♔ 05

The Crimson Circle

 

 

 

After the incident with the baker’s wife, the two girls stay away from the market. Instead, they manage to scramble together some extra money by doing favors for people they’re already acquainted with. Delivering goods and packages and feeding livestock, for instance. It was best to keep a low profile.

 

It’s one particularly stormy night, too miserable to go out and try to scavenge for coin when the letter arrives. Sola sits in front of the fireplace with Ria napping next to her, head in her lap. She’s running her fingers through the younger’s hair, dreaming of giving her the life she deserves when there’s a loud knock at the door.

 

She tenses up immediately. Still silence follows, save for the sound of wind and rain and the crackling of embers. The knock sounds again, louder this time. She gently moves Ria to the bed they shared and picks up the musket they kept hidden behind the door with shaking hands.

 

A loud crack and the door swings open wide on its hinges as she sweeps the musket left and right, squinting through the driving rain for an intruder. She’s surprised to see no one, only an envelope on the doorstep. It’s thick and heavy as she picks it up. The back of it is sealed with fresh red wax, a sophisticated seal stamped into the gooey substance. She carefully opens it.

 

They’ve never received a letter from the High Family before.




 

Dearest Sola,


 

I am writing to inform you that you and your dependent, Ms. Ria, are cordially invited to attend the annual masquerade ball hosted at our humble abode the evening of the full moon at the end of this month. Masks, gowns, and all other accommodations will be provided for you. We pleasantly await your arrival and hope you will be able to thoroughly enjoy yourselves.


 

Sincerely yours,

 

Viscount Lee Jaehwan


 

A crack of thunder is what rouses Ria from sleep, rubbing at her eyes tiredly. Sola stows the musket and goes to sit beside her back in front of the fire as she mulls over the words, her brows stitched together in confusion.

 

“What’s that?” she mumbles. Sola hands her the piece of parchment. Ria’s mouth falls open, all traces of sleepiness gone as she jolts upright, laughing breathlessly.

 

“We’re invited to a ball? Us?” she exclaims, “But how?

 

“I don’t know,” she replies honestly, completely flabbergasted.

 

There’s no way that this dance is open to the general public, probably the reason why she’s never heard of this masquerade in the first place, despite it being an annual event as stated. No doubt that only elites will be attending. No place for two poor girls.

 

“We’re going, aren’t we?” the younger asks. Sola bites her lip.

 

“I don’t know.” she repeats, “It could be dangerous, Ria. We don’t know who will be there.”

 

Ria whines. “Come on, Sola. Please. I’ll be careful, I won’t leave your side,” she emphasizes the letter by running a finger over a line of sleek handwriting, “it even says everything will be prepared for us! Can you imagine how beautiful we’ll look? We’ll be just like princesses!” she starts humming a tune and picks up her skirts to waltz around the room, giggling and looking so free and happy. Sola feels her heart sink through the floor. She at least deserves this.

 

“Alright, we’ll go.”

 

“Thank you, Sola! I promise this is going to be wonderful, you won’t regret it! Oh thank you, thank you!” Ria cries and tackles her into a hug.

“But! You have to promise me that we’ll leave the ball before dawn. We won’t stay all night.” Sola can’t help but laugh as well despite the serious, collected tone she’s trying to keep with her little one squealing and jumping all over her, “Is that understood?”

 

“Yes! Yes, anything! Thank you!”

 

--

 

The long awaited night arrives sooner than either of them could hope. Ria is a buzzing ball of energy as she continues to fuss about her hair in their broken mirror. Sola on the other hand, is much more anxious. Her stomach is bubbling with unease, weighing her down like led. Why would the High Family ever request their presence, at a ball of all places? What are their motives? Did they find out about her interaction with Hakyeon? Was he even safe, alive? She lets out a soft exhale of breath and tries to push those thoughts out of her mind. She will do her best to enjoy the night, even if it is all for Ria’s sake, she will put on a smile for her.

 

Three crisp knocks sound at the door.

 

“That must be them.”

 

Ria opens it and nearly faints at the sight. A gorgeous, sleek black carriage sits on their doorstep, pulled by two magnificent stallions, plumes of feathers and jewels covering their bridles. They snort and shake their heads in the chilly night air. Glistening ornaments and red glass lanterns adorn the four posts of the carriage, with lush satin curtains flowing ever so slightly around the cabin to create an aura of sophisticated privacy.

 

An attendant waits just beside it, wearing an eerily familiar ebony three piece suit. A mask accented with curling gold serpents and olive leaves sits upon his face. The pit of anxiety in Sola’s stomach deepens.

 

“Good evening, Sola.” purrs Wonshik. She doesn’t return his greeting. “Ah, you must be Lady Ria,” he says and turns his attention to her, “so lovely to make your acquaintance.” He takes her slender hand in his, not taking her eyes off of her as he brings it to his lips. She hears her breath catch.

 

“A lovely night for a masquerade, ladies.”

 

He helps the two of them into the carriage, a hand supporting them respectively on the small of the back to support them. A true gentleman. She notices the way Ria blushes at the touch and shoots her a look.

 

“What?” she mouths. Wonshik flashes her a smile and pulls the curtains shut. There’s an audible snap of reins before the carriage lurches forward with clipped hoofbeats.

 

“Remember what I said, alright? You are to behave yourself, Ria.” Sola presses in a whisper, though she’s sure Wonshik heard her with the way he’s chuckling outside.

 

“Yes, mom.” she teases. Sola slaps her playfully on the wrist.

 

“And no sweets,” Sola feels her lips twist into a grin.

 

They hear the party before they even arrive. Laughter and string music. The hoofbeats resonate over what she presumes to be cobblestone and the music and voices grow louder evermore. They come to a smooth halt before the carriage door opens.  

 

“After you, Lady Ria. Let’s make this a night to remember.”

 

She’s never been this close to the castle before. It’s strange being back in front of the fortress where she had been thrown into the dungeons weeks prior, seeing it all lit up in such a grand fanfare as this. Her neck already feels stiff with how she’s craning it to look at the extravagancy.

 

The pathway they had ridden up winds down and down the hilly mountainside, where she can see the twinkling lights of the town below. Surrounded by pine trees and gorgeous snow capped mountains. The air tastes like nothing she’s ever breathed before. So fresh and crisp. No ash or smell of decay.

 

Wonshik leads them up the stone steps and pushes open the grand wooden doors. Before the waves of chatter and ambience can reach them, the two girls are whisked away down the hall to a private chamber with several waiting female servants.

 

Powder and perfume puffs up in clouds as the attendants get to work p the girls. Corsets are laced, shoes are fitted and before they know it, they’ve been transformed from street urchins to high class wealth.

 

“Wow, they really were serious about the accommodations part.” Ria gasps with glee, surveying herself in the countless mirrors of the powder room.

 

Ria’s dress is stunning. Well fitted and eye catching, the color of wine spills over her body and billows at the waist. Lace falling over her chest and down the sleeves of her arms, showing just a hint of skin and leaving nothing to the imagination. Her own gown is similar in design. A bit more conservative with black lace and a jeweled neckline but dashing nonetheless. They’re handed their masks on the way out. Beautiful pieces with white contoured mesh that fit them like a second skin, almost too perfectly.   

 

After thanking the attendants and leaving the room, the two nearly lose each other in the ballroom. She’s never been in an area so big or so lavish. The sparkling chandelier hanging above them is immense, shining down on them with luminous, soft light. Marble pillars frame a staircase that goes up to a landing with even more masqueraders enjoying themselves. Tapestries, exquisite oil paintings, murals and statues, it’s enough to feast her eyes on the interior alone.

 

Around them, partners twirl and waltz to the haunting melody. The theme tonight seems to be something of the similar color scheme they’re wearing. Dresses, ties, masks, and suit lapels all accented with either white, black, or red. She’ll have to remember that to make it easier to find Ria later tonight. Spectators watch from the sides or lounge by the countless tables of refreshments. Even the orchestra have kept their identities hidden.

 

A sudden hand on her shoulder surprises her.

 

“Sola, so wonderful to see you.”

 

She turns to see Hakyeon adorned with a crimson mask, looking handsome as ever. Her pulse skyrockets at the sight of the second dungeon vampire roaming free.

 

“What’re you doing here?” she gasps. She whips her head around, trying to locate Ria. She had thought the Viscount had a strange sense of humor at seeing Wonshik coming to them, but this was definitely a stretch.

 

“Careful. I’d keep that pulse down or you’ll excite half of the attendants,” he murmurs into her ear as he steers her by the elbow. To her horror, several masked men and women turn in their direction, all with the same identical collars lining their throats.

 

A ball of vampires.

 

“Don’t worry, my sweet. They aren’t stupid enough to hurt you here.” Hakyeon smiles and hands her a flute of champagne, “Cheers,” he clinks their glasses together. Sola stays frozen in utter shock and she hears the smirk in his voice.