Weird

Let's Not Put a Label on It
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Lisa took a sip of her canned ice tea and placed it back on the table next to her textbook, where it had been prior. She blankly stared at the endless amount of paragraphs she had to read through and heaved a sigh. She could feel the boredom slowly creeping up on her. Her hand moved for her phone, almost as if it had a mind of its own, and pressed the button which lit up the black screen with the time. Another breath of air escape at the realization that she still had another forty five minutes to kill before lunch was over.

She rested her head in the palm of her hand, examining the cafeteria of students. She observed them as they ate, giggled, and chatted amongst their friends.

Friends. Something she wished she had right now. Instead, she was stuck alone at a table surrounded by schoolwork she had no intention of doing at the moment.

“Hey!” someone loudly whispered into Lisa’s ears from behind, making her jump in her seat from the suddenness. With her hand on her chest, she turned her head to take a look at the person who’d startled her.

“What the hell, Jennie?” she exclaimed, “Don’t scare me like that.”

Jennie chuckled. “Why not? It’s fun.”

“Does it look like I had fun?”

Jennie gave no response and walked around the table, sitting down in the unoccupied seat in front of the blonde.

“Where’re your friends?” she asked noticing the emptiness at the table. “Did you bore them to death?”

“Very funny,” Lisa rolled her eyes. “They’re actually busy today.”

“With what?”

 “Well Jisoo’s busy. She’s helping a teacher move stuff out or something.”

“And what about Rosie?”

“Detention.”

Jennie chortled at the answer. “Wouldn’t expect any less from her.”

“Why are you here?” Lisa asked, lifting her iced tea to her lips and setting it back down again.

Jennie reached across the table for the can and brought it to her own mouth before answering. “Just wondering if you wanted to practice right now. For our presentation, I mean.”

“Do you take everyone’s food without asking?”

“No,” Jennie shrugged. “Just yours.”

“I’m honoured.” Lisa said, sarcasm evident in her voice.

“So we practicing or nah?”

“Why are you so keen to practice?” Lisa questioned. “You hated it yesterday.”

“I just don’t wanna screw it up for you, you know?”

“How very noble of you,” Lisa smiled closing her textbook and pushing it to the side. “Let’s get started then.”

Jennie pulled her bag off her shoulder and set it on her lap, ping it and pulling out a stack of cue cards held together by a rubber band.

“Where are yours?” Jennie asked referring to the lack of cards in Lisa’s hands.

“I memorized most of my parts,” she answered.

“Show off,” Jennie mumbled.

“I heard that.”

“Can we just start?”

“Fine, go ahead.”

And so Jennie began. She had improved since the other day and Lisa was sort of proud of her. Just sort of. Their practice session continued smoothly, pausing only when Lisa felt something could be done better. They were forced to stop when the obnoxious ringing of the bell interrupted them, signalling the end of lunch.

“Guess that’s it for practicing.” Jennie said standing up, slinging her bag over her shoulder in the process.

“I think we’re ready.” Lisa told her, holding her textbook against her chest.

Jennie nodded and followed Lisa out of the cafeteria.

“I’ll see you later then,” she said, once they were out in the school foyer.

“Hopefully not,” Lisa joked. “Bye.”

Jennie watched the blonde walk away to her next class before silently strolling to her own.

 

***

 

The final bell of the school day rang throughout the building. Teenagers crowded the halls, rushing to get home. Lisa on the other hand, took her time collecting her things and walking to her locker. She was pleasantly greeted there by Rosie and Jisoo.

“Hey,” she smiled at the two.

“How was lunch?” Jisoo asked. “Sorry I couldn’t be there.”

“It’s fine. It was alright actually.”

“What’d you do?” Rosie inquired.

“Nothing interesting. Just practiced for a presentation with Jennie,” Lisa answered as she put in the combination for her lock. She pulled it once she was done and it popped open.

“You and Jennie seem to be warming up,” Jisoo commented, watching Lisa rid herself of an unneeded textbook and shut her locker door.

“She’s okay.”

“What are you guys doing after school?” Rosie asked.

“Homework,” Jisoo answered.

“Lame.”

“Let me guess, you’re planning to procrastinate?” Jisoo remarked.

“You know me so well,” Rosie grinned, pinching the girl’s cheek leaving it red. Jisoo glared at her in return, rubbing the now pained area.

The friends began walking towards the exit of the school in light conversation when they heard a voice. It was of someone singing, something they don’t hear very often after school.

“I wonder who that is,” Jisoo said slowly nodding her head along to the song. “They have a nice voice.”

“Sounds like Jennie,” Rosie told her.

Lisa raised her eyebrows. “She sings?”

“Yeah we have vocals together.”

They continued down the hall, closer to the voice. Lisa couldn’t help but peek into the vocals room as they passed. She expected to see Jennie singing. However, she didn’t expect to find the girl as attractive as she did in that moment. Eyes closed, waving her head side to side lost in the melody playing in her head as she sang out the lyri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter