Callback

\/s ↮ A Female Survival Program
↮\/s↮
Episode One

The Vs logo smashes across the screen much the same as it had in the pre show performance episode. It glows over the screen for a moment before the sound of an alarm clock starts blaring and it shatters to reveal a dorm room.

There are two small bunk beds on either side of a closet, with little room for anything else between them. The alarm sound blares insistently through the silence and one of the figures in the beds moves, whining.

"Ugh, someone turn that off." One of the girls whines, her voice muffled and her face covered by a pillow.

Another girl mumbles something in response, but doesn't move to do anything. After another long moment the girl in the bottom let bunk finally gets up, rubs her eyes blearily, and looks around for the source of the noise.

The frame briefly freezes over the girl's face, and an information box indentifies her as Shin Ahri, a vocalist representing Happyface Entertainment.

Ahri looks around for a moment before speaking softly, almost inaudible under the continued noise. "I think it's coming from outside."

The girl who'd initially spoken appears from under her sheets. Her information box marks her as Choi Aerin, a rapper from Simtong Entertainment.

"Well then can you go outside and turn it off? There isn't even any light outside yet, it's too early to be awake."

"Didn't you used to train at YG? You sould be used to this." The third girl finally speaks, peering out from her sheets to look at Aerin. Her information box reveals her to be Akiyama Hiroko from Rainbow Bridge World, though it doesn't give her primary skill.

"I left YG to get away from this bull." Aerin groans. "Training doesn't start until eight at Simtong."

"Well lucky for you. Come on, time to get up princess." Hiroko's voice is heavy with sleep but she swings her legs over the side of the bed, shivering as the cool morning air hits her mostly bare skin. She stands up, grabs a pillow, and promptly hits the girl on the top bunk over hers. "Hey Liv, move your rear."

The figure shifts, and then a head pops over the egde, the freeze frame catching her bedhead in all it's glory. She's identified as Olivia Yi, a rapper from Hama Entertainment. She yawns loudly.

"Is that an alarm?"

"Jeez, you would sleep through a fire wouldn't you?" Aerin grumbles as she decsends from her own bunk, shuddering at the cold though she's wearing long pants unlike Hiroko.

Just then Ahri returns to the room. "Everyone has to get dressed and meet in the theatre next door ASAP." She reports. The alarm is still blaring.

"What about that noise? Why isn't it off?"

"Iseul-unnie says no one touches it until everyone is out of the dorm." Ahri replies, already digging through the closet to find her clothes.

The other three follow her example, and the scene cuts to outside the room where the rest of the girls are already up and about.

"Hey your bathroom time is up already, it's my turn!" One girl is pounding on one of the doors. She's identified as Jin Hyojin, a rapper from Coridel Entertainment.

The door swings open to show a very pretty girl who looks a bit hassled. She's noted to be Kim Miyeon from Midas Entertainment. As with Hiroko no main talent is given.

"Alright calm down. There you go, all yours." Miyeon smiles at Hyojin but it's vaguely sarcastic and she rolls her eyes when the door closes. She looks around for a moment before smiling and walking over to a small group of girls by the door.

"Hey I'm ready. Wanna walk over together?"

The girl closest to her looks up with a bright grin. "Yeah sure! Can we wait for Eugene though? I said I'd walk with her." Her box reveals her to be Lee Minah, a dancer from Cowl Entertainment.

Miyeon nods aimiable. "Of course! The more the merrier." She glances at the other girls in the group. "You guys okay with that?"

The three all nod and smile. Their information boxes mark them as vocalist Kaerin, dancer Yoonhee, and dancer Kyungmi, from H2 Media, Sidus HQ, and YNB Entertainment respectively.

"Why not? Eugene seems nice!" Yoonhee speaks up cheerfully.

"Yeah! Plus maybe we'll work together this time so it's good to get to know everyone!" Kaerin adds, just as bright.

Miyeon laughs. "How you two have so much energy at four in the morning is beyond me." She muses, grinning to Minah who laughs her agreement.

"What do you think we're doing today?" Contrary to her quiet introduction, Kyungmi seems much more open and excited despite the early hour. Yoonhee automatically turns to her to reply.

"Maybe we're going to start practicing for the next perofrmances? That's what happens in these shows right?"

Kaerin butts into the conversation. "Is it? I've never watched a survival show, do you just do different performances every episode until someone wins?"

Miyeon looks over in surprise. "Never? Really?" Her eyebrow quirks in amusement. "Well you're in for a ride my friend."

Kaerin beams. "Cool! I like rides!"

While they talk another girl has walked up to the group and now leans over to Minah to whisper a question. "Is she serious?"

The image freeze frames and she's identified as Eugene Nam, a rapper from Polaris entertainment.

Minah shrugs. "Kaerin is Kaerin. You'll get used to her."

"I'm sure I will. Thanks for waiting by the way." Eugene adds with a smile.

Miyeon is the one to reply this time. "No problem, a friend of Minah is a friend of ours, right guys?"

The other three chorus agreement and Minah smiles brightly while Eugene looks a little awkward at the attention.

The group departs shortly after and the focus changes to Hiroko and Olivia as they get ready. The latter seems to have woken up some and is talking a mile a minute despite her still-sleepy appearance.

"I bet they're going to divide us by skill and have those judges give us pointers and stuff." Olivia speculates as she pulls her hair up into a ponytail.

Hiroko nods wordlessly as she carefully smoothes down her skirt, checking it's length.

Olivia doesn't seem to mind the quiet as she grabs hair extensions from one of the bathroom drawers and begins carefully attaching it to her hair elastic. "I mean that would be the best way to check our skills and stuff, right?"

"Hm. You ready to go? I think we're the last ones here." Hiroko finally speaks up, looking around the otherwise empty dorm. "Something tells me Mrs. Ahn won't appreciate us taking too long."

Olivia makes a face. "One second just let me-"

"Oh skip the extensions for today Liv, you look fine."

Olivia pouts but puts the extensions back into the drawer and the two head out.

The scene changes to show the girls back in the main theater where they'd performed their introductory stages. Olivia and Hiroko hurry in a moment after the scene focuses, and they bow apologetically to the hosts before sitting down in the audience with the rest of the contestants.

On the stage itself are Hyomin and Gyujin, the former whom looks vaguely exhasperated at Olivia and Hiroko's tardiness.

"Now that you're all here," She pauses to shoot another glace at the latecomers, "We can begin. Your first official challenge begins today, but first we'll be determining your groups."

The judges enter the stage as she speaks. They stand behind the two hosts and watch the contestants emotionleslly, causing a few of the girls to shift uncomfortably.

Hyomin pays them no mind as she continues. "For the next hour each of you will give short performances showcasing your skills. You will them be divided into three teams. Team A will be those deemed the most talented, Team B second most, and Team C as the least talented. Any questions?"

"Isn't that mean though?" Kaerin pipes up, her face scrunched into a frown.

Gyujin replies. "It's so the people in Group C will work hard to prove they belong in Group A! Think of it as a motivation system." He smiles, and Kaerin seems happy with the reply as she grins back and settles back into her seat.

"Okay!"

"Now that that's out of the way," Hyomin doesn't seem particularly thrilled with the interruptions, "We'll get started."

The judges and hosts then leave the stage and sit down in the front row of seats. The judges get out notebooks and pens while Gyujin talks with the girls and appears to create an order for them to perform in.

The performances are sped through, and the judges don't appear to make any comments during the actual stages. Olivia goes last, and the scene returns to normal speed as she bows elaborately at the end of her performance.

The judges write silently as she returns to her seat and holds up a high five to Hiroko, who laughs and oblidges.

The girls talk amongst themselves as the judges go over their notes with each other and the hosts. Finally Hyomin stands up, holding a piece of paper. The judges follow her onto the stage and stand behind her as she clears to get the contestants' attention. Everyone quickly falls silent and turns to face the main host.

"Please hold all questions for the end, you'll get a chance to inquire about your ranking in due time." Hyomin begins, and then begins to read the paper.

"In Group C we have Eugene, Ahri, Olivia, Yoonhee, Natchaya, Minah, Jiwon, and Miyeon."

Minah looks a bit sad, but after a moment smiles over at Eugene, who gives a small smile back, while Miyeon slings an arm over Yoonhee and grins, though Yoonhee is looking sadly at Kyungmi. Natchaya makes a face at her placement but otherwise seems unaffected, while Jiwon and Ahri don't react at all. Only Olivia actively protests her rank.

"Hey I'm at least B! I work hard-"

"I said questions will be at the end Olivia, sit down." Hyomin's tone leaves no room to argue, and Olivia slumps back into her seat, pouting.

"Group B will be Yeeun, Aerin, Jina, Kyungmi, and Jakyung."

Kyungmi looks pleasantly surprised at her placement, but both Aerin and Jina are clearly displeased though they wisely remain silent. Yeeun chews on her lip lightly but otherwise shows no response, while Jakyung continues to smile, seeming to have not even registered the situation.

Hyomin continues. "And finally, congratulations to Jaelyn, Kaerin, Hiroko, Hyojin, and Shisae. You five will be in Group A and are currently the most skilled and promising contestant."

Naturally all five look pleased with their placement. Even the until now stoic Shisae gives a faint smile.

"Well then, Group A you may return to the dorms and get some more sleep. Groups C and B you're to begin work on your performances immediately."

A few of the lower group girls glare as Group A exits, but the five are either too tired or too excited to notice. Once they've left Hyomi speaks again.

"Now you may ask any questions that you have about the group you're in."

"Why am I not in A?" Aerin chokes a little as she speaks and blinks angrily. Next to her, Miyeon raises an eyebrow.

Inho's response is quick and brutal. "Because you sound like a poor man's parody of a YG rapper. A rip off of CL and G-Dragon. You have no originality whatsoever. Fix that and you'll maybe be worth a Group A placement."

A few tears escape Aerin before she turns her face to the ground, hiding her anger and frustration with her bangs.

"What about me? How come I'm in B?" Jina pipes up next, a mix of curiosity and annoyance lacing her words. The screen freezes to introduce her as a vocalist from Asia Bridge.

"You strain your high notes. Just because you can hit them doesn't mean you should." Iseul's reply is frank, but doesn't have the bite that Inho's did.

Jina nods, frowning. "Okay."

Hyomin waits a moment before again taking center stage. "Well then, for this episode your challenge is 'Callback.' Create a stage based around this theme by midnight tomorrow. Any questions?"

"Yeah, what does callback even mean?" The screen freezes to show the girl is Natchaya from NAP Entertainment, no speciality listed. She's slouched in her seat as she eyes the host, a spark of challenge in her eyes.

Hyomin doesn't acknowledge the sarcasm in Natchaya's words as she responds, "Whatever you take it to mean. Anything else?"

The girls remain silent, and Hyomin claps her hands together in finiality. "Well then, off you go! Best of luck, and we'll look forward to seeing what you create."


The scene opens on Group C. They're sitting in a small practice room that barely fits the eight girls as they sit in a circle formation.

     

     

Miyeon seems to have taken charge. "Alright, so we all agree that the interpretation for 'callback' is to do an old group's song. Anything else you guys think we could do with it? Something to make us stand out?" She looks around encouragingly at the group, but is met with a sleepy silence.

"Let's just choose a song already. Honestly with you in charge nothing is going to get done." Natchaya complains from where she's sitting, slightly outside of the circle and leaning against the only mirror in the room.

Miyeon frowns at her. "Alrigh then, what do you suggest?"

"What about Big Bang? They're popular and have some not-horrible songs." The Thai girls offers, though she doesn't sound like she really cares one way or the other.

Jiwon clears softly, drawing attention from the others. The screen freezes to note her as a trainee from NH Media. "I've been thinking. It's clear the judges don't think we're capable of very much, so I believe that attempting a song that would be extremely powerful may not be our best play right now simply because they wouldn't really take us seriously. They're all powerhouses in their own specialties, we can't truly hope to impress them right away. I propose we focus on creating a simple performance, but making it extremely well put-together. Nothing too flashy, but still enjoyable to watch."

"And how exactly would that work to our favor?" Miyeon's question is hesitant, and the other six girls don't look convinced either, but Jiwon is unphased.

"Think about it. If we keep the performance minimal, there simply won't be as much to judge us on, and therefore there will be less things to critisize. That actually puts us in a better light ultimately - if there aren't as many bad things to say, then surely the performance must have been pretty good. That's how most minds work, and I doubt the judges are that much different when it comes to skills they aren't particularly focused on."

Now Miyeon looks intrigued. "Huh, not bad. Anything else to this plan of yours?"

Jiwon gives the smallest of smiles.

The scene changes to show Yoonhee standing against a backdrop showing the Versus logo. A box on the screen shows the question, "How do you feel about Jiwon's plan?"

The young girl thinks for a moment. "I mean, it's a good idea. She's good at arguing her point. But... she's kind of scary. I dunno, there's something weird about her." She blinks and looks embarrassed. "I think we'll do well though!"

The screen changes back to what appears to be a cafeteria, where Group B is enjoying a breakfast of toast and eggs, save one who's napping on the table.

   

 

"So callback is pretty obviously about doing old songs. You know, the classic Survival move, making us compare ourselves to legends, makes us look bad. All that stuff." Aerin seems to have taken control, and though her eyes are still slightly red she's stopped crying and now seems to be rather furious. "So the others will be doing old songs. We need something that will differentiate us from them even further. Ideas?" She looks at the other three who are awake, her gaze intense.

Kyungmi shrinks from the look and stares nervously at the table.

Again there's a cut to an interview, this one featuring Kyungmi. The box reads, "How do you feel about your group?"

Kyungmi shuffles her feet nervously. "Well, I'm, er, not very good around people I don't know well? And since all my friends are in Group C - well except Kaerin since she's in Group A and seriously isn't that awesome? I'm really proud of her! - but um, anyway I think it's going to be hard since I don't really know anyone in my group very well." She shuffles her feet again awkwardly.

The scene changes back to the cafeteria, where Aerin is still waiting for suggestions. "Come on, none of you? Do we not have any creativity in this group?"

"I don't see you offering anything either Aerin, so maybe watch your tone." One of the others warns quietly. Her freeze screen identifies her as Kim Yeeun, a vocalist from CT Entertainment.

Aerin makes a face but seems to concede the point when she doesn't say anything else.

Kyungmi fidgets in her seat a bit more before hesitantly speaking up. "Um, I might have an idea?"

Three pairs of eyes turn to her and she shrinks a bit.

"I mean it might be really dumb." She mumbles, fidgeting.

Yeeun smiles warmly. "Any idea is worth hearing, don't be nervous."

Kyungmi relaxes infinitesimally and nods. "Okay so what if in addition to an old song, we do one that used to be covered all the time but isn't really something that's done anymore? You know, like a callback to what used to be popular?"

Aerin stands up in excitement, rocking the table and jerking the sleeping girl awake. Her freeze screen identifies her as Yang Jakyung from Soulstice Entertianment, a vocalist.

"Kyungmi you're brilliant!" Aerin enthuses.

"Truly star quality!" Jakyung pipes up, yawning. "You know, stars? Brilliant?"

Everyone stares at her, unimpressed, as she stretches. "So what are we talking about?"

The scene changes to the dorms again. The room it focuses on looks identical to the one seen at the start of the episode. Two figures are visible on the lower bunks, both sound asleep.

A sharp knocking at the unseen door causes both to shift, but not fully wake up until a voice follows the knock.

"Get up! Sun's awake then so are you, time to start the challenge!"

The figure in the bed to the right gets up first. The screen pauses to label her as Yoo Shisae from GH Entertainment.

The second figure takes longer to get moving, so by the time she's sitting up Shisae has already left the room, all without even looking at the other girl, now seen to be Hyojin.

"'M up." She mumbles into the empty room. As she shuffles out of bed the camera zooms out, seeming through the wall, and focuses on the main gathering area where the four other members are waiting with Hyunmi, who doesn't look happy about having to be patient.

A moment later a still somewhat blearly Hyojin joins the group and they all look expectantly at Hyunmi.

   

 

"So what are we doing unnie?" Despite seeming to be the least awake, Hyojin speaks first.

Hyunmi doesn't seem bothered by the lack of formalities from the younger woman as she responds. "You can get breakfast in the dining hall and then the first practice room is yours to use. Your chalenge is 'callback'. You have until tomorrow at midnight to create a performance based around this theme. If you require assistance or backup dancers I'll be around, so just ask. Any questions?"

Jaelyn pipes up. "What's callback mean?" She smiles sweetly.

Hyunmi sighs. "That's the one thing I can't tell you, it's up to you to figure out what it means. Anything else?"

"You-"

"You mentioned assistance, would that include choreography? Could we ask you for help with that?" Hiroko doesn't seem to notice she'd cut off Hyojin, nor does she notice the death glare the other levels at her afterwards.

Hyunmi ignores it as well. "You may."

"Are you offering that to the other teams as well?" Hyojin speaks quickly, and Hiroko looks over at her with a mix of confusion and annoyance.

Again Hyunmi ignores the tension between the two. "No. As the top ranked group you have access to resources not allocated to the other contestants."

Kaerin frowns. "So we're the best... so we get help?" She blinks. "Okay!"

Shisae has a vaguely bitter look on her face, and the screen switches to an interview with her.

This time Doyeol is heard asking the question. "You seemed unhappy about getting help for your group, why is that?"

"I'm not unhappy." Shisae replies shortly. Her posture is a bit tense and her tone is short, and the scene quickly returns to Group A, which has relocated to their practice room.

It's noticably bigger than the one Group C had been in, and Kaerin spins around happily as she enters.

"Awesome, we got the big room! I though Group C would get it since they're the biggest group!"

Hyunmi is still with the group and she responds to the remark. "Group A gets the best practice room no matter the group sizes. Group C is in the end practice room."

Kaerin pauses her spinning and frowns. "But... that room is so small! How will eight people fit in there?"

Hyojin clears . "Okay guys enough chatter, the other groups have a few hours on us, so we need to get started. Any suggestions?"

Hiroko immediately takes over. "We have two rapper, three dancers, and one vocalist between the five of us. I propose 2NE1's Ugly with our own choreography. By which I mean Hyunmi's choreography."

Hyunmi rolls her eyes from where she's settled herself against one of the mirrors.

Hyojin looks extremely annoyed. "That isn't a suggestion Hiroko it's a command. This is a group. Anyone else-"

"Look Hyojin you aren't the group leader, I've heard from Olivia what a nightmare you are in charge and anyway my plan will make everyone look good." Hiroko's interruption isn't voiced particularly rudely, but it's an interruption nonetheless and Hyojin is not happy about it.

"I wasn't asking you Hiroko, and Olivia is a self-invovled special snowflake who doesn't know when to shut up and work. Her complaints about my leadering are probably just whining that I didn't let her rap the whole d*mned thing."

"Special snowflake? Look who's talking." Hiroko grumbles.

Kaerin and Jaelyn watch the two bickering like spectators at a tennis match, while Shisae rolls her eyes and pulls out her phone.

"And what exactly is that supposed to mean?"

The interview room is shown again, this time with Hyunmi. Again Doyeol gets to ask the question after the camera is rolling.

"What do you think of Group A?"

"I think I wish I wasn't in charge of babysitting this week." Hyunmi grumbles. "Hiroko and Hyojin are both leader types and neither wants to give any ground. It doesn't help that Hiroko has a preconceived dislike for Hyojin and Hyojin doesn't seem like she knows what compromise even means."

"Do you think they can still create a good performance?"

Hyunmi grimaces. "We put them all into Group A because they have a lot of talent. But honestly? No."


The scene returns to Group A, apparently a few hours later as Hyunmi is nowhere to be seen, but the girls are going through a choreography and are all sweating heavily.

"There, we got through the whole thing. I'm going to get some water!" Jaelyn seems to be the least exhausted as they finish their run shortly after they come into view.

Hyojin and Hiroko both grimace, but the former speaks first. "Jaelyn you just took a break before this run, and you still can't sing half of your part, you really shouldn't be stopping so soon."

"Not to agree with Hyojin, but you are off beat for half your lines." Hiroko adds.

Jaelyn pouts. "I hate these moments when you actually work together."

As the girls start the dance again the scene transitions to an interview with Jaelyn.

There isn't a clear question as she talks. "Honestly those two are just work work work. The only time we get a breather is when they start arguing, which I guess is pretty frequently, but they're both such perfectionists. We're all ranked as the best trainees in the group, why are they worrying so much?"

A montage follows the interview, showing Group A as they practice - though as Jaelyn had said they do stop quite often to argue. It ends after a few minutes, and a new interview comes up, this one with the host Hyomin.

"How do you think the groups are going to fare at the show tonight?" Doyeol almost sounds timid as he asks the host the quesion, though Hyomin doesn't seem to notice.

"I trust the judges to have made good choices for the groups, and even if things don't go smoothly that can be just as interesting to watch as well done performances." She seems unworried.

"There has been some... unrest amongst one of the groups." Doyeol informs her, still highly respectful with his tone.

"Well we'll see if they overcame it then, won't we?" Hyomin gives a smile right to the camera. "It's just about time for the show to start."

The scene gives way to the main Arirang stage, where a crowd similar in size to that of the introductory episode cheer as the camera pans past them.

At the front of the crowd, the hosts and judges are seated in a seperate section, roped off from the rest of the audience. Each of the judges has their notebooks out and pens ready.

Gyujin and Hyomin are standing in front of their seats, both smiling, though as always Gyujin's is much brighter.

"Hello all and welcome to the second performace for Versus!" He pauses for applause. "Today we'll be seeing three groups competing in our first challenge!"

Hyomin takes over. "Yesterday our esteemed judges grouped our contestants according to their talent levels. We'll be starting the night with our lowest talent group and ending with a performance from Group A, the girls ranked as the best performers among the contestants."

The camera returns its focus to Gyujin. "The theme for these performance will be 'Callback'! I'm excited to see what our girls have put together. And withou further ado, let's get this show on the road!"

The lights get a bit darker as the crowd cheers. The camera once again pans over the audience, and then it focuses on the stage, where the eight girls of Group C are standing in a line, one behind the other.

Natchaya stands at the head of the line, and she makes faces at the crowd as they wait for their music to start, but once it does all eight girls stay in-character and professional.


Ahri - Jin;Short Hair, Jiwon - Kei;Tiny Pigtails, Natchaya - Sujeong;Front of the line, Miyeon - Mijoo;Dark Pigtails, Olivia - Jiae;Bun, Eugene - Yein;Blonde Pigtails, Yoonhee - Baby Soul;No Bangs & Bow, Minah - Jisoo;No Bangs & Headband

The performance isn't stellar, and Natchaya cracks her high note, but the applause is resounding regardless.

The camera shows the judges writing in their notebooks as the applause dies down. Inho finishes first and leans back in his seat looking bored. Hyunmi and Iseul take a bit more time, but after a bit they both look up as well.

The girls have all made their way to the front of the stage, with Miyeon in the middle.

Hyomin addresses them. "That was very nice girls. Now how do you think it pertains to the theme?"

Miyeon replies smoothly. "Well Kissing You was one of SNSD's major breakout songs along with Gee and Oh, so we felt it would be a nice callback, as it were, to the early days of the greats." She smiles cutely and several of the men in the audience cheer the answer.

Hyomin looks less impressed. "Acceptable, though rather in-the-box thinking. Judges, are you ready with your analyses?"

Inho starts talking immediately, before the camera even focuses on his face. "Olivia and Eugene, you both performed with raps prior to this and I was hoping to see what you were capable of for this challenge. Though considering your performances up to this point I'm not surprised you wouldn't want to rap in front of people again, neither of you are particularly impressive."

Olivia opens , annoyance written clearly across her face, but Jiwon steps on her foot and drops shut, though her eyes stay narrowed.

Hyunmi glances at Iseul before she begins her own critiques.

"For the most part you seem to have taken my advice to focus on the group aspect of your dancing. However, Olivia, Eugene, and Jiwon were almost never in sync with the rest of you, which was a major problem as it often distracted from the performance itself. And if you think I missed the part where Jiwon almost ran into Minah after the first chorus I didn't. You need to be better aware of the people around you, just learning the steps doesn't do that." Hyunmi leans back in her seat. "Otherwise I can't say much. None of you are particularly stand out dancers, so making the performance rather simplistic was a good call though resulted in a boring routine."

Miyeon looks over at Jiwon, who has a faint frown but otherwise shows no reaction.

Finally Iseul looks up. "While most of you strained your notes and tried far too hard to sound cute, likely to match the style of the song but please don't next time half of you were making me cringe, there were two of you who surprisingly sounded pretty good. They likely saved your performance."

She doesn't elaborate further, and Gyujin takes over.

"Well I for one thought you girls were quite cute! An excellent and entertaining performance to be sure, but let's see what the next group will show us!"

Group C quickly file out, though several of them wave and smile to the audience, most notably Miyeon. They pass Group B as they go, and Yoonhee gives Kyungmi a hug good luck before exiting.

The camera pans over the audience and ends up missing the start of the performance as it slowly pans back to the stage.


Yeeun - EunB;Polka Dot Shirt, Kyungmi - RiSe;Blonde, Jakyung - Sojung;Gray Dress, Jina - Zuny;All white, Aerin - Ashley;Polka Dot Skirt

The cheers aren't quite as loud as they had been for Group C, and Aerin's dissapointment is immediately obvious. Kyungmi looks over at the rapper nervously, but the group is summoned to the front of the stage for eveluation before anything can be said.

Hyomin eyes them critically. "So how do you feel this fits into the theme of the challenge?"

Aerin starts to respond, but Yeeun interrupts her. "It was Kyungmi's idea." She then looks encouragingly at the younger contestant, who stares at her and then the audience with wide eyes before clearing nervously.

"Well, er, How Come was very popular when it was first released and lots of people covered it, but then it sort of vanished after that." She clears again and shuffles awkwardly in place as the main host's eyes bore into her.

"I suppose you at least tried to be creative." Hyomin finally says. "Well the, judges? What are your thoughts?"

Inho is only too happy to go first. "Aerin, I'm not sure what that was supposed to be but did you even bother listening to me yesterday? You sounded even more like someone attempting - and failing - to copy CL than ever. This isn't YG, sounding like every other YG rapper isn't going to cut it here. I want to see more of an effort from you next time."

Aerin is tearing up again, though she quickly looks away to try and hide it.

Hyunmi speaks next. "The five of you were for the most part in sync, although Kyungmi missed one of the turns which suprised me. You were quite a promising dancer during evaluations yesterday. Regardless the dance itself is rather simplistic so it's good you excecuted it well as there's no reason for you to have messed up on such a simple routine."

Iseul waits a moment to be sure Hyunmi has finished before she begins her own analysis. "The singing was mostly passable. Like Hyunmi said the song is highly simplistic so there isn't much to do with it. I was impressed to see Aerin singing, though your voice type clashed with the other four so perhaps you should stick to rapping in the future. It was smart giving Jakyung and Yeeun the majority of the chorus parts though, they're definitely the best vocalists on the team. Jina you did alright, but you stretch for the high notes too much. Kyungmi... stick to dancing."

Kyungmi bows her head.

Gyujin quickly takes over. "Well I for one thought it was a fun blast from the past! Now we have one more group performing tonight, so let's get ready!"

Group B is cheered off and Group A enters. Jaelyn and Kaerin wave excitedly to the audience, but the other three look nervous. Even Shisae seems tense.

They waste no time getting into formation and waiting for the music to start.


Shisae - Soyeon;Small Side Ponytail, Hyojin - Mirim;Gold Speckled Shirt, Hiroko - Minju;Gold Necklace, Kaerin - Haye;Green Dress w/ Belt, Jaelyn - Yoonji;Short Hair

The cheers are about equal to those for Group B, but a camera pan over the judges and hosts show that only Gyujin is clapping.

Hyomin stands, signalling for the audience to fall silent. "I believe I already know the answer, but how does your performance fit the theme of the challenge?"

Hiroko and Hyojin both move to answer, but Shisae cuts them both off. "Same as Group C." Her tone is clipped.

"Well I appreciate the honesty, and the concisness." Hyomin has something almost resembling a smile threatening to break loose. "Let's get to the judges then."

Inho is only too eager to start. "What can I say? While I can appreciate the thought behind creating your own raps, maybe you just shouldn't if you aren't capable of writing good ones." He looks direction at Hyojin. "'I got a boy like Girls Generation'? Really? Do you think you're clever? Next time let Shisae write yours. Other than that you both have fine flow and rythm, if rather bland." He leans back, content with his analysis, though Hyojin looks ready to burst a vein.

Hyunmi nods to Iseul to take the next turn, and the vocal judge nods in return.

"The singing was... something. Jaelyn, I noticed you didn't sing the chorus with the others until the end, and at first I wondered why. But then at the end you were singing completely out of sync with everyone else. There's being a part of a beat off, but you were at least two beats ahead of everyone else vocally and it was painfully obvious. Kaerin, though you are a good vocalist, it's clear your dancing is a mess and it affected your singing in a very big way. I heard more gasps for air than actual sound coming through your microphone. Hyojin and Shisae - stick to rapping. You weren't bad but both of you have next to no vocal technique and if it wasn't for the fact the performance was already vocally disjointed you both would have broken the flow." She places her notebook down on her lap and looks to Hyunmi, finished.

Onstage Hiroko looks rather proud while the other four are clearly upset with their reviews. The scene briefly changes to show Kaerin in the interview room.

"I mean, I've never danced before so it was really hard to sing and dance at the same time..." She say sadly.

The scene changes back as Hyunmi begins her critiques.

"You chose to make this a very dance-heavy performance, and with three strong dancers it could have worked. However, both Kaerin and Hyojin are not dancers, and they were clearly struggling to keep up the entire time. You may have had a choreography with moving parts and different styles, but if your whole team can't keep up then you're not working properly as a group. Whoever made this call definitely needs to work on her team skills. You can't just take parts of people and hope the rest with catch up, you have to focus on the whole picture from the very begining." She finishes with that.

Onstage Hiroko's pride has slumped and she frowns as Gyujin takes over.

"Well, now that we've seen all the performances, it's time for you to vote vote vote! Everyone in the audience has a remote to vote with, so be sure to get yours in before you leave today!"

Hyomin takes over to end the episode. "And remember that whichever team loses today will also have a member eliminated. So be sure to tune in next week to see the results."

The camera pans out to show all the contestants standing on the stage and waving, though several are looking at the main host, startled and nevervous. The camera swings out to show the audience as they cheer on cue, and then the scene cuts to the credits.

Author's note

And thus it begins! Remember to get your votes in by the upcoming Tuesday or they won't count! And also be extra sure to read the whole question before you vote, you don't want to vote for the wrong group! Also, although commenting isn't required for voting this story, it is highly encouraged as it pushes me to write faster!

And if you guys like survival shows, you definitely need to check out gossimer's apply sotry Fighting!