♔ 11

The Crimson Circle

The plan is to be launched the eve of the full moon. Vampires could draw on their celestial powers during this window the best when they are strongest, Taekwoon had explained to her. Until then, the group would be able to lay low and get as much information as they can from the world above them.

 

Before that time comes, each individual must focus on their individual role. One wrong move could cause a domino effect and destroy the whole operation, or worse, their lives.

 

“It means a lot to my brothers and I that you’re doing this with us,” Jaehwan murmurs to her one night in the low light of the bedroom. He (and Hakyeon, of course) had developed this habit of coming to check up on the girls before they dropped off to sleep. Sola’s relationship with the Viscount had regressed back to her rather shy glances and blushing cheeks, thankful that he couldn’t see how red her face was in the muted candlelight, though he could no doubt hear her trembling heart.

 

She confirms this observation when she hears him chuckle and she curses to herself.

 

“Goodnight, Lady Sola. Sweet dreams.”

 

--

 

The next few weeks are rather uneventful in terms of action. Taekwoon practically sleeps in the study now with the huge volumes of books he’s been digesting piled next to him. He hardly says a word as she sits at the table, busying herself in the ancient runes lining the pages.

 

Jaehwan and Hakyeon whisper of politics and banter back and forth of recommended patriarchs and lords. Wonshik seems to throw himself into his own training, sparring with Hakyeon whenever time allowed. Ria and Sola are expected to study up on the lords and ladies of the court, specifically ones that Jaehwan has pointed out as possibly threatening for when they return to the castle. Because the Viscount was no longer human, distrust and fear had given rise to politically powerful enemies. The girls are to avoid them at all costs.

 

One quiet evening, they are doing just that. Ria, Sola, and Taekwoon sit at the table in the main room with Jaehwan's notes, books, and rolls of parchment littering the surface. Hakyeon and Jaehwan continue to further discuss and dissect the plan, working out every possible scenario that could throw off the whole operation.

 

There’s a sudden commotion as two figures enter the room. An eerily sedated looking Hongbin followed by Sanghyuk who seems nervous with dilated pupils and his head bowed, shuffling in behind his coven mate.

 

Taekwoon glances up from his reading material and whirls over to the two of them with movements too quick for her eyes.

 

“Where have you been?”

 

“Out,” Hongbin drawls. He laughs, his lips parting in a cheshire grin that turns Sola’s bones to ice. Something doesn't sit right with his behavior, she's never seen Hongbin act in such a disoriented manner, always one to fire back with a quip or a scoff. Taekwoon’s eyes narrow quickly.

 

“When the rest of us are preparing for what's to come?” Taekwoon hisses in annoyance. He looks between Hongbin and Hyuk, who still looks tense as ever, his gaze downcast to the floor.

Taekwoon’s jaw clenches, his imitating aura radiating tenfold as he pears into Hongbin’s face, pressing further for answers.

 

“You’ve been feeding, haven’t you?”

 

Hongbin smirks. “I was tired of waiting for Ria to die.”

 

There’s a great crash as Hongbin is thrown against the cobblestone wall of the catacombs. To her horror, the stone has caved from the impact and Hongbin struggles to get to his feet. Before he can, Taekwoon is upon him.

 

“You selfish hypocrite!” he roars. Quiet, collected Taekwoon yanks him up before slamming him again into the wall. Pieces of stone column crumble to the floor.

 

“You wouldn’t shut your mouth about us fighting back, and when we finally have a plan, you go off to hunt like nothing is at stake!” Hongbin’s head snaps to the side with a sick crack as Taekwoon recoils his fist and brings it into his jaw for a second time.

 

“And you bring Sanghyuk with you?!”

 

Wonshik is the first one to step in, or rather, the only one strong enough to restrain him. He grabs Taekwoon by the shoulder and just in time, stopping him mid-lunge. The two of them tumble to the ground and she can hear Taekwoon cursing.

 

“We’re all suffering, Hongbin,” he pants, chest heaving, “cooperate just this once if you finally want to be free.”

 

--

 

The girls are shaken to say the least. Sanghyuk had bolted into the tunnels soon after, Hakyeon hot on his heels to make sure he was alright. She had a feeling Sanghyuk had just been obedient in tagging along with Hongbin. She had seen a similar behavior in Ria as a child when she had gotten caught up in the activities of a group of rather mean village girls rather instead of facing alienation in standing up to them.

 

Sanghyuk was afraid.

 

To add to their troubles so soon before the next full moon, Ria falls ill with a strange fever. She had suddenly collapsed in the middle of the study, Taekwoon catching her just in time. She’s carried to the bedroom where he had originally nursed her back to health after the attack and the familiarity of the events nearly sends Sola into a fit.

 

Ria is burning to the touch with a thin sheen of sweat glossing her forehead. She’s coughing quite a bit too and the whole ordeal squeezes a hand of anxiety around Sola’s heart.

 

“Where’s Sola..” she murmurs with eyes closed, brows furrowed, to which she appears at Ria’s side in an instant.

 

“I’m right here, same as always,” Sola says and grapples for her hand. Her grip is vice-like. She looks to Hakyeon tending to her and the look in his eyes worries her. He places a wet towel on her forehead and Ria’s fingers slip through her own as he continues to treat her.

 

Wonshik ushers Sola outside the bedroom. “I think the best thing we can do is to keep an eye on her.” He tells her quietly. She makes a sound similar to a whine, pushing against him.

 

“No, I can’t leave her alone again.”

 

His hands find her waist and her resistance is futile, like shoving against a solid wall. He gently guides her away.

 

“Until we know what’s wrong, we can’t risk you catching whatever she has, do you understand?” His tone is stern. She nods.

 

“Alright, I’ll send Jaehwan out to keep you company.”

 

--

 

The full moon is approaching quickly and Ria still shows no sign of improvement. She spends her evenings in the study curled up by the fireplace, a familiar sense of loneliness seeping through her bones.

 

Hakyeon, Taekwoon, and Wonshik have been nursing Ria to no avail, her fever still burning up and skin clammy, ghostly pale. Hongbin and Sanghyuk are nowhere to be found, though Hakyeon forbade them to leave the catacombs, placing a binding spell on them both to always be aware of their whereabouts.

 

It’s a bit of a surprise when Jaehwan comes to sit beside her. He says nothing for a while and the two of them continue to gaze at the flames popping in the mantle.

 

“Tell me what’s on your mind,” he says finally. She feels his eyes on her and she does her best to keep her breathing even.

 

“I’m scared Ria isn’t going to recover,” she whispers. Tears sting her vision. “I know it’s the Contagion.”

 

“How can you be so sure?” he murmurs back. A dry laugh leaves .

 

“I’ve seen enough in my village to know the signs. Somehow, someway, I thought she would be safe.”

 

His hand ghosts over hers and he laces their fingers together. A sign of wordless comfort. She looks up to meet his eyes, grateful for his presence.

 

“Ria was so excited when we received your invitation for the ball. I don’t think I ever thanked you for that night.”

 

Jaehwan smiles softly. “It was my pleasure.”

 

She’s suddenly aware of his close proximity, how his beauty seems to radiate even more in the firelight.

 

“Does it hurt to die?” she whispers. He leans closer, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear.

 

“Like falling asleep,” he says. She lets out a breath and closes her eyes, his answer bringing her a sense of peace. “I don’t want her to suffer.”

 

He hums and his thumb idly traces circles on the back of her hand.

 

“You can feed,” Sola murmurs softly. At that, his gaze snaps to her with a look of surprise. “The full moon is soon, you’ll need your strength.” She finishes.

 

He shakes his head. “That’s none of your concern,”

 

She studies him, how he seems on edge, like every movement of his is calculated and controlled. As if holding something back.

 

He’s starving, she realizes. They all are, ever since they went into hiding.

 

She rolls up the sleeve of her nightgown and bares the pale skin of her forearm.

 

“I insist.”

 

He looks to her one last time before she nods and he brushes his lips to the pulse of her wrist. A quick flash of pain as his fangs penetrate her skin, subsiding when he gently the trails of crimson beeding down her arm.

 

It’s over in an instant, feathery kisses quickly closing up the puncture wounds and all evidence of his bite vanish.

 

He pulls back with a low sigh and presses a kiss to her forehead. “Thank you,”

 

--

 

The eve of the attack has finally arrived. She can sense the raw tension of excitement, fear, and nervousness throughout the coven as the vampires prepare for the following night.

 

With Hakyeon’s consent and direct monitoring, Sola provides each of them with a few mouthfuls of her blood. She notices Jaehwan exempts himself and instead stays at her side in case anything happens, a slight blush coloring her cheeks with the protective hand on her shoulder.

 

She had been the most uneasy for Hongbin and when his turn arrives she feels the two older vampires behind her stiffen up.

 

“Have some faith in me, boys.” He purrs, his touch lingering on her wrist before wiping a thumb across his blood-stained lips.

 

The effect of Sola’s blood is obvious on the vampires. More alert, quicker movements, and a buzzing bloodlust.

 

--

 

She visits Ria later that night in secret, stealing away after the others continue their own private preparations.

 

The sight of her alone is enough to make her eyes water.

 

Paler than the sheets she rests on, lips cracked and dry. Hakyeon had mentioned that she’s been unable to keep anything down, retching everything, even water, back up.

 

And then she sees the crimson ring lining . She falls to her knees by the bedside.

 

This was it.

 

Ria stirs awake with a wet cough and notices her presence. “Sola,” she gasps. Her brows furrow when she sees how visibly upset she is, a clammy hand coming up to cup her face.

 

“How are you feeling? Hakyeon says you’re getting better,” Sola says. The lie slips easily past her lips and Ria’s expression lights up instantly.

 

“Really? I do feel a bit better. I’m sorry I can’t come with tomorrow night, but I think it’s better that way.”

 

“You don’t need to apologize,” Sola soothes, “you just focus on getting back on your feet, alright?”

 

Ria nods timidly but flashes a smile. “Okay.”

 

She kisses her goodnight and exits the bedroom.

 

--

 

Sola feels lightheaded as they go over the plan a final time. Ria, of course, would be staying behind, which meant that Sola had to be extra careful going with Wonshik and Hakyeon alone. She was more worried about herself interfering and messing up the plan.

 

She swoons a bit and Wonshik notices right away, steading her against his side.

 

“She lost too much blood, we shouldn’t have agreed to feed from her,” Jaehwan huffs when she sinks to the floor and pillows her head against his chest.

 

“No, no. It’s not that,” she reassures them, “I-I’m not really sure what it is..” Everything starts to spin violently and she’s afraid she may lose her dinner right there on the floor.

 

Hakyeon appears beside him and the others give him room. The air is sweltering and she’s having trouble breathing properly, grateful when his cool hand is placed on her forehead.

 

“You visited Ria, didn’t you?” he whispers, quiet enough for only her to hear.

 

It’s not a question in the slightest and his eyes are heavy. She nods and that action enough feels cumbersome. In her selfishness of seeing her little one, she had completely disregarded how contagious the sickness was. Now, her and Ria were useless. Hakyeon and Wonshik couldn’t return to the castle empty handed.

 

She had sabotaged the plan before it had even started.

 

“What do we do?” Taekwoon’s voice is quiet. The room falls into a stiff silence, only broken by Sola’s breaths.

 

“Hakyeon, let me turn her. Let us save them.” Jaehwan murmurs. The energy between them all is suddenly electrifying and the coven leader shakes his head, eyes flashing dangerously.

 

“Absolutely not,” he grits his teeth.

 

“Why?” Wonshik growls, surprising them all, “You were resurrected from the Contagion, why shouldn’t they?” he stands quickly and the anger radiating off of him is palpable.

 

“I had no choice in my own matter,” Hakyeon snaps. He’s seething, Wonshik having obviously touched a nerve. “They’ll be saved if they’re turned, yes, but then what? They’ll be carted off to the castle and used for pleasure just like the rest of us were. Sanghyuk was barely older than them, for Christ’s sake. We can’t put them through that.”

 

“This choice doesn’t end tonight. Turning them will affect the rest of their lives. Are you ready to carry that burden?” Hongbin says with surprising softness. Jaehwan turns on him like a cornered dog.

 

“You think I don’t know that?”

 

“This is not up for discussion.” Hakyeon’s tone is clipped. Again, everything goes quiet.

 

It takes Sola a minute to find her voice. “Then we better hurry,” she says.

 


hello, everybody! As you can tell, I wrote a lot over my winter break. I am working on the last few chapters now (my bby is almost finished ;v;) so pls be on the lookout for that in the near future. As always, please comment your thoughts below! <3