Waffles & Anguish

Let's Not Put a Label on It
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Get up love birds! I have waffles,” was the first thing Lisa had heard the next morning. Her mind panicked at the unfamiliar voice encouraging her body to immediately sit up straight, waking the brunette lying on top of her as a result.

Jennie groaned in annoyance, groggily letting out a “What the hell?”

“Sorry,” Lisa softly apologized, admiring just how innocent and childlike the girl looked in and of that moment.

Jennie rubbed her eyes slowly and blinked a few times in an effort to clear her vision, unfortunately, to no avail as she had to squint anyway to properly make out the features of the girl next to her. Tarnished hair, slightly bloated face, and droopy eyes looking right into hers – something she wouldn’t mind waking up to every morning if she had a choice.  

“Your aunt’s home,” Lisa informed her, dropping her face into her palms. Jennie’s eyebrows furrowed at the action.

“I think she saw us,” her voice was muffled now.

Given her tired state, it took Jennie a good second to articulate what exactly Lisa had said and why it seemed to be such a concern.

“Nothing to be embarrassed about, loser,” she finally replied yawning in the process.

Lisa lifted her head from her hands glaring at Jennie to which she remained completely oblivious, instead standing up, stretching her arms as far as she could in the air above her and lazily letting them drop at her sides.

“Now come on, I smell waffles.”

 Lisa rolled her eyes, sighing, inadvertently following Jennie’s idle stroll into the kitchen. Inside, her nervousness was gnawing at her. She wasn’t certain why she was feeling such a way. Meeting adults was something she had – in her opinion – a talent for. It was routine for her every Sunday.  

Maybe it was because she was Jennie’s aunt. Jennie’s only family right now. She had never been formally introduced to her – only recalled seeing a glimpse of her that night she rushed out of the house after their first kiss. The notion of meeting the woman in such a manner was not one she felt would leave a good impression. Jennie’s words prior had somewhat eased her but it wasn’t enough to completely shut off the negative thoughts constantly flickering in her mind like a worn out lightbulb that was in need of a long due change.

However, she mustered up her friendliest, most pure smile when said woman came into view. She wore her hair in a ponytail, suited in a dark red polo tee, a nametag clinging to the shirt above her right . Lisa couldn’t make out what it read from where she was standing by Jennie near the counter. She assumed it was a generic “Hi, my name is blank” type of tag with the letters of her name messily etched below it in black ink.

“Good morning, you must be Lisa,” she greeted, her lips tightening together into a warm smile. It relieved Lisa of most of the anxiousness that had been clouding her mind. “Now don’t just stand there, come sit! I was just going to set the table.”

Jennie obliged not giving it a second thought. Lisa, on the contrary, decided to offer her help.

“Let me give you a hand.”

“That’s sweet of you – why can’t you be more like her Jennie? It’s fine darling, just take a seat.”

Lisa simply nodded and took the chair next to the scowling Jennie at the small hardwood dining table –which was placed a little off center in her opinion. She played with her thumbs observing the short woman stand on her tippy-toes (just like Jennie had last night, much to her amusement) to reach the top compartment of the cabinet in which the dishes were stored. She carefully managed to pull out three white ceramic plates, carrying them to the table only to turn right back around, rummaging noisily through a drawer underneath the counter and walking back, silver forks and knives in hand.    

Lisa took the initiative to neatly lay the plates on the table, one in front of every person. Jennie reached for the white paper bag that had been idly sitting, unfolding the top with faint crinkling. She lifted the large Styrofoam box it contained and set it on the surface, discarding the paper bag on the floor.

“Slow down there,” Sohee told her, noting how hurriedly her niece had opened the box and dug into the waffles, not even letting the food hit her plate first.

“I’m starving. We didn’t eat anything last night.”

Her aunt eyed the two with a smug grin.

“I’m sure.”

They ate in silence for a few moments, save for Jennie’s unnecessarily loud chewing and the occasional clank of utensils clashing against the surface of the plate.

“There was quite a storm last night, I heard,” her aunt spoke, in an effort to make conversation.

“I think the worst one I’ve seen,” Lisa said.

“Do your parents know you’re here?”

Lisa’s chewing unintentionally slowed down at the question. Amid the events that took place thus far, she’d forgotten completely about how she had to face the concerns and questions of her presumably angry parents later.

“I – uhm, no.”

“Oh, you can use my cell to call them if you’d like. I’ll give you a ride home once you finish eating.”

“It’s okay, auntie, really. I’ll walk,” she declined politely.

“Nonsense, it’s freezing out!”

“Just let her give you a ride, she’ll keep annoying you till you say yes,” Jennie told her nonchalantly, stuffing another forkful of waffle in .

Lisa couldn’t argue any further with the stubborn woman. Especially now that she had been reminded of what was to come once she stepped foot in her home. A ride from a kind middle-aged lady was the least of her problems.

She offered a small smile, “Well I guess I’m getting a ride then.”

 

***

 

The car ride home was much too short for Lisa’s liking. Her nerves were already on edge since before she even got in the vehicle. She’d thought the drive would have given her a little more time to prepare, however, that proved to be foolish on her part.

Sohee had taken note of her worried expression and asked, “Is everything alright dear?”

Lisa had blurted a small “Yes,” in reply and tried to show a small smile. It didn’t seem to put the woman’s concerns at ease but prevented her from pursuing the issue further – which was good enough for Lisa.   

The only thing that somewhat helped Lisa distract herself from her wandering brain thinking up the worst possible scenarios that could take

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter