Wandering Melody

\/s ↮ A Female Survival Program
↮\/s↮
Episode Four

The logo flickers by faster than in previous episodes, and it explodes into utter chaos.

"There were two eliminations?"

Jina is standing stunned in the middle of the theatre while a majority of the rest of the girls talk over each other in an incoherent mess of sound.

Hyomin, Gyujin, and the judges watch the contestants quietly, though after a moment Hyomin clearly becomes impatient and clears .

It isn't loud, but it's clear the contestants have learned to respect when the host is irritated as they all quiet down and turn to her, though their nervous tension still saturates the air around them.

"Yes, there were two eliminations this round. There were some technicalities with the voting. Now, Hyojin, Jina, please take your leave, the remaining contestants have a challenge to begin."

Hyojin moves numbly towards the exit, but all at once things seem to catch up with Jina and the girl bursts into tears.

Natchaya awkwardly shifts away from the bawling girl, and Hyomin makes a slight face.

"Doyeol, could you?"

The interviewer appears in the camera's frame, his own camera slung over his shoulder. He gently steers Jina out of the room, looking vaguely uncomfortable as he goes.

Once they've left, Hyomin reclaims attention with a simple wave of her hand.

"Now then, we'll rearrange the groups in a moment. This week's challenge is 'Wandering Melody'. Your creativity with the previous challenge was a step up from the first one, and I expect to see that continued."

Hyomin then waves the judges forward and takes her leave, Gyujin following behind with a little wave to the contestants as he goes.

Iseul wastes no time announcing her changes to the lineups.

"Ahri, your performance just now shows me that you have a lot of potential. While you're not the best singer on the show, you will be moving up to Group A."

Ahri looks over at Yeeun with a smile, and the older contestant grins in return.

"Yoonhee and Kyungmi, you both showed decent stability during your last performance, and I appreciate the enthusiasm you had to take time to attend my practice despite being dance focused contestants. As such you'll both be in Group B this round."

Yoonhee's eyes light up and Kyungmi nearly shrieks in excitement as she spins her friend in a circle in celebration.

"Natchaya, while you definitely showed some improvement, overall you didn't live up to what I'd expected from you when moving you to Group B last time. As such you're back in Group C."

Natchaya frowns angrily and starts to retort, but Iseul cuts her off before she can begin.

"And Jakyung. While you're quite talented, and you do seem open to learning, during the lessons you seemed to be putting in the least amount of effort. As such you'll be in Group B this round."

"Sounds good." Jakyung stays relaxed as always. "I've heard that's the place to B!"

Nachaya snickers along with Jakyung, while Iseul just sighs.

"And lastly, Hiroko. You didn't even bother to show up for the practice. As such you're being demoted to Group B."

"What?" Hiroko begins complaining almost immediately. "But I'm easily one of hte best vocalists! How is it fair to put less talented poeple in the higher group and more talented people in the lower ones?"

"Would you like a straw?" Jakyung suddenly pipes up, barely suppressing her laughter.

Hiroko stares at her. "What?"

"So you can it up!"

Natchaya bursts into laughter, and even a few other girls snicker as well. Inho sighs.

"Anyway, I've got a few shifts to make as well so if you'll stop complaining and let me do my job." He interrupts impatiently.

The girls quiet down, though Hiroko still looks angry.

"Alright, I'll start at the top. Shisae, you did an excellent job creating your own rap for the performance, and you brought an energy with you that is expected from rappers today, so you'll be in Group A."

Shisae nods.

"Aerin."

She winces.

"Your performance was something I'd expect from a YG trainee."

She grits her teeth, the tell-tale signs of tears starting up, but then Inho continues.

"However you came to the lesson, and it's clear you did in fact try to do something else. I don't expect you to magically change your entire style in just a few months. But I expect you to try, and you did. As such you'll be in Group A this round. Congratulations."

Aerin is crying, but the look of stunned happiness on her face shows they're not the same tears she'd been shedding before.

"Lastly we have someone from Group C moving up."

Olivia perks up hopefully.

"Eugene. While not impressive per se, you had a steady rythm and decent breath control during your song. You'll be with Group B."

Eugene stares in genuine surprise at the rap judge as Minah throws an arm around her in excitement.

Olivia's face falls, but she says nothing.

Inho nods to Hyunmi.

The dance judge takes a moment, clearly debating what she wants to say.

"I'm only making one change. Kaerin."

The singer looks startled. Up to this point she's been staring at the floor, pale as a ghost and fidgeting. Now she looks up at Hyunmi.

"You are easily the worst dancer among all the contestants, and have been from the beginning. But I've seen nothing on your part attempting to improve yourself in this capacity. As such I'm moving you down to Group B. I want to see you focus on something new this time."

Kaerin just nods mutely, not seeming to fully process the words. Minah, who's standing next to her, pats her shoulder comfortingly and gets a shaky smile in response.

The scene shifts to an interview with Kaerin.

"It was my fault wasn't it?" Her voice is shaky, though she's not crying. "I didn't vote and then there was a tie and both of them had to leave."

"I mean, it might not have been you..." Doyeol sounds distinctly awkward as he replies.

Kaerin bursts into tears.

Back in the theatre area, the girls gather in their new groups and are led out of the room by the judges.

Doyeol and his camera follow Iseul with Group A.

"Hey, isn't the practice room the other way?" Aerin speaks up first, glancing over her shoulder with a frown.

Iseuls smiles. "Nope."

The scene switches to an interview with Hyomin. "We're switching up the practice areas for this challenge." She explains. "We thought a change of scenery might be motivating."

The scene cuts to show Group C, who aren't even in the building anymore.

   

 

"Where are we going?" Olivia sounds annoyed as she tails directly behind Inho. "The practice rooms are inside the building, and it's cold out here!"

"It's not that bad, and a walk around the place could be nice!" Minah says in an attempt to calm the other girl down.

Olivia just grumbles and pulls her jacket closer around her shoulders. "Oh hush up cheersquad." She grumbles.

Minah starts. "What?"

Olivia doesn't answer, so Miyeon responds instead.

"I'm sure Olivia is just being Olivia, Minah, don't worry about it."

Minah glances at her friend. "Yeah, I guess. I never told her I was a cheerleader though."

Jiwon looks over. "You were a cheerleader?" Her eyes dart over Minah's figure for a moment before she clears . "Ever do any of the choreography for that?"

Minah looks torn between whether to be insulted or to just answer. She settles on the latter. "Well, sometimes. Usually with other people though. Why?"

Jiwon looks forward again. "I have some ideas for the challenge. Having someone who can choreograph would be helpful for them."

Minah looks curious, though next to her Miyeon has more reservations.

"Let's not make any decisions yet. Let everyone make suggestions." She suggests.

Jiwon shrugs. "If you'd like. I simply thought it prudent to plan ahead so we can use the full time to our advantage." She hesitates, and then adds, "And perhaps get some sleep. I haven't had more than a few hours in the past couple of weeks."

For a moment Miyeon looks at Jiwon almost empathetically, before she sighs. "Alright fine. What's this plan of yours?"

The scene then cuts back to Group A, who are gazing around a large theatre in wonder.

     

"We get to rehearse here? This is basically the same as the main stage we perform on!" Aerin exclaims, walking past Iseul to properly look around the area.

Yeeun and Shisae both look a bit put out, but Ahri seems just as overwhelmed as Aerin as she looks around with wide eyes.

"Is... is it fair for us to rehearse here?" She asks hesitantly.

Iseul shrugs. "Does it matter? Everyone gets to rehearse wherever they are. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth I always say."

The girls share a look, before Yeeun shrugs and steers the conversation back towards the main topic. "Alright so what do you guys think about the challenge topic?"

Shisae frowns thoughtfully, though she doesn't speak.

"Wandering Melody is a pretty weird one. Nothing immediately comes to mind." Aerin muses aloud, crossing her arms so one of her fingers ends up lightly tapping on her forearm.

Yeeun is lost in thought as well, eyes unfocused as she contemplates.

Ahri however, looks like she might have an idea. Her eyes flit around the group as she twists her fingers together nervously, chewing on her lip slightly before finally taking a breath and raising her hand.

It takes a moment for Shisae to notice her, and even longer for Yeeun to.

Once she does, the oldest contestant startles. "Sorry Ahri, you had an idea?"

"Um, maybe we could do an old song? Like, a really old song. Like something rom the past wandered into the present? Or something." She trails off at the end, looking at her feet and blushing under the attention.

Yeeun looks thoughtful. "Yeah, that could definitely work. If no one else has idea let's go with that one."

Aerin opens to protest but Yeeun is already brainstorming potential song choices, and the rapper ultimately sighs and joins the circle the others have formed on the ground and tosses in her own ideas.

The scene shifts to an interview with Aerin.

"I mean I had an idea. But Yeeun seems to like Ahri, and honestly she's so quiet I guess I didn't want to take away from her speaking up. I mean I room with her and I don't think I've heard her say more than five words."

"Ahri you mean?"

"Yeah."

"So you're okay with not getting to say your idea?"

Doyeol's question has Aerin glancing away from the camera as she responds.

"I mean yeah. Why not."

"I mean if she had an idea she could have spoken up." Yeeun looks confused in her interview. "We would have listened. It just didn't seem like anyone else had anything to say and it's best to start working as quickly as possible."

"Maybe you made it feel like she couldn't say anything?" Doyeol suggests.

Yeeun frowns. "Well I didn't mean to."

   

   

The scene cutes briefly to Group B. They're in their usual room, and apparently there's already a disagreement breaking out.

"GFriend are the best dancers in the industry in terms of girls, and most of us are dancers. We'd be stupid to not use them!" Hiroko is insisting.

Surprisingly it's Yoonhee who retorts back. "But not all of us are! We should try and find a song that Kaerin-unnie, Eugene and Jakyung-unnie can all dance to as well." Her voice isn't argumentative in tone, but more worried.

Jakyung smiles lazily. "I can learn if you guys really want to do GFriend."

"Me too." Kaerin cuts off Jakyung before the older contestants can break out a pun for the occasion, though she doesn't seem to realize it. Her eyes are on the ground, but her posture is one of intense determination.

Eugene looks nervous, and simply shrugs when Yoonhee looks over at her worriedly.

Hiroko nods. "Alright then, it's decided. Now let's get to work."


The opening screen is an unfocused shot of the exterior of the Arirang building. White lettering reveals it's the day before the performances, at eight in the morning.

Group C walks out of the building a moment after the numbers fade and the image clarifies.

"Urgh, is it even colder today?" Olivia groans, pulling her jacket closer around her shoulders.

"It's early, so it'll warm up. Plus we'll warm up naturally once we start rehearsing." Miyeon grumbles in reply.

The other three remain silent. Even Natchaya doesn't have anything snarky to add as she trudges along with the others, eyes still heavy with sleep.

The five travel in silence to a nearby park, where they set up the speaker system they'd been carrying and start stretching.

"I still can't believe we've had to practice outside all week. How are none of the rest of you mad about this?" Olivia speaks once more.

Miyeon rolls her eyes. "Because we have better things to be focusing on. Namely practicing so that we can get out of this group and not have to rehearse outside next time." From the annoyance in her voice it's clear this exact conversation has likely played out several times over the week.

Olivia grumbles something under her breath, and Miyeon's eyes widen as she snaps her head towards the other girl. She frowns, but says nothing and continues to warm up in silence. Olivia smirks.

Minah eyes the two nervously. "Okay, well, why don't we get started with practice then! We did pretty well yesterday."

"If you call Jiwon and Olivia missing their steps eighty percent of the time pretty well, then absolutely." Natchaya seems to have finally woken up, and she glances snidely over at Jiwon as she speaks, though Olivia looks more insulted by her words than the quiet contestant.

"That isn't fair, you screw up plenty yourself!" Olivia retorts.

"Not as badly as you do!"

Minah deflates and glances over at Miyeon, clearly hopeful the other girl will interfere.

Miyeon hesitates slightly before clearing . "Hey guys, come on. We're all working hard here, arguing now won't do anything."

Olivia looks like she wants to retort, but she reconsiders and blows out an annoyed huff, which mists in the cool air. "Fine, let's practice then."

As the girls turn on their music, the camera zooms out.

Two figures stand just out of sight of the group, watching them. One is easy to indentify as Hyunmi by her short blonde hair, but the other, younger girl is an unknown.

"Their teamwork isn't exactly encouraging." The girl notes, eyebrow raised skeptically.

"Well then it's an extra challenge." Hyunmi shrugs.

The girl glances at the group again, just as Olivia trips over her own feet and falls on her rear, swaering shortly afterwards while Natchaya laughs.

The girls frowns. "I guess so."

The screen switches then to show Group B. Hiroko is nowhere to be seen, but the other five are very slowly walking through the dance for Rough.

Ahri, Yeeun, Yoonhee, and Kyungmi are mostly stable, but Kaerin is clearly still struggling to follow along. While she mostly gets the moves themselves, she's either off beat or clearly scrambling to remember where to go next.

Kyungmi takes pity on the fractic girl after a few minutes and cals for a water break.

Kaerin loks despondent as she sits down.

"I'm sorry."

Kyungmi shakes her head at Kaerin's apology. "Don't be. You know the moves Kaerin, you're just over thinking them. Relax and trust your muscle memory, I promise you'll do fine." She smiles encouragingly, and Kaerin attempts to give one back, though it fade after a moment.

"I just don't want to get someone eliminated again." She mumbles.

Kyungmi looks over at Yoonhee, who shrugs helplessly.

The scene cuts to an interview with Yoonhee.

"She keeps saying the double elimination is her fault. I mean, it's everyone's fault though? We all voted for someone. I just don't know what to say when she brings it up." She shifts uncomfortably in her seat.

In another interview Kyungmi sighs. "I want to help somehow, but what can I really say? I mean, what do you say to that?" She seems genuinely distressed.

Back in the room, the girls have started practicing again, and Kaerin seems to be doing better, though she's still clearly nervous. The dance is interrupted when Hiroko walks in.

"Okay I negotiated a time for us to record." She announaces after pausing the music.

Yoonhee frowns. "I still don't like this. We should sing live."

"And you can if you want to, but I'm sure some poeple here would be happy to just focus on the very hard dance that we're doing." Hiroko points out, surprisingly gentle.

Kaerin looks ashamed, while Yoonhee is more accepting of the explanation, nodding quietly and giving somewhat of a smile.

"That said maybe you should try to sing at least a little bit live. I'm pretty sure Group B lost last round speciically because of their lip syncing." Hiroko adds, almost as an after thought, to Kaerin, who proceeds to look even more miserable.

"I'm trying! But dancing is really hard and I've never done it before this!" Kaerin sounds defensive in her interview.

"Then why agree to such a difficult dance?" Doyeol asks.

Kaerin slumps in her chair. "I just didn't want to be a burden..."

Hiroko is also defensive in her interview. "Look, I've already been through the elimination process once. It's not fun. And anyway, if Kaerin wants to survive this she needs to push herself more. I'm just trying to help her out."

The screen returns to the practice room then. It then slowly divides into a split screen, showing both Group B and C as they practice. Both groups look exhausted, but keep pushing until the screen announces it's 9 at night.

Group C's side of the screen expands as the girls pack up their speakers and turn on their phone lights.

"Well, I guess that's all we can do for tonight." Minah seems to be speaking just to fill the silence between the five girls. No one replies.

They've barely made it to the main building when they're greeted by the hosts. With Hyomin and Gyujin are the ladies of group B, as well as the mystery girl from earlier.

Olivia notices the newcomer immediately. "Who's she?"

"She's here to even the teams." Hyomin replies cryptically. "Questions later, back outside and into the vans!"

The confused contestants are herded back outside, where two vans are waiting for them. Gyujin takes Group B in one and Hyomin takes Group C in the other, along with the new girl.

In Group C's van there's a tense silence. Both Miyeon and Olivia are eying the new girl, with caution and hostility respectively, and Minah looks like she's bracing herself to interfere if one of them tries to start something. Natchaya looks highly amused by the situation, but Jiwon's careful gaze on her seems to stop her from trying anything.

The Group B van is much more lively, with Yoonhee, Kyungmi, and Kaerin chattering away in the backseat, Eugene and Jakyung conversing in the middle row, and Hiroko sitting in the front with Gyujin, where the dancer is entertaining the host with stories from their practice.

The vans arrive outside an innocuous building a few minutes away from the main building. The girls file out and follow Hyomin into the building, which the host unlocks herself.

Minah lets out a sound of exictement upon entering, a close up of the girl showing her face light up in excitement before it zooms out and pans around to show a huge gymnastics center, complete with several bars, balance beams, and a large pit full of foam cubes.

"I want to do flips off the horse vault so badly right now." Minah is practically squealing in her excitement.

Miyeon looks over, an amused look on her face. "You are in heaven right now aren't you?"

"I haven't been in a place like this since graduating high school! So like, a year ago but that's weird for me since before that I was in here every day after school."

Hyomin ignores the mini drama playing out behind her and heads straight for a line of trampolines against one of the walls. Once the contestants stop gawking they quickly follow her.

"Now then, I've brought you here today to give you a chance to pass on this challenge."

Hiroko frowns. "Pass on?"

"Skip." Hyomin carifies. "If you choose to accept, and win, I'll give your team a free pass to the next round."

Hiroko glances over at Kaerin before speaking. "We accept. What do we have to do?"

Hyomin holds up a hand and looks over at Group C.

Miyeon looks at the others. "Guys?"

Natchaya shrugs. "I just want to play in that foam pit honestly. I'm down with whatever if that's part of the deal."

"I'm up for it! A little competition is always enjoyable." Minah smiles brightly.

Olivia looks over at Hiroko, a little more heistant, but finally she nods. "Yeah I'm up for it."

Jiwon nods silently, and Miyeon looks back to Hyomin.

"I guess we're in as well." She says.

The host nods. "Excellent, then we'll begin. The task is simple enough: you need to make a human pyramid."

Hiroko starts to interrupt, but Hyomin continues.

"To make things fair, Hoon here will be joining Group C to ensure both groups are working with the same number of people."

The new girl, who to this point has been silently standing behind Hyomin, now moves to join with Group C. Minah smiles at her, but the others seem a little less enthusiastic about the addition.

"And one more thing - the pyramid is to be built on these trampolines. First Group to succeed before the performances start wins."

The girls erupt, but the host pays no mind as she takes her leave with a simple "Good luck."

The groups calm down shortly after that and immediately get to work.

"Okay who's the heaviest? They should be the base." Hiroko takes immediately control of her group.

"I can take bottom middle." Minah seems to have been made default leader of Group C. "That position takes the most weight and I'm trained for it." She looks around at the group for a moment. "Jiwon, do you think you could take top? You're the smallest of us."

Jiwon nods mutely.

"Yoonhee you're on top since you're small." Hiroko instructs.

Yoonhee looks nervous, but she swallows and nods. "Okay."

The camera zooms into a split screen as the girls make their first attempts.

Minah, Miyeon, and the new girl Hoon take spots as the base for Group C, while Hiroko, Kaerin, and Kyungmi are the base for B.

Group C gets their second level to stabalize, but when Jiwon starts her run to get on top they tumble. Minah quickly checks everyone is alright before she pulls them into a huddle.

Group B doesn't even get their second level up before crashing down. Hiroko runs a hand through her hair and tells Kaerin and Jakyung to switch places.

Group B makes another attempt while Group C is still huddled. They get their second level this time, but Yoonhee shies away before making the jump.

"I'm sorry! I can't do it, I'm scared I'll hurt you!" She apologizes, bowing low repeatedly.

Hiroko sighs. "Okay, Eugene, you do it."

"I'd rather stay where I am." The other girl replies immediately.

Hiroko looks startled, but she nods. "Fine, Kaerin then."

Kaerin's eyes widen, but she nods slowly. "Alright, I can do that." She sounds determined.

Both groups make several more attempts, each ending in a pile of bodies. Group C continues to change their approach, though their formation stays the same, while Group B changes their formation regularly.

Finally the screen slow down to real time. Both groups set up their bases, then Kaerin and Jiwon take their running starts.

The screen goes dark, and cheers start up - only to be cut off by a shriek of pain.


The interview is with Gyujin.

"I told her it would be dangerous, but you know Hyomin-ah. We're lucky it wasn't anything worse than a buised wrist. More than that we're lucky she's being such a good sport about it." The co-host sighs heavily. "Still, I'm worried about the performances."

The screen rewinds to the final scene from before the break. This time we see Jiwon stick her landing perfectly.

Kaerin however, misses her jump and hits the edge of the trampoline.

Group C starts to celebrate their victory before Kaerin seems to register the pain of her fall and cries out. Immediately everyone is scrambling to their feet to check on the contestant, other than Hoon, who stands awkwardly to the side.

"Kae-unnie! Are you okay? What happened?" Yoonhee frets loudly, flailing around and being generally unhelpful in her panic.

Minah snaps out of shock first and turns to Gyujin.

"There should be an emergency first aid kit near the entrance, can you go get it?"

The co-host nods worriedly and hurries to the door. Minah then moves everyone out of the way so she can get to Kaerin.

The singer is cradling her wrist close to her chest. Minah speaks to her gently.

"Hey, Kaerin? Can I see your wrist? I promise I won't touch, okay?"

Miyeon is watching Minah with surprise, and looking slightly lost as what to do. When Gyujin returns with the kit, she quickly takes it from the frantic man.

"I'll help Minah, she seems to know what she's doing. Maybe you should call Hyomin-unnie?" She suggests.

He nods, quickly pulling out his cellphone while Miyeon makes her way over to Minah.

"How's the patient doc?" She says it lightly, smiling at Kaerin encouragingly.

Kaerin smiles weakly back. Her wrist is turning an ugly shade of blue grey and there's clear swelling already.

Minah smiles up at Miyeon. "It's just bruising as far as I can tell now. She can still move it and the swelling isn't as rapid as it would be for a sprain." She grins over at Kaerin as she accepts the first aid kit from Miyeon.

While the three are working the rest of the girls move off of the trampolines onto solid ground.

Natchaya clears . "So... we won? Is that a thing?"

Hiroko glares at her. "Our teammate is injured, I'm pretty sure that means you forfeit."

"But we did accopmlish the objective." Surprisingly Jiwon backs Natchaya up. "We were risking as much as you were, the fall could have happened to anyone. But ultimately it's going to be the management's decision whether this affects the challenge or not."

That puts an end to any further arguments, and the group falls silent.

The scene briefly cuts to Gyujin and Hoon. The host hangs up his cell, looking frazzled, and Hoon clears to get his attention.

"Sir? What should I do now?"

"What?" Gyujin seems surprised to see Hoon. "Oh, gosh, right, you probably have to get back to training. Um, Iseul and Doyeol are on their way so I guess I can drive you back to LOEN once they're here."

Hoon nods quietly.

"I need to talk to the girls." Gyujin's words are mostly mumbled, likely to himself. He passes Hoon and walks back to where the contestants are waiting.

Minah looks up at his approach. She's wrapping Kaerin's wrist with a long bandage, seeming to be quiet professional with it.

"She's fine sir, it's just bruising." She reports as cheerfully as possible.

Kaerin speaks up as well, clearly having calmed down. "I can still perform Mr. Gyujin! Really, it was more the shock than any real pain."

Gyujin's eyes are unreadable as he nods. "Alright then. Hyomin has said that since they did achieve the objective, Group C is off the hook. You have the rest of the day to yourselves. Group B, you're to report back to your practice room to rehearse until the peformance starts."

Hiroko looks like she wants to protest, but every other member of Group B nods or gives a verbal affirmative before she can.

Natchaya grins at Group C while the other contestants start to exit. "So. Who wants to play in the foam pit?"

The scene changes to show the Arirang theatre. A time stamp reveals that the performances are about to begin, though the excited audience and the presence of the hosts and judges are equally indicative of that fact.

The crowd is larger than it has been previously, and Hyomin actually looks pleased for once as she stands to make her usual introductions.

"Today we only have two performances for you, but I've been informed they're quite impressive, so we hope you'll enjoy! So without further ado, let's begin."

The host takes her seat and Group B enter the stage. The camera focuses on Kaerin's wrapped hand, but the singer herself doesn't look uncomfortable.


Kyungmi - SinB;Shoulder-length hair, Kaerin - Yuju;Injured Hand, Hiroko - Eunha;Short Hair, Eugene - Sowon;Hairband, Yoonhee - Umji;Long Brwon Hair, Jakyung - Yerin;Hair Clip

During the dance, Kaerin makes several missteps but she steels herself and continues the dance stubbornly. Eugene stumbles some as well, though she's better at covering for herself.

Hyomin waits for the applause to die down before she speaks.

"I'm curious as to how you think you achieved this week's challenge." She looks straight to Hiroko, who smoothly responds.

"Well, we started on one song, and then the melody wandered over to another. Simple as that."

Hyomin nods and gestures to Iseul to go ahead with her critiques, giving no indication how she feels about the explanation.

Iseul launches straight into her thoughts. "Honestly I'm pleasantly surprised with this performance. Normally lip syncing is annoying, but you mixed it with your live sections quite nicely. My one nitpick in that area is for Hiroko. As one of the better dancers I would expect your breath control to be better than the others', but your live high notes were off key every time. Don't do them if you can't make them at least sound somewhat nice."

"Weren't you the one getting mad at Group B for lip syncing last time?" Hiroko is clearly trying to keep her anger in check as she challenges Isuel's words.

"I disliked how badly it was done. Lip syncing is part of the deal with idol life, every major group lip syncs. The key is making it seem like you aren't, and that comes from choosing your live sections carefully. Don't sing parts that you sound bad on while dancing." Iseul presents her argument calmly, but Hiroko doesn't look happy with it.

However she merely nods and looks over at Hyunmi.

Inho however is the next to speak. "Eugene, as nice as your two seconds of singing were, I wanted to see you rapping. It's why I moved you up." He sounds genuinely dissapointed, and Eugene bows her head in apology.

Inho sighs and waves for Hyunmi to go ahead with her critiques.

The dance instructor looks over her notes once before closing the notebook and looking up to the stage.

"Why GFriend?" The question is simple, and she directs it straight to Kaerin.

However, Hiroko answers. "Well for one thing their songs are very easy to cut together, and since we wanted to combine songs to fit the theme but didn't have anyone particularly talented with doing that in the group we had to choose songs that meshed well."

"They didn't have to be from the same group, and even if that was part of your planning there are lots of groups with songs that sound similar." Hyunmi replies evenly. "So why choose a song with such an intense dance that five of you could barely keep up with it?"

Yoonhee and Kyungmi look surprised and ashamed to be included in Hyunmi's eye-sweep indicating which five she's talking about.

"While not all members of GFriend are amazing dancers, their dances are complex, and learning them in just a week isn't something that most people could do, nonetheless someone with zero prior dancing experience." Hyunmi continues. "Overall this was a poor choice of performance and was clearly made by one person not thinking about the overall product."

It cuts then to an interview with Hiroko. "They're all against me! This is ridiculous!" She rants angrily. "I just want everyone to push themselves to be the best they can, and I'm the bad guy?"

Back at the performances, Group B is dismissed. The audience waits for Group A to enter, but instead the lights go dark.


Ahri - Gayoon;Blonde Streak, Yeeun - Jihyun;Ponytail, Shisae - Hyuna;Orange Hair, Aerin - Jiyoon;Short Hair

The cheers for Group A are almost exactly as loud as they were for Group B, and Hyomin has to wait for them to die down before she can speak.

"Now, how do you think you met the challenge this week?" She doesn't sound particularly excited to hear the response.

Yeeun looks over at Ahri, who waves for her to talk. "Well, there are a couple things since we couldn't pick just one." She explains, before nodding to Aerin to continue.

The rapper grins. "For one we did a male song in a higher register, like it had wandered up the scale."

"One could also see our use of two songs to be similar to what Group B did as well." Shisae continues quietly.

Ahri finishes the thought. "But the main concept was that a song from way back at the begining of KPop had wandered into present day." She looks both nervous and proud of the explanation she's given.

Hyomin nods. "Very well." She sits down without another word, signaling the start of the critiques.

Inho immediately starts off. "I was thankful for there actually being rapping. I was less thankful that both of you could have done better. Shisae, I don't know if it's because you did some singing, but your rapping had more of a vocalist's flow than a real rap flow for parts, which overall took away from your performance. Aerin I know you're still trying to find your own style, but that won't come from doing minimal and highly basic raps. I'm glad you're at least thinking about it now, but I want to see you try and fail. That's how you learn."

Aerin nods, teary but not completely crying for once.

Iseul speaks up next. "The singing was... fine, bt I had hoped for more from Yeeun and Ahri specificaly. Ahri you have a tendency to get too airy in your higher registers, and Yeeun you lacked power just over all." She grins. "It's probaby not helping you that I love the two songs you chose, but they're supposed to have more of a manly power behind them and I just didn't get that from any of you."

"Well we are women, not men." Yeeun points out.

Iseul waves her hand. "Oh there's no difference, you can still sing their song properly."

A few audence members give Iseul critical looks, but she ignores them and nods to Hyunmi, signalling the end of her thoughts.

"What about our singing?" Aerin pipes up, looking upset.

Iseul blinks. "Well it's obvious you're not singers. Just stick to rapping next time is really all I have to say for you and Shisae."

Now Aerin is crying, though quietly.

Hyunmi shrugs. "Shinhwa's dances in the past weren't very difficult, though they've definitely taken steps in recent years. As such there isn't much to say about the dancing. It was very basic, but you executed it well enough."

The girls nod. When it's clear Hyunmi has nothing more to say Group B reenters the stage and the ten contestants wave to the audience as the camera pans over them.

The credit start to roll, but instead of the screen going black it shows Group C back in the gymnastics building.

Natchaya leaps off a horse vault and cannonballs into the foam pit. She then struggles back towards the edge, falling over and getting buried in the foam cubes over and over again, laughing loudly at herself.

Miyeon and Olivia are both on the trampolines. Olivia is having fun trying to jump from one trampoline over to an adjacent ones while Miyeon seems to be cautioning her, though Miyeon is also bouncing on her own trampoline, purposefully falling backwards a few times and grinning.

Jiwon is trying her hand at balancing on the lower bars, simultaenously watching Minah as the oldest does a series of cheer flips across the open areas of the floor.

Off to the side, watching all five girls as they play, is Doyeol, who looks like he's regretting everything.

"I'm not paid enough for this." He sighs as the credits end and the screen finally goes dark.

Author's note

I had no idea how to end this - how obvious was it? OTL For anyone who's curious, this was Group C's performance that they didn't do since they got to play instead!

I'm slowly dying over finals but there's only two more weeks and then I'm free! Until January anyway xD I hope my fellow uni students are doing alright with crunch time, and that this chapter maybe provided some well-deserved study break material!

Oh, and don't forget to vote! Hyomin didn't say it this episode, but someone from the losing team will be eliminated as per usual.