Wrong Decision

Let's Not Put a Label on It
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Lisa you’re home. Where’s your jacket?” Lisa’s mother asked as soon as she had heard the door shut upon her daughter’s arrival.

“Oh I uhm forgot it in my locker.” Lisa answered nervously. Her mother eyed her noting there was something off about the way her daughter was acting.

“How was studying? Did something happen?”

“N-no, nothing happened.” Lisa stuttered, recalling everything that had happened. “I just don’t feel too good. Probably cause of the cold.”

“Okay well go change into warmer clothes then, I’ll make some soup,” her mother told her still not fully convinced of the reasoning behind Lisa’s unusual behaviour.

Lisa quietly thanked her and climbed up the stairs to her room. She immediately shut the door, carelessly dropping her school bag and plopping herself face down on her bed. She buried her head in her pillow and let out a scream. She wasn’t sure if it was of joy or frustration. She stayed like that for a few moments, silently thinking about everything. The kiss, Jennie, her feelings – everything. So many questions ran through her mind. Am I gay? being the most redundant, which she absolutely did not want to be true.

Just the idea of it scared her. What would her parents think? Her father was a priest for God sakes. She had heard him preach about homouality before; many times. It was always a sin; an abomination. Of course she didn’t hold the same belief but she never spoke out against her father’s words either.

She couldn’t like girls. There had to be some part of her that liked boys, right?

 

***

 

Jennie sat with phone in hand intently staring at the screen. She was contemplating whether or not to send Lisa a text or talk to her in person. However, she couldn’t come to a decision as she was interrupted by a couple hard knocks at her door.

“Come in,” she said locking her phone and tossing it to the side to give her aunt her full attention.

“I brought dinner,” her aunt walked in holding out a brown paper bag decorated by grease stains.

“Thanks,” Jennie smiled taking the bag. The bag crinkled as she unfolded the top to look inside.

Her replied with a nod and crossed her arms. She observed Jennie for a few seconds before asking, “Who was that girl?”

Jennie looked up at her with a puzzled expression. “What girl?”

“The blonde one. Tall and skinny. Doll face,” her aunt described hoping to spark her niece’s memory.

 “Oh, Lisa. She’s a friend. She was helping me study.”

“Wow, studying. That’s a first,” she joked. “She seemed to be in a rush. Didn’t even notice me pull up.”

“It was passed her curfew,” Jennie lied.

Her aunt hummed in response almost sarcastically. She kept a keen eye on Jennie until the latter began feeling uncomfortable under her gaze.

“What?” Jennie asked.

“Are you sleeping with her?”

“Oh my god!” Jennie exclaimed in disbelief and proceeded to throw her pillow at the giggling woman.

“I’m joking relax,” her aunt managed to say after her small fit of laughter. She picked the pillow from the floor and threw it back at Jennie. “Well I’m going to be downstairs if you need me.”

“Okay, thanks for the food.”

“You’re welcome,” she grinned walking out of the room, closing the door behind her.

Jennie sighed as soon as she heard the door click shut. She couldn’t stop thinking about the events that had taken place earlier on her bed. Lisa confused her to no end.

Why did she leave? Was it because she didn’t like the kiss? But if she didn’t like the kiss why’d she kiss her back?  

All these questions and possibilities would not stop haunting Jennie’s mind. She decided it was best to occupy herself with food for the moment. She would look for closure tomorrow. That is, if Lisa would give it to her.

 

***

 

Jennie rested her head in the palm of her hand. Her eyes scanned the cafeteria out of boredom but for some reason, they would always stop for a second too long on a certain blonde sitting two tables in front of her.

Jennie checked her phone to distract herself. It didn’t quite work as she still found herself glancing up at the girl from time to time. While repeating the action once again, she caught Lisa staring right back at her. Their eye contact didn’t last long as Nate’s appearance caused Jennie to look away.

“Hey,” he’d said taking a seat in front of the brunette.

“Took you long enough,” Jennie remarked.

“Shut up, I didn’t take that long.”

“You weren’t the one waiting,”

“Fair enough,” he replied. “Anyway, I have something to ask you.”

“Okay, shoot.”

“I wanna ask Lisa out.”

Jennie stiffened hearing his words. Guilt washed over her at the realization that she’d kissed her best friend’s crush last night.

“I don’t think that’s a question,” she pointed out, trying to cover up her awkwardness.

“Oh well yeah I’m getting to that. You’ve been hanging out with her lately and I wanna know what you think. Should I?”

Jennie blinked at him a few times and scratched the back of her neck. She let her eyes glance at Lisa again for a second before returning them to Nate.

“Well,” she started, choosing the right words to say. “I… I think you should do it. Maybe she likes you too, who knows? It’s worth a shot.”

Jennie had to admit it did sting her heart a little saying those words but she wanted to be a supportive friend. It helped her feel less guilty.

“Thanks, Jen,” Nate smiled widely and extended his hand for a bro fist. Jennie gladly returned it, touching his fist with her own.

“No problem.”

 

***

 

“Can we talk?”

Lisa heard Jennie’s soft voice from behind her, just as she was about to step outside to walk home. She quietly sighed and turned around to face the latter, letting go of the door she held open. Jennie stood a few meters from her down the hall.

“About?” Lisa questioned taking a step forward.

“Are you really going to play dumb?” Jennie asked slowly covering the distance between them. She had her hands stuffed in her coat pockets. The same coat she always wore and the same coat she’d given Lisa to wear. Even though it wasn’t a very good time to ogle over how good Jennie looked in it, Lisa ogled over how good Jennie looked in it. 

“Not forever, no,”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter