Twist

\/s ↮ A Female Survival Program
↮\/s↮
Episode two

The show's logo is shattered to the sound of cheers. The scene cuts between shots of the previous episode, showing the girls' performances, the judges looking dissaproving, and both Aerin and Hyojin tearing up. The stock applause echoes over the images until it's cut off by Hyomin's final words.

"And remember that whichever team loses today will also have a member eliminated."

The scene changes to show an interview with Hyojin, who's sniffing slightly.

"It doesn't seem fair to eliminate someone this early. It's only been one episode, we haven't had a chance to show what we're capable of yet!"

In another interview Hiroko shares her sentiment. "It just seems so abrupt. There was never a mention of an elimination this episode until now."

Jiwon has a different opinion. "It is a survival show. While perhaps a touch unconventional I don't think it's a completely unfathomable situation. I would say I'd like to know how the eliminations will work though, it is a touch unnerving to be going into the first elimination essentially blind."

This is echoed by Miyeon. "It's rough, and I really hope none of my friends is cut so soon, but what can you do? It's about survival, and the sooner that first elimination takes place, the easier it becomes. Harsh but true." She frowns a bit as she finishes speaking, her eyes distant.

The camera view then switches to a pan over the audience as they vote on the performances, also showing the judges and hosts chatting with each other and the contestants waiting onstage.

The scene is sped up and the audience files out of the theatre until only the staff and contestants are left in the room.

The speed returns to normal as the girls watch with apprehension as the hosts tally the votes. Finally Hyomin looks up.

"We'll make this as painless as possible then. Group C."

The eight girls of the group tense, eyes wide.

"You recieved the most votes by far. Congratulations, you're all safe. Hyunmi and Inho will take you to the cafeteria and you may have some dinner before we begin the next challenge."

The eight girls happily follow the dance and rap judges out of the theatre, though a few glance at the others nervously as they leave.

The remaining ten girls stare up at the host as she waits for the door to swing closed behind the winning group.

"Now then," She continues once the click of the door closing has sounded through the theatre, "Groups A and B. It was very close between you two. The second place group won out by only a few votes."

A close up of Aerin shows her knuckles are white as she grips her hands into fists.

"Group B, congratulations. You're safe."

Aerin releases a shaky sigh of relief, and Kyungmi falls to the ground in relief. Jina pokes the dancer with her foot, giggling in excitement.

"Iseul will the five of you to join Group C for lunch." Hyomin's tone makes it clear she expects the group to move quickly.

They comply, though Kyungmi takes a quick moment to smile nervously at Kaerin before exiting completely. Once the door has clicked shut the two judges look at the remaining five women.

1cxoaBj.png  OF13qzw.png  eZi3psX.png

VkkoM6G.png  aYpN4tF.png

"Well. I wasn't expecting the supposed top group to lose the first round, but life is full of surprises." Though Hyomin's tone is neutral, Hyojin and Hiroko both shrivel slightly under the veiled insult.

"So who's out?" Hyojin recovers first. "How is this going to work?"

Hyomin smiles faintly. "That's up to you. We couldn't watch every moment of your rehearsals, so it wouldn't be fair for us to try and judge who did the most or least to contribute to your loss. So the five of you have the next five minutes to discuss and vote for who you're sending home."

All five of the girls look stunned, even Shisae, who up to this point was the least tense of the group.

"But... but that's so mean! I don't want to send anyone home!" Kaerin bursts out, panic clear on her face. She's ignored by Hyomin, though Gyujin does give her a sympathetic look.

"Now then, your five minutes have already started. Better get to debating."

For once, Hiroko and Hyojin don't immediately try to take control. The two look to each other, and then Hyojin nods to Hiroko.

"You can speak first if you like."

Hiroko looks begrudingly appreciative. "Okay, why don't we do a preliminary vote first? Then the people with the most votes can try and defend themselves?"

Everyone nods slowly in agreement, though Kaerin raises her hand a moment later.

"Can I not vote right away? I'll wait to hear what everyone says."

Hyojin nods to her. Hiroko clearly bites back some annoyance, takes a quick breath and then starts.

"I'd vote for Hyojin."

Hyojin rolls her eyes. "And I'd vote for you. No one is surprised by this. Jaelyn?"

The dancer shrugs. "Probably you Hyojin-unnie." She doesn't elaborate and no one asks her too.

Shisae thinks for a moment before casting her fake vote. "Hiroko."

Hiroko frowns. "Okay so that's two for me and two for Hyojin-unnie then. Would you like to defend yourself first?" The offer seems to struggle out of , but Hyojin simply nods.

"Alright then. I know why you two would vote for me, I'm definitely intense. But I just want to create as perfect a final product as possible. Is that really so condemable? Putting in one hundred percent of my effort?"

Shisae is nodding along idly, while Hiroko is looking thoughtful. When it's clear that Hyojin is done speaking, the Japanese woman begins her own defense.

"That's actually a really good point. Hyojin and I clashed a lot during the practice, but it's because we both wanted to put in a hundred percent, and I wanted you guys to do that as well." She pauses, thinking, before looking over at Jaelyn. "But you didn't. You always were taking breaks, and you didn't even learn all your lines in time. I think instead of voting for who we don't like we should be thinking about who we'd want to debut with. And does anyone want a groupmate who's going to cut corners? Groups don't have to get along perfectly, but at least Hyojin and I both genuinely wanted the group to do well."

Jaelyn looks affronted. "So wanting to not kill myself overworking is a bad thing now? I left SM specifically because I didn't want anything handed to me!" She looks around at the other two in the group. "Come on this is ridiculous!"

Kaerin nods uncertainly, but Shisae gives no reaction as she observes the others with a critical eye, clearing processing the new proposition.

Any further discussion is stopped when the hosts return. Gyujin speaks as cheerfully as he can, clearly noting the tension in the room.

"Well that's five minutes! You girls ready to vote?" He smiles brightly, though not even Kaerin can find it in herself to smile back, and his grin drops. "Well then, why don't we start with the oldest. Hyojin?"

The rapper takes a moment to look at Hiroko. The two seem to come to an unspoken agreement, and, taking a deep breath, Hyojin casts her vote.

"Jaelyn."

The dancer's eyes widen and she looks over at Hiroko accusingly. The Japanese girl resolutely refuses to meet her youngest group member's eyes.

Shisae doesn't hesitate when she votes. "Jaelyn as well."

The dancer's eyes snap in shock and betrayal to the woman, who isn't afraid to meet the other's eyes.

"Hiroko made an excellent point." She explains, tone neutral.

Jaelyn slumps, starting to tear up even before Hiroko makes the damning vote.

"...Jaelyn for me as well."

Hyomin gives a slightly surprised humming sound. "Well then, that's a majority. Jaelyn, please go with Doyeol back to the dorm to pack your things. Thank you for your participation in our show."

Jaelyn is apparently too stunned to move for a long moment, and it takes Doyeol lightly grabbing her arm to snap her back to reality. She yanks her arm back and storms out, but the camera catches the start of her tears. Doyeol hurries after her, looking annoyed.

The scene shifts to an interview with Kaerin. The teen shuffles nervously as she speaks.

"I'm glad I didn't have to vote, I really don't know who I would have voted for. But... it didn't really feel fair." She shrugs nervously. "I didn't like it."

The next interview is with Hiroko.

"I mean, it probably wasn't totally fair, I can admit that. But the group was divided and Kaerin wasn't going to vote - the kid seems to think the world is made out of marshmallow fluff the way she acts. And I do believe what I said, and I believe Jaelyn would have been voted out eventually. May as well tear off the bandage sooner."

Hyojin seems to feel the same. "Someone who doesn't work as hard doesn't get as much. It's as simple as that. As annoying as she is, Hiroko definitely does work hard, I can admit that much."

The last interview is with Jaelyn herself. She's calmed down some but her eyes are still slightly red.

"I just... one second no one was even thinking about me and then suddenly everyone wants me out? It just... it came out of nowhere and I just..." She shakes her head angrily. "It isn't fair, but I mean, it happened. Can't do anything now. Get back to training. It's your loss really, I haven't even started to show off my amazing dancing." She's shaking slightly, and the scene cuts away before she starts to cry again.

The scene shows the other two groups happily eating dinner and chatting with each other. The three judges are sitting together at one table, talking quietly. Behind them, Miyeon, Minah, Eugene, Yoonhee, and Kyungmi are all sitting together as Miyeon appears to tell a story.

A few tables over Olivia is sitting by herself, though she shares a table with Jakyung, Natchaya, and Jina, the latter two who are laughing loudly at something Jakyung has said. The final table houses Ahri, Aerin, Yeeun, and Jiwon, none of who are speaking with each other but instead are focusing on eating.

The warm atmosphere is shattered, however, when the door swings open and the hosts walk in, followed by the four remaining members of Group A.

The four girls sit down in the nearest open seats they can find, save Kaerin who walks straight over to Miyeon's table and squishes herself between Eugene and Yoonhee.

Hyomin wastes no time getting started. "Alright, lunch is over. Your new challenge begins once the judges have announced the new groups. Some of you will remain where you are, but some of you may have shown them potential they didn't see before - or you may have dissapointed them. Your new challenge is 'Twist'. I expect more variety and creativity for this theme. Now, I'll let our judges take over from here. Good luck." Gyujin follows the other host out, smiling encouragingly at everyone as he goes.

Inho immediately stands up. "Well then, I'll begin. I was dissapointed by every rapper in the last performances honestly, but for Olivia and Eugene I can't send you any lower. Hyojin and Shisae though, you're both in Group B this round."

At the farthest table, Aerin watches him, worry clear in her eyes though she attempts to cover it with her posture.

Inho glances over at her. "Reluctant as I am to say it, you pretty much did the same thing. I can't really say you completely dissapointed me when I didn't expect anything from you to start with. So you're still in Group B for now Aerin. But know that more of the same won't cut it this time."

The rapper tries to hold Inho's gaze, but quickly crumbles and ducks her head down to stare at the table.

Iseul stands next. "I'll only mention the vocalists changing groups. Ahri and Natchaya, you both impressed me during your performance so you'll be in Group B this round. Yeeun and Jakyung, you two are moving up to Group A. Kaerin." She looks pointedly at the younger singer. "I would like to see some more stable singing from you this time. You'll remain in Group A, but you're on thin ice."

Kaerin nods.

Hyunmi then stands as Iseul returns to her seat. "For me, my only change is Kyungmi. You need to better your confidence. For now you'll be joining Group C."

Kyungmi nods. The scene briefly cuts to an interview with her.

"I mean, I kind of expected it. I messed up. I didn't even think I'd make Group B to begin with."

The scene cuts back to Hyunmi. "If your name wasn't mentioned then you're in the same group as last round. Now then. Group C is with me, Group B with Inho, and Group A with Iseul. Your time has already started and your performances are due in seventy two hours."


The screen fades in to show Group C entering the same small practice room they had been in for the previous episode. Hyunmi nods politely to them before leaving.

     

   

As before, Miyeon takes charge.

"Alright a major criticism for everyone last time was a lack of creativity. So let's start by making a list of everything we could possibly think of to fit the theme, okay?" She pulls out her phone. "I'll type it all up and then we'll decide which one we want to do. Sound good?"

Everyone but Olivia nods in agreement, though the rapper doesn't voice any dissent either.

Minah offers an idea first. "Um, maybe like a twist song? Twist & Shout, Hey Mickey, stuff like that? And then the dance could be based around the idea of twisting or something?"

Miyeon types the suggestion into her phone. "That could work. Anyone else?"

Yoonhee looks thoughtful. "Maybe if we take a song everyone knows but then add something totally different into it? Add a dance break or something?"

Miyeon adds the suggestion and then looks around again.

Kyungmi pipes up as well. "What if we did a song no one has ever covered before? One that's not super popular? Maybe not even a title song? You know, do something completely different from anyone's expectations."

Miyeon nods thoughtfully as she types.

"Maybe taking a song and switching it up? Giving it a twist?" The voice doesn't belong to anyone in the room.

The scene then switches to show Group A in the large practice room, where Jakyung is laughing at her own joke. Kaerin is giggling as well, though Yeeun and Hiroko are decidedly less impressed.

     

"That could work though." Hiroko admits as the laughter dies down. "Though do any of you know how to arrange songs? I don't."

"I can help with that." To this point Iseul has not been in the shot, but as the camera zooms out it reveals that she's sitting just outside the circle the four girls are sitting in. "Give me the song and suggestions and I can get you a rough copy in a few hours. Less if I've worked with the song before."

Kaerin perks up. "U-Go-Girl?"

"Oh come on everyone has done that song, can't we be more creative than that?" Hiroko sounds frustrated. "I don't fancy being called unoriginal again."

Kaerin deflates. "Oh. Okay."

Yeeun and Jakyung both look accusingly at Hiroko, who sighs dramatically. "Fine, we can do U-Go-Girl. Have you arranged that one before Iseul-unnie?"

The singer nods. "Naturally, it's the most covered song of this generation it feels like. I'm surprised no one used it for the last challenge."

Hiroko looks even less excited about the song choice at the judge's words, but she seems to have resigned herself to the selection. "Well, let's come up with our twist quickly, so we have time to practice."

The scene shifts to the final group. The six of them are sitting in a circle, all apparently thinking hard save for Natchaya and Jina, who seem to be messing around on the former's phone.

   

   

"We have to come up with more than one idea! We need to be creative!" Aerin is pacing angrily back and forth across the room. Group B's practice room is a bit larger than Group C's, but not as big a Group A's. Aerin's pacing brings her across the room and back in a little under a minute.

"Well we're not having any luck thinking and it's not like we have unlimited time." Hyojin sounds highly exhasperated. "Can you please just accept it so we can move on? Your pacing is making me dizzy."

Aerin stops at the wall furthest from the group huddle, spins on her heel, and stares directly at Hyojin. "Was that the same attitude you had with your last team? Is that why you lost?"

"That's enough Aerin." Shisae's voice is soft but firm, and her eyes meet with those of the younger rapper until Aerin gives in.

"Fine, let's do the stupid idea. But when we lose I better not be blamed."

"We'll only lose if people don't put in their full effort." There's a hint of warning in Hyojin's tone, and Aerin backs down completely, returning to the group and sitting down.

"Fine. What guy groups have three rappers then?"

Natchaya looks up. "Are we finally doing something besides ing?" She grins as the others shoot her looks varying from amusment to annoyance. "Just asking. is all."

The scene shifts to an interview with Jina.

"Natchaya is awesome! I know she's younger than me but she's so fun and sassy and doesn't take from anyone!"

Hyojin has a more reserved opinion. "She's something alright. She works hard but she functions on her own terms. I wouldn't say that she isn't a team player nessecarily but... she's not completely a team player either."

The scene fades back in to show Group C. The've divided into two groups. Minah, Kyungmi, and Yoonhee are on one side of the room, watching a video on Minah's phone and occasionally walking through a few dance moves. On the other side, Miyeon, Jiwon, Olivia, and Eugene have paper printouts. The camera focuses on the foursome.

"Minah said she's alright only having one line so she'll take Sumin's part, but between Yoonhee and Kyungmi, who's the better singer?" Miyeon sounds more like she's thinking aloud than actually asking the questions.

It doesn't stop Jiwon from replying though. "Based on their performances from earlier this week I'd say Kyungmi is likely the more technically proficient vocalist between the two of them."

Miyeon nods thoughtully. "Olivia, Eugene? Input?"

Both girls shrug. "Singing isn't realy my forte." Olivia offers.

Miyeon nods again. "Alright, then we'll give Eunjin's parts to Kyungmi then. And yu two are fine with your parts?" She glances to Olivia and Eugene, both who nod. "Well then why don't you go join those three and work on the dance? Jiwon and I can finish up line distributions."

Olivia looks slightly annoyed but doesn't argue. Eugene smiles a bit awkwardly and nods. "No problem."

The two walk to join the others, leaving Miyeon and Jiwon huddled together over their music sheets.

"So we left the heavy lifting for ourselves. Are we selfish or just better singers?" Miyeon jokes lightly.

Jiwon looks up at her. "We're both highly trained and you're already popular from Produce 101. Making you center makes sense."

"And what about you?"

Jiwon looks back to her sheet music. "I'm just taking whatever is left. Do you want the long note or Minjae's part?"

Miyeon sighs, almost seeming frustrated.

The scene cuts to an interview with the former Produce 101 contestant.

"It's not like I don't like Jiwon, nothing like that. She's just... kind of hard to read I guess. It's unnerving."

When the scene shifts back to a practice room it's Group A's. The four girls seem to be having dissagreements.

"No, the low harmony should be a major third shift down not a minor one. Trust me it'll sound way better." Hiroko is speaking as though to a very young child, and it's clear that Yeeun doesn't appreciate it.

"Look Hiroko, I know you study music in school and all, but I've been training five times longer than you. I know how harmonies sound in practice, not just in theory." The older singer's voice has an underlying sense of warning that Hiroko is apparently not picking up.

"No see with your voice anything in minor key will sound dissonant-"

"And what exactly are you implying by that?" Now Yeeun is upset, and Hiroko backs down, quickly changing tactics.

"I mean you have a voice more suited to mid-range..."

The argument is cut off by an interview with Yeeun.

"Honestly I see why Group A had such a hard time last time. Hiroko thinks she knows everything just because she likes to study."

In Hiroko's interview the singer is just as frustrated. "Yeeun-unnie just won't listen! Just because she's been training so long doesn't mean she knows everything."

Back in the practice room Iseul interrupts the heated debate. "There are multiple points of harmonization, why don't you just use the major third for one of them and a minor compliment for the rest?"

Hiroko looks upset. "Why only for one?"

Iseul rolls her eyes. "Because Kaerin and Jakyung are doing minor compliments for all their harmonies and you want the song to blend well?"

The next interview is with Iseul.

"They're going to drive me insane." There's a hint of some editing before her next words. "I just hope their final performace comes out well, at least this might be somewhat worth it then."

The camera then returns to Group B, where once again Aerin seems to be quite upset.

"This is ridiculous, I barely rap at all!"

"That's the point" Natchaya sounds incredibly amused by Aerin's frustrations. "Inho-sunbae hates your guts, so the less you give him to critique the better our performance will look!"

Aerin throws her hands into the air. "That's ridiculous! He'd just get mad that I didn't do enough!"

"And we'll just say that with three rappers we were stretched thin. He likes Hyojin and Shisae way better than you anyway." Natchaya pointed out, still quite cheerful.

Aerin starts to retort but Hyojin interferes. "That's enough. Aerin your particular vocal type fits your lines best, simple as that. And regardless Shisae has already started working on the dance using the current line distribution, so you should have said omething earlier if you're that upset about it." Her tone leaves no room to argue.

Aerin is pouting when the scene changes to show an interview with her. "Heck yeah I'm upset. I get that Inho is being a about my rapping for some reason, probably he couldn't even get into YG, but that's not fair to use it as an excuse to cut my parts down to nothing!"

Hyojin seems exasperated in her interview. "The lines are actually quite evenly distributed all things considered, I feel like Aerin is just looking for something to complain about."

The interview switches back to Aerin, though it's Doyeol speaking. "You know, Inho actually turned down YG when they tried to recruit him for Big Bang's survival show. He's solo by choice."

"Well then he regrets it and is taking it out on me." Aerin mutters sourly.

The interview then switches to Inho, who looks vaguely amused. "She said that? Damn YG has gotten more arrogant since 2000. It's nothing against her, just her inability to find her own style. Rappers need their own voice, not one manufactured for them, even if it is from a major company."


The scene opens on the theatre. The audience isn't quite as full as it had been in the previous episode, but they're still quite enthusiastic as the camera pans over them.

The hosts enter the stage to renewed applause, and Gyujin takes the mic first.

"Hello everyone, and welcome to the second live performance of Versus! We're definitely excited to be here, and I for one am looking forward to seeing how our girls have interpreted their new challenge!"

Hyomin takes over. "Indeed. After a lack of creativity last time, we're hoping to see some variety this round. Our interviewer Doyeol has been keeping an eye on the groups as they've practiced, and he's assured me we're in for a decidedly varied show tonight."

In the front row, the judges are already seated, notebooks out. All three look intrigued at Hyomin's comment, though Inho is quick to revert back to his resting look of disinterest.

"Well we don't want to keep you waiting, so without further ado, Group C!" Gyujin signals for applause as the hosts step off the stage to join the judges in the front row.

The seven girls of Group C file onto the stage and quickly fall into formation with no preamble.


Jiwon - HighD;Long White Shirt, Kyungmi - Eunjin;Short Red hair, Miyeon - Minjae;Black Skirt, Olivia - D.ana;Blonde, Eugene - New Sun;Short Black Hair, Yoonhee - Nahyun;Suspenders, Minah - Sumin;2nd Singer

As the performance ends there are notably more women than men cheering. The girls throw a bit more fanservice while they wait for the applause to die down. Miyeon throws hearts at the crowd, Yoonhee and Kyungmi make hearts together, and Minah pulls Eugene into blowing kisses with her, though the latter seems distinctly awkward.

Finally the audience quiets down enough for Inho to start his analysis.

"Well I suppose it was nice to hear actual rapping from Olivia and Eugene. Of course neither of you are impressive, but at least you actually bothered to try this time." Inho, as always, is quite cutting with his commentary, but he ends the critiqe there, and both rappers looks clearly surprised.

The scene briefly cuts to an interview with Eugene. "I mean, with how he treats Aerin I thought he'd ridicule us. But I guess he didn't hate it?" She looks almost reluctantly happy at the thought.

The scene changes back as Hyunmi begins her remarks. "Like last time your group was pretty well in sync. It was a good call keeping Minah and Kyungmi up front for the majority of the dance, I did notice a few of you watching them to check your timing."

Jiwon nods almost absently while Eugene and Olivia have varying looks of embarassment. Hyunmi notices the somewhat negative response and she smiles.

"It's a good thing. Team awareness should always come first for dances. That said the dance was quite simple overall so there isn't much more I can say about that. I was hoping to seem something more complex since three of the five remaining dancers are in this Group."

Yoonhee, Kyungmi, and Minah all look apologetic as Hyunmi settles back into her seat and Iseul readies her notes.

"Well then. What can I say? I guess thank you for not trying to make your voices cutesy this time, that was an improvement. But otherwise... I'm not exactly blown away. Jiwon, were you really the only person who could do those high notes? Or attempt them."

Jiwon seems unphased. "We found my breath control to be higher than the rest, but you know that none of us are vocal talents. You likely weren't going to see much in the way of power singing from this group."

Iseul looks momentarily stunned by the reply, before quickly regaining her composure. "That may well be but it doesn't mean you get to give up and start screaming notes. You're here to learn as much as compete, and I expect some improvement in the vocal department next time." She sits down almost huffily.

Jiwon nods thoughtfully as Hyomin rises from her seat.

"Now before we move on to our next performance, please explain how you feel that your song choice fits with this week's theme."

Miyeon motions to Kyungmi to speak, and the dancer nervously clears .

"Well, we thought that it would be a twist to perform a song no one was expecting?" She sounds nervous.

There's a breif cut away to Miyeon. "It was Kyungmi's idea to being with, I think it's good to encourage her to speak up more. Shyness is well and good but she's aiming to debut, so there will be a lot of strangers in her future!"

When the scene changes back to the stage, Group C has exited and Group B have taken up their own formation.


Ahri - Soyeon;Blue Jacket, Natchaya - Heain;Pink Jacket, Jina - Yujeong;Blue & White Sweater, Aerin - ZN;Green Shirt, Hyojin - Solbin;Pink Sweater, Shisae - Yulhee;White Shirt

This time the girls claim more male hearts than female if the screams are anything to go by.

Hyomin starts this time. "So how do you think you accomplished the week's theme?"

Hyojin replies smoothly. "Well it's certainly a twist for girls to cover boy group songs, and we also kept the original lyrics rather than changing the gender of the song's subject, as is the case when women do cover male songs more often than not."

Hyomin nods and sits back down, showing no real reaction to the explanation otherwise.

For once Inho doesn't leap to begin, instead waving for his female colleagues to go before him, grinning slightly as he meets Aerin's eye from the stage.

Hyunmi goes first. "The dance was simple but well executed. Who did the edits to the original choreography?"

Shisae quietly raises her hand and Hyunmi nods.

"I thought so. It was well done overall though the acting from Natchaya definitely brought it to another level. Without that it likely would have been a bit boring."

She motions for Iseul to speak next, and the vocal judge is all to happy to comply.

"Changing male songs to female is always difficult, with the key changes and whatnot, but overall you didn't completely butcher it." She pauses as a few of the girls breath out in relief. "However there were definitely individual parts that were a hot mess. Aerin your voice has an odd quality to it that made your sections stick out like a sore thumb. And Jina, while I appreciate not straining your high note this time, lipsyncing over the backtrack isn't exactly a preferable alternative."

Jina frowns, tearig up a bit before rapidly blinking them back.

"In fact the only person who actually sang live the entire time was Hyojin and she's a rapper! I was very dissapointed with that, though of course it's not uncommon. But I expect more next time if you intend to remain in this competition."

An interview with Ahri appears on the screen. "Oh, well, I mean she's right. I did some lipsync too towards the end, dancing and singing at the same time is hard." But she looks upset despite her pragmatic words.

Back in the theatre, Inho has finally flipped open his own notes.

"Now then, I guess it's my turn now. I'll start with Shisae and Hyojin. Honestly, good job."

Both girls look stunned at the praise, but Inho quickly clears up any misunderstandings.

"I mean it was far from impressive, but for your song choice what you did worked fine. It's good to see both of you accepting that you'll need to choose songs to better suit weaker rapping. And speaking of." He looks over to Aerin. "Are you so scared of what I'll say that you're willing to sing instead?"

The camera cuts to a livid Aerin in the interview room. "I told them! I told them to give me more lines but do they listen? No!"

Back with Inho, Aerin is choking up. "I wanted more..."

"Nonsense what you had was fine. Like Iseul pointed out you're very stylized, and it didn't fit the vibe of the song at all. Anything more and you would have just broken things up. I'm mostly dissapointed that you clearly still aren't listening to me. Even from your two seconds of rap you can clearly hear 'YG'."

"I can't just suddenly change-"

"I'm not telling you to, but I am saying you need to start trying. You won't copmeltely find your own style for a while, but you better start looking now or your time on this show will be limited." Though he speaks conversationally, the threat in Inho's words isn't lost on Aerin as she cries openly, and then immeidately tries to wipe her face clean.

Jina tries to help lead the other girl offstage as they exit, but Aerin shakes her off. Jina looks to Natchaya, who just shrugs and gives an exaggerated eye roll.

HGyujin rises from his seat. "Only one group left! Are you guys ready to see what Group A is performing today?"

The mentioned group enters to the responding applause and quickly settle into a line. Once the applause dies down, the music begins.


Kaerin - Ahyeon;Short Hair, Jakyung - Suhyun;White Skirt, Yeeun - Jihyo;All Black, Hiroko - Yuju;White Shirt

As the song ends, the loudest cheers of the night start up, and all four girls smile and wave to the audience.

Hyomin has to wait a bit longer for the audience to calm down before she can pose her usual question. "How do you think your performance matches the theme of the challenge?"

Hiroko is quick to reply. "Well we took a well known song and put our own unique spin on it. A twist, if you would."

Jakyung giggles.

Hyomin nods, again her expression unreadable as she sits back down.

Inho waits politely for Iseul and Hyunmi to finish their notes before announcing his own thoughts.

"As there was no rapping I actually don't care at all." He sounds a bit dissapointed.

Hyunmi rolls her eyes while Iseul laughs a bit. The dance judge then shrugs.

"Honestly I can't say anything either. You chose to not dance at all during the performance, though it sounded pretty I suppose." The dance judge doesn't seem as put off as Inho had been. "As such I really can't say much either." She nods to Iseul to indicate that she's finished.

The vocal judge clears , and then flips back a page in her notebook, causing the four girls to shift nervously.

"I knew I'd be the only one talking." The vocal judge sounds wryly amused during a quick cut to an interview with her. "I watched them preparing - Inho-oppa and Hyunmi-unnie weren't going to have anything to say."

The scene changes back as Group A awaits their judgement. Iseul clears , and then turns to face Kaerin.

"The main thing I noticed with you Kaerin was that the majority of your lines were in your mixed register. Having that part of your voice well-developed is rare and thus usually an asset, but any time you shifted into your head or chest voice you got distinctly breathy. It's clear your breathing isn't as solid as your note placement and especially during the harmony parts it made things sound almost out of tune due to the extra air escaping."

Kaerin nods, almost enthusiastically. Despite the critisism she looks rather happy.

There's a brief shift to her interview. "I really love getting feedback!" She explains. "It helps me improve for the future!"

Iseul moves on to the next girl in line, Jakyung.

"Jakyung I have a similar note for you. You sang exclusively in your lower register, and while it's clear you're very solid in that area, which again is rare in women, it meant that your parts often fell flat and grew boring since it was always the same execution. I'd like to hear some more emotion from you next time."

Jakyung nods easily, not as excited as Kaerin was but still accepting of the notes.

Yeeun fidgets a bit when Iseul turns to her.

"Yeeun, you're another one who sounds better lower, though at least you did try to push into your higher register a few times. However your note placement is significantly less precise in your mixed and head voice, and tere were moments, especially during the harmonies, when you slid while looking for the correct note. To an untrained ear it might have been unnoticable if it had only happened once, but nearly every high harmony you had you had to search for the note first and it made those sections sound highly dissonant."

Yeeun nods silently, gazing at her feet.

Hiroko is smirking slightly when Isuel turns to her, and the judge notices.

"Don't get cocky yet Hiroko, your notes are the longest in the group."

Immediately the smile drops into a grimace. Iseul ignores it and begins.

"Hiroko, your technique is quite good, but your emotion and general ability to blend with other voices is clearly somewhere you struggle. A few of Yeeun's slides occured because you hit the wrong tonic to begin with. Confidence is one thing but you need to understand that music is mobile and you need to be able to switch notes if it's called for. I'll also add that while I liked the idea behind your flourishes due to the lack of emotional execution they often felt misplaced compared to the straight-forward execution by the other three. I'd say my main thing to think about is that music on paper translates very differently to actual performances."

Hiroko looks distinctly annoyed by the end of the note, and there's a focus shift to show her in an interview.

"She basically quoted Yeeun-unnie. I'm sure it's not a completely biased note, but you have to understand why I'd be a little upset by the blatant favoritism."

Hyomin stands as the rest of the contestants return to the stage and begin waving to the audience. "Well then, it's time to vote! And remember, whichever team loses will be subject to eliminations next episode, so think carefully, and remember to tune in again next week!"

The camera pans over the audience as they vote, and the credits start as the ending music plays.

Author's note

First off, if you guys like survival shows, you definitely need to check out gossimer's apply story Fighting! And while I'm doing shoutouts for awesome applies, you should also check out Re-Play by kattirompa as well ^^

Moving on, we've had our first elimination! Did it make you sad? Were you surprised? I tried to put more emotion into this one so feedback is love! Even if it's to tell me my emotions are flat and terrible, I'll know to work on that then ^^ Also Iseul dropped some music terms at the end there, and while the girls know what she means if you don't I'd be more than happy to translate.

And on my final day of sick leave I just got super inspired and that is why this chapter is early xD As such the poll closes on Sunday instead of Teusday. Next week's update will likely be on the weekend again though.