Gift 8

12 Gifts From Secret Santa

I do not own any of the characters. This is for entertainment purposes only. Any plot similarities to other FF and stories/movies are coincidental. Character thoughts in Italicized, and Bold for emphasis. Blue texy hyperlink to photos of item described.


“He can still be so selfish sometimes, and here I thought he's gotten better after last year's macaron fiasco! He was fine when you broke the news to him, then he comes around and explodes when I tell him! Talk about double-standards!”

“Da Sao, calm down and explain the situation to me again. I can't help you over all your yelling.”

“Everyone knows that I have been interested in this study abroad program ever since freshman year! He knows better than anyone, since we've almost been hip to hip ever since I started here at TUA. I thought we were preparing for my upcoming year at Korea's Kirin Art Institute. Last year, he was the one who told me to go for this experience sometime in my college career! Now that everything – from my flight, to my living situation, to my courses at Kirin – are set-in-stone, he flips out on me! He rather stay here in Taiwan for college and get a job that allows him to travel after graduation. I respect that, but I didn't expect that I have to follow the same track just because we are dating! Why is he being so unreasonable? ” The aggravated second year dance major complained to the mature first year fashion major.

“Ge is worried for you, and part of him wanted to plan this trip with you. He was pretty excited when he first told me about it at home. I actually didn't expect that he would get so mad when you told him about the arrangements either. I'll ask him about his side of things later tonight, then I will call you.”

“Thanks Penny. I guess I will take some time to calm down and try to see from his perspective while packing the rest of my stuff.”

While this conversation was happening, in another house, a similar speech was given.

“She is being selfish again! I knew she would go for the program, I am fine with that, in fact I recommended it to her, but she didn't even discuss any details with me before finalizing everything on her own. She suddenly reports that she will be flying off the Korea end of winter break and starting the dance program at Kirin spring semester. She will be gone for a year, a whole year, and she expects me to be okay with her leaving in a month. Even employers get at least a two-weeks notice if someone were to quit. I am her boyfriend of all things, couldn't she have eased the concept to me over time?!”

“Bro, Gui mei did talk about Korea – where she wants to live while she was there, what courses she wanted to take, what foods she wanted to try – for the entire year already. I guess she just never specified on the date she actually wanted to leave until now. I can see why you are so upset, but its not like this outcome was complete out of the blue. You might have been a bit too harsh on her.”

“Maybe, but I couldn't help it. I guess I will take some time to cool down, while I work on changing our anniversary celebration event to accommodate her send-off party.”

“Let me know if you need any help with that man.”

“Thanks George.”

While busying themselves with work, the relationship-strained pair's minds still went back to their most recent very heated “conversation” and thought to themselves: How did we get to this point? How much longer will this fight last? Will we be okay if I / She leaves? What have I done?

~[FLASHBACK]~

Gui and Ya Lun sat together closely on their favorite couple's booth in their usual hangout spot – the campus cafe. Each of them going over their own documents and applications in a comfortable proximity, while making small talk.

“I started to apply for some internships with different studios and television stations.”

“That's great Ya Lun, I do hope you get an offer from your top choice, ETtoday. I applied for study abroad at Kirin Art Institute in Seoul.”

“When do you hear back from the school?”

“Actually, they accepted my application today. I can start in spring. I've booked a flight to go there once to look at the university affiliated housing facilities and to tour the campus during our break, after new years.”

Aaron moved away from their snug position to fully face Gui Gui, shock evident in his eyes, as he searched for a sign that she is just joking around with him. He spoke, louder than anticipated, when he saw only seriousness in her features.

“That is next month! Why are just telling me about this now? You expect me to be able to just send you off, with no questions ask, at a snap of your finger?”

“Its not like I am going off to Korea for good this time, I am just going for a week or so. I come back for another month before actually going for to study.”

She reasoned, her volume matching his, with unbelief at his unexpected protest.

“Korea is not next door Gui! How can you be so casual about this?”

“What do you mean casual, you saw me plan for this since the beginning of the quarter, with your own eyes!”

“Sure, but its not like you ever asked for my opinion while deciding everything. I support your dream to be a dancer, but I wish you would consider me in that more.”

“You say you support me, but now that I have a great opportunity to grow in this aspect, you are getting all freaked out!”

“I am not freaking out! Its an entire year Gui! Even if you won't miss me or your home while you are off dancing you soul out in Seoul, can't you at least realize that we will all miss you?”

“Why do you make it sound as if I am heartless, and that you are the only one who will have a hard time? I will be in a new country, surrounded by a completely different culture, a strange language and most of all people I don't know. I will be hard for me to adjust too!”

“If its so hard, maybe you shouldn't go.”

“You were the one pushing this onto me my freshman year! Now that I actually worked things out, you are raining on my parade.”

“I am not trying to do that, I just wanted to know if you had our relationship in mind when you decided to take off on such short notice.”

“I am not neglecting us by going to Korea, I only thought, of all people, you would be the most understanding and supportive of my decision.”

“Exactly my point, Wu Ying Jie, it was your decision.”

“If you were against me going, you should have just said so in the first place, not now, when everything is finalized.”

“You never gave me chance before it was finalized.”

“What do you mean, 'no chance'?! You knew about the program the same time I did. You could have said something then or at least while I was talking about all my travel plans! This is going nowhere.”

“I wish you were going nowhere.” I didn't mean that. He fell sullen after realizing what he had said in the burst of anger.

“You don't mean that.” He can't be serious. She tried to hold in the tears forming in her eyes which were currently sending a questionable and shocked gaze into his regretful orbs.

“Gui Er, I...” If I back down now, she won't understand why I got so angry. “I think we both need some time to think rethink this situation.”

“Ah Bu, I...” If I keep insisting, he won't understand why I am so frustrated. “I will go first then.”

For the first time in a long time, the two left campus separately, each unable to see past their anger with only one thing on their minds. Since I can't get through to him/her, I will find someone else who understands where I am coming from.

~[FLASHBACK END]~

I should have apologized then for saying a bunch of things I didn't mean. Then maybe, she would understand that I just need more time to prepare myself to be apart from her. He thought as he watched his phone screen change from photo to photo, all of the shots consisting of moments from the two – almost two – years they've been together. He then thought of the perfect way to remedy their current rift.

I should have insisted on talking things out. At least then, he would understand that I can only so courageously go abroad because no matter what, I know I'll have him as my number one fan. She thought as she flipped through the photo book he gave to her the year prior, on her first day at TUA – reminiscent of the time captured in each shot, when they were so happy and simply in love – before packing it into her hand-carry. She then thought of fitting way to convey her heart and fix their estranged relationship.

One week before her flight, Gui awoke to a pounding on her door.

“Gui Mei! Hurry on out, we are kidnapping you!”

“Geo? Who announces their plans like that?”

“Doesn't matter, come on.”

“Where are-

“You will see. Oh he worked so hard on this.”

“Wha-

“Ni Ni, you will spoil the surprise.”

“My bad.”

After a long car ride, Gui stepped out of the car, clumsily – since she was blindfolded – but she instantly recognized the sounds and smells surrounding her.

“Can I take off my blindfold now!? I know where we are.”

“Not yet, soon.”

After being ushered into a silent room, Gui removed her blindfold and her eyes slowly adjusted to the warm glow in the room from twinkling string lights. Her favorite familiar figure became the focus of her recovered sight. She ran to tackle the fuzzy form in a crushing embrace, then jumping back when it softly chuckled.

“Stitch, you're alive?” The live doll said nothing, but pulled out a seat, motioning for her to sit down, before bringing out a tower of assorted macarons and a two tiered strawberry cake, setting them on the round table before her. He then went to the small stage in front of the dining table and placed a large canvas with a giant flip book on it. He then played a soft instrumental track to set the mood, and flipped to the first page.

“Someone would like to say sorry to you.” He flipped to the next page, and the next each with one line on each page until the last page. “He knows his reaction was out of line.” “He understands your courage and excitement when it comes to chasing your dreams.” “He just wasn't ready to let you go yet.” “Would you let him accompany you in this journey, if not physically, then at least emotionally?” At the end of the canvas presentation the life-size Stitch walked up to Gui and handed her a note.

“If you say yes, please reveal my true face.” She gently lifted the fuzzy doll head, to reveal her next favorite face.

“Ah Bu, I am sorry too. I was not very considerate of your feelings when I went ahead and confirmed all my plans for Korea. Its just that you've given me so much encouragement regarding this opportunity, that I hurried in wanting to prove myself to you. That I am as brave as you believe me to be. I promise in the time I am still in Taiwan, I will spend most of it with you. I got us these Polaroid cameras and journals so that we can record our lives in the time while I am abroad. We can exchange them when I return so we can feel like I was never gone, and it can serve as evidence that we are still part of each other's journey for this and next year. I know we have our phones and social media, but it is more romantic this way.”

“Gui Er, sorry I overreacted. I was just taken aback at how quickly all of this is moving. It seemed like just yesterday you came to TUA and held a flyer for study abroad in your hands, saying one day you will go. I want you to know, you have my full support. In fact, for the week you go to Korea to test the waters, I will be going with you. That way, when you are there alone, every street and corner will have memories of us and you will feel closer to home. You've grown in the romanticism aspect, I am quite proud.” He declared, holding up a boarding pass for a flight to Incheon International Airport, the same flight she will be on in seven days.

“Proud of yourself for being a good teacher, I bet.” She teased before giving him a big hug, snuggling into the fuzzy blue costume.

“Thank you, Yan Ya Lun.” For believing in me, for being my source of strength, for being my sturdy lighthouse.

“You're welcome, Wu Ying Jie.” Its my pleasure to see you shine, even if its under a different sky.

Needless to say, the pair made many memories in the next week: enough for Gui Gui to call Seoul and Kirin a second Taipei/ TUA. Some were sweet, some were humorous, some were passionate, some were maddening, but all in all, they were their unique memories. Ones to remind them of the strong bond they share, ones able to help them withstand the degrees of separation both distance-wise and time-wise.

Another two months later, they stood once again at the airport terminal of departures, only this time, only one of them will board the plane.

“Do you have all your important things? Passport? Wallet? Phone? Travel's Insurance Card? Admis-

“Ya Lun, calm down, we checked all this earlier. I still have them on me. I promise I will call or text as soon as I land. I will call again when I've settled in. Even my parents are not as naggy.”

“Speaking of auntie and uncle, good thing your relationship with them has gotten better, they seem to be making more time for you.”

“I guess all it took was many honest long talks as a family. I laid out all my messy feelings; from my loneliness caused by their prioritization of their business, to my concerns about going to Korea. They shared their difficulties of relating to me and their pain of having to see me grow up but not being there all the time. We really took time to forgive one another and rebuild our bonds. They are even traveling to Seoul next month for two weeks as an anniversary trip and to visit me. This was all inspired by our fight, you know? I realized sometimes not holding back is the right thing to do.”

“Well then, I certainly won't hold back now. If I do, who knows how long I will have to wait before I can do this...” He pulled her in a crushing hug, and then proceeded to give her the longest kiss he could, she replied with the same longing, pouring all her feelings of not wanting to leave into their short but passionate interchange, so that she would have no regrets.

“You better not get too busy with your new friends and neglect me.” He joked, tapping her nose.

“I won't! You better not enjoy your freedom too much and forget me.” She jested, pinching his cheeks.

“I guess its time to let you go. I will go to check in with you, then you can go in alone.”

“I can check in by myse-

“Please, Gui Er” Let me at least have this one last request.

“Fine, only if you hold my hand throughout.” Might as well make the best out of it.

Satisfied with her demand, he took her hand in his not letting go even as she handed her passport over the counter. He only let go to help her with her checked baggage, then resumed to intertwine their fingers after.

“Miss, you have one more package here. It is quite large, would you like to send this as checked baggage as well?”

“Oh this box isn- Gui started to reply before catching her and Aaron's name on a note at the top.

 

Aaron Yan and Gui Gui Wu,

Forgiveness was when you both opened your hearts to one another and realized your love is larger than distance, stronger than separation, and deeper than oceans combined. In forgiveness, you two found the determination to support each other's dreams, even if it meant to put aside your own desires for the other. Sometimes forgiveness can come with compromise, I provided a means for you both to reach forgiving settlements.

~Your Secret Santa~

 

They opened the large package, and almost shouted aloud at the generous gift.

“I can't believe it. These must have been expensive.” Aaron mused at the new laptop in his hands.

“Its the model with the highest quality built in camera and mic” Gui joined in, holding the other mint-condition laptop.

“So we could properly video chat, instead of using our phone's horrible cameras.”

“I will be sure to make good use of it. I will call you everyday, and we can video at least once a week.”

After their agreement, sealed with a brief kiss, he walked her over to the entrance of security check, still holding her hand of course.

“Wu Xiao Jie, remember you have a boyfriend who loves you very much waiting for you here in Taiwan.”

“Yan Xian Sheng, don't forget your girlfriend in Korea loves you very much as well, and will be back before you know it.”

Half-reluctantly, Ya Lun let his Gui Er go towards the gate after one last kiss and hug, breathing in her sweet shampoo for strength to carry on his days without her immediate presence. She found herself doing the same with his natural scent she grew to love so much. With a smile and one last wave, the 20 year old girl left the 21 year old boy's line of sight. They instantly missed one another, but eventually felt excited for this new chapter of life as a long-distance couple. For the first six months, Gui certainly kept her promise of calling everyday, even if some calls only lasted five minutes and made time to video chat once, sometimes twice, week after week. They didn't always talk during this time, sometimes they worked on their own projects, however knowing that the other was just one screen away was enough. In the next half a year, with the both of them being so busy, their calls got shorter and their face to face chats became less weekly. The only long talks they had were when Gui wanted to discuss extending her studies in Korea for six months more, an arrangement which Aaron eventually – after 30 days – came to terms with. Secret Santa had no idea they would have to use international postage until an appearance of a concerning – to them and to Aaron – new close friend of Gui Gui's: one who could possibly rival her uneasy boyfriend.