Hellfire

\/s ↮ A Female Survival Program
↮\/s↮
Episode Nine

The episode starts with a montage of the ending of the previous.

There's a recap showing Ahri fainting, then being helped out of the theatre by Iseul, and ending with Hyomin's final declaration.

"The rest of you may change out of your costumes and then meet back here in an hour for your new challenge."

The logo fades in quietly, and just as softly fades back out, but the silence is abruptly shattered by a very loud, and very angry voice.

"New challenge?" Miyeon for the first time seems off balance as she yanks a brush through her hair.

She's sitting in Team One's change room in front of the mirror. The other three remaining members of the team aren't in sight, still changing out of their costumes.

"We're a woman down, not to mention we're worried about Ahri, and she's just starting up the next challenge like it's no big deal? Are none of you mad about this?" She glances over her shoulder, looking for agreement.

"It does seem unfair." Kaerin is speaking rather quietly, her voice shaky. "But at least they're letting Ahri rest?"

Miyeon huffs out a heavy breath. "I still don't like it."

"You don't have to." Jiwon appears in the line of sight of the camera, adjusting the collar of her dress and smoothing the back before sitting next to Miyeon. "This is a survival competition. Hyomin-sunbae is likely going to use this to judge how well we recover from an unexpected situation like this one. We just have to work twice as hard this week, to make up for the member shortage."

"It is hard to classify this simply as a situation." Shisae joins the two in front of the mirror, her hair slightly mused. Miyeon almost absentmindedly begins fixing the older contestant's hair as the rapper continues to speak. "Ahri is a teammate, not a situation."

Jiwon nods. "I agree, but we need to keep our wits about us. When Ahri comes back, we'll want to still be in the game."

The other girls nod, Kaerin finally appearing in the camera frame to give Miyeon a backhug. Her eyes are noticably red, and Miyeon pats her head consolingly.

In the Team Two dressing room things are just as tense.

Minah is pacing worriedly back and forth across the room, continuously entering and exiting the sight of the camera.

Yoonhee is watching Minah pace, herself a clear mess of nerves as she jitters unconciously, perched at the very edge of the bench.

Natchaya appears in the frame of sight and sits next to Yoonhee, placing a hand lightly on the youngest's shoulder in a silent gesture of support. Yoonhee gives her a tired smile and stops fidgeting somewhat.

"Minah, Ahri is being taken care of, and we're all fine. You should stop pacing before you make yourself dizzy." Hiroko's voice is loud enough to indicate she's likely only just out of the camera's frame. She speaks softly, as though to a scared animal.

Minah's pacing continues, and Hiroko sighs. "Well why don't we go grab some food before going back to the theatre? That way we'll have some energy to start on the new challenge?"

There's shuffling from offscreen, and then Jakyung's voice sounds.

"I can go get some stuff from the cafeteria." She offers, sounding a bit awkward.

Yoonhee looks up as well. "I can help carry things." She offers quietly, her voice shaky but determined.

Hiroko doesn't say anything, but seems to approve the offer as a moment later Jakyung cross the room and exits, closely followed by Yoonhee.

Minah finally stops pacing to sit heavily next to Natchaya. After a moment Hiroko joins them.

"We need to keep out heads on straight. Team One is going to be out for blood next challenge."

"Pretty sure they'll be reeling from losing a team member." Natchaya says dryly.

Hiroko glares at the other girl. "Or they'll want to regain ground. Either way we need to stay focused. We can't let this knock us back, we have a good stride going so far and we don't want to lose that."

Minah remains sitting silently between them as they continue arguing, and a moment later it shifts to an interview with the Team Two leader.

"I mean of course I'm worried about Ahri. I hope she gets better quickly. But... being an idol requires a lot more sacrifice than I thought." She's staring at her feet. "I keep wondering if I would have kept working like Ahri did if I was sick, and I keep thinking I wouldn't. Does that mean I'm not cut out to be an idol?"

The scene cuts back to Team Two's dressing room as Yoonhee and Jakyung return from their excursion to retrieve food. Yoonhee hands out energy bars as Jakung leans against the far wall.

"We got some for Team One as well. They seem like they're doing alright, all things considered." The singer reports, opening her own bar and taking a bite.

Hiroko pats Mina lightly on the shoulder. "See? Everyone's alright. Let's eat quickly and then go to the theatre, it's almost been an hour anyway."

"Yes mom." Natchaya rolls her eyes and gets up to stand with Jakyung against the far wall.

The five lapse into silence as they eat, and the scene shifts back to Team One to show them finishing their own energy bars.

"Alright, you guys ready? We should head out now if we don't want to be late." Miyeon stands first, brushing off her jeans and offering a hand up to Kaerin who accepts the offer.

Shisae and Jiwon get up on their own and silently follow their remaining teammates out of the changing room.

Gyujin greets them as they enter the theatre, and Kaerin attempts to smile back at him. Team Two is already in the theatre, sitting in the front row and speaking quietly amongst themselves.

Hyomin is off to the side, speaking rapidly with a man that, based on their reactions, the girls have never seen before.

Team One quickly moves to sit beside Team Two as the host turns back towards them. She nods upon seeing that all the contestants have arrived and quickly makes her way to the front of the room.

"Considering the lack of a teammate, I'm allowing the use of backup dancers for Team One this round." She doesn't wait for the girls to respond before continuing. "Other than that rehearsals will proceed as normal. Your challenge for this week is Hellfire. Dismissed."

Hyomin departs from the stage, leaving the girls to uncertainly divide into their groups and follow the judges out of the theatre, leaving Doyeol and Inho aone in the suddenly much larger room.

Doyeol shifts awkwardly and clears his throat. "Well I should get the interview questions ready-"

"What are the chances they actually rap this time? Nothing? Nothing divided by zero?" Inho sounds vaguely put out, not even looking at Doyeol even as he addresses the younger man.

Doyeol's discomfort is clear as he inches towards the door. "Um..."

"I'm going to get a drink. You're coming with me." Inho suddenly decides, grabbing Doyeol's arm and pulling him towards the exit, Doyeol flailing uselessly behind him.

"I have work though-"

"Not tonight you don't, I need a drinking buddy and Iseul says you're hilarious drunk."

"Iseul tells you things?"

Their discussion is cut off by the door slaming shut behind them, and the theatre falls into silence.

It then shifts to a shot of Iseul in the interview room, who's giggling. "Of course I told him, you were adorable! And anyway I tell Hyunmi and Inho everything, we're all good friends you know."

"Since when?" Doyeol sounds distinctly put out and Iseul laughs again.

"Since we were all hired for the show. We went out drinking a few times, so now we have to be friends forever. We all know too much." She grins innocently and DOyeol groans.

"Whatever, just could you tell me before you tell them things next time?"

She leans past the camera for a moment and her answer is given offscreen. "Promise. Now don't you have actual interviews to take?"

"Yeah." There's a faint smile in Doyeol's voice as Iseul leans back and moves to leave the room. "Could you get Hiroko for me?"

She nods and leaves, and there's a moment of silence before Doyeol releases a bleeped out swear.

"The camera was already on?"

The scene shifts to show Team Two in their practice room, where a heated argument has started between Hiroko and Natchaya.

   

 

"I'm just saying maybe let the leader actually lead for once, why do you have such a problem with that?" Natchaya's voice is raised in challenge and Hiroko's eyes narrow.

"If Minah wants to lead she can lead, but I don't hear her complaining, just you." The singer growls back, a Japanese accent slipping into her words in her frustration.

"Well maybe if you gave her a chance to talk-"

"Like you're doing now?"

Their voices rise as the argument gets more intense, and their three teammates look between them nervously.

Yoonhee leans over to Minah. "Maybe you should say something unnie?" She whispers uncertainly.

Minah keeps watching the argument with wide eyes. "Um..."

She's rescued from having to respond by Iseul's entrance into the room. The vocal judge eyes the two arguing contestants for a moment before loudly clearing , drawing both of their attentions.

"Hiroko, Doyeol wants to talk with you for a bit." She announces.

Hiroko nods slowly, glancing at Natchaya distrustfully. "Alright, I'll be there in a minute."

"Nope, now." Iseul doesn't let Hiroko argue as she steers the contestant out the door.

Natchaya immediately turns to Minah as soon as the door closes. "Alright, now that she's gone what do you want to do leader?"

Minha swallows hard.

In the interview room Hiroko looks quite upset. "You dragged me away at a crucial moment oppa, I want you to know that."

"You always say that Hiroko." Doyeol points out. "Now let's get started. The faster we finish this the faster you can get back to your team."

Hiroko nods and smoothes down her hair quickly before clasping her hands together in front of herself.

"So how do you feel about continuing the competition despite Ahri's accident?"

Hiroko chews her lip as she thinks. "Well, I understand why we have to. There's a set amount of time to the end of this show and we need to use it all to make the most of the time." She nods, happy with her own response.

"Do you think it's fair to the other team, considering they're down a member?"

"They have backup dancers now, so I think it's perfectly fair." Hiroko points out. "And honestly if Ahri hadn't overworked herself like that it wouldn't be a problem. I think they need to focus more on the well being of their teammates so that something like that doesn't happen again."

"You're blaming the team for Ahri being sick?"

Hiroko blanches. "No! No I mean shouldn't they have noticed she wasn't feeling well earlier? Groupmates look out for each other and I feel like they sort of failed to do that with what happened with Ahri, that's all I meant!" She looks imploringly at the camera. "That makes sense, right?"

The camera outside the interview room catches Hiroko exiting, looking downcast.

"I didn't mean it like that." She sighs, more to the air than towards anyone in particular. She trudges down the halls, her progress followed by the cameras lining the way.

As she approaches the Team Two practice room she slows, her brow furrowing in confusion. There's muffled music escaping into the cooridor from the practice room, and it's clearly thrown Hiroko off.

She enters the room to find her teammates huddled around Minah's phone, watching a video quite intently. Hiroko rolls her eyes and walks briskly over to them.

"I leave for five minutes and this is what you do?"

Natchaya doesn't even bother to look up as she replies. "Yes. We decided what we're going to do for the challenge. So it up and come watch this with us. Or are you too proud to do anything that you didn't decide on?" Her voice is clearly a challenge, her accompanying smirk audible if not visible.

Hiroko looks for a moment like she's been slapped, but then quickly regains her composure.

"Fine, that's fine. Tell me what we're doing."


The scene opens on Team One's practice room as they file in. It's clearly still the first day as they're in the same outfits and still look shaken.

     

Kaerin stares around the practice room blanky, appearing to not really be processing anything as she moves to the back of the room and sits against one of the mirrors, curling up into herself as she does.

Shisae lingers by the door, chewing her lip uncertainly, for the first time looking just a bit lost as to what to do.

Miyeon slides down next to Kaerin, awkwardly patting the younger girl on the back and looking at the other two in the room, her eyes demanding they do something.

Jiwon is eyeing the room carefully. "So. Hellfire." She speaks with clear distraction, her eyes still scanning the walls critically.

Miyeon looks annoyed but takes the offered discussion. "I may have a few ideas for it. We have to blow them away this round though." She pauses, before adding, "For Ahri."

Kaerin sniffs and nods. "For Ahri."

Shisae seems to finally shake off whatever she was struggling with before and enters the conversation as well. "I think we all agree. What was your idea Miyeon?"

"Wait." Jiwon has stopped her scan of the room and is now looking directly into the camera. "Did any of you read teh entire list of rules we were given on our first day?"

Miyeon and Kaerin shake their heads, but Shisae nods.

"I did." She adds aloud as she realizes Jiwon isn't looking at her.

Jiwon hums. "I don't recall there being anything saying we have to let them film our practices, do you?"

Shisae looks confused by the direction of the conversation, but she thinks for a moment and replies, "Not that I can recall. What are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking the best way to blow them away is for them to have no idea what to expect." She finally breaks eye contact with the camera to look over at Miyeon. "I'm counting on your idea to be pretty awesome." It's a clear challenge but Miyeon looks undisturbed, instead flashing a confident grin.

"Absolutely."

Jiwon nods, giving a small smile herself. "Then before you tell us, help me block the cameras and microphones in here. We're going to make them wait."

Miyeon glances to Shisae, who shrugs, and then to Kaerin who looks a bit perkier.

"Okay," The singer pipes up. "Let's do that. I like that idea."

The girls stand and grab their coats. A moment later the camera goes dark.

"They can't be allowed to do that!" Doyeol's annoyed voice comes in before the image of him does. He's standing in the interview room, addressing Hyomin who simly looks amused.

"Well they are right. We didn't even think to add in something requiring them to allow us access to their reearsal spaces while they're using it. My hands are tied."

"And my cameras could be getting damaged! You're the host, you're the only one tying your hands." Doyeol sounds extremely frustrated, but still remembers to use the proper honorifics even in his ranting.

Hyomin continues watching him with distinct amusement in her eyes. "Well perhaps I'm curious to see what comes of this." She gazes at him ponderously for another long moment before speaking again. "They are required to come when summoned for an interview though, so really your job shouldn't be affected."

Doyeol sighs. "You find this funny, don't you?"

Hyomin's mouth quirks up. "Perhaps."

Doyeol sighs and the scene changes to show Team Two slowly walking through what seems to be some sort of salsa dance.

Minah is leading the group through the steps, but she's clearly out of her element and stutters every few words.

"One two three, one two three-"

"Could you say the beats louder, I can't hear you." Natchaya, standing in the back of the current formation, speaks up in clear annoyance.

Minah flushes and clears . "Sorry, yeah, I can do that..."

It shifts to an interview with Hiroko. "I've got nothing against Minah being leader."

"But?"

She sighs. "But she's just... she isn't very good at it yet. I've been helping her out, giving her pointers and stuff at night if we're not too tired, but she just isn't confident enough to lead by herself yet."

"Then why don't you help her?" Doyeol suggests.

Hiroko makes a face. "If I even tried a certain Thai menace would get whiny and we'd probably accomplish even less."

Doyeol sounds unconvinced. "Is that really the reason you aren't helping?"

Hiroko looks insulted. "What are you implying?"

The scene returns to Team Two's rehearsal, though on a different day based on their clothes. Hiroko looks troubled as they continue working on the dance under Minah's awkward and often too quiet directions.

The Japanese contestant keeps glancing over at Natchaya as they work, and finally she seems to come to a decision.

"Minah unnie, why don't we take a quick water break?"

Minah looks at the group in surprise, and then looks embarrassed and apologetic.

"Oh my gosh it's been a few hours hasn't it, I'm sorry! Yeah, let's do that. Thanks Hiroko."

Natchaya rolls her eyes but heads over to the water bottles with Jakyung and Yoonhee.

Hiroko pulls Minah aside as the other three relax and being chatting amongst themselves.

"Hey, relax okay? You've done really well the past few days."

Minah looks surprised at hiroko's words. "Not as good as you."

Hiroko takes a deep breath before giving a smile. "Only because you don't trust yourself. Relax, and don't be afraid to tell instead of asking. You're in charge and I know you've got good instisncts for this stuff."

Minah looks touched, her eyes getting a bit teary. "I don't know about that but," She blinks a bit to clear her eyes and gives Hiroko an uncertain smile. "I'll try."

Hiroko nods and the two join the rest of their group.

The scene seguesto an interview with Yoonhee, who looks quite cheerful.

"Minah unnies's been great! I think our performance is really going to stand out." She declares boldly. "We're going to do something really unique."

"Do you wish Minah had taken on her leader duties earlier then?" Doyeol prompts.

Yoonhee shakes her head emphatically. "No, Hiroko was good too! They're both good in their own ways, I'm just happy unnie is stepping up!" The Team Two maknae gives a bight little smile to finish.

The scene changes then to another interview, this one with the Team One maknae, who's also smiling though hers has less innocent excitement and more wry teasing.

"I'm not telling you about our performance oppa." Jiwon says, keeping steady eye contact with the camera. "You're all going to have to wait and be surprised."

"You told me about it last time." Doyeol protests. "And you have to participate in the interviews." He adds. "I read the rules."

Jiwon shrugs. "I am participating. I'm just not being helpful."

"Those girls have had a bad influence on you." Doyeol complains. "You used to be so polite."

Jiwon looks slightly surprised at the comment, but then she gives a slightly warmer smile than the last one she'd had. "Maybe they are."

Miyeon is equally unhelpful in her following interview.

"We all swore to secrecy, you're not going to get anything out of us." The visual says confidently, her eyes twinkiling with amusement.

"I can keep you here all day if I want to." Doyeol threatens, though there's little bite in his words.

Miyeon outright laughs. "I'd be impressed if you managed to do it. Don't you have other interviews to conduct? It would be quite a waste of a day to spend it in a staring contest with me." She blinks innocently.

Doyeol sighs. "Fine, you can go."

The cameras catch Miyeon as she heads back down the hall, skipping just a bit, clearly pleased with herself. As she reaches her team's practice room she pauses, and then turns to scrutinize the camera above the practice room door.

"Hey Jiwon, should we block the mic out here do you think?" She opens the practice room door and calls in to her teammate, who calls back with an affirmative.

Miyeon vanishes for a moment before reappearing, a coat in hand and a cheeky grin on her face. She gets close to the camera a gives it a winning smile.

"Sorry guys, no peeking!"

With that the coat is tossed over the camera.

In Team Two's practice room they seem to have found a rythm and are now working with flowing red skirts wrapped around their waists.

Minah is calling the counts with more confidence, her voice clearly audible over their music.

Hiroko and Jakyung head the formation, mouthing along to the song lyrics. Hiroko is flowing though the dance with little trouble, but Jakyung misses several steps.

Minah waves for them to stop and looks towards the vocalist. "Do you need a break Jakyung? SOmetimes it helps to walk away for a bit and then try again later."

Jakyung shrugs. "I won't say no to some water." She agrees cheerfully and heads over to where the bottles.

Hiroko frowns. "Maybe I could work with her one-on-one Our parts coincide in a lot of areas and I think she's at the point where she just isn't getting the dance."

Minah blinks, and then nods. "If you think that would work then go for it." She claps her hands to get Natchaya and Yoonhee's attention then, as Hiroko follows Jakyung, "Alright, the three of us can work on our final section then!"

The scene shifts to an interview with Jakyung.

"The dancing is quite saucy." She grins. "But I'm just not a great dancer. It's not that big of a deal I don't think, I'm mostly on the side anyway, not in the center."

"Do your teammates agree with that?" Doyeol asks.

Jakyung shrugs. "Probably."

"I don't agree with that. She said that?" Hiroko sounds extremely annoyed.

Doyeol hums. "I thought that might be the case. You've been working with her though, right? Is she getting better?"

Hiroko sighs. "Slowly. I get the feeling she doesn't really... care, you know? Ugh, that sounds bad." She runs a hand down her face. "I know people like her better than me, but it's frustrating to see someone not trying as hard just because they know they can coast!"

Doyeol sounds surprised by her outburst. "Does she really know that?"

Hiorko sighs. "If she doesn't then she's just lazy. I'm not sure which would be worse honestly."

The next shot show Team Two the day before the performances, as announced by a note in the bottom left corner of the scene.

Jakyung is keeping up better than previously, but she still occasionally skips or stumbles over steps. She keeps up a bright smile though, and the group pushes through the song.

Minah pauses the music and tosses a bottle of water to Hiroko as the other three fetch their own bottles.

"Alright that wasn't bad guys. Yoonhee and Natchaya, you were out of sync with the rest of us around the fourth bar in the break but it wasn't too dramatic and should be fixable beore tomorrow. Hiroko, notice anything?"

Hiroko shakes her head. "That was my major note as well." She glances at Jakyung, and then seems to decide against speaking to her. "I think we've got a good chance tomorrow."

Yoonhee cheers happily while Natchaya rolls her eyes, though she's also sporting a faint smile.

"They won't stand a dance!" Jakyung declares.

"I think that's the worst pun you've made since we met." Natchaya laughs. "Let's do this!"


The backstage is as busy as ever as Hyomin and Gyujin wait in the wings.

Hyomin is scanning the flow of people, clearly looking for someone in particular, and finally she waves to the same woman who had intercepted Doyeol the previous performance.

The woman makes her way over, looking exasperated. "We're a bit busy right now Hyomin." She says pointedly.

The host nods. "I understand that, but I thought you should know that we're switching the performance orders. The girls have already been informed."

The woman groans. "And you couldn't tell us this earlier? Oh wait, don't tell me, this is another of your last minute 'brilliant' ideas isn't it?" She doesn't wait for a response. "Fine my guys are on it. You're lucky we're good at what we do."

Gyujin raises an eyebrow. "You probably owe her a pay raise by now."

Hyomin shrugs. "Game face Gyujin, five seconds to start."

The view changes to a pan over the audience as they settle into their seats, chatting excitedly with each other. A moment laer Hyomin and Gyujin enter the stage, smiling and waving as the crowd cheers.

"Hello hello and welcome back to Vs! I see we have a lot of familiar faces out there tonight." Gyujin grins at two girls in the front row waving signs for him and they laugh and hide from the camera.

"We understand we have quite an impressive whos for you tonight." Hyomin continues. "This week's challenge was Hellfire, and one of our two teams decided to kick it up a notch and block the cameras, so even we don't know what's in store tonight!"

More applause, and the camera switches to show Team Two in their dressing room, wearing identical outfits remenicient of flamenco dancers, complete with red roses in their hair.

Yoonhee has her skirt pulled up in front of her as she carefully practices a few steps in the thin black heels they're all wearing.

Hiroko lightly places a hand on her shoulder, smiling warmly. "We'll be fine Yoonhee-ah, relax."

Yoonhee nods but her foot is still tapping even as she drops her skirt. "I'm just so nervous. Why did they put us first? Did something happen with Team One again? We haven't even seen them in the dorms this week and I'm really worried."

Hiroko pats her head lightly, careful to not jostle the tight bun it's in. "I'm sure they're fine, they're a tough bunch. I'm sure the host has her reasons, let's just focus on going out there and nailing this performance, yeah?"

Yoonhee exhales nervously. "ALright."

"Five minutes, mark." A stagehand pokes her head into the chaging room and the girls thank her before quickly gathering their skirts and heading into the wings.

The camera changes to show the stage, and a moment later Team Two walk out, looking confident as the audence cheers in anticipation.


Hiroko - Sunye; Dark Hair in a bun/Mic Problems, Jakyung - Yeeun; Long Red Hair, Minah - Hyelim; First Singer, Natchaya - Sunmi; Short Black Hair, Yoonhee - Sohee; Light Bun/Doesn't sing

The team holds their final pose, grinning widely as the fans applaud. They relax into neutral stances as Hyomin speaks.

"That was quite a performance, it's rare to see flamenco dancing in this industry. But how do you think it relates to the challenge?"

Minah speaks up, sounding slightly nervous but keeping her voice steady and audible. "Survivor is a song about a woman not letting a man back into her life. If he tries to come near her he'll get burned by her anger." She shrugs with an awkward smile. "The flamenco is mostly because they dress in red which is the color of flames."

Hyomin nods and gestures to the judges.

Inho sighs. "Give me something to critique next time. Hell I'll even be nice to you Nat, just actually do some rapping for once."

Natchaya looks ready to bite his head off. "Don't call me Nat."

"Then give me something to do." He challenges back.

Iseul clears loudly. "If you're quite done." She raises an eyebrow at Inho, who shrugs and leans back in his seat, much more cheerful than he had been when he'd first spoken.

Iseul turns back to the girls. "The vocals weren't anything stunning, which I was dissapointed by. Jakyung, Hiroko, even you Minah, you have very unique, deeper voices that were well utilized in your past few performances that we lost a bit in this performance. Perhaps it was because they weren't put against the lighter backdrop of Natchaya and Yoonhee's vocals. Whatever it was, I felt you could have done much better than you did. That said your pronounciation was quite good so good job for that."

Hiorko nods, a small, dissapointed frown on her face. Minah also gives an apologetic bow to the judge, but Jakyung doens't seem bothered by the feedback.

Hyunmi then gives the girls a smile. "I did like your idea to use flamenco dance. It's a beautiful artform that not many have the guts to try. You didn't do too badly considering you have no formal training, but there was one glaring problem." Her eyes dart to the far left. "Jakyung. You kept missing steps, and even swished your skirt in the wrong direction just before the breakdown portion. It was very noticable and detracted from the overall performance. I know flamenco is a difficult dance form, but I do think you could have done better with more practice."

Hiroko shoots a glance at Jakyung, who this time has the decency to look slightly ashamed.

"I apologize, next time I'll do better." She promises.

Gyujin raises his hand as the girls prepare to depart. "Can I say something? I just wanted to point out Hiroko's excellent decorum when her mic pack fell off partway through the performance. That was very professionally handled and I wanted to point it out." He smiles at the Japanese contestant, who looks pleased that her recovery hadn't gone unnoticed.

The Team finally exits, and the camera switches to a new view, a note in the corner of the screen revealing it's an hour before Team Two's performance.

The girls of Team One walk into their dressing room chattering excitedly.

"I'm really glad Hyomin put us second again, Team Two would never be able to follow our awesome performance!" Kaerin giggles as she hurries out of sight, presumably to get dressed.

Miyeon smiles. "Not to toot our own horn, but yeah. I have to agree with that." She grins over at Jiwon and Shisae, who share their own amused glace.

"We've certainly worked hard, but we shouldn't get too arrogant before even seeing their performance, or heard our own critiques." Shisae warns.

Jiwon nods in agreement, but then smiles slightly. "Though they'll really have to up their game if they want to stand a chance."

Miyeon laughs. "You've gotten far more tolerable this week Jiwon, did you know that?"

Jiwon shrugs. "Doyeol might have said something. But hey, weshuld block this camera before it catches anything else." She adds, glancing up to the screen.

Miyeon shrugs off her jacket, lines up, and tosses it. The screen goes dark.

The scene returns to Team Two exiting the stage to a round of applause. A moment later, the entire theature goes pitch black, and several patrons scream - until the stage is lit up in red, outlining two figures.


Miyeon - Hyeri;1st Performance, Short Hair, Shisae - Yura;2nd Performance, Black Hair, Jiwon - Sojin; 1st Performance, Long Hair, Kaerin - Minah; 2nd Performance, Brown Hair

The crowd cheers as Kaerin and Shisae exit to continued music, the dancers still moving. However the audience quiets again as the music turns into a new song, and all four members of Team One walk back onstage sporting entirely new outfits.


Miyeon - Hani;Short Hair, Shisae - LE;Rapper, Jiwon - Junghwa; Long Hair, Kaerin - Hyerin; Boycut

As the music plays, the four elicit cries of surprise as they do a quick change right there onstage, ridding themselves of their leopard print to reveal new, all black outfits underneath. Again the music shifts and they launch into another dance as most of the backup dancers depart, taking the discarded costumes with them.


Miyeon - Hyeri;Ponytail, Shisae - Yura;Black Hair, Short Necklace, Jiwon - Sojin; Brown Hair, Kaerin - Minah; Black Hair, Rosary

This time the audience pauses before realizing the performance is complete. Once they've come to that conclusion, the noise of their cheering is almost deafening.

Both hosts also look quite impressed, and Inho looks particularly gleeful.

Hyomin has to wait almost a full minute for the crowd to calm down, during which time the girls never stop waving and laughing, looking as surprised as the audience at their own performance. Once there is relative calm again, the host speaks.

"So what was your approach to the challenge?"

The members all look to Miyeon, who proudly steps forward. "'Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.'" She quotes, looking incredibly satisfied.

"The first two performances were the woman before she was played, when she's still curious about romance." Kaerin jumps in, and their explanation is clearly something they've practiced as Shisae continues smoothly.

"The second song occurs when she's being taken advantage of, but she's trying to insist that he is going to leave his other lover for her." The rapper says before glancing to Jiwon to finish.

"And the final performance shows how she's lost her trust. We chose to not sing to that performance because the woman has learned that words don't mean anything, it's actions that matter."

Gyujin grins. "And here I thought you were just too tired from all that dancing!" He jokes.

Hyomin shakes her head slightly and gestures for the judges to give their thoughts.

Inho speaks first without even checking with the other two. "Shisae you're my new favorite. The rap was well executed in both flow and emotion. I'm not sure if I'm just relieved to finally hear some rapping, but that short section I think is your best performance from the entire show, so good job."

Shisae looks surprised, and then smiles almost shyly as she bows in thanks.

Iseul takes a breath, looking over her notes. "Okay there's a lot to say but I think we're low on time thanks to the length of your performance so I'll break it down person by person and focus on the major points I have. We'll start from the odest.

"Shisae, while your rapping was good your singing in the first part was subpar, even for you. Work on raising your pallete, we talked about this a few weeks ago." It's a light scolding and Shisae takes it in stride.

Iseul continues with the next oldest. "Miyeon, you also struggled some in the first part, but I was pleasantly surprised by your singing in Abracadabra. You do suffer from breath placement issues same as Shisae but it served you well in the second song, unlike in the first where it simply made your voice sound highly breathy, which while it can be a style isn't one that works for you."

Miyeon nods.

Iseul smiles up at Kaerin next. "I honestly have nothing to say, you did excellently today Kaerin. I'm happy to see your breathing is getting better."

Kaerin beams.

Finally Iseul turns to Jiwon, and the maknae tilts her head patiently as the vocal judge asseses her for a long moment before speaking.

"Where was that voice a few weeks ago, hm? You've been holding out Jiwon. While you're not a Kaerin level singer, perhaps not Ahri level either, but you have good technique and a pleasant sound that I think was underutilized up to now. I'd like to hear more from you in the future."

Jiwon looks slightly surprised, but she bows. "I'll be sure to keep that in mind."

Hyunmi glances at her watch and sighs. "Well I have a lot to say and no time to say it in so I'll do the cliffnotes. The dances were generally well executed, but as usual there was a lot of stiffness from Kaerin. I did like your utilization of Shisae in the main dance position for your performances since she's easily the best dancer on your team." She glances over her notes again and sighs. "I'm starting the critiques next week." She says to her two fellow judges, who grin innocently back at her.

Team One bows again as applause rises once again, and they're joined by Team Two shortly after. Hyomin stands and smiles to the camera.

"And that's our show! Don't forget to vote, and we'll see you here next week."

Author's Note

Look who's early this time! Anyway I really am sorry for the fiasco of me getting sick last week and missing an update, but I hope this makes up for it? OTL Also you can thank Dreamcatcher and their amazing debut for this chapter honestly, I've been listening to it on loop since it was released and it really gave me a boost so... check out Dreamcatcher!