Life without you

Unforgettable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I thought I would be okay.

 

Pain, regret, depression, longing, missing... Chaeyoung.

The first year was not an easy one, after all, Dahyun had never felt the way she did for anyone else but Chaeyoung in her entire life. But she was too scared, she was a coward. And that was enough to make her think she had no right whatsoever to search for Chaeyoung anymore.

After she graduated from school, leaving only Tzuyu behind, she asked her parents to send her to France. One thing that hasn't changed was her passion for baking, and her parents thought that if sending her into an unknown country would finally put a smile on their daughter's face, they might as well do it.

The day of her departure everyone came to see her off, and that moment was probably the first one she had ever seen Jihyo cry that much.

" You have to stay in contact okay? " the older says while hugging her real tight.

" Of course Jihyo... and it's not like I'll stay there my whole life, I'll just study for two years and come back! " Dahyun pats the older's back with a faint smile on her face.

" You say two years like it's nothing! That's A LOT of time Dubu. " she breaks the hug and puts her two hands on Dahyun's shoulder.

" Jihyo c'mon, you're going to make Dahyun late for her flight. " Sana giggles as she breaks the two a part, and Dahyun finally saw the confirmation after all these years that Sana was indeed the older one of their tiny group. But, despite the older saying all of that, Dahyun could clearly see the sadness in Sana's eyes, the eyes that wanted to stop her but didn't have the right to.

" Well, then... see you... on facetime! " Dahyun smiles and to her surprise the savage youngest of the group enveloped her in a sudden hug. " Tzuyu... "

No one said anything, Tzuyu expressing skinship towards anyone but Sana was rare, so Dahyun let her. After a while Dahyun lightly pushes Tzuyu away and pats her hair, even though the younger is far taller than her " I have to go... " the girl simply nods and goes back next to Sana.

" Don't forget about me. " Eunbi laughs and takes a step forward.

" How could I. " Dahyun smirks

" I want to be the first to taste your homemade pro level cake when you get back. "

" Let's see about that. " Dahyun shrugs earning a light punch from Eunbi.

Then Dahyun finally departs without looking back. Because, to be honest, she was scared. Scared to fly into an unknown country with a language she barely spoke. Even the fact that she would stay in her aunt and uncle's home (whom by the way she had never met before) wasn't comforting her. So, if she did look back, she'd hesitate and run away from her dream.

 

 

 

 

 

It's hard, Dahyun gets more homesick that she thought she would. Everything is different here, but somehow, she manages to get used to the food, the culture and even understanding the language.

This was all thanks to a senior in her course though, and probably the only korean in the whole school beside her.

" Nayeon! " Dahyun sprinted while calling out the name of the girl.

" Oh, Dahyun, you're here. " the older girl greeted her. Dahyun often found herself mesmerized by her beauty, Nayeon was drop dead gorgeous, long black wavy hair that flowed through her back, kind but determined looking eyes and Dahyun's favorite, her toothy smile that showed her two front teeth, sometimes she wanted to call her Bunny, but the older never allowed her and would get mad.

" Oui! " Dahyun replies, the first thing she learned was saying yes, she unexpectedly started to like french, it wasn't a simple language but once you keep hearing it the latter found it quite cool sounding.

" Let's go then, teacher is waiting for us. " Nayeon grabs the younger's hand. It wasn't unusual, maybe because by now they're used to the fact that skinship here is easier, kissing in the cheek is like a greeting, you even do it when you've just met the person.

Dahyun follows behind Nayeon as the latter basically drags her. One of the other reason Dahyun immediately befriended the older was because she reminded her a lot of Jihyo. The way she really cares for her and can't leave her alone, as soon as Dahyun transferred and the teacher made Nayeon her partner, she took care of her like they've always knew each other. And the younger was glad, if not for her she'd be in the corner being the Dahyun of a year ago. Always in the snob that did not talk to anyone if it wasnt needed.

They begin the cooking class, the first task is to make a croissant au chocolat, Dahyun doesn't want to brag but even though she just transferred it she's considered a prodigy in class, she's too good at baking and impressed the teacher from the get go.

" Dahyun I'll take over the dough, you prepare the chocolate " Nayeon grabs the dough and starts folding it. Dahyun doesn't even reply and goes to the chocolate, she could not ask for a better partner, Nayeon is not only pretty but also on par with her cooking skills. They soon finish the croissant and get an A grade.

 

 

 

 

" We should, like, open up a bakery together when we go back to Korea. " says Dahyun enthusiastically.

" That's not a bad idea, but I'm going back in two years... " Nayeon replies while sitting turning around with the two ice cream they've ordered.

" ...not a problem! I am too! " the younger continues with her signature crescent moon smile

" Oh? You're only going to train 2 years? " she gives Dahyun her ice cream and sits down on the bench in front of the ice cream shop.

" Yeah, I think they're enough. " Dahyun grabs the ice cream and sits down.

" What a vain person you are... but I can't say you're not talented. " the older smirks.

Dahyun stares at the girl beside her, now that she thought about it, she had never seen her together with anyone else but herself outside. A lot of people admired her from a far ( she noticed whenever they strolled around school ) but no one really talked to her unless it was in class.

" Nayeon, listen... are people bullying you? "

The older coughs, almost spitting out the ice cream she was eating and wipes " what are you talking about? "

" No, well, you only hang out with me... "

Nayeon pauses, and looks confused for a second before opening again " I don't think so... I just think the others don't find me approachable...? "

" Maybe it's because you're too pretty and talented? "

" I don't know... "

" C'mon, you want me to believe no boys ever confessed to you? " the younger laughs and shoves the girl lightly with her elbow.

" They did... but.... I-I’m... I'm not... into... boys. " Nayeon looks down on the ice cream dripping from her hand.

" O-oh... " Dahyun stutters.

" Are you disgusted? " the older looks at the latter with a bitter smile on her face.

" No... don't worry, plus, I think I don't swing that way too. " she chukles.

" Really? When did you discover it? "

" Mh... the only relationship I've ever had was with a girl. A year ago. " Dahyun feels a little sting on her heart at the sole remembrance of Chaeyoung.

" You've only dated once? that's surprising, I thought you'd be the popular type in Korea. " Nayeon gets up and throws away what's left of her ice cream, then grabs a wet napkin from her bag and wipes her hand. When she doesn't hear Dahyun's reply she turns around only to see the younger one with a troubled expression.

" Hey... what's wrong? "

 

 

 

 

 

(Dahyun ends up telling Nayeon all about her experience in dating with Chaeyoung. The older only offered a warm hug, but that was enough for her.

She thought that after one year she would've moved on, but even only thinking about her, hearing her name, seeing something that reminded Dahyun of her... it hurt.

" Maybe it's because you've never had a proper 'ending' so your heart is still holding on the idea of the two of you " is what Nayeon had told her, and maybe it was that. Would she really never be able to move on unless she confronts Chaeyoung? Did she actually want to move on?)

Dahyun grabs the phone and opens up the gallery, she never erased all the Chaeyoung related photos, they were all in a separate folder that she could not delete.

" My baby lion... did you actually lose your memory? And if you didn't... do you hate me with all your heart now? " she tears up thinking about it and turns off the phone before tossing it in the bed and slumping on it herself.

She closes her eyes and goes to sleep, and dreams of Chaeyoung. She hadn't dreamt of her in a while.

It was like Chaeyoung never went away: Dahyun woke up to find the younger cuddled up next to her, and she could smell her strong yet gentle perfume enveloping all her senses. She took the girl in a museum and watched how the latter would be in awe while looking at the paintings, then she turned around and smiled showing her dimples, making Dahyun feel like the happiest girl in the world.

But then she woke up, and Chaeyoung was not there. Only the coldness and loneliness that took over her once again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Two years pass in a blink of an eye, Nayeon and Dahyun went back to Korea together and transferred in a house alone. They did a bit of changing so that the living room where you first walked into transformed in a proper pastry shop, since they chose a rather populated area, business was above average too.

The first costumers they ever had, though, were Dahyun's crew.

( After they bought the house, Jihyo, Sana, Tzuyu and Eunbi visited them. The crew had never met Nayeon so there was a bit of a misunderstanding at first.

" So... umh... you two are... " Jihyo starts trying to sound delicate on the matter.

Nayeon and Dahyun look at each other and laugh wholeheartedly. " No, no. We're just friends, bestfriends, you can even say sisters. " Dahyun denies.

" Hey, I'm your sister. Don't replace me like that. " Jihyo pouted.

" Right. Anyways, we're going to bake a cake, tell me what you guys think! " Dahyun drags Nayeon into the kitchen while the others sit in what Nayeon named 'an excuse of a sofa'. 40 minutes and they comeback with an apple cake, not too fancy since there were not many cooking tools yet.

" THIS IS SO GOOD! " Sana exclaims while covering , feeling touched.

" It really is, damn Dahyun I knew you were a good good but this... and you too of course Nayeon. " Jihyo nods in approval.

Tzuyu and Eunbi on the other side were just happily gulping down the cake.)

They named the pastry shop Dayeon, Dahyun found it stupid at first but Nayeon insisted and eventually the younger gave in and started liking it too.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

" Thank you mam. " Dahyun bows after one of the usual costumers come in.

" It's okay, your cakes are the best in the whole town. I make sure to buy one whenever my grandkids finish it. " she giggles before going out.

" Phew, that sort of compliment makes one feel really good. " Dahyun proudly smiles while Nayeon comes out of the kitchen with a new cake that carefully puts on display.

" You know, I didn't think we'd do this good. I mean, we even have usual costumers! " the older gets up after setting the cake and smiles. " Maybe one day we'll even be able to open up a chain of pastry shops! "

" Maybe. " Dahyun smiles back at the older girl.

" Oh, by the way, did your favorite costumer come today? " the older smirks.

" H-huh? "

" You know, that girl who has been coming here since... a month? "

" I don't know what you're talking about... " the younger pouts and looks outside the window's shop.

" please, the girl with medium length brownish chocolate like hair? the one who always gets the recommendation of the day? gummy smile? the one who keeps giving you looks? and is disappointed whenever I'm in the counter and not you? "

" Okay fine, didn't see her today. "

Nayeon sighs and walks up beside Dahyun. " Are you still... entangled to that? "

" N-no... yes... I don't know... "

" Goddamn Dahyun, it's been 3 years. TRY.TO.SEE.SOMEONE. "

" It's not that easy! You think I never tried?! I thought I liked you for example but it turns out it's nothing like that. Or when people start taking interest in me I see Chaeyoung in my mind telling me that I betrayed her... " Dahyun starts tearing up and ruffles her hair.

" Hey guys! We-... what's going on here? " Sana barged in with Tzuyu behind.

" ...nothing, don't worry... " Nayeon smiles " So, you? "

" Ok... We wanted to invite you to a disco night, Tzuyu's model friend will be there too. But Jihyo can't come she has a shift. " Sana jumps up and down enthusiastically

" Since when were you a model? " Dahyun's face lit up as she stares at Tzuyu.

" A week... "

" Is that so? Congratulations! I knew you'd end up getting casted with a body like that! Oh and... for the party, I think I'll pas- "

" We're both going. " Nayeon smiles and grabs both of Sana hands as they jump around together.

" Huh? Not me I'm- "

" We.are.both.going. " the older turns around and looks at Dahyun with what the latter calls Nayeon's evil smile.

In the end, she gives in, thinking it could not be that bad. First, she likes the EDM music they play at the disco and second, she needs a bit of fun after all the work.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It's 11pm, Sana comes to pick up the two and they soon get to the disco.

" Where are your friends? " asks Dahyun.

" They're waiting for us inside, we have our own corner reserved. " replies Tzuyu.

" Ohh, celebrities. " Nayeon smirks at the idea.

They go inside, the place is rathe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter