The Beginning

\/s ↮ A Female Survival Program
↮\/s↮
Prologue

The screen starts black, but the Arirang logo soon flickers to life over the dark background, glowing neon red. However it's light is soon shattered when two poles fly in from the corners of the screen and meet in the middle, smashing the logo. An 's' is stamped next to the V shape and the Vs logo is lit from below by spotlights before the screen appears to shatter completely as the sound of cheers bursts into the audible foregroud.

The scene is set on the Arirang stage, but the seats are twice as full as they are normally. On the main stage a man is waving, smiling, and interacting with the crowd to hype them up more. When he spots that the camera is on, he stands straight and gives it a charming grin, raising his previously forgotten microphone to begin speaking.

"Hello and welcome to the opening act of Versus! My name is Kim Gyujin and I'll be your host for the duration of this show!" He pauses to grin again and wave the cheering crowd. "Tonight we'll be introducing our contestants and their judges, and we'll get a glimpse of what they're capable of! But first, if I may present my lovely co-host, Ahn Hyomin!"

More cheers start up as a woman makes her way to the stage, smiling politely and accepting a microphone from Gyujin, who seems to have produced it from nowhere.

"Thank you Gyujin. However I believe I am the official host of the show, and you're the co-host."

Gyujin laughs. "Well, I guess my time in the spotlight is over!" He jokes cheerfully. "Well Hyomin, any thoughts you'd like to share before we let the contestants take the stage?"

Hyomin thinks for a minute. "Well I'd say one thing to keep in mind is that each of these girls was specifically chosen by her company to represent them on this show, and having spoken with them all I know they all have something special about them. Keep an eye out, you never know who might surprise you."

Gyujin nods in agreement. "Absolutely! I'm looking forward to seeing these girls perform! Alright without further ado let's get started!"

The camera pans around the audience, before it changes back to the stage, where three women are standing, waiting to begin.

Several audience members gasp in surprise when the heaviest of the three girls flawlessly drops into the splits. When the performance ends the cheers quickly start up.

The girl who did the splits as well as the other decked out in furs bow politely and quickly start to make their way offstage, while the third takes a little longer, grinning widely and waving excitedly to the crowd, even throwing a few kisses at some of the male audience members.

She's eventually shooed off by a staff member as the hosts reclaim the stage.

"Well that was quite the start to our show, don't you think?" Gyujin is promptly back to interacting with the audience, even holding out his mic when one young man in the front row enthusiastically shouts his agreement. "And that was just the beginning!"

Hyomin interrupts him then. "Indeed it was, and we still have quite a few performances left, so I hope you're all ready for them." Her voice doesn't carry quite the same jubilation that saturates Gyujin's, but the audience cheers nonetheless and she smiles faintly. "Now then, without further ado, the next performance."

There's a scene break and the stage suddenly has three microphones on it. Three young women come out shortly after to claim their positions, and begin to sing.

All three girls get applause when they start singing for the first time, but the third vocalist's cheers greatly outweigh those of the other two, causing one of her groupmates to look a bit disheartened but she continues on.

When the song ends a couple of the guys start calling for the third singer to sing some more, but she just smiles coyly and shoots them a wink before heading offstage, a distinct spring in her step. The other two follow, the one who had seemed dissapointed managing a smile and wave as she goes. The third girl, by far the prettiest of the groups so far, takes a bit longer, waving and flirting wordlessly with the crowd before finally excusing herself with one last eye smile.

Once they've left the mic stands are cleared, and almost immediately after three more girls walk onto the stage.

They take up a triangle formation, and the one to the audience's right raises her microphone as the familiar beat begins and puts her own rap at the front.

"Hey! All my girls from V-S! You guys ready!?" Her excitement is infectious and the crowd chants along as the song really gets going.

The girl who had hyped up the crowd is jumping along with them when the song is over, reaching out to try and grab hands and looking extremely excited. The main rapper of sorts looks quite pleased as well, waving happily to the crowd. The third rapper, the one with the least lines, is smiling and waving along with the other two though her eyes aren't as bright as theirs.

The third girl leaves quickly but the other two have to be ushered off by staff as the hosts return to the stage.

"Well that was fun, don't you agree?" Gyujin is as cheerful as ever, and the crowd reacts well. "And we're only half way through!"

"We'll be taking it down with this next stage, so we hope you continue to enjoy the performances." As always Hyomin is reserved with her words, but, with some encouragement from Gyujin, the crowd cheers, and the two leave.

They're shortly replaced by a group of girls all in white. The three contestants are wearing purple accents to stand out from the backup dancers, but are still a bit hard to pick out until the music starts and they begin their performance.

After it finishes, the rapper's smile drops somewhat. She nods politely to the crowd and heads offstage first, not waiting for her groupmates.

The other two give themselves more time. One excitedly waves and tries to respond to a few of the audience members as they yell out questions. The other just looks amused as she waves and watches everyone, her amusment only growing when the staff has to shoo them off of the stage.

For a long moment the stage stands empty. Then the music starts and one by one the contestants make their presence known. Each time a new contestant appears the audience freaks out for a moment before falling silent, wanting to hear every note.

As the song finishes the crowd erupts into applause, and all three contestants bow. One promptly pops back up and being waving excitedly to the crowd, jumping up and down with excitement. The other waves politely but has nowhere near the energy of the other.

The third girl quietly excuses herself only moments after the performance ends, though few notice her departure. After giving the girls some time to interact with the crowd the two remaining ones are rushed off as a curtain is set up at the back of the stage.

A group of people enter the stage at once, but this time the contestants are obvious, dressed up in gold. However there are only two, and several audience members look around, craning to find the final contestants. However when the song starts, no one can look anywhere but the women singing.

When the rapper appears from behind the curtain there's a moment of chaos in the audience, that quickly checks itself so everyone can listen to the rapper. When the song ends the three all crowd to the front of the stage to greet and interact with the audience. Unlike the other groups, every member of this one seems content to wave for as long as they can.

After a while the hosts enter the stage, and the three girls bow to them and hurry off, still waving as they go.

Gyujin waves cheerfully to the girls and the audience as Hyomin takes the mic.

"Now that you've seen what our contestant are capable of on the stage, let's find out what they're like off the stage. Our interviewer No Doyeol has spent the past week getting to know these eighteen girls and he's put together a video to introduce them all."

The screen changes to show a small practice room. Inside, the first performance group is practicing their dance.

   

The three look up when the camera enters, and one of the girls waves.

"Hello Doyeol-oppa! What's up?"

The cameraman - Doyeol - grumbles. "Don't speak so informally Jaelyn. Now you're supposed to introduce yourselves so the audience knows who you are."

"Audience?? Where?" Jaelyn looks around in surprise before giggling to herself. One of the other girls smiles as well at the attempted humor, though the third doesn't seem to even realize a joke was made. Jaelyn continues, unperturbed at the joke's failure. "Well then invisible audience, I'm Lee Jaelyn of Stardom Entertainment! Hiya!" She waves enthusiastically into the camera. "I'm a dancer mainly, but my singing and rapping are no joke either!"

The quieter girl rolls her eyes in the background, and Doyeol focuses on her despite Jaelyn protesting. "You disagree Shisae-ah?"

Shisae looks slightly surprised, but then gives a shrug. "She's not bad." Is all she says, so Doyeol finishes the thought for her.

"But she's not that great."

"I am!" Jaelyn protests, mockingly sad. "Here I'll sing for you right now!"

"Please don't, you can do that during the performances at the end of the week. Shisae, why don't you introduce yourself?"

"Yoo Shisae, GH Entertainment. Please take care of me." When she finishes she goes back to practicing the dance, which she'd been doing the entire time.

Doyeol doesn't push it and turns to the final girl in the room, recognizable from her weight and the split she'd done in the first performance. She smiles when she sees it's her turn to talk.

"Hello everyone, my name is Lee Minah and I'm from Cowl Entertainment! You probably haven't heard of it but our group Various released their song 'U' earlier this year and you should check it out!"

"Minah you're supposed to promote yourself."

"Ah, I know." She seems to fumble for a moment before the smile is back in place. "I'm from LA and I say my specialty is dance but really I'm just flexible since I was a cheerleader for..." She trails off and starts counting on her fingers, brow furrowed with thought. "...Six years? Yeah, six. I started when I was thirteen and now I'm nineteen."

"Alright, wel if no one has anything else to say-"

"I do!"

Doyeol ignores Jaelyn. "I'll be on my way. Good luck with practice."

Jaelyn's whining can be heard for a few moments even after the door closes behind Doyeol. The interveiwer makes his way to the room next door, where the girls from the second performance appear to be having an argument. They quickly stop when the door opens and look over in surprise.

   

"Ah, hello Doyeol-sunbae." The prettiest girls smiles warmly. "Checking in on us?"

"Something like that. I'm gathering introduction footage so the audience can learn who you are."

The girl nods, but before she can speak the Japanese girl interupts her.

"Hello there, my name is Akiyama Hiroko! I've come from Japan to train at Rainbow Bridge World. I'm a singer and a dancer, but I like singing more." She smiles brightly.

The girl she interrupte waits patiently for her to take a breath, and then promptly begins her own introductions. "And I'm Kim Miyeon. I'm just from here in Korea so I'm not as interesting as Hiroko here," she laughs lightly. "But I hope you'll remember me and Midas Entertainment just the same!"

"You were on Produce 101, right Miyeon? Surely some poeple will already know you." Doyeol supplies the question, focusing completely on the beauty in front of him as she smiles modestly.

"I did reach episode ten of P101, and it was a wonderful experience. I'm excited to try again and continue to promote my company." She ends with a warm smile.

The camera turns to the last girl, who's been standing awkwardly to the side the whole time. "Kyungmi? Anything to add?"

She jumps. "Ah, yes! I'm Kwon Kyungmi. From YNB Entertainment. I'm a dancer." She blushes awkwardly. "Nice to meet you."

Doyeol seems content with that as he leaves the room, after one last smile from Miyeon, and heads to find the third group of performers.

   

One of the girls, the main rapper in the final performance, is directing the other two when Doyeol enters.

"No, Yujin a little more energy, I'm not cutting your parts again you already barely do anything and I won't have people complaining-" She cuts herself off when she sees the camera. "Ah, hey Doyeol-sunbae. We're just finalizing the line distributions to create the perfect performance!" She smiles brightly towards the camera, and the other two grin as well.

She blinks then and seems to realize something. "Oh this is the introduction video right? You were talking about that right Olivia?"

The Japanese girl nods cheerfully. "Yup, I overheard Hyomin telling Doyeol about it a couple days ago!"

Doyeol coughs in annoyance and the foreigner looks over at him. "Ah right. I'll go first! I'm Olivia Sonada, representing Hama Entertainment! Hold on tight everyone, because I'm nothing like other girls!"

The first speaker rolls her eyes slightly before addressing the camera. "Hey everyone, my name is Jin Hyojin, rapper extrodinaire, representing Coridel Entertainment. I hope you'll look out for me." She grins widely and then looks over at the last girl, who's been quietly waiting for her turn.

She blinks and then smiles cutely at the camera when she sees it's facing her. "Hello, I'm Eugene Nam. I'm from Polaris Entertainment." She stops there and smiles a bit nervously. "Nice to meet you?"

The three girls all wave when Doyeol leaves shortly after to find the fourth group.

  

Things seem to be running pretty smoothly in the fourth practice room. One of the contestants is on her own, practicing her lines while the other runs vocal warm ups with the third. The one by herself is the first to notice Doyeol's entrance.

"Good afternoon Mr. No, can we help you with something?" She's extremely polite with her words.

The other two look up as she speaks and spot the camera simultaneously. The shorter of the two waves happily while the other gives a semi-sarcastic finger wave, accompanied with a wry grin.

"Hey Mr. Cameraman," She says it cheerfully but there's something mocking in her demeanor. "Here for our closeups?"

"Unfortunately. Just introduce yourselves please."

The snarky one goes first after the other two say nothing for a long moment. "Well then, as you probably already guessed dear viewers, I'm Thai. The name is Natchaya Sirisukha, triple threat in singing, rapping, and being generally awesome. I'm representing NAP Entertainment." She looks like she might say more, but Doyeol turns the camera to face the girl she'd been talking to quickly.

Natchaya snorts offscreen as the other girls jumps. "Oh, my turn? Um, hello everyone, I'm Lee Yoonhee! Maybe you know me from The Man from Nowhere, but I wasn't too big of a part in that one. I've mostly just been training since then since the CEOs at SIDUS HQ thought that I still needed some practice. But now I'm here, so hopefully all my training has paid off!"

"Didn't you just switch to idol training a year ago?" Natchaya chimes in from offscreen.

Yoonhee nods. "Well yes, but I've been wroking very hard! Please anticipate me everyone!"

Doyeol then focuses on the final girl, the first to address him. She waits a moment before speaking.

"My name is Oh Jiwon, from NH Media. Like Natchaya I specialize in both singing and rap and hope you'll support me. This is truly a unique opportunity for all of us and know that each of us is giving our best effort to make this a memorable experience for the contestants and viewers alike." She bows politely when she finishes speaking.

Doyeol leaves while Natchaya starts teasing Jiwon about the speech. He finds the fifth group in a state of confusion.

  

"I'm just saying that you're cracking on that note, why are you being so difficult over this? I'm trying to help!" One of the girls appears highly frustrated with the other, who doesn't seem to be listening as she makes faces at herself in the mirror. The third girl sits quietly to one side, looking over a lyrics sheet and generally ignoring the other two.

"I sing fine, everyone says so! Relax a bit unnie, we're here to have fun!"

"No we're not Jina! Why can't you-" The older girl finally spots the camera. "Look I'll explain in a bit. Can we help you Doyeol-sunbae?"

The third girl looks up when the interviewer's name is said, and she startles when she sees the camera, but otherwise remains silent.

"Just here to get your introductions. Name and company are a must, and then whatever else you'd like to add in."

The woman nods. "Alright sounds good. I'm Kim Yeeun from CT Entertainment, vocalist. Everything else I think you can learn through the show, so watch out for me!" The end line is said with awkward cheesiness, and it's clear from Yeeun's face that she knows it.

The girl she'd been talking to before decides it's her turn to talk. "I'm Seo Jina! I'm a trainee at Asia Bridge Company, but I hope to be a debuted idol under Arirang soon!"

"Jina it's a temporary group you're still going to be a trainee." Yeeun points out, sounding tired.

"Oh poo. I'm excited to start and meet all of our future fans! Wait for me everyone! I'm going to blow you away with my singing!" She cheers for herself.

Doyeol then turns to the last contestant in the room. "Ahri?"

"Ah, neh. I'm Shin Ahri, trainee at Happyface Entertainment. I'm also a vocalist and I hope you'll support me." Her voice is soft, but still audible despite losing volume towards the end of her sentence.

Realizing she won't say anything else, Doyeol bids the women farewell and continues to the final room.

  

The room is full of backup dancers working on the choreography while the three trainees are taking a water break by the back wall. Doyeol makes his way over to them, and the shortest begins waving eagerly.

"Hi Doyeol-ah! Ooh, is that a camera? Are we starting to film?" Her eyes light up as she speaks.

"Sort of. I just need you three to introduce yourselves to the audience-"

"I'll go first!" The same girl interrupts the interviewer and promptely culldozes on into her introduction. "I'm Kang Kaerin! I'm a singer!"

"And what company you're from." Doyeol prompts.

She nods, nothing but enjoyment on her features dsepite the slip-up. "I'm from H2 Media. I actually only just started there a few months ago, so I'm really excited to have been chosen for the show! I can't wait to show you guys our performance, I'm learning to dance!"

"You just stand there and make hand motions sometimes Kae." The rapper points out wryly, but she's smiling. She pauses, glances to the camera, and smiles. "Oh, I guess I'll go next then. I'm Choi Aerin from Simtong Entertainment, though most of my training was at YG. So you better watch out for me, I'm the best rapper here."

"Oh good, I was worried about my Christmas gifts looking bad!" The third girl suddenly pipes up. She sounds rather deadpan, and the other two give her confused looks. "You know, wrapper? Like wrapping paper?" She looks around for a moment an then sighs. "Okay."

Doyeol clears his throat. "So would you...?"

She looks confused for a moment before speaking again. "Oh right. I'm Yang Jakyung from Soulstice Entertainment. Hopefully some of you have better senses of humor."

"Unnie, only Natchaya-unnie thinks you're funny, and she's got a few screws loose." Aerin points out with no small amount of amusement, and Kaerin giggles.

The clip ends there and the scene shifts back to find the hosts standing on the main stage, smiling as the audience cheers on cue.

"Alright, we seem to have quite a colorful cast don't we? I'll look forward to learning more about them during the show!" Gyujin pauses briefly for applause before Hyomin takes over.

"However a show is not completely without judges to host it. And for a truly great show you want judges who know what they're doing. So tonight our three judges for the show have prepared performances for us to show what they're capable of, and what they'll be expecting from the contestants. Up first is our rap judge, Kang Inho!"

The audience cheers as the lights go out and the hosts make their exit. The audience slowly falls silent as nothing happens for a long moment, and people being looking around in confusion before the music slowly begins and lights under the stage begin glowing, as soft as the music playing.

By the end of the rap most of the audience is fully into it, and the camera shows several people shouting "I am!" when Inho holds out his microphone. The lights come up fully once the performance is over and a few of the female audience members shout appreciation when they're able to properly see him.

He grins. "Don't be fooled ladies, one can rap and be attractive."

There are more shouts of excitement at the teasing, but he quickly grows serious. "Now, for anyone familiar with the underground you should know me. I did some great things there a few years back, though I've recently taken a more stable job as a composer and lyricist. But I hope that performance convices you that I know how rapping is supposed to sound?" He lets the audience shout their agreement before continuing on.

"Now there aren't many rappers among the contestants, but for those who are I'll be judging based on originality and emotion. Rapping is far more than fast talking, there's a rhythm and flow to it. Most importantly I want to see your voice. Truly great rappers create their own style, something uniqe to them, and if you want to impress me you'll have to show me that you can do that."

Several people again call their agreement and he nods appreciatively.

"Now, I've said my piece so I'll hand the stage over to the next judge. You may know her as the choreographer for several well-known songs, most recently she appeared on another survival show Twenty-One." A few audience members cheer. "Without further ado, I present Lee Hyunmi!"

During his talk segment several staff members had set the stage with a few platforms and chairs. The lights go out the moment Inho exits the stage.

Everyone laughs when Gyujin is revealed to be the man in the chair, and Hyunmi smiles warmly and bows a few more times as the applause carries on. Finally it's quiet enough for her to begin talking.

"As Inho said I'm no stranger to this industry, and even before becoming a choreographer almost twenty years ago I had years of dance lessons. Dancing is an art with many forms, and none is superior to the other. However one vital element of any form is teamwork. No one piece should stand out more than a story calls for, and that will be a very important factor in my judging of this show. Not all dancers are trained equally, but that does not mean you ignore those less talented. Groups that can best work together to create an enjoyable visual performance will be what I'm looking for, rather than individual skill." She pauses to take a breath. "And now for our final performance of the evening, I'd like to present our vocal judge Yoo Iseul. I'd say more, but I feel her voice will speak for itself."

Once Hyunmi has exited, Iseul walks on in a gorgeou dress. She smiles warmly to the audience as the music begins. At first things seem like any other solo, until she begins to sing.

The whole auditorium is on it's feet when she finishes, a full-house standing ovation, and she laughs and bows repeatedly, wiping away a few tears as she does. Finally it calms enough that she can be heard.

"Thank you! Thank you so much! Singing is a huge part of my life, and I'm so happy to be here to help these young girls find their full potential!" She waves to the audience again.

"Singing is about more than just sounding good though. It's about feeling what you're singing, and making your listeners feel it too. A truly phenomenal vocalist, which is not something I claim to be, is someone who can marry technique and emotion in a performance. More importantly, to be a truly great singer you must understand your own weaknesses, and I hope to help these contestants to find and conquer their problems so when they leave this show every one of them could create that performance!"

She gets another round of cheers, and she smiles and waves some more before making her way off the stage, carrying her dress in one hand.

The hosts walk onstage once she's departed, applauding along with the audience.

Gyujin speaks first. "Well I have to say, if I was a vocal contestant I'd be scared out of my mind right now having to live up to that performance!"

The camera shows Iseul offstage as she laughs at his comment.

Hyomin takes over as her co-host gets caught up laughing and interactin with the fans closest to the stage.

"That's our show for tonight, and remember to tune in to Vs, airing at this same time next week. We'll be putting these girls to the test to see who comes out on top to win a debut. Good luck to them all, and good night!"

Author's note

That was't even Iseul's original performance, I wanted to use the Lean On Me cover Sohyang did for Immortal Song 2 (which I reccommend, it's amazing). So yeah, there are our contestants and their judges! Who are you rooting for? Are you excited for the first offical episode next week?

Special shoutout to the amazing Viollium for the gorgeous icons that I'll be using throughout the show <3

Also if your character was not chosen and you'd like to know why, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to explain why your character didn't make the cut ^^