It's not the same anymore

Unforgettable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She made me feel that warmth again.

 

Mina's flashback.

A bad day at work, we all have them, either your boss scolded you because of a mistake or you're dealing with frustrating customers that you still have to smile at and help because that's your job. Mina is not the type to get into fights and lose patience, so when a guy over the phone gets into her nerves it's a miracle she didn't hang up on his face.

Working at a videogame company is pretty fun, sometimes it's not like work because you just enjoy spending time with your collegues and share the same interest with the customers that come and ask you for informations. Sometimes you even get to play the games before the actual release date since the company wants to test how it can work with different type of people.

Mina could say that she enjoys her job a lot, it's still hard because you have stand on you heels a lot of time so she gets back-aches easily, and sometimes crazy hardcore fans hang out outside of the building and come inside trying to sneak around, and it's tiring.

Oh but today's guy, the one on the phone, he was able to almost unleash the inner bad side of Mina, this girl wasn't the type to curse but that guy? She just wanted her to. Thankfully, a job is a job and instead of sounding unprofessional she passed the line over to the head receptionist.

After dealing with someone like that, Mina thought of treating herself some sweets and as she strolled around with her car she found a newly opened shop that she had never seen before. The outer design was cute and when she took a peek inside the cakes looked super yummy, basically the perfect shop. As she made her way inside she was immediately greeted with a bright voice "Welcome!" which takes her aback but once she looks at the source of the voice she sees a girl with her hair up in a ponytail and a warm welcoming smile. It felt pretty nice seeing a 'genuine' one like that.

" Hello... " Mina makes her way to the counter while slowly looking around again.

" What can I get you mam? " 

" I... would like... umh... what's a good one? " she knew she sounded stupid but somehow the staring eyes of the girl made her a bit nervous, maybe that's how some of her costumers felt like when she stared too much at them.

" You could get our recommendation of the day! " the girl points her hand at a banana flavoured cake with some cute design over it, and when you look at it closer the effor put in the cake can be clearly seen.

" Then, I'll take that. " Mina nods.

" Eat here or take away? " She slices a piece of cake and looks up making eye contact once again.

" I'll... eat it at home. "

" Ok! Then it's 3000 won. " the girl wraps the cake up nicely in a box before handing it over.

" Here you go. " she pays up and grabs the cake box.

" Thank you so much, come again! " the girl bows and smiles Mina bows at the girl before making her way outside.

Mina finds herself coming back to the shop more times than she actually thought, using bad customers as an excuse to come there at least twice a week to see the cute girl. You'd think that in that spawn of time she'd be able to catch her name or even have short convo about the how you do's but no, all they exchanged was a "welcome, recommendation of the day, thank you, have a nice day " but it was enough for Mina. One thing she would always admire is the girl's hair, everytime it would change, sometimes she had a high ponytails, sometimes cute pigtails, a bun, or pucca styled hair, it was like her hair had her own fashion show which she found super adorable.

Once she catches her name though, Mina is not happy about it, Dahyun, that's right, but who's that girl? a bunny toothed girl was in the counter instead and yelled her crush's name like her dear life depended on it, once Mina sees the sole reason she's been coming to this shop making her way inside from what she assumed was the kitchen, she was partly glad she finally knew her name and partially... upset because of all the skinship she did with the other girl who was named Nayeon.

Were they girlfriends? Whenever she came back and that Nayeon girl was there, she would hug Dahyun from behind and do all sort of clingy flirtatious things, sometimes Dahyun would push her away laughing and sometime she would just let her do. Aside from that, Mina was pretty content too, whenever Dahyun was at the counter she didn't say "what can I get you" anymore but " the usual? " which made her feel pretty aknowledged, she was a certified usual costumer.

When Mina finally has the conversation she so wanted, it's the most casual way possible. She was out with some collegues for a disco and there she was. Mina was feeling pretty chill and decided to postpone going to dance and have a drink instead when she sees someone a few sit away plop down and it didn't take that long for her to recognize who she was. Dahyun kept drinking and Mina kept (creepingly) staring at her, though avoiding eye contact whenever the latter would turn around because she probably felt her presence. So, once the alcohol hits and she's at point where "you only live once" and "she's so cute" is all going on through her head when the subject of her interest turns around and stares at her confused (probably trying to figure out who she was) this time she keeps the eye contact even though deep down she wanted to die cause just Dahyun's eyes boring holes through her made her feel weak. 

Thankfully it turns out that the interest was not one sided as Dahyun asks for her number, and Mina wanted to scream into that tiny bathroom because she confirmed that that Nayeon girl was firstly not her girlfriend and that the latter remembering her AND asking for her number must mean something! So, when days passes and the so awaited text doesn't come, Mina's pride is a bit hurt. She wanted to go to the shop and ask but at the same time she wondered if would too clingy, the two were barely at a worker - costumer relationship yesterday after all... but ultimately, her feet end up in front of the damn shop and once they're inside she caughts a glimpse of a surprised Kim Dahyun with her oh so pretty (nervous) smile.

She learns all about 'Chaeyoung', and knows that she should feel jealous but instead in a way that made her like Dahyun more, because Loving someone for that look was a really big commitment, and deep down Mina wished that someday she'd be the subject of all of that affection. Which, does happen, for a bit. They "go for a coffee" whenever the occasion permits it, and what before were simple greeting change into straight up long convos about life and interest and lowkey flirts.

Dahyun becomes her little sunshine. Instead of going to her shop and eating cakes when a bad costumer comes, now she has a Kim Dahyun who is able to make her smile with so little effort that it baffles Mina. How did the younger girl have so much impact on her?  how was she able to make her so incredibly fond of her? Mina had been in love a few times, but it was the first time she had been love struck at fist sight and felt so damn comfortable with someone, it just felt right. Having Dahyun by her side, regardless of being officialy girlfriends or not, it felt right, like when all the all the pieces fit the puzzle.

So, when the latter decides to stop it all because Chaeyoung showed up, Mina feels like her whole world just crumbled, she was so sure that the feelings she had for the younger reached her, but they didn't. They stop meeting, they stop texting, Mina doesn't even drive by the shop because every sole memory of Dahyun made it hard for her to breath. But this was fine, because her little sunshine was going to be happy, because Dahyun's happiness and smile was enough for Mina to feel like she made the right choice, because she hated how she even for one second was able to make Dahyun sad when they had to bid goodbye.

After all, Mina would fall in love with someone else... right?

End of Mina's flashback

 

 

 

 

 

" Chaeyoung? " the girl repeats once again, startled, confused and her hands slowly going from the ground to Dahyun's shoulder " what do you mean? hey? is that my real name?! "

Dahyun keeps silent, only a gulp escapes as she diverts her eyes anywhere but looking into Chaeyoung's.

" ANSWER ME! " she yells, earning the stare and looks from the people around, Dahyun had to thank god there were only a few and this place wasn't crowded.

" Before that... please get off of me, you're kinda making it hard for me to breath. " says Dahyun, and Nana looks down and sees their position before quickly getting up and becoming red.

" I guess this was going to happen eventually huh... " 

Chaeyoung calls home, informing her parents that she would stay overnight at a friend's house. They walk home in silence, while Dahyun contemplates what to say and what to leave out and the younger of two keeps mumbling her own name to try and remember anything that comes to mind.

Once they reach home, Dahyun sees a note left by Nayeon saying that she would have a pijama party with Jeongyeon, Momo and Chungha at the Yoo's house, perfect timing, the older girl being at home would just complicate things since she's full on team Myoui Mina.

Chaeyoung awkwardly sits on the sofa and Dahyun grabs them both a can of beer because honestly, Dahyun could take anything that would help her say anything to who has been the love of her life for the longest time. 

" So.... my name is Chaeyoung? " the younger fiddles with the can, not looking at Dahyun.

" Yes... Son Chaeyoung. " Dahyun sighs and opens the can while gulping down a bit of it.

" And... my parents? "

" Ok umh... the reason why you lost your memories in the first place, as you know is because you had an accident, a car one to be precise. You were on a trip with your parents when... it all happened and... they... d-didn't make it. "

" Oh. " Chaeyoung as a O shape while slowling nodding and closing to bite her lip. " anything else you know about me...? Well, the old me... like... what I liked, did I have a boyfriend... also, what are we? best friends, childhood friends, just friends? "

Dahyun gulps " You really liked art, so much that you were considering being an artist. Oh, and also strawberries that's why I was surprised when I saw that your taste didn't change. And we... the two of us... were sort of like bestfriends. "

" I see! Ok... " the younger starts thinking " ... still can't remember anything. It's not going to be that easy huh. " a bitter smile is plastered all over her face, how frustrating must it be to want to remember but your mind won't collaborate with you.

" Mhh... I know that I keep bothering you but... would you mind taking me places we used to go to? "

" Actually... we went into one of those places today. " Dahyun chuckles " I wanted to make you remember without me having to say anything but it seems like the plan backfired me. "

" Hey umh, do you have a photo of us? I want to see how I looked like. "

" I'm afraid I don't, I changed phones and my old sd card is back at my parent's apartment. " Lie, there were waaay to many photos of them, but between them cuddling, kissing and all those couple photos there was nothing Dahyun could show her. Chaeyoung lets out an okay before looking down disappoined at her can once again.

" Ok, tell you what. Let's go to sleep I'll bring you somewhere tomorrow. "

 

 

 

 

 

Dahyun slept better than she thought she would, having Chaeyoung over AND on the same bed as her wasn't exactly the brightest idea, but she could hug her all she wanted because friends do that too, and oh, how she missed her fragrance. She might have changed perfume but Chaeyoung still smelled like... Chaeyoung. You know how your skin has a body fragrance of its own, and her 'ex' had this babyish addictive one that sort of calmed Dahyun down (thank to it she was able to sleep).

It's morning and the sunlight started creeping up on her face as she's the first one to wake up, meanwhile Chaeyoung who was facing her had the sunlight on her back. Dahyun took a moment to admire those features that she used to look at almost everyday. That cute mole on her lower lip that she would always kiss, her plump and oh so kissable lips, her long eye lashes and those piercing yet gentle eyes that used to only look at her. She missed this, she missed waking up beside the love of her life, she missed morning stinky breath kisses, she missed lazy cuddles because they were both still sleepy, she missed the tickle fights because none of the two would get up, she... she missed Chaeyoung. And she was finally there, without memories, but she was there.

" What are you doing Kim Dahyun... "  Dahyun whispers to herself, then she grab a pillow to hit Chaeyoung lightly " wake up sleepy head! "

" Nghh... a bit more... " Chaeyoung opens one eye slightly and sees that it's 6 am " why are you even up so early... "

" I have work to do. I'll get ready, once you're up come down and have breakfast. " Dahyun gets up, thankfully today Nayeon was the one in charge of opening up the shop and making the morning preps.

" ...kay. "

After going downstairs she's greeted by the pleasing smell of freshly baked bread and an Im Nayeon really focused on her decorating. Nayeon is super clumsy in her daily life, sometimes she even seemed like the younger of the two, but whenever she was at the kitchen her personality does a 360 and this side of her is why Dahyun crushed on the girl when they were in France (plus, Nayeon is cute. No, really extremely pretty).

" 'morning. "

" Hey, why are you so late? Usually you'd  be up before me even if it's my turn. " Nayeon looks up and giggles before going back to her cake again.

" I... have someone in my bed. "

Nayeon drops the cute sculture she just made with sugar (which almost breaks) and looks at Dahyun in disbelief " WHAT? ...who?? Mina!? " she smiles happily but once the younger answers it slowly disappears into a forced smile.

" ...Chaeyoung, but... we didn't do anything it was just literally... sleeping together. "

" So... does she remember? are you two back together? "

" No, she just knows her name because I blurted it out on panic, other than that nothing. "

" Ok... so what is your plan now? "

" I'm still going to try to make her remember herself. But Nayeon... I think I'm weird, I don't want her to remember the part were the two of us were a thing... Is it because I'm afraid of confronting her and all the broken promises? What would I do when she'll tell me I didn't fight for her... I... "

The older sighs and puts a hand over Dahyun's shoulder " I've been pretty open about how I think Mina did good for you and I want to think that your feelings for her also have to do with this... Good luck kid, you're going to need it. Now, let's go back to work. "

 

 

 

 

If Dahyun was going to make Chaeyoung remember anything, then the best way to do it was to take her to the one place Chaeyoung loved the most. It was a place where Dahyun felt like shooting herself because of how bored it could get, but the younger would be enchanted as she strolled through the different hallways. A museum.

" A museum? " she snorts " really? "

" I told you before, you were an artsy person. Maybe the artist inside of you will awaken if I make you see your favourite museum. "

It wasn't an historical or famous museum with equally as famous paintings/sculptures. It was a plain simple museum with aesthetic written all over it, but the best part is that actually one of Chaeyoung's paitings was hanging in one of the rooms. Chaeyoung had casually sent in because Dahyun had forced her to for the museum competition, and surprisingly it got the 3rd place and the girl even won money.

" These actually look pretty good... " says the younger while looking around.

" You didn't like these back then. " Dahyun remembers how the latter had lowkey insulted those for being 'too common' and 'no emotion what so all'. But here she was now as Nana liking them and totally ignoring the ones she used to fawn over before.

" I didn't? Oh... what about this one? This is... beautiful. " She nods and Dahyun gets a bit surprised, either she didn't realize or damn her past self was still somewhere in there to make her seem like a narcissist admiring her own painting.

" ...who made it Nana? "

" It says... Son Chaeyoung- ... wait, what? "she turns around and looks at the older girl with wide open eyes. " I made this...?! "

The painting was a casual portrait of a girl playing the piano, a black background that made whoever was watching it focus only on the girl with long wavy hair, her face not shown, only her back. The details of the delicate white fingers placed on the wood piano which made vines with flowers come out instead of notes. It didn't take two looks to guess that the portrait about Dahyun.

" This is you right? "

" Yes. We used to hang out a lot after school and one time while I was playing the piano you sketched this and then I forced you to paint it because I knew it could turn out really good. "

" ... Il suono della mia preziosa fanciulla... what language is this? Why did I gave this such a weird title " Chaeyoung snorts.

" It's italian, if I'm not wrong it meant something like The sound of my precious maiden "

" I must have really been in love with you to paint this so beautifully. Are you sure we were only bestfriends? " the younger turns around and  sticks her tongue out playfully.

Dahyun laughs nervously " Well you did love me a lot. "

" Oh, so you didn't? " the younger fakes crying and Dahyun lightly punches her shoulder.

" Let's keep going. "

 

 

 

 

 

A week after, Dahyun decides to take Chaeyoung to a mall they used to go every time they had the possibility to, they would usually go around to windows shop and then stop by the arcade to play a bit before going to that tiny space called karaoke booth and sing their heart out, it was their go to thing because afterwards nothing felt better than a cold bubble tea.

" I went here already, with my sisters... " Chaeyoung stops walking when she sees the large mall in front of her.

" Really? But, not with me right? Maybe if we do all the stuff we used to here then maybe...? " 

" Alright fine... " 

There are lots of things that changed about Chaeyoung, the younger girl was not the best basketball player so whenever they played it at the arcade Dahyun would always win and get a wish as a price, but this time the younger easily manages to make a high score. Then, it's time for DDR where Chaeng was probably the best player of the arcade (that's why CHG was top 5 in most of the song rankings), but now the girl could barely hit any notes on normal mode.

Dahyun pants and proudly laughs out loud " Ha. Ha. Ha. "

Chaeyoung, who was equally tired still had her hands on her knees while looking at the older with a pout " That's not fair I never played this. "

" You used to be the champ though, look at that CHG, it stands for CHaeyounG "

" Well, you'd think my body will remember while my mind doesn't... I guess not. " the younger has a bitter smile on her face.

" ...how about some karaoke? maybe singing our songs will make you remember! " Dahyun drags the girl to the tiny space called karaoke booth, it was small enough for 2 people (maybe 3) and it was usually filled with students who sang at the top of their lungs to let out the stress from school. 

" What were 'our' songs? "

" First of all, Big Bang's Haru Haru. " Dahyun scrolls through the songs before deciding to just type the title in the search bar.  The two of them had several songs that they MUST sing whenever they're together and with a karaoke machine in front of them, one of the being this and the other two Yoon Mirae's Black Happines

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter