Chapter 5~

May i'm different but i may be your love

[Himchan's P.o.V]

He next day, at night the Indians gather around the fire and talk. The chief was there along side with his wife that by my surprise was white as Koa said. I couldn't fully understand why she still was here or why they didn't kill her at first place but that was none of my business. Koa was also there with his sister next to his father. At their gathering the chief didn't talk much but mostly one of them who was visibly different from the others...the paint on his face and body...his actions...he looked like a mad man.

[Daehyun's P.o.V]

Tonight was one of those nights that we all gather together and listen to our shaman. Listen how the crop is going to be, if we can go through the next months with the food, if a danger appear for our village from nowhere, if we are going to have a birth in our village...or death. My father take his words seriously as for some weird reason come out right. The spirits have given a wonderful gift to that person and this is the truth.

"The spirits of rain are going to visit us, we are going to have good crop." the shaman said lastly as my father nodded his head, "I see...our village is going to be blessed again from the dear spirit, we are going to survive again the next months. But do you see anything else? Is there something else that we should know?" my father asked and then the shaman gave him a serious look and gave him a nod. "We are going to face difficulties soon...pale faces are going to visit us soon...and destroy our village" the shaman said and my father looked at him without saying a word for some minutes, "Why didn’t you say that earlier? "

"Because we still have a hope. The spirits are going to send us a man with pale skin, that man can give back life to the human's dead body, give back its breath. The son of the chief has to teach him our culture so he will be able to save our village at the moment of crisis that awaits us. " the shaman explained but that sounded totally crazy. How can a pale face save us? Spirits already send us some pale faces but we only gain trouble from the one who remain and no who knows what is awaiting for us from the other four who has been released.

"A pale face become one of us? That's impossible I'm afraid" I catch my father say, "Father is right. How can be possible? And why I have to be the one who will teach him? I don’t understand" I looked confused at our shaman, "The spirits already spoke Koa. They have their reason to put you in that adventure. You have many things to teach and many things to learn until you become the next chief. Learn to be patience and accept spirits’ words. Don't be afraid. " 

"If this is what the spirits want son, then you have to respect them. He is right after all, you need to learn and become wiser before you become the next chief. That is your fate in life." My father said looking at me but honestly I never felt before that confused in my life. It looks like I'm going to train someone how to save our village while I will stay back and do nothing. I feel so useless.

I remain at my position for the rest of the night as the others went back to sleep one by one. The fire was dying slowly like my thoughts in my head, I was tired and think about it all day wouldn't make the things better. I had to accept it, what's the big deal anyway? Father had already accepted the fact that we are going to let a pale face in our culture. I watched the fire until the only thing that remained was the grey smoke and walked back to my tent but our prisoner's figure catch my attention and I decide to go check him. When finally I was closer to him and from what the darkness let me see I figured out that he had passed out on his knees and he had his head bowed at front. I kind of pity him, not even animals sleep like that, but I couldn't do something else but let him be, if I do I will get in trouble. I only reached out and get of his hat and took a better look of his face. He looked peaceful under the calmness of the sleep, I couldn't recognize the person that I met first. It made me wonder if he was the one pale face that our shaman talked about, the way he talks about us, that he doesn't want to harm us. "Don't be stupid, don't let him fool you" I told myself and put his hat back on before I headed in my tent.

[Himchan's P.o.V]

The next day I woke up because of some children screams, panicked I opened my eyes and looked around me. Some of the Indians were already out of their tents and some children were talking to the elders and looked panicked. Something had happened. Some of the elders Indians start to run towards the forest, I spotted Koa's mother near me with her hands covering like she was in shock and scared. "Ma'am, what happened?  " I asked her and for my luck I catch her attention as she turn around and walked towards me. "One of the kids drowned  the river, they can't take him back in his senses. It's too late" she said and I felt sad hearing the news, I thought about my siblings and I imagined how I would feel if that kid was one of my siblings. "Hurry up and release me. I can help. "  She looked at me with hesitation,

"My husband doesn't trust you. If you run away I will get in big trouble"

"I promise I will not run away just hurry up before it’s too late for the kid. It happened to my brother once so I know how to help". She looked at me one more time before she start to untie the knots that hold me prisoner, "Alright, you better hurry up. I'm coming with you. " she said throwing the rope away, without losing any time I start to run with her following the others. Soon we were at the river, there were some Indians already gathered there, Koa's mother said something in their language and they opened a way for me, now I could clearly see a young boy, around seven years old lied on the ground. I went closer and kneeled next to the boy, I first checked his pulse and then his breath, he was still alive but he shallow a lot of water. I fix his head at the right position and start to push his chest lightly with my hands before I closed his nose and breathed in his mouth, I tried to help him get rid of the water in his lungs by giving him more air though his mouth and I made sure that his heart will not stop by pushing his chest. I did the same for some more times until the kid start to get back conscious and split some water, the Indians stared in amaze and between them was Koa next to his mother, the weird part was that he was smiling, i never have seen him like this before, showing emotions. He was beautiful.


I couldn't imagine the next thing that happened. I was dragged at a tent right after I helped the kid, Koa took a seat next to me without looking at me. "What is going on?" I asked him confused by the situation that I was dragged in, "Father want to talk to you, you better be quiet. I will explain to you just have to wait" he said and gave me a look before he looked back at his father. Still confused I watched an older man who has to be the chief talk to Koa and give me glances from time to time, he was serious and that part was the thing that made my blood froze, I didn't knew if I was in trouble or not. Koa nodded when the older man stopped to talk and then he looked at me, "What is going on?" 

"Calm down. You're not in trouble. Or at least how you can see it. "

"Please explain...I don't like what you just said."

Koa took a deep breath before he start to speak, "Yesterday our Magician said that the spirits going to send us a man with pale skin that will be able to give back life to a dead body, give back the breath. I have to teach that man about our culture so he will become one of us and save us at our time of crisis. " his words didn't help understand but they confused me even more, I didn't even knew what he was talking about.
"And what is that had to do with me? What crisis?"

"Due the incident that happened earlier my father heard about how you helped the kid and now everyone believe that the man that the magician talked about is you. " those words took me back by surprise and I chuckled at how stupid it sounds, "You can't be serious. I didn't take the kid back to life, the kid was still alive and I just helped him with his breath, everyone can do that, I'm not the chosen one or something like that." Koa put his arm on my shoulder and sighed "Himchan, please listen up. As much as I hate to admit it, you are the chosen one, we have captured a lot of men like you but no one acted like you did, first you sacrifice yourself so your men will be free, you face the reverberations like a man and helped one of us. Maybe you were trouble for a moment but you are not bad at all, many pale faces tried to kill us and they are going to try again soon. We are one of the last Indians tribes that still alive but we don't know for how long we will stay alive. That's our crisis that someone will try to destroy us. We need you Himchan, we need your help. If you don’t want to harm us then show it to us and help us.", I couldn't believe what I was hearing, they needed my help and how I was supposed to help them anyway? I was prisoner until now.  But that was my chance to bring peace between my people and Indians, to prove that Indians are not different from us and we have to learn a lot of them, that we should respect them as humans too but that doesn't affect all the people. The tribe could be in danger not only because of my town but others too, how I was supposed to handle them? I guess it's not time to think about it now.

"Himchan, my father waits for your answer. What is your decision? " Koa's word bought me back in reality and they were waiting for an answer. I slowly nodded my head and looked at Koa, "Tell your father that it's my honor to learn your culture and help you" Koa smiled and told his father my words who after that looked at me and bowed at me, "He said thank you" Koa explained, "Tell him that I'm thankful that now I’m part of your tribe" I told him with a smile and bowed at the chief showing my respect with their way, "Who said that you are part of our tribe already? You have long way to go and many things to learn before you become accepted but I'm going to be a good teacher and if you listen to me well everything is going to be fine. "  Koa said looking at me and I could see a small smile forming on his lips, "I'm really, I'll be a good student and I will not let down your tribe. "