♔10

The Crimson Circle

It breaks her heart to see Ria so torn. Still recovering of course, but she had been venturing on her own through the lair to get back on her feet. She had noticed it with Wonshik first.

 

His somewhat flirtatious playfulness with her had disappeared, his soft words in her ear and fleeting touches that she had seen at the masquerade now traded for skittish glances. She was behaving differently as well, spending almost all of her time with Sola than with anyone else.

 

“What's gotten into you two?” she had asked Ria one night in her bedroom. Ria shakes her head and looks down at her clasped hands in her lap.

 

“It was never meant to be,” she murmurs.

 

“What do you mean? It didn't take much to see what was going on between you two.”

 

She shakes her head again and this time meets Sola’s gaze, her words slow and methodical, almost like she's rehearsed them.

 

“He's dangerous, Sola. His kind all are. He’ll only end up hurting me,” she trails off. Sola frowns but doesn’t respond for fear of further breaking her heart.

 

--

 

Taekwoon likes to stay in the study and read, she realizes. In the downtime they have, she always sees him in the same spot whenever she passes by. He’s quiet and doesn’t move when she silently slips in to sit at the table with him, just turns the page like she hadn’t even entered the room at all.

 

She eventually works up the courage to speak to him, but before she can open Taekwoon shuts his book and places it face down on the table.

 

“You should really take Hakyeon’s advice and say what’s on your mind. Your aura is rather distracting.”

 

Her cheeks burn, words jumbling together as she stutters out an apology. Taekwoon’s eyes flick up, “You already have my attention, out with it,” he says.

 

Sola chews her lip. “I want to ask you about Wonshik, if that’s alright. You two seem very close.”

 

Taekwoon stays quiet, studying her and she takes this as a sign to continue. She draws in a deep breath.

 

“Ria has grown very fond of him, and for a time it seemed as though he felt the same way. Now, he seems distant and I’m afraid she may take it the wrong way,” she glances off to the side,  recalling details about Ria that have long been suppressed. “After her parents died, she closed herself off and became detached from the world. She’s never loved anyone since then.”

 

The vampire sits unmoving. “Wonshik still cares for her, if that’s what you’re getting at. It’s his way of keeping her safe.” Taekwoon replies. She feels her brows pinch together.

 

“The way he was turned was the most ruthless out of the others. While Jaehwan and Sanghyuk were attacked by strays, Hongbin seduced, and Hakyeon resurrected from the Contagion, Wonshik was turned by a former lover as revenge.”

 

“Her name was Rosa. He hadn’t known she was a vampire until it was too late. She was manipulative, cutting him off from loved ones until he was completely isolated and had no one to turn to. It was a parasitic relationship more than anything, she’d feed from him even when he’d try to resist. He wanted to leave her but she would threaten to kill his family if he did so, he had no choice but to stay.”

 

“Wonshik had had enough and left in the middle of the night despite the threats, to which she followed through on her end and slaughtered his sister right in front of him. As a final retaliation for disobeying, Rosa turned him as a way for them to be together for eternity. Her biggest mistake.”

 

“I’m not sure I can describe how Wonshik felt. Betrayal, anguish, confusion as to how someone he had once loved so dearly could cause him so much pain. He killed her the moment he regained his strength and went on a rampage through the entire kingdom,” Taekwoon’s voice turns grave when he looks to her, “You underestimate him. What you saw him do that night is only a fraction of what he’s truly capable of.”

 

Her chest tightens, finding it difficult to breathe with each new revelation of Wonshik. Before, she had seen him as just a hotheaded vampire that had the danger of going rogue, but now knew how deep and complicated his motives and layers of personality were.

 

“So, him keeping his distance from Ria should be no surprise to you now.”

 

Sola nods.

 

Wonshik is afraid he’ll become like Rosa.

 

“Thank you for telling me this,” she whispers, fidgeting with her hands, “I know it’s a very private matter to you. Is it alright if I let Ria know?”

 

Taekwoon nods slowly. “I’m sure it’s best if you did. Wonshik would want her to know he’s trying his best to change.”

 

--

 

The sands of time have flowed steadily, concealing the wounds that had riddled their bodies to leave behind pale scars and faint lines of echoed pain. They’ve healed to return to their natural mobility, allowing the girls to explore the rest of the expansive lair under Hakyeon’s guidance.

 

The nights have started to grow colder as autumn starts to decay with the bite of frost. Lighting the hearths are no longer an option, as the hideout could soon be compromised with smoke curling out from the streets above. Sola is pleased to find that the vampires are supplied with plenty of quilts and hot drink, making sure the two of them are well for the coming winter.

 

“I want to thank you for your hospitality,” Sola states as Hakyeon pushes a mug of steaming cider in her hand. He sits beside her, joined by Ria and Jaehwan, the others talking amongst themselves.

 

Hakyeon chuckles and adjusts the jacket of his suit. “That won’t be necessary,” he says. Sola looks into her drink, a feeling of debt gnawing at her insides.

 

“Then at least let us help you with your affairs with The High Family.”

 

The chatter in the room dies instantly and all pairs of eyes zero in on her. Even Hongbin glances up, a fiery look in his glare. Ria clears . The two had been talking it over in their private quarters for several days.

 

Even after Sola’s incident with the witchcraft accusation, the attacks, and all the tension and conflict between the humans and vampires, after everything they had gone through, destroying The High Family’s monarchy was the best option to end their reign of terror, for the kingdom citizens and their supernatural counterparts alike. They would do whatever was required of them to make sure the vampires that had saved their lives would soon walk free.

 

“It was your original plan, wasn’t it? Let us follow through on our end.” Ria adds. Hongbin snorts.

 

“What makes you think you two are so qualified?” he sneers and crosses his legs, folding his hands together smugly. Sola wants to fire back a witty quip but instead bites her tongue.

 

“If anyone were to draw less attention, it would be two paupers like us,” Sola responds and gestures to herself and Ria, “Two paupers that have all the intellect they would need, thanks to you, sire.”

 

Hongbin smirks at the compliment. “Noblewomen do tend to gush their darkest secrets after you’ve bedded them,” he says matter-of-factly to no one in particular. Sanghyuk seems to bristle beside him and his eyes lose focus, almost as if he’s detached himself from the conversation. Hakyeon notices this as well and brings the dialogue back to its main focus of politics.

 

“If you’re absolutely sure, we will welcome any help we can get. Though it seems we haven’t left you with much of a choice.”

 

Ria shakes her head. “It needs to be done, it would be an honor.”

 

“I ask too much of you,” Hakyeon sighs and purses his lips, “Very well. Jaehwan will explain the intimate details of the plan and we will do everything in our power to protect you.”

 

--

No matter what, Jaehwan tells them that The High Family must be killed. This makes Sola uneasy. After Hongbin had cornered her during the masquerade in the dressing quarters, she knew that such assassinations would only cause nobility to try and push the vampires further back into the caste, maybe go far as to spark a genocide.

 

After bringing up this point to the Viscount, he explains that the chance has to be taken. They had sat idly for generations, Jaehwan especially, his political power changing so little despite his previous status, watching their brethren endure abuse and enslavement. The deaths of the Queen and The Royal Daughters (The Triumvirate, as they were known) would open up a political vacuum, to which Jaehwan could install his trusted colleagues and representatives.

 

The dilemma between the nobles and their vampire slaves, (as well as the common folk and the bloodthirsty killers that they were brought up to fear) would obviously be rocky for sometime. However, Viscount Jaehwan and his officials had plans to open up borders to the surrounding kingdoms and ease tensions by encouraging involvement between the two parties. Those who coexisted peacefully with the vampires would be rewarded with a small inheritance, those who opposed would be free to leave the kingdom as they wished. Interestingly, any vampire caught attempting to harm a human would be collared in a similar manner as present and be banished to the northern isles.

 

Jaehwan’s eyes and ears inside the castle had informed him that the immediate chaos of the attacks had gradually died down after the masquerade as time had passed. Once things settled further, Hongbin, Taekwoon, and Sanghyuk are to return to the castle. Being obvious favorites among the ladies of the court, even The Triumvirate themselves, they would be welcomed back with open arms, not only for their personal pleasures, but to dispel any rumors of conflict.

 

What better way of showing the public your dominance over the vampire slaves than the pleasures of the flesh?

 

Wonshik and Hakyeon would return to their previous ranks as enforcement as well, however, this time with Sola and Ria in tow back to the castle dungeons. The girls would be portraying rebels and the men to stage an execution, an example of sorts to The High Family that they still maintain control and the vampires returning to their posts of obedient servants.

 

Wonshik and Hakyeon, the two most trained in their craft, would be at their backs the whole time. She feels a surge of confidence. That’s the moment when The High Family will be struck down for good.

 

Sola glances around the room. Electricity seems to crackle through the air at the stiff silence, fire burning in the eyes of the men.

 

“We can finally end this,” Sanghyuk swallows and for a moment, Sola thinks his gaze swims.

 

“If we play this right, maybe we can.” Replies Hakyeon.