Danger #3

Stranger Danger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

TIP #3: “Qui n’avance pas, recule”
(Who does not move forward, recedes for there can be no standstill in life, only evolution or devolution)

 

In Hya tosses and turns in her slumber, bathed in cold sweat. Terrible visions are haunting her; so terrible that she can’t even discern if it is real or a nightmare.

It starts of with her being trapped in a run-down, creaky bathroom. No windows, no doors, just a huge empty bathtub.

All of a sudden, the tap runs by itself but what’s more shocking is that it was not dripping water.

It is dripping red.

It kept on filling the bathtub at an accelerating rate and it is only a matter of time before the bathroom gets flooded.

In Hya tries to shriek only to realize she has lost her voice. Her dismay doubles when all source of hope turns bleak. Only incoherent sounds managed escape .

The thick dark pool is almost at her neck level now as she desperately tries to stay afloat to gasp for oxygen.

She is drowning.

“No. No. No!” She chants and is rudely awakened.

“Yah, Ahgassi, wake up! You’re disturbing our sleep!”

In Hya flickers her eyes as she finally breaks out from her slumber. Her heart starts to palpitate like crazy, thankful that it was all just a dream.

She tilts to see a few middle-aged aunties staring at her angrily.

“A-Ah.” Finally realising, she sits up and bows, “I’m sorry about that.”

“If you’re going to be so loud, go home!” One of them shouts and lies back down.

In Hya bows apologetically again before draping on a cardigan.

She kneads her face slowly in her palms to melt her tensed muscles.

It feels like a long day has passed whereas it had been only hours ago when she found out that her adoptive father is gone.

In Hya feels horrible as the harsh reality sinks in instantly, not sparing any mercy. She closes her eyes, trying to suppress the tears pooling in her orbs.

What’s worse is that imageries of her father kept on replaying in her mind, no matter how hard she tries to sleep it off.

But it is okay. It serves as a reminder that he used to be a part of her life so she cannot even think of forgetting how he looks.

In Hya has been doing a lot of thinking ever since they left the funeral parlor. She hadn’t spoken in the car ride with Jongin because she was busy with her own thoughts.

She wonders how her mother is coping with their loss. Is she well? Is she still crying?

This will be a really difficult period for her. They grew up in a family of 3, so her mother does not have anyone else to lean on.

Father was her life, someone she had spent a decade with. He was her everything.

As much as In Hya wants to reach out to her, to comfort her, her presence may only agitate her.

Regret invades her when she thinks about how she had missed sending her father off for his final destination because she had lost her phone.

A lifetime regret that could have been avoided if she hadn’t made that careless mistake.

The stress becomes lavishing to bear before she finally peels her eyes wide again. She combs a hand through her hair and hugs her knees close.

She has to be strong for her mother. If she crumbles as well, she won’t be able to support her.

In Hya makes a note to rent her own proper place to stay until at least she completely mends their broken relationship.

Move on.

Start afresh all over.

Just the two of them.

As a family again.

She springs out of her seat and grabs her wallet before taking a breather.


* *
 

In Hya roams around the cold city of Seoul, looking at the clubs still operating.

She can’t continue living like this. She has to get a new phone and get out of the sauna as soon as possible.

The salary from her nursery job won’t be enough considering that she is just an intern.

The only way is to get an extra job at night.

That additional money will at least help fend for the necessities she direly requires as of now.

In Hya stops in front of a food tent by the roadside and takes a deep breath before entering.

“Hello Ahjumma.” She bows, “Do you maybe.. need a part-time helper?” She questions hopefully.

The lady stops washing the dishes and eyes her skeptically, “You? No, we’re full.”

In Hya gets rejected time and time again as she tries to seek for a job vacancy.

She approaches the chicken restaurant and finally it’s a stop that is hiring but unfortunately, they only require males.

In Hya lets out a sigh as she walks along the streets.

Her steps slow down when her eyes land onto a poster that piques her interest. It is a poster directed towards hiring female servers.

In Hya meekly glances up to check on the name of the bar.

She chews on her lips uncomfortably, thinking hard. It’s just serving, right?

In Hya musters her courage and carefully enters the pub.

The place reeks of alcohol, not to mention. Girls are dressed in skimpy outfits with little fabric while guys are chatting with them, probably to flirt.

A few couples are grinding on the dance floor and In Hya hurriedly turns away in embarrassment. She isn’t used to these types of places, but this may be the last resort for her.

A few guys shoot her dirty looks while girls balk at her in disgust seeing the modest wear she is in. In Hya hugs the cardigan tighter around her body and ignores all the stares. She eventually makes her way towards the bartender.

“Hello. I’m here for a job. Can I go for an interview?” She yells over the bursting music.

The bartender observes her for a while and then leads her to a secluded hallway. In Hya tails behind obediently. 

Her pupils are all over the place. In

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter