals gate in Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, paced a worried 23 year old runner* for the crew of “Taipiei Life”, a new ETroday show.

(*A/N a runner is the entry level (most junior position) of tv or film crew, a fitting role since Ya Lun just ended his internship at the station main office)

Where could she be? I double checked the arrivals board and her flight was on time and landed. So many people most likely from her flight already came out. What if there was an accident or she got held in customs? He felt his heart stop and breath hitch as flight crew and medics wheeled a stretcher out the gate from a distance. Please don't let that be.. oh thank goodness. He breath a sigh of relief to see that his girlfriend wasn't the one being transported onto an ambulance. A small glittering refection on the ground by the space where the now departed ambulance used to be, caught his eye. He went over and picked up the small and very expensive looking object. The elderly woman must have dropped this ring when she boarded the ambulance in a hurry just now. It must be important to her, I should return it in person. He went back to the counter of EVA airlines to find the whereabouts of the woman in question.

“Excuse me, do you know which hospital that ambulance who is transporting the patient from flight BR159 is headed to?”

“For security reasons, I cannot tell you, unless you provide proof of relationship with the patient. Sorry, please hold.” The EVA ground personnel received a call and intermediately contacted other staff members.

“I need a lost items search team on the Airbus 159, around the terminal, baggage claim and at the front of arrivals gate 2, Madam Tsao called in saying she lost her family heirloom along the way from the plane to the ambulance.”

“Sorry to interrupt, but I asked about the patient because I found this where the ambulance left, and wanted to return it to the owner personally.” Aaron held up the ring.

“We found the item, no need for search teams. Can I get an for the item?”

“May I go along with your co-worker? I want to see to it that this ring is returned to its owner with my own eyes.”

“The item is waiting in parking lot G22.”

“Thank you.”

“Thank you for your assistance sir.”

Aaron nodded politely and smiled as the grateful older lady held his hand giving it solid pats as she showered him with praises after the ring returned to her possession.

“Thank you so much. You are such a kind and honest young man. Very handsome as well. Your parents must be very proud. Most people would steal the ring or take it to a pawn shop. This is my husband's family heirloom, which as been in the family for thirty years. My mother-in-law gave it to me on the day of our wedding, to signify my addition to the family. I will be passing it down to my daughter next year. If my daughter wasn't already engaged, I would definitely like to introduce you to her. Although, such a fine young lad like you probably already has a girlfriend. Anyway, I should not keep you with my old lady babbling. Thank you so so much. Here is a little something to return the favor.” Madam Tsao attempted to give Ya Lun a loaded red pocket, to which he tried very hard to refuse, without offending the overly-generous lady.

“I only did what was right, ma'am. This reward is too much. If you really feel the need to return the favor, then please pay this kindness forward in the future. If I may, I must get going, I hope your husband has a speedy recovery, and congratulations on your daughter's wedding.” The elderly woman smiled fondly at Aaron's retreating figure, thinking to herself: Such a selfless, polite, and mannered young man, very much like my husband in our youth. Its too bad I had forgotten to ask his name with all the commotion.

On the car ride back to the airport, Aaron finally had time to remember his initial purpose for being there. I should call her. Right as he held up his phone, it buzzed and an endearing photo and the words “Gui Er” lit up the screen. He quickly received her incoming call.

“Thank goodness you finally picked up!”

“Gui Er, sorry I am not at the airport at the moment. Give me half an hour! I was waiting at the right gate, and your flight should have landed already according to the signboard, but something urgent came up. So I left to take care of it, seeming that you haven't arrived yet. I know I should have called earlier but I was busy trying to find the owner of a valuable accessory.”

“Sorry Ya Lun, I actually didn't make it to Taipei.”

“Please don't tell me you want to negotiate staying another six months in Korea. You promised to finish up our dance degree here in Taipei.”

“Don't worry, its not that. I am ready to come home, but it wont be till next morning around 8:45.”

“Knowing you, there is definitely a crazy story at to why you were not on this flight. Let me guess, you gave up your seat for a elderly man who needed medical assistance at a Taiwanese hospital ASAP.”

“Exactly! How did you know? I just had to help. People stood around the poor grandpa when he fainted looking all concerned, but when the airline requested for volunteers to offer their seats so there is ample room to transport him, no one stood out to help. Can you believe how unkind people are nowadays? It makes me so mad just thinking back. You waited for me for a long time didn't you. Are you angry?”

“How could I ever be mad at my kind and compassionate girlfriend. In fact I am proud of you. On the contrary, if I found out you came back at the expense of that man's life, I would have been angry. As to how I know what you did, I will tell you all about it when I see you tomorrow.”

“I knew you would understand, Ah Bu. That's why I love you!”

“And I love you, for always thinking of others before yourself, for the most part anyway.”

“Hey, that last part was uncalled for.”

“Hmm I guess my romantic side dwindled after being with you for three and a half years .”

“More like that side of you rubbed off on me so much that I became the sap of our relationship.”

“Hardly, Gui Er. You can ask George, he's had enough of my sappy state for the past two years while you were abroad.”

“I will be sure to get all the juicy details, thanks for the tip.”

“Great, I just dug my own grave of embarrassment. It's getting late for you. I'll see you tomorrow.”

As she put down her phone, she laughed at his slow realization, then came to one herself. I didn't think I'd miss him this much, as fun as Korea is, I really really want to go home, where Ya Lun is. Just one more night here, but I sure will miss the Korean food. On that note, I am suddenly craving Kimchi Fried Ri- Her thoughts were interrupted by her energetic ringtone “10 out of 10” by 2PM to which she knew exactly who was calling.

“Yeoboseyo? Oppa, wae yo?”*

{*A/N: Yeoboseyo is a greeting used when answering the phone, like hello. Wae is what or why, kinda of like whats up in this case. Yo is added as a formality Gui needs to use cuz Taec is older. )

“Gui Gui, glad to hear you still know some Korean, even when you are back in Taiwan. How was the flight? Just called to check in an see if you got home ok. Aaron must have been glad to finally have you back huh?”

“Actually, I am still in Korea.”

“You like it here that much, that you couldn't bear to leave? Where in Korea are you?”

“No its just that I gave up my seat for a hal-abeoji*, who had a medical emergency, and now I am staying overnight at the Grand Hyatt Incheon until the next available flight which is tomorrow morning.”

{*A/N Hal-abeoji means grandpa)

“You don't mean the 7:10 AM flight do you?”

“Yes that one, why?”

“I'll see you tomorrow morning in that case.”

Jahm-kkan-man yo, Oppa you are going to Taiwan? Jinja?!”*

(*A/N Jahm-kkan-man yo means hold on or wait a minute, Jinja means really)

“Yup, I am going there to work as a dance instructor at my friend's studio, the one I helped out with six months ago, until my crew works out a contract with a new agency, because our current agency is not treating us well. All of us are taking teaching jobs or doing other performance as side work until we can be an official crew again.”

“Hey, I can ask Ya Lun to drop you off at the studio if you don't have your own ride. I hope you and 2PM find a good agency soon.”

“That would be great, as long as he doesn't mind that is. You really don't want me in Taiwan for long do you? Who's the Jjandori now Gui Gui?”

“Ani-yo!* I meant well. I just think you and the crew are the coolest when you guys are on stage together, its such a shame not to be able to see that until you guys work out the whole situation.”

“Gomawo.* Does Aaron know you are such a er for handsome Korean men who could sing and dance?”

(*A/N Ani means no. Gomawo is thanks, informal tone because Taec is older)

“He knows very well, our first unofficial “date” was at a Big Bang concert. This was before we even got together. He loves me, fan-girl tendencies and all.”

“Then I take it he won't mind if the crew and I do the congratulatory song/dance at your wedding in the future.”

“Wedding huh... that probably won't be for another five years.”

“You never know, he might propose once you are fresh out of college.”

“No way, he isn't the type to take responsibility for another person's life until he has a stable career. He starting as a runner right now for a local Taiwanese lifestyle show. I think we will start thinking about marriage once he becomes a PD or something”

“Want to bet? I say you two will get married in around three years or sooner, if nothing out of the ordinary happens.”

“What do you mean by out of the ordinary?”

“You know... unplanned pregnancy or break up or something like that.”

“Oppa! Neither of those will happen! Not with me and Ah Bu. I am not making that bet with you.”

“Not even if there is a complete toy story alien kitchen set at stake?”

“The limited edition one that I could not get my hands on last week? You are TYCat16? In that case, I bet on my previous estimate of five years. If I win then I get the set as a wedding gift.”

“I bet by three years. If I win, then you must be a guest performer at our crew's comeback stage, free of charge, and bring us food backstage.”

“Deal, lets draw up a contract and shake on it tomorrow morning. Speaking of food, I am craving kimchi fried rice, with a sunny side up.”

“Order room service, there is no way I am going to cook for you this late at night and going all the way to Incheon to make a personal food delivery.”

“Oppa, you Jjandori.”

Gui heard the line cut off abruptly and felt a slight tinge of guilt. Did I go to far with my joke? He's not angry is he? Noting the time, the tired girl went to sleep, hoping tomorrow would come sooner.

This time, her flight went smoothly, with the exception of persistent teasing from her seat neighbor, Ok Taecyeon. He did make up for it however, with his homemade Kimchi Fried Riceball. Gui went strait for the exit as soon as they passed customs leaving Taec with all her luggage, not that she noticed, since she was preoccupied with only one thing – one person to be more accurate.

“I am home!” She ran into her boyfriend's outstretched arms, giving him a long awaited bear hug.

“Finally.” He closed the space between them further, pressing a warm kiss upon her lips.

“It is so good to be back. I missed you Ah Bu.”

“Very glad to have you back. I missed you too Gui Er.” She giggled as he gave her a trail of butterfly kisses from her forehead to her nose, then to her lips.

“Ya Lun, we have an audience.” She whispered as he leaned in once more.

“Let them look.” He breathed softly, wanting to advance again, only stopping when a familiar – not in an entirely pleasant way – figure emerged from the gate.

“Gwi Gwi, you should really develop the habit of taking care of your own stuff. Or at least let me know if you are going to dash off like that. I am not even sorry for interrupting at this point.” Tace commented unamused, his hands crossed across his chest.

“Sorry Oppa. You know if you didn't interrupt, you might actually have a chance of winning our bet. Before I forget, Ah Bu, can he ride with us on the way back?”

“You didn't even ask him and you told me he would be okay with it? Now that you mentioned the bet... nope, still op for interrupting.”

“What kind of bet did you two make? Why am I only hearing about this ride situation now? But sure, where to?” Aaron asked his forgetful girlfriend, with no irritation or anger in his voice, since his joy from the fact that she was finally by his side takes precedence.

“Sorry, it got to late too late to call again after I found out Oppa was coming to Taiwan to work. The bet is a secret...Please stop by his friend's dance studio, we pass by it on the way home.”

“Ear Ear, how old are you again?”

“Twenty-two, wae yo?”

“Barely two, no wonder why you are so forgetful and short attention-spanned.”

“Hey! Then you are only six for making such immature remarks!”

“Ok ok, break it up you two.” Ya Lun said trying to separate Gui from Taec's playful head lock, after she lunged at his ribs in attempt to tickle him, as revenge for calling her a child.

“Is he getting jealous again?” The previously bickering duo both thought out-loud.

“I am not, I just thought we should get going. I suggest you both behave and come with me since mentally I seem to be the only one over the age of twenty here and I am the one driving.” He took their luggage cart and wheeled it out of the airport to the lot, leaving the kiddish twenty-some year old duo to resume their “playtime”, as soon as he left their line of sight.

After dropping off the beastly dancer, GuiLun's car ride fell into a comfortable and greatly missed silence as their hands overlapped naturally over the gearshift. That is until Aaron received a phone call filled with exciting news.

“Bro, I really need your help, its almost D-day. Hey, is Gui mei back yet? I thought she was suppose to arrive yesterday.”

“She is right next to me, you are on loudspeaker by the way. Anyway, just name it and I will do what I can.”

“Hi Geo Ge!! Its been a long time. If you need my help too, I am all down. What's D-day?”

“Long time no talk Gui. Back to my previous request, Ni Ni's advertising firm is transferring her to Borocay, Philippines, where she will be promoted to an account planning assistant director at their new firm branch. The catch is that she has to stay there for four years. Right now, she is receiving training for the position as well as for assisting the firm start up, which will take a year. I am planning to propose to her the day after tomorrow, so that we can get married before she moves to Borocay. I need some help with the whole event. Gui mei, this is the one thing you absolutely cannot tell Annie!

“Got it, what ideas did you have in mind?”

“It will be at the beach where we first met as kids.”

“That is so romantic~ Ya Lun don't you think so?” Ni Jie will be delighted.

“So whats the plan?” I got to learn from him, for future reference. Gui thinks being proposed to at the first meeting place is romantic. 

“Right now, since Ni Ni is so busy, she said no dates for us until her schedule frees up next month, but if I don't propose in this week, we won't have enough time for the wedding planning. So I need to use Gui's return as a chance to take her out. She is bound to make time for her favorite best friend.”

“I can call her and say that I miss going to the beaches here in Taiwan and want to do a return hangout/ beach barbecue with everyone.”

“I can set up the place for the hang out, and then you can find a place farther away from the bbq, somewhere more private to propose.”

“Why don't we meet at the beach right now to plan all the placing and make a time schedule. Then we can contact all our friends.”

“Aren't you tired from your flight Gui Er?”

“Ah Bu, this is more important that the comfort of my own bed. Its our friends' life long happiness we are dealing with!”

“If you say so, lets drop off your stuff, freshen up. George, we will meet you at the beach in say two hours.”

“Sounds good, thanks you two.”

“I can't believe Geo is going to propose! This is so exciting! They are the first out of all of us to get married. I wonder who would be next? Maybe Penny and Charlie.”

“What makes you think they are next? Her older brother isn't even married yet.”

“Her older brother never discussed marriage with his girlfriend, while Penny and Charlie are practically planning their honeymoon already.”

“He didn't think his girlfriend was ready for such talks, since she has not even graduated and just landed back in Taipei after two years in Seoul.”

“His girlfriend is always open to talk, she just thought her boyfriend wanted to advance his career before considering marriage.”

“She is not wrong, and talking is exactly what we are doing right now.”

“So do you still think we will be next in line?”

“You are right, at this rate we will attend Mei and Charile's wedding before our own.”

“Before that, lets just make sure Geo and Ni Ni's wedding is happening.”

“Yes, ma'm.”

“Waah I haven't been to the beach in so long! The last time was during summer before senior year, when my classmates, oppa, and 2PM took a trip to Jeju Island. It was really beautiful there, and the seafood was so fresh and delicious.”

“Focus Gui mei, you have an important mission.”

“My bad. Hey how are you going to break away from the gathering to go propose? It seems really strange if we all disappeared during the barbecue... I know! I can say we forgot to buy watermelon and sent you two off to buy it, using a rigged sticks and ladders game. There is a small grocery store is at the end of the beach.”

“I will go to the beach center to apply for a fire lighting permit, so we can actually have the bbq.”

“I'll go to the car and start contacting people. Starting with Annie.”

“I will walk around to look for the perfect spot and plan out the details of my proposal.”

In the car, Gui put her extensive social network to use.

“Hey Ni Ni! I am back! Do you have time this Saturday? I am holding a return barbecue at the beach.”

“Gui Gui, its so good to hear from you. Of course I can make it. I'll see if Yu Wei is free too.”

“Great, see you Saturday!”

Giddy that the main character of this surprise event is set to go, Gui called some other friends including Aaron's university buddies Calvin, Jiro, Wu Chun who will be bringing their respective plus ones, Hebe, Selena, and Ella. Before leaving the car to meet up with Aaron and George to solidify their plans, one more person came to mind.

“Oppa! Do you have plans this Saturday?”

“Why, did your boyfriend get too busy to hang out with you?”

“No. My good friend is proposing to my best friend but in order to ask her out on that day, he needs a proper excuse to go to the beach. To help him out, I am holding a return barbecue. I wanted to know if you wanted to come for a free meal.”

“I am down. Can I bring a friend?”

“Of course, the more the merrier. If only the crew were here too.”

“Don't you mean if only Khun was here?”

“OPPA!”

She scowled at his abrupt hang up, knowing he only did so to get on her nerves. Ok Taecyeon, you should not have done that to someone who will feed you in two days.

After confirming all the details about the big day this weekend, the three went back home to prepare their own parts.

Luckily for George, D-day was a day of sunshine and a light sea breeze. The barbecue went off without a hitch, with many friends and some family gathered together to celebrate Gui's return, only a few knowing that what they would actually be celebrating later that night, would be his and Ni Ni's engagement – hopefully. Thanks to Aaron's reminder, Gui finally saw his secret signal – which was almost missed amidst her bickering with her Korean friend. However, her transition from firing verbal shots at Taec to getting Geo and Annie alone was not so smooth, causing the woman on the receiving end of the surprise to become slightly suspicious, adding to the handsome tanned man's anxiety.

“Oppa, I though you said you would bring the watermelon!”

“What watermelon?”

“The WATERMELON I told you about on Thursday.”

“You just said I would get free food here. But I can go to the store real quick if that's what you are so awkwardly hinting at.”

“No its fine! Uh lets just decide at random who goes, with...” Oh no, I forgot to bring the sticks and ladder's paper.

“Drawing lots, the pair who gets the red ended slip will go to the grocer down by the pier.” Gui shot her prepared boyfriend a grateful smile for saving the situation, to which he subtly winked back at, making her heart skip a beat. I had no idea he could still do that to me after three years and six months.

George gave them both a solid shoulder pat as he passed by with Annie, conveying his silent thanks for creating the opportunity for him to do the thing he's been planning since the beginning of the year after learning about his beloved's career plans. Once they were in an undisturbed area, he stopped and took a step in front of his girlfriend – who had good clue of what would happen next. Holding both her hands and looking into her eyes, he began to speak.

 “Ni Ni, remember the first time I broke your heart, which happened to be the day we first met as kids on this very beach? I was young then, if I could go back to that day, I would tell that skinny ten year old not to call the cute little girl a monkey. I would tell him that she would grow up to be his best friend, sometimes his worst frienemy, and eventually his girlfriend after 13 years of life together. I would tell him not to be so quick to reject her proposal of marriage when they grew up, because he would want to marry her once they were older. In fact, I would tell him, he would be the one proposing then, and all she had to do was say yes. In you, I see the little girl who had nothing but complete trust and adoration towards me, as well as the beautiful independent women you are now – inside and out – and finally I hope to see you as an elderly grandma, wise due to the life experience we will accumulate together in the years to come, yet still have the graceful charm from your youth which won't cease to stir my heart. You've asked me to marry you once when we were children, all because you claim I was the only boy, besides your father, who helped you build a sturdy sand-castle. I promise you I will live up to that claim and be the only man, after your dad, who will continue to build – and rebuild if such a time comes – a sturdy castle – whether its out of sand or stone – for you, and with you, for our future family.”  He pulled out a simple diamond studded white gold band from his pants pocket and knelt down on one knee over the soft sand. “Chen Ting Ni, will you marry me?”

“That was the longest time you have ever talked for, in one sitting. I can't believe you still remember the details of our first meeting. I only remember getting rejected, smashing your castle and eating ice cream that you got to cheer me up on the rocks after crying a lot. I will marry you, on one condition.”

“As you wish.”

“Buy me ice cream after this, because I think I might cry.” She held out her left hand to receive the ring as tears of joy formed in her eyes. He put the ring on her, and rose to give her a gentle and loving embrace.

“Yes, I do Hu Yu Wei.” She whispered by his ear, then gleefully wept into his solid chest, holding him closer by the waist.

Holding hands the whole way, they walked back to the rest of the gang to resume the beach-side party. Annie was the first to release his hand, since all the ladies literally pulled her aside to examine the new glistering statement on her left ring finger; Gui Gui being the most excited one of all. If people didn't know any better, they would have thought she was the one getting married.

“Gui, will you be my maid of honor? S.H.E be my brides maids?”

“Its my honor, Ni Ni. Oh I can't wait for your wedding!”

“We would love to be part of the wedding party. Have you decided on the color scheme?”

“Not yet, but I always wanted something girlish. I know it doesn't really fit my character, but weddings to me were always like a scene from a fairy-tale. For just that one day, I wish to be a princess-like bride.”

“I'm sure Geo would be happy with whatever you choose, as long as by the end you are the one who will take his last name.”

“About that... I actually wanted to keep my maiden name. It's something I still have to discuss with him. So it would be great if this doesn't get out yet.”

“My lips are sealed.”

“I don't think I have much to worry about in that regard, even if you get overly excited and are about to let this slip, I am certain Ya Lun can help.”

“What does he have to do with my ability to keep secrets?”

“If worse comes to worse, he can keep your lips sealed for you.” The bride-to-be grinned at her maid of honor mischievously with a teasing glint in her eye.

“I don't under-

“Gui Er, I think she meant something like this.” The sly young man in question – who happened to overhear the conversation – went over to do what he does best, giving his clueless girlfriend a personal demonstration with a kiss, leaving her speechless.

“Exactly like that, even after three and half years Gui still clams up for a while after you do that. It's quite amusing to see, and very reassuring when she has a secret of mine.”

“Glad to be of help, future Mrs. Hu” He remarked with a revengeful teasing edge in his voice, shocking the tanned skinned beauty.

“You better not tell! I forgot that Gui's prankster tendencies has influenced you for the past three plus years as well.”

“Bro, don't be teasing my soon-to-be wife. I might just return the favor when it's your turn.”

“If you still remember by then. It definitely won't be for another couple years at least.”

“That's what I thought last year, yet here we are. Although, it is a pleasant change of plans.”

“Hey, I just noticed something important, we still don't have a watermelon.”

“Gwi Gwi, that very like you, to break such a serious and romantic conversation for something so trivial.”Commented the well toned 26 year old, who came by to rest after a game of beach volleyball with Jiro, Calvin, and Chun, who also came to catch their breaths and to join the commotion.

“Oppa! I can be romantic when I want to, just ask Ah Bu. My point is not trivial, watermelon is the highlight of a beach bbq.”

“If I remember correctly, you were the one who said the barbecue was just a set up so George can successfully propose to Annie, shouldn't they be the highlight?”

“Well, you are the one who came just for the food, I thought you would have been more concerned about the watermelon than I. If I remember correctly from Jeju Island, you never stopped talking about the fruit.”

“That was because it was an actual beach bbq, with no other motives! I did not just come to eat. I came to meet your Taiwanese friends, to see exactly who were the ones who shaped you into this wild being.”

“Excuse me, wild?! You are the official beast dancer at Kirin, not me.”

You are the one trying to attack me right now!” Taec dodged then held the flailing girl an arm's length away by her forehead as Gui attempted to lunge for his side to start another tickle war. Aaron only chuckled at their rouse, knowing by now there was nothing he can do to stop the childish sibling-like friends. He soon joined in, taking Taec's side of the “fight” as he launched a surprise tickle attack on his unsuspecting girlfriend, causing her to squeal and squirm right into his arms. Unfortunately, due to the sudden force, Aaron lost his balance, and tumbled onto the sand back-first, bringing Gui with him, as she was still in his hold. She giggled at his sudden clumsy playfulness and pressed a light peck to his lips – which tasted slightly like the ocean, she noted – before getting up. He had to resist the urge of pulling her back down to him to kiss her some more, since they were not alone – although by now their friends were well accustomed to their PDA. He figured today was George and Annie's day, it wouldn't be right to steal the spotlight. When its our engagement day, I won't be holding back.

With the hype of their friends' engagement and wedding planning, Aaron's airport tale was on hold from Gui Gui until fate decide to pull some strings for the young pair and the elderly couple from the airport, four months later to be exact.

“This director even refused our CEO! I can't think of another person who would be able to convince him to work with us. Runner, you try!”

“Will do executive producer, what's his address?”

“Ha, if he could do it I'd give him my job.” remarked a snarky field producer who has been jealous of Aaron's good relationship with the cast members, crew, producers, and with a certain bubbly college dancer who frequented the station often before her study abroad – ever since Ya Lun worked as an intern for ETtoday. Aaron only smiled at his jab and replied cleverly, well aware of the animosity directed towards him.

“Thank you for having such high hopes for me. I will work hard sir.”
Without staying to see the enraged man's reaction, Aaron set off to the house of the infamous difficult film director. Moments later, a visitor made her way to the station with replenishing drinks and snacks of the hard working production members of ETtoday's “Taipei Lifestyle”.

“Greetings, producer sirs and madames! I am offically back! Here is some sources of energy for you all. Keep up the good work!”

The room's frustrations cleared at the sight of gifts the cheerful and generous girl handed out personally, her presence greatly missed among the staff in the past six months.

“Gui Gui, glad to see you. Thank you for the pick-me-ups! Runner Yan just went out. Actually can you do me a favor? I did not give him the updated proposal and sent him to Director Fang's house. Without this contract, we are bound to get blacklisted. Help me deliver this to Ya Lun, since the rest of the crew are currently unavailable.”

“Of course! I will get on it. Enjoy the food everyone!” She took the document and address handed to her by the executive producer and hurriedly got a cab to the house, hopefully catching her boyfriend before the negotiations start, knowing he probably took the station bike. Thankfully, she reached him before he rang the doorbell of the large estate.

“Ah Bu! Wait!”

“Gui Er, what are you doing here?!” He gawked at her, pleasantly surprised.

“I visited the station to give you some snacks, but you were not there, and the director wanted me to give you this proposal!”

“Thanks, you are the best.” He said giving her a kiss on the cheek.

“What if the film director saw you and thinks you are unprofessional?!” She said pointing to the security camera by the door.

“I will convince him otherwise.” He proceeded to ring the bell, clearing his throat, feeling his nerves swell up, for he was about to meet the very man who inspired him to be a director.

“Fang residence, how may I help you?”

“Hello, I am Yan Ya Lun from ETtoday. I would like to request a meeting with Director Fang.”

“Please wait one moment... Sorry, master refused to meet anyone from the station. I will have to ask you to leave.”

“If I could just have five minutes-

Aaron was cut off by the loud buzz of the intercom as the line was cut.

“What should we do?”

“I guess I have to wait here until he leaves the house.”

“I will wait with you.”

“Gui Er, you should go home, who knows how long this will take.”

“Exactly why I cannot leave you here. Having someone to wait with helps.”

“Fine, but if it gets too tiring, let me know.” After two hours, a click of the door sounded, to which the pair stood up and turned towards the door ready to start their proposal. Aaron's eyes widened at the familiar person who emerged.

“Oh my! I can't believe it. Its you! Come in come in! I have told my husband so many good things about you since that day.”

“Madame Tsao, what a surprise. THE Director Fang is your husband?! Wait that means- how is his health?” Ya Lun replied rather flustered.

“He's made a strong recovery, thank you for your concern. Don't just stand there, come on in! Is that pretty young lady your girlfriend, oh lucky you, bring her in too!”

Without time to respond, Aaron and Gui found themselves being pulled into the house by the surprisingly strong elderly lady. She excitedly went to fetch her husband – who as currently holed up in his study – to meet the guests of honor.

“Baba, come meet the honest youngster from the hospital I've been telling you about.” Her clear voice could be heard from the living room where the overwhelmed couple sat.

“How do you know such a famous person?”

“I found her family heirloom at the airport the day you were suppose to come home, and returned it to her. I can't believe she still remembers, its been almost four months.”

“She looks familiar... OH! She was the one with the grandpa I gave my seat up for! What a coincidence.”

Aaron stood upright at the entrance of his life-long hero, Gui Gui followed his action.

“Director Fang, It is an honor to finally meet you.” He greeted with a respectful bow, holding out his hand.

“Relax young man, have a seat. I've been hearing kind words about you since I woke up in the hospital.” The elderly man said returning the handshake.

“Oh my, I invited you two into the house, but did not even offer you both something to drink.” The delighted aged woman went to the kitchen and returned with a fresh pot of tea and some snacks.

“Thank you, for your hospitality.” Gui and Aaron had a drink of their kind offer.

“Excuse my forgetfulness, I didn't even ask your name young man, and yours as well miss.” Madame Tsao quipped looking at Ya Lun and Gui Gui.

“My name is Aaron Yan Ya Lun. You can just call me Ya Lun, or Aaron which ever is easier for you.”

“I am Gu- Wu Ying Jie.”

“Wu Ying Jie... I have heard your name before... Oh my, are you the selfless young lady who gave her plane seat up for my husband here? I went back to ask the airline the next day, so I can at least know the know of the kind girl who played a large part in saving his life. We are indebted to you.”

“Please don't say that, I only did what was right. I like to believe that kindness is meant to be paid forward. I am glad to see that you are recovered sir.”

“You two really are a selfless couple! You boyfriend said the same thing about doing the right thing when he returned our family ring. Dear, you must give them a chance. I heard that you came to talk business with my husband today.” The elder lady laughed delightfully at their exchange remembering the words said to her at the hospital.

“Thank you for the kind offer ma'am, but business and personal life should be separate matters. It would be in our best interest if Director Fang agree to the collaboration because he is personally interested in our production and agree with our station's direction. If he collaborates based on a personal favor, this work will lose its authentic artistic value.”

Seeing a reflection of his younger self, the wise old man decided to test Aaron further.

“Are you aspiring to be a director, Ya Lun?”

“Yes sir. I have looked up to your work since I was a child.”

“How would you like to be my disciple? I could make you a hit overnight.”

“I must respectfully decline sir. As much as I admire you and know that I will learn a lot from you, I believe I must work earnestly for my own title. I rather spend more years working up the ladder so that I will be a respected director who can create works based on personal experience. That is only way I can touch people with with my work.”

“I have not judged you wrong. You will make a fine director one day. I have decided to collaborate with ETtoday, with such an upright man like you on the team, I believe this production is a genuine fit with my directing style. Let's see that contract.”

“Thank you sir. It will be our pleasure to work with you.”

After reviewing the document and setting a time for official signing with both parties, Aaron and Gui were about to leave, but they were held – quite literally – by a offer they could not refuse.

“Please stay for dinner. My husband and I would like to get to know you both better. I have had such a joyous time speaking with Ying Jie here, I can't bear to see her go on an empty stomach. I am sure BaBa has plenty of stories for Ya Lun.”

“You are both so kind, but we shouldn't impose.”

“Nonsense, it is our pleasure to have you here. Our daughter, Beatrice has been busy with her wedding preparations, that she and Xiao Wei hardly come home. We've missed having this youthful energy in the house.”

“If you put it that way, I suppose we should stay.”

“Thank you Madame Tsao.”

“Call me Tsao mama. I would love to have a son and daughter like you two.”

“Why don't we take them in as our god children?” Her stoic husband suggested.

“How about it Ya Lun, Ying Jie?”

“It would be our honor. Godfather, godmother.” They replied, and then proceeded to hold an impromptu tea ceremony to officiate the establishment of new relationships. The “family” had a warm and bustling meal late into the night, with many various stories and jokes shared around the table. When it was time to go, they exchanged promises of meeting the rest of the family – Beatrice and her fiancee – over another dinner.

On the way back to Gui's home the pair had their own interesting conversation regarding homes.

“If I worked hard enough, do think I could afford to buy us a house as grand as Godfather's?”

“I believe you will, but I've always had wish regarding my future house, since my eight birthday.”

“And what is that?”

“I wanted to buy back my childhood home. The one I was conceived and raised in for the first eight years of my life. Our family had to sell if during the economic crisis, and lost the chance to regain ownership since.”

“What did that house look like?”

“Similar to your current house, actually. A fair-sized two story, painted white with a navy blue tiled roof. It had wide windows, and my mom's homemade blinds. I remember I would pull them all open in the morning and the house would flood with sunlight and I would dance in the living room. There was also a balcony on the second floor overlooking the backyard, attached to the master bedroom. My parents and I would stargaze there during summer nights in our big swing chair before they would tuck me into bed. I would help my dad tend to the rose bed and small herb/ veggie garden in our backyard. My mom told me if she hadn't said no, my dad would have tried to turn the backyard into a private vineyard, and our basement into a winery. They turned the basement into our family game room/ lounge. I think the reason why I fantasized about raising a family in that house was not because of the building itself, but because I had real and good memories of my parents there. Do you ever think about your childhood home?”

He brought the car to a stop in the guest parking spot of her apartment complex, led her out of the vehicle to sit at the near by bench: using that time to formulate his reply to her question.

“I don't remember it much, only that my parents always fought when they did come home and it seemed like the whole place shook every time they slam their doors on each other. I would go to the nursery to comfort my sister who was still a toddler at the time. I think I ended up sleeping on the floor in her room more than in my own bed. My parents got divorced after things got too nasty during one fight which accidentally sent my sister to the ER, luckily only with minor injuries. We lived separately -- Mei with Dad and Mom with me -- until my dad remarried and my sister wanted to study at Sheng Ying with me. So during her freshman year, she moved in with me and mom – who practically lives in her office because work was her only escape after losing dad as her main financial backer. So rather than saying I don't remember my childhood house, I should say, I prefer not to remember.”

“Ah Bu, you did mention your parents from time to time, but this is the first time you shared so much in detail, so thank you for opening up to me. If your parents saw your progress now, career and personality wise, they would be proud.”

“They don't care, Gui Er. I don't expect them to at this point. I can take care of myself and Mei, I always have. ”

“Ya Lun...” She did not know what words she should utter to comfort the sullen and angry – although he would never admit it – lad beside her, so she did the next best thing. She wrapped her arms around him and brought his hung head to her shoulders, one hand softly patting his back, the other hand held still, sending solid warmth to him. She felt a wet sensation on her shoulder and a slight tremor in her arms, as his breath became uneven with quiet sobs. After he calmed down and pulled away to give her a reassuring smile, she made a bold move, or more accurately speaking, a bold suggestion.

“I've wanted to thank you for encouraging me to patch things up with my parents. So this time, I am returning the favor. Maybe you should reach out to your parents. Like you said, you are pretty much independent from them. So go talk to them, as one adult to another, not as child to parent. I believe things can get better. You may even be able to forgive them, after trying to understand the circumstance from their point of view.”

“How selfless of you Wu Xiao Jie, but my situation is clearly different from yours. I am willing to try, only because I don't want to disappoint you.” He heaved, his tone more bitter than grateful. 

“I rather you try for yourself, Yan Xian Sheng. And stop faking this air of selflessness, saying its for me.” She stated with a no-nonsense tone, stubtlely calling him out on his negativity.

“I really can't keep anything from you. Thank you, Wu Ying Jie.” For pulling me out of this darkness and giving me courage to face them.

“You better not hold back in the future, mister. You're welcome, Yan Ya Lun.” Its my pleasure to be your source of comfort and strength for a change. I hope I have the pleasure of seeing you reconcile with your mom and dad as you had for me.

Sometime after their deep talk and revelations, the pair revived an annual gift in their respective mailboxes. Gui Gui read the note which accompanied the beautiful pearly rose pink and white marbled stone penchant silver jewelry.

 

Gui Gui Wu,

Selflessness is like a rare gem. It can help form unseen connections, ones which enrich our lives and help us shine. Your gift of selflessness is symbolized by the Fang family's Rhodochrosite earrings. Its pink jewel is known as the Stone of a Compassionate Heart, representing selfless love, which you displayed when you gave up your seat and when you lovingly offered your shoulder and shared vulnerability with your loved one.

~Your Secret Santa~

 

Aaron read the note which came with his golden gem-ed sliver accessory.

 

Aaron Yan,

Selflessness is like a valuable crystal. It can open up doors to a more fulfilling life, and honestly polish our souls. Your gift of selflessness is symbolized by the Fang family's Honey Topaz cuff links. This yellow jewel represents the spirit of integrity, selflessness, and joy, which you embodied when you returned the ring and refused overnight fame, as well as when you truthfully opened up a part of your past to your beloved.

~Your Secret Santa~

In succession to the stunning gifts, the selfless couple also received some great news. After a successful collaboration contract signing and a couple more makeshift family dinners at their new god parents' place, the news was extra good, to Ya Lun at the least.

“Runner, clean up your desk. You are out of here.” An irritated field producer shoved a box into Aaron's arms as soon as he entered the office.

“I don't understand. What is happening?” I am not getting fired am I?

“Just read the notice on the bulletin board. I can't believe you got the job without even knowing this much.” He pointed scowling, then stormed out of the room picking up a box from his own empty desk. Aaron calmly put his box down and went over the official document pinned to the wall.

 

EMPLOYEE SHIFT NOTICE

 

“RUNNER YAN YA LUN IS PROMOTED TO FIELD PRODUCER OF 'TAIWAN LIFE'” REPORT TO HR TO RECIVE NEW EMPLOYEE BADGE.

 

“FIELD PRODUCER MR X IS TRANSFERED TO PRODUCTION OF “ETMONTHLYREPORT”

 

The company ledger was signed by the CEO and stamped with the companies official seal.

“Congrats Run- Field Producer Yan! I can't believe you actually convinced Director Fang to work with us. What's your secret?”

“Thank you Executive PD sir. No secrets sir, just earnestness and integrity. Our genuine proposal spoke through to Director Fang. It was not my effort alone, the credit belongs to our team who worked hard to put together this project.”

“This is why everyone here likes you, with the exception Mr X who is just overly jealous. Needless to say, you are hard working, you take pride in your work no matter how trivial the task, yet you are still so humble and opened to teaching. I cannot wait to work alongside you in the future. Keep up the good work, and we might just be competing for the ratings as equals in a couple years!”

“I don't dare to live up to that claim as I am now, sir, but I will continue to do my best! Please take care of me.” He said with the grin and polite bow to his superiors and now peers, earning him a round of applause along with some light-hearted laughter.

“You will be working closely with me before we give you your official title, just think of it as on the job training. Go ahead and set up your new desk for now.” The friendly and experienced associate producer notified Ya Lun once he came back from HR, proudly sporting the new badge around his neck.

“Hey Field PD Yan, I heard your girlfriend played a part in convincing Director Fang too! Must have been nice to work with a loved one. Maybe you should give her a job application with our station once she graduates!” The segment producer joked with the newly promoted youngster.

“If our station needs a professional dancer, I would do so gladly.”

“Speaking of your girlfriend, thank her for me. The cough drops she gave me last time worked wonders. I want to know where she gets them, since I am always using my voice to convince people to appear as guests for interviews.” The chase producer added at the mention of the kind college senior.

“I will find out where she buys them for you.”

Aaron's work day continued in a similar manner, filled with congratulations and positive conversation with his co-workers. He was glad to have chose the profession he did and to be hired to such a welcoming company. His gratitude and excitement was certainly relayed to Gui Gui, whom was the first person outside the workplace to receive his good news, the moment she got to his home. She in return had some news to share as well.

“Ah Bu, I am so happy for you! I hope you learn a lot from this new role. I know you will do well as a field PD, since you've were always such a natural at establishing and maintaining good relationships with the people around you. I have some great career news myself. Oppa's friend – who owns the dance studio we stopped by – recruited me to be a part of her crew! On days that the crew has no auditions or gigs, I get to work part time as a dance instructor's assistant.”

“Gui Er, that is great! Now you can graduate worry free. Will you be assisting a set instructor or do you just have odd jobs like I did as a runner?”

“I got assigned to someone you know quite well by now.”

“Ok Taecyeon?”

“You are correct!”

“Should I be worried?”

“Ah Bu, don't tell me you are jealous again. You were fine at the beach!”

“I meant for your students. What if you two cut into their class time because you and Taec Hyung don't stop bickering?”

“I am professional when I am in a practice room and on stage! You would have seen so if you came to the graduation showcase at Kirin.”

“I would have, but you know why I couldn't go.”

“I know, if you went, you probably won't be a field PD today.”

“Speaking of becoming a PD, somehow the news of my promotion got to Godfather who told Godmother, so she wants to know when we are available for a celebratory dinner at their estate.”

“I am free next Friday. It would be a great opportunity to wear our new Secret Santa gifts don't you think? Godmother is the type that would go all out, I beat she invited some big shots in the film and broadcasting industry. We should dress classy, just in case, since first impressions are more important than we'd like to think.”

“How was my first impression to you, Miss Wu?”

“Impactful, quite literally.” She answered thinking back to how they ran into one another outside the school cafe.

“Wasn't that our second meeting? Aren't girls usually the one to remember the details? I am hurt. I still remember the way you looked – so beautiful – wrapped in a fuzzy blanket, drinking a strawberry creme.”

“I thought you would count first official meetings as ones that actually contained conversation. In that case, Mister Yan, I thought you looked dashing and especially since you had my favorite brand of hot chocolate on you that day.”

“Good to know we felt the same way, just hope I look equally dashing on the night of the dinner.”

“I am sure you will, well actually, you won't...” She trailed off in thought just imagining her boyfriend in a formal silvery-gray suit, black dress shirt and honey-yellow bow tie, matching the cuff links he was gifted. He raised an eyebrow at his girlfriend who left off on a rather concerning note.

“I won't? Don't tell me after three years and eleven months, you are no longer physically attracted to me. That or it must be because you've only been surrounded by K-pop idol level visuals the entire time you studied in Korea, hence, your standards rose.”

“Ah Bu, will I ever stop looking beautiful to you?”

“Of course not! Even if we reach our Godparents' age, you will still be the same, or even more beautiful in my eyes.”

“Then how do you think I feel about you?” He thought about her questions and the girl he came to know inside and out in the almost-five years since their first meeting and the answer came naturally.

“You were just trying to picture me an a suit weren't you? And you stopped talking because...”

“You look even more handsome now compared to when we first met. Especially so in a suit. I can't wait for next Friday night.” She completed his statement looking directly at him, with a twinkle in her eyes and a curve in her lips, which eventually made its way to his, sealing the truthfulness in her comment. He smiled at her ability to always make his heart flutter and how easily she warmed his heart with her words and actions.

“Neither can I, Gui Er.” He breathed as he imagined her in a fitted rose-pink gown matching the earnings she has received. The ethereal image in his mind melding with the young woman, in lounge wear – loose T-shirt and sweatpants – before him, which stirred one more thought and his initiation of another consuming kiss right there on his couch. Definitely beautiful, then, now, and still will be in the future. After their intimate exchange, Gui looked at her boyfriend's retreating figure as he went to fix them some drinks and a light snack, and had some thoughts herself. He surely is handsome, especially with that ruffled hair – my recent handiwork, literally– too bad it won't be appropriate for me to “style” his hair in that way Friday night... She snapped out of her embarrassing thoughts when he returned, and shook her head slightly to clear her mind from such impure intentions, earning her a small chuckle from him, whom had an idea of what was going on in her mind, after seeing the faint blush on her face and her “sneaky” glances at his messy locks.

“It is too bad, I can only fix my own hair at the dinner Friday night. Would be nice if you could do it for me and I for you.” He teased running a hand through his own hair “seductively” resulting in a look of shock and flustered denial/ scoffing from the hooked girl.

“We can go to a hairdresser before going over to the estate.” She gave her best attempt to steer the conversation away from her exposed fantasies.

“You know that's not what I meant.” He refused to let her go without a “fight, his eyes clouding with an emotion she saw moments before – of desire and a flicker of amusement.

“You are teasing again.” She pouted, knowing that he is unrelenting. He laughed and gave her a light peck.

“Oh you don't even know the ways you do so to me.” He quipped, to which she looked at him questionably.

“How do I do that exactly?” She asked, fully knowing the answer, her knowledge revealed with her low and close whisper of a question.

“Rhetorical. You are doing it right now.” He whispered back, not wanting to lose this little y power struggle they are engaging in currently, although under normal circumstances he would be selfless in this regard, as would she, but not tonight, ironically. Maybe tomorrow I will let her/him win. They both had their minds set on that conclusion as their “flirting” session lasted well into the night, only pausing when they kissed and cuddled: which were win-win situations, obviously. The highly awaited Friday night was similarly a mutual victory for the pair, since they ended the long celebratory dinner with a private celebration of their own on the doorstep of Gui's apartment, Another heated “war” ensured in that moment – of their mouths, and in an absolutely speech haltering way. “Peace” between the vrying parties restored with a sensual turned sweet kiss and a warm hug before they both retreated back to their own homes. They both thought back to another very important victory that night. Ya Lun feeling eternally grateful to his girlfriend, while Gui felt a sense of pride for her boyfriend swell up.

~[FLASHBACK]~

Ya Lun gripped his partner's hand tightly at a shocking figure passing through the doors and currently headed towards them.

“Mother? What are you doing here?!”

“Ya Lun, why didn't you tell me about this party and your promotion? I would have been kept in the dark, carrying about my normal day, if it weren't for Ying Jie who paid me a personal visit to the office to hand me an invitation.” He looked at his girlfriend at his mother's response, a questioning “when” forming silently on his lips. She only gave him a solid pat on the forearm and mouthed “Have a good talk” before excusing herself to meet a world class dancer at their god-sister, Beatrice's beckoning.

“Can we talk, outside?” He ushered his mother, whom he has not seen since New Years – which was about seven months – towards the balcony.

“When were you planning on letting me know about these big changes in your life, next time there was a national holiday when you are coerced in attending a business function with me?”

“Please mom, its not like you ever cared to ask, you did not even show interest when I got the internship, or in my graduation for that matter!”

“I knew about those things, I even left gifts for you on your desk! Only you would never give them a second glance, assuming I got my secretary to pick them out. How was I supposed to bring myself to ask about the details of your life, when you hardly acknowledge me when we are in the same space?!”

“I just thought you were the one who doesn't want to face me, since I remind you so much of dad. You are the one always coping up in your workplace and not willing to spend time with me or Mei.”

“You are nothing like your father, my son. I came to today to tell you that I am proud of the man you became and that I am glad you choose your own path in life. Congratulations on your promotion.” The middle aged woman handed her shocked son a box and urged him to open it, before retreating, only to halt in her steps at the sound of her son's grateful and remorseful voice. 

“Thank you, Ma. And I am sorry for not trying to communicate with you properly all these years. I was so caught up in my own anger at you and dad for the past that I did not realize that you were also have your own feelings and regrets about how things turned out. I love this, by the way.” He held up the personalized megaphone.

“You haven't called me 'Ma' in a long time, son. Maybe now, you can reach me with your own voice. I have to go meet an important client, but if you are willing we can have lunch sometime, with Penny and Ying Jie too.” She offered with tears in her eyes, which he wiped away with his handkerchief, before using it to dry his own eyes.

“Lunch sounds perfect. Good luck sealing the deal.” In the spur of the moment, He did what felt right, give his mom a quick hug before letting her go. He felt somewhat overcome with emotion when he saw Gui giving his mom her goodbye greetings, and at his mother hugging her naturally like she was already a part of the family – which he could finally say was a proper family. He really could not contain his feelings when Gui Er headed towards him followed by another person he has not seen in years.

After a period of tense silence, Gui was about to nudge Ya Lun, but the mid-age man broke the tension first. 

“Aaron, you have got yourself a good one. She is one persistent woman, she came to my office many days in a row trying to slip the party invitation to my secretary. Now I really have nothing to worry about. Son, you have grown into a man before I knew it.”

“Father, its been a long time. Sorry I did not reach out to you sooner nor responded when you tried to contact me. I did not want to disrupt you and your family. I thought I had no place in your life anymore, I also thought you were not a needed presence in mine as well. ”

“Ya Lun, I know I have not been a reliable father since you were young, and I felt like I had no right to call you my son, because you are such a sweet and sensible boy and I thought I failed you. I would like to say, you will never disrupt my family, because you are my family. If you are willing, I hope that you and Ying Jie can come over, my wife and your half siblings would love to meet you formally. Frankly, tonight would be a wonderful start. But I guess it is too soon for you both and I shouldn't steal the star of the show from this party.”

“We can work something out. Here is my number, I will try my best to respond, Dad.” His father laughed heartily in a way Aaron could now vaguely remember, before the fights and the split of his family. The tears he held in finally fell as the burly man pulled him into a crushing bear hug, and Ya Lun laughed wholeheartedly at how easy it was to begin mending their estranged father-son bond.

“I am glad I came son, good job on your promotion. Your gift is in my car. I honesty had no idea what you would like or would be appropriate to give a future director, so I had some help from your half-brother who is aiming to be a photographer.”

“Thank you, Ba. I've been wanting a drone. Tell my little bro I said thanks for giving the perfect gift advice.” He said as they sent his father off for the night. As he watched the car drive off the property, he reached over to take his girlfriend's hand, brought it up and pressed a light kiss to the back of her hand, mouthing an “I love you”. She hook an arm around his waist with her free arm, and looked firmly at him to convey her silent “I love you, too” before they made their way back into the estate to carry on the celebration with the rest of the guests.

~[FLASHBACK END]~

In light of peace and reconciliation, Secret Santa also had no reason to put up a fight, until half a year later, when Aaron's ability to predict the future was confirmed, or at least that was what it seemed like.