Chapter Twenty-Seven: Light Up my Life

Fly With Me

This is the last chapter! T.T Thank you so, so, so much to every single person who commented, subscribed, or enjoyed my story. All your sweet comments have made me smile so wide and I love you all for it! Thank you all for being so wonderful, and I hoped you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it ♥

- - - - - -

                A calm silence had fallen over the hotel room. The lights had been turned out, and ever since a pleasant darkness had engulfed the entire room. Through the sheer curtains covering the balcony door, I could see various lights. Lights from amusement park rides that gained permission to shine from the moon once the sun had gone to sleep. There was a small crack where the curtains came together, revealing the night sky overhead. Eyes fixed on the sliver of night, I slowly sat up, being careful not to move too suddenly and wake Byunghun up.

                Currently, I was the only one wide awake. No matter how hard I tried to relax myself, I just couldn’t feel tired. I stared up at the ceiling and bit my lip, silently wondering what time it was. However, I couldn’t see over Byunghun. Sweet Byunghun was sound asleep beside me, lying on his back with his head turned towards me. His mouth was closed and his lips were in a perfect, relaxed pout. His arms casually lay across his chest, which rose and fell as he breathed steadily. I gazed at him with both affection and jealously. Affection because he looked so sweet. Jealousy because he was fast asleep.

                Considering the stillness of the room, you’d think it would be nearly impossible to not slip into a deep slumber. This was a stark contrast to the way the room was about two hours ago when the aegyo battle was taking place. It had been Min Neul versus Changhyun, of course, and they had battled fiercely. Ever giggle, wink, and smile that came from either of the two earned a roar of applause from the spectators. The battle had been a close one and both sides had fought valiantly and adorably. In the end, though, Min Neul claimed victory once again, most likely because Jonghyun cheered the loudest for her. Changhyun cried out at his loss once again and was forced to admit that while he may be the King of Aegyo, Min Neul was certainly the Queen. Jonghyun had scooped the victorious Queen up and spun her around in a circle. Ironically, Teen Top’s lead dancer had lost control of his feet and stumbled as he spun, and they had landed in a fit of laughter on one of the beds, unofficially signaling the ending of the aegyo battle. The ending of the aegyo battle had in turn unofficially signaled that the party was coming to a close, and it was time to sleep. Everyone had fallen asleep the moment Chanhee leaned over the side of the bed to turn out the light.

                Everyone except me, that was. I sat up ever so slowly, compelled by the visible sliver of night sky. I glanced over Byunghun and Chanhee’s sleeping bodies and glimpsed at the digital clock on the nightstand. It was almost midnight. I silently groaned to myself, dismayed at the slow progress of the night. Sighing silently, I frustrated ran my fingers through my messy, shoulder-length hair and glanced around the room. Beside Byunghun, Chanhee was sleeping on his stomach with his head turned the opposite way. On top of the other bed was the only other couple in the room.

                Min Neul was sleeping beside Jonghyun right where she and he had collapsed. The only difference was that Jonghyun had thoughtfully managed to pull the covers up over the two of them. Min Neul’s head was resting on his chest, her dark hair cascading over his shoulder. He had both hands placed protectively on her back as if he was keeping her there, safe and sound with him. Her eyes were closed and her lips were parted slightly. She seemed to be breathing in time with Jonghyun, as his chest slowly rose and fell in a steady beat. Upon first glance, I assumed Jonghyun was asleep as well, but as I looked closer at them I realized that Jonghyun was actually awake. He was sitting up against a pile of pillows, glancing down at Min Neul while she slept. Suddenly Min Neul stirred slightly; Jonghyun responded by leaning down and tenderly kissing the top of her head, quietly wishing for her to sleep soundly for the remainder of the night. In the darkness, I could have sworn I saw him smile.

                For a second I thought of Hyerin. I wondered what she would think of her fifteen-year-old sister sound asleep on her sixteen-year-old boyfriend’s chest. But considering she and Minsoo had somehow disappeared into one of the other rooms, I highly doubted that Min Neul and her boyfriend were on her mind.

                Daniel and Changhyun were nowhere to be found either. I assumed that they had slipped out of this hotel room and into a different one in hopes of guaranteeing themselves a restful night’s sleep in their own gigantic queen beds. Considering my lack of both space on the bed and sleepiness, I secretly wished I had done the same.

                I glanced back to the other side of the room where the tall glass doors were. I peered straight into the crack between the curtains, wondering what the view from the balcony looked like at night. Suddenly, I found myself slipping out of bed and tip-toeing straight to the curtains. I quietly swept back the curtains and pushed the sliding glass door open. I stepped out of the hotel room and onto the balcony, into the night. The sky was a deep shade of blue and was spotted with tiny stars. The ground below seemed like an extension of the sky, as the darkness was lighten up by the bright lights of amusement park rides. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, leaning against the railing. I felt the cool metal against my finger tips. I welcomed the warm breeze on my face. I smelled the wonderfully fresh air. I wanted to press pause on my life. I wanted to freeze time and let this moment last forever. These past two months had been absolute heaven for not just me, but everyone. Although I had expected to spend these two months with nobody but Byunghun, I couldn’t imagine not having Min Neul, Hyerin, and the rest of the boys here with me. The nine of us were a pack. We were nothing unless we were all together. I was so thankful that my parents agreed to let me bright them along. My summer could not have been this amazing without any of them.

                Byunghun especially.

                My eyes were still closed when I heard a noise behind me. My eyes snapped open and my head whipped around, wondering who could possibly be intruding on my peace.

                Byunghun. No one else but him. In the darkness, I saw him smile sweetly. His orange hair was a little messy and his white v-neck was wrinkled, a dead giveawaythat he had just woken up.

                I smiled, happy to see him. "Hi, Byunghun."

                "Hey there, beautiful," he said sweetly as he sauntered up next to me. He placed his hands on the balcony railing just as I was doing and looked out into the night sky. We had a beautiful view of the park below us. Rides mimicked the stars, beautifully lighten up against the dark backdrop that was the navy blue sky. Into the sky stretched roller coaster or two, but nothing stood out more than a beautiful Disneyland Castle, one that could have only been dreamed up by a sparkly-eyed little girl in her most pleasant dreams.

                Byunghun glanced at me. "What are you doing out here, babe? You should be back inside sleeping.

                I shrugged. "I couldn't sleep. So I came out here." Dreamily, I looked out at the landscape. "Isn’t it beautiful?"

                Byunghun tilted his head. "What, exactly?"

                The landscape. The lights. The sky. The stars. This entire trip. This moment.

                Him.

                "Everything," I answered in a soft voice.

                "Sure is," Byunghun responded with a smile. He turned his head to look at me. "Especially you."

                Even the night couldn’t conceal the pink blush that coated my cheeks. No matter how many times Byunghun complimented me, I couldn’t help but blush.

                Suddenly, Byunghun s his arm around my waist and pulled me close to him. “Thank you, Kirin.”

                “For what?”

                “Everything,” he answered in a soft voice. “This has been the best summer of my entire life. When you said you were going to California, I knew I wouldn’t be able to leave you. I just can’t believe we’re actually here. I can’t believe what we’ve done. It’s been crazy, you know? A crazy ride. There were ups and downs, but I wouldn’t have changed even one second of this summer. It’s been incredible. And it’s all thanks to you.”

                I couldn’t even speak. But there were no words necessary. I simply stood high up on my toes and delivered a kiss onto Byunghun’s soft, pink lips. He closed his eyes and kissed me back, holding me tightly.

                Suddenly, a loud fizzing noise echoed from the distance. Byunghun and I tore our lips apart, startled. We looked out into the distance, wondering where on earth that sound had come from. To our surprise, and delight, a bright red firework exploded high in the sky above the beautifully illuminated Disney Castle. More fireworks exploded right beside it, lighting up the darkness with a purple hue. One after the other, celebratory fireworks were launched into the sky, exploding in dazzling arrays of colors. The sparks seemed to rain down the sky like magic dust, bringing good luck, happiness, and love to all. The magic dust could keep the love; I already had plenty of that.

         Byunghun’s face completely lit up, and he smiled the most beautiful smile I had ever seen. We glanced at each other and broke down laughing. His mesmerizing laughter rang out into the night over the firework bursts. He took my face in his hands, and we kissed again just as the sky light up a radiant shade of red. He only took his lips off mine to whisper words only I was lucky enough to hear. “I love you, Lee Kirin. I always have, and I always will. Being in one of the most beautiful places in the world with the most beautiful girl in the world makes me feel like…like I’m flying.” He pulled me even closer and slowly reached up to softly touch my face with his warm hand. I looked deep into his beautiful eyes, which were the shape of rainbows. “Thanks for flying with me.”