Lisa

Let's Not Put a Label on It
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Lisa missed her. Missed her asking for help with her homework.  Missed her stopping by their lunch table with some witty remark. Missed the gummy smile that formed on her face whenever someone told a stupid joke. Even missed her stealing her snacks. She missed everything about her.

She wondered a while how it went wrong so fast. She thought it was funny. Funny how it could take months for strangers to get close, form a bond, become inseperable, and in a mere second become strangers once again. That’s how it all felt to Lisa right now. Jennie and her were back to where they had begun; strangers.

Jennie seemed to want nothing to do with her nowadays. She’d been ignoring her for the past week. Lisa knew it was her own fault this happened but it still hurt. Jennie made it seem so easy to forget her. So easy, she began thinking maybe it just was easy.

She’d never been more miserable over someone and wasn’t exactly doing a good job of hiding it. 

“Does Lisa seem really down to you guys, or is that just me?” Rosie asked her two friends sitting side by side across the table.

“It’s not just you,” Jisoo replied, tearing the corner of a mini pack of sugar and dropping its contents into the steaming cup underneath.

“I’ve noticed it too,” Nate agreed. “Even Jennie seems a little blue lately.”

“I’m calling it,” Rosie paused sipping her cup of hot chocolate. “Something went down between them.”

Jisoo scoffed, “You don’t have to ‘call it’. It’s pretty obvious.”

Rosie cocked an eyebrow.

“If it was so obvious, why haven’t you said anything?” she retorted, running her fingers through her brown locks.

“I was going to but…”

“But?”

“But I wasn’t sure how, you know? Lisa’s so hard to reach sometimes. Always keeping things to herself.”

“Doesn’t hurt to try,” Nate shrugged. “You guys are close, she’ll probably open up sooner or later.”

“Have you tried?” Jisoo inquired, intently staring at the boy in anticipation.

“Yeah,” he sighed. “She said she was fine and changed the subject.”

He looked down at his textbook to avoid the pitiful glances from the two girls. Lisa might say she was Nate’s girlfriend but those words didn’t mean much when she barely acted like it. That had been especially apparent this past week and it wasn’t difficult for one to tell. This was not what he thought being in a relationship would be like. He knew no relationship was perfect, he didn’t expect a lot either. He just wanted to be there for her. Be the one she confided in, who she could truly be herself around. Turns out his entire perception had been wrong.

Or maybe he was just with the wrong person.

“We’re doing homework together after school today,” Jisoo spoke, breaking the few seconds of awkward silence that had engulfed them. “I’ll try talking to her then.”

 

***

 

Third period had begun and the students came piling into Lisa’s English class. Lisa sat at her usual seat with her book, pencil case, and sticky notes out completely prepared for the period. She kept her eyes at the door and watched the last two kids walk in, one of them being Jisoo and the other being Nate. He smiled at her which she returned with only half the sincerity.  

“Hey.” Jisoo greeted grinning at the blonde as she placed a disposable cup of – what Lisa presumed to be – coffee on the desk next to Lisa’s. She gently let her bag fall to the floor as she sat down.

“Hi, sorry I couldn’t hang out at lunch today.”

“It’s fine. Rosie and Nate kept me company,” Jisoo told her taking out a book of her own from her bag.

Lisa gave a small smile.

“I’m guessing you all went out for lunch?” she said referring to the coffee.

Jisoo opened to answer but the bell interrupted her, ringing for the second time signalling the start of class.

“Are you even allowed to have coffee in here?” Lisa whispered to Jisoo concerned her friend could get into trouble.

“I don’t know, she hasn’t said anything yet.” Jisoo whispered back.

Lisa nodded as the teacher began explaining what the class would be doing for the period.

“You guys are reading your books today and writing notes for your character assignment. I expect it to be silent. If you have questions, raise your hand and I will assist you.”

With that said the teacher went back to her desk while the class did as instructed.

About 15 minutes into reading is when Jisoo found something informative enough to note down. Reaching for her pencil Jisoo’s hand met the plastic of the coffee cup causing it to tip over. The coffee spilled on Lisa’s desk and unfortunately dripped over the edge and onto Lisa’s skirt and leggings. On the bright side it wasn’t as hot as it was half an hour ago.

Lisa had let out a small yelp and her first reflex had been to save her book (which she did successfully). The ruckus had caused the entire class to turn their focus onto the two.

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry” Jisoo apologized frantically getting up to get tissues from the box sitting atop the teacher’s desk.

“This, kids, is why you don’t bring your lunch to class,” their teacher asserted. “I’m leaving you off with a warning this time, Jisoo. I’d better not see drinks or food in this class again. That goes for everyone.”

Jisoo nodded in understanding. “It won’t happen again, Ms. Devereux.”

She moved to grab the tissue box but the teacher stopped her from doing so.

“I’ll call the janitor. You can help Lisa get cleaned up in the washroom.”

Jisoo nodded and watched Lisa stand up from her chair.

Without a word the two walked out of the room and into the peaceful school hallway. Lisa looked down at her skirt and frowned at the coffee stains. She hoped that they’d wash off as easily as they had clung to the fabric of her skirt.

“I’m sure we can get it off,” Jisoo assured her.

They strolled down the hall until they reached the wide open door of the female’s bathroom. Lisa stiffened upon entering the bathroom as Jennie stood by the sink, now looking right at her as the water wet her hands. The tension in the place felt suffocating. Lisa stared for a second more than she should have while Jennie nimbly moved for the paper towel dispenser. The brunette walked right past her for the exit without sparing another glance.

Lisa finally relaxed a little when Jisoo walked over to get paper towels. She applied water to them before returning to where Lisa stood, unmoving. While Jisoo worked on the blonde’s skirt, she decided waiting til after school to talk was too long. And so she spoke,

“Did something happen between you two?”

Lisa looked down at the crouched girl.

“What?” she asked, faking confusion.

“Did something happen between you two?” Jisoo repeated. “You and Jennie I mean.”

“What makes you say that?”

“I don’t know. You guys stopped talking and what just happened a minute ago was pretty… tense,” Jisoo explained.

Lisa stayed mum trying to think up a response.

“Lisa, I’m not dumb so don’t try to deny it.”

“I didn’t say anything,” Lisa countered.

“You were trying to think of an excuse. I know.”

Once again Lisa didn’t respond. She wasn’t sure what to say.

“You know Rosie, Nate, and I… we’re all worried about you. You seem so distant lately. If something’s bothering you you can tell us. Or just me.”

“I’m sorry I worried you all,” Lisa muttered.

“You don’t have to apologize, Lisa. You have to tell us how you feel. Get things off your chest,” Jisoo told her, standing up. Her voice was soft and laced with worry. “We’re here for you. I’m here for you.”

Assuming Lisa had nothing to say Jisoo continued.

“If you can’t tell me right now, I understand. It’s not good to keep things bottled up though.”

Jisoo didn’t expect a response, and no response was given either. She knew it was best to just leave it there. She wordlessly went back to attempting to get the stains off Lisa’s skirt.

 

***

 

Lisa ceaselessly tapped the top of her pencil against her notebook. She had been thinking about what had happened in the bathroom earlier that day. She felt a twinge in her heart recalling the way Jennie had ignored her. Luckily, Jisoo walked int

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter