Help

Let's Not Put a Label on It
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jennie sat on the tiled floor of their school hallway, her back resting against the lockers. She was intently scrolling through her phone, trying to keep herself busy as she waited. Every so often she would look up to see who walked by, hoping it was the person she was anticipating. Much to her disappointment, it never was. Eventually she stopped paying attention altogether.

“Hey what are you doing here?” a familiar voice asked, causing Jennie to avert her gaze from her phone up to see Lisa.

“Oh hi,” she greeted quickly standing up on her feet, brushing off the invisible dust on her jeans as she did so. “I was waiting for you.”

“Why’s that?” the latter furrowed her eyebrows.

“You said you’d help me out if I needed it. And now I need it.”

Lisa looked at her, confused for a moment before it clicked in her brain.

“Oh,” she said leaning her shoulder against the wall of lockers. “What do you need help with?”

“Physics.”

“I didn’t take it this year though,” Lisa told her.

“But you took it last year and I was hoping you could help me review, you know?”

Lisa offered a small smile, “I guess I could do that.”

“Cool. Can you come over?”

“Like right now?”

“Yeah we could walk there, it’s not that far.”

“Sure,” Lisa agreed. “I just have to let my mom know.”

“Of course you do,” Jennie said, watching her as she tapped a number into her phone and put it up to her ear.

It didn’t take long for the other line to pick up. The conversation was short, mostly consisting of ‘ok’s and ‘yes’s. As soon as Lisa hung up, she walked past Jennie saying, “Let’s get going.”

“Aren’t you forgetting your jacket?” Jennie asked turning to look at the blonde, her thumb pointing in the opposite direction at her locker. “Unless you’re planning on using mine again.”

Lisa stopped walking and turned just enough for Jennie to see her side profile.

“If you insist,” she shrugged and looked directly at Jennie. “Yours is warmer anyway.”

And with that, she continued walking again.

Jennie cracked a smile and began walking herself, gradually catching up with Lisa.

 

***

 

“I’m home!” Jennie called out upon entering her home. She kicked off her shoes leaving them messily on the entrance mat. Lisa was bothered at the way they were separately lying on their side. She picked them up and neatly placed them side by side at the corner of the mat before taking off her own.

“I guess she’s not home,” Jennie said having not received an answer to her call. She walked deeper into the house, past the living room and into the kitchen.

“Does she work?” Lisa asked following the girl. She took the time to take in the home. It was smaller than her own, messier too. As she passed through the living room she could see a few plates and cans of pop left on the coffee table alongside a bag of takeout. There was a t-shirt draped of the couch and a pair of socks on the floor in front of the television.

“Yeah. Sometimes she works late.”

“Oh,” Lisa said in response as she entered the kitchen. It was comparatively cleaner than the living room, save for a bowl of leftover milk and an open box of cereal placed on the counter.

“You want something to eat?” Jennie asked in attempt to be hospitable. She opened the refrigerator to look for anything edible, unfortunately for her it was nearly empty.

“No, it’s okay I’m not hungry.”

“Good cause my aunt forgot to do the groceries… again,” she sighed shutting the fridge door.

“I can tell.”

“Let’s go upstairs,” Jennie said and motioned for Lisa to follow her again with her hand.

They walked past the living room once more and up the stairs by the entrance. The hallway upstairs was narrow and only held two rooms. The first one being Jennie’s.

Jennie let Lisa walk in first and closed the door behind them.

Lisa wasn’t surprised by the state of Jennie’s room. It was just about what she had expected. A few articles of clothing sprawled on the floor near her open closet, her bedsheets wrinkled and on it, a wide open laptop.

“Nice room,” Lisa remarked stepping toward the bed. She sat down

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter