Memories

Stammi Piu Vicino

There was nothing odd at that morning, all birds tweeting and flower bloom as it supposed to bloom on the summer heat. All the sun ray passed through our own room air sirculation and our window, we woke up to face another exacting day. Mother taught us that you could change tomorrow by how you face the early morning with smile. So, we did it every morning.

As usual, Hayi the latest that sat between us for breakfast she was our youngest and only sister. Hayi was the kid who did not talked much, but she could laugh on the usual jokes father told us every morning, Hayi laugh like it was fresh and never been told before.

We were adopted, Me and Mino but mom, Dad and Hayi never made us felt like stranger, even Dad, mino and I used to bully Hayi as a joke that was an act of love from us. You already knew how we were adopted from the orphan, Mom told us she was fell for my smile the first time I sold bread around her old neighbourhood in her birthtown. Around year after she adopted us, one night she came into our room and hugged us extramily tight that I was afraid my bone could turned to ash, she whispered in her usual cherful tone that we will have a sister and Father got his full company responsibility. We're moving.

Back at the usual morning, we were chit chatting about my problem how hard I studied those medical terms and really hard diagnosed. Mom cheered me with her gentle words and Dad told me that I was the boss. Mino also talked about his case, he just became newly professional lawyer after he graduated from collage. I supposed you were there when we celebrated it.

There was one thing that we did not talked on the table that morning. At least when Hayi was still around. It was Hayi's graduation surprised party. We knew that Hayi left early to collage every morning, we used to it was because of you, she just smiled and gone after that. We also knew that you wouldn't be there, Hayi did not talked much, but she was not a good liar she was upset 'a little' she declared, the reason why we need to do something that she was loved. Though she already knew.

It was finally the graduation day, I couldn't call you since you might already act in a theater I didn't know which. Hayi left early without any preperations, mom did liitle act that she might busy with charity appointment on that day. Father clearly busy, we barely did not see him for two days straight. There was something on company but father won't bother us to tell.

Finally all those medicine odor freed me, I smile as it didn't suffucoating me enymore. I decided to buy flowers on my way, Tulip; that's her favorite. On bus I rechieved a call, it was from my brother Mino. IMy smile turned into blank space, suddenly my thoughts are so much far away from where I sit : Home. I didn't know how to breath, my father just got arrested and my my Mother already on his office with my brother. I was told to pick Hayi not for celebrate her graduation, but for take her away as far as possible. I look at the tulips once again and I really hate my self for bringing such news in improper situations.

I saw Hayi sitting alone under the tree, he looked at me with such smile imprinted in her face. I couldn't smile at her, and I knew that she got something terrible in my face; her smile faded away. That news finally in her ears, she didn't cry, only sit as her legs gave out and looked space out. I hold her hands, it was cold, not for the weather but obviously of a nerve she affraid not to feel. What happened with her parents after this.

I couldn't get it how she could menage to see your performance. She was in love with you even she didn't tell. With the fake smile she shows you she cover her sadness very well. You just couldn't see her suitcase outside, after that she will move to her mother village for a while. That's why you only talked at her by her voice or message. She couldn't burden you with all.

::::::::::

The sweet guy back in his reality, his spacing out gaze turned into warm and comforting self again. The other guy, Jung Jaewon looked pretty serious. They fall deep into silence, the hospital atmosphere is always chilly, at that night they recall all the cold past they should reveal in that place, such irony.

It was like setting up tha no one wonder around, did Yunhyung swam into past to far that he did not realize that everyone had gone? Or he just too overwhelmed by the memory of his loving person face? He loves his parents too much, everyone around him could tell.

Jaewon in front of him took a deep sigh and rest his tense back on the chair, now he was the one who was spacing out. He was not there anymore, Yunhyung was ready to continue his story but Jaewon open his mouth and start talking.

::::::::

I remember that day pretty clearly, I just talked to her talking about stuff, because it feels odd if I did not, it became a habit you know; report every single thing I experienced in a day, sometimes she just listen at my complaint at every single thing and sometimes told me to control my tamper. I got used to her, her present her voice. She was not talkative girl like everyone else, but she was the bravest girl I know she stands of what is right: it makes me admire her, but who knows time water this feeling to grow. That day I had role again in a small theatre, I wanted to meet her but she always said she was busy with her study, I hung the phone little bit pissed, she always there whatched every single role I played but it was one month already that I did not see her face and it bothers me a lot. There were several thoughts on my head includingall the negatives thought.

My phone rang again, and I smiled all of sudden that I thought it was her again. But it was from agency wanted to contract me and maybe I fogot to blink or maybe I forgot to breath because the only thing I remember was her, I want to tell her so bad about this news that with a flash of move I grabbed my coat and drive to her house to give her surprised but I was the one who surprised to found that housed was locked and on the fence it written that this house and all the property was taken by some cocompany name -That I too shocked to care what is the name- . My poor Hayi my dear, why she did not tell me such things.

I lay on my small room thinking all possibility, I stare my faded white wall with so much questions I found out that her father was found guilty with all cover up papers, I refuse to say corruption Hayi was raised and educated by that man, and Hayi showed me the meaning of kindness and gratitude I can belief that man do such things. I suddenly filled by offense feeling. I got offended. Who am I to Hayi that she did not tell me such tragedy to me, she was part of my life and I told everything what makes me pleased what makes me sad but she did not tell me everything about this at all, but I could not hold though I waited that she will told me, I could not hold. I called her.

She answered the phone so quick, 'ah she must study so hard that she did not sleep yet' the voice was sturdy not a single tone was loosen. What a strong girl.

'Hayi, I just visited your house.'

It was silence: none of us speak, I heard her sob she clearly still hold her tears, very stubborn girl.

'Hayi, what am I to you? I told you everday what pissed me off what makes me sad, because you are matter to me and you are part of my life. A tragedy just happened to you and you did not tell me a single thing,i busy telling you with my life i feel so much disgusted right now isthat how you want me to feel?'

::::::::

"I couldn't belief you scold her." Yunhyung voice cutted Jaewon off and Jaewon looked at him dosbelief.

"Can you at least let me finish?" Yunhyung noded and apologize.

::::::::

She keep silence at that night and she stared sobbing hard, I wanted to be there but I did not know where she was. That was the first time I heard her cry. We fixed everything and all the misunderstanding that night. Hayi told me about this that when we had misunderstatement we should talked about what we feel and our perspective rather than had argument that we ended yell each other.

I told her everything is going to be alright but both she and I knew those words only a couragment words that we don't know how to make sure of it, I told her that I trusted her father and both of us agree in silence.

It was very contrast with Hayi that my life went too well for me. I was longing for her presence so much but company doesn't allow me to do things that unpleasant to them, meet my girlfriend obviously made them think that my focus will shaken. They just didn't know that the only person that make me stand on they strict rules was her.

Months later they called me for small role in dramas, I appear for about four or five times on whole episodes, but each time gets better the offer continuously coming but I had plan, I plan my life so I decided to go to army and my company approved it. So I served in the army and send leters to Hayi almost everyday.

The day I have been waiting for finally came: I got discharged from army. It was night but I feel so much bright. I couldn't bear my smile, everything I saw was beautiful. My company picked me but I told them to go to a place, to meet someone I am longing to see. I did not tell, they thought I want to meet my mother so thy drive at place Hayi written on her later.

I don't understand why disaster always follow my step when it came to her my heart was aching, I couldn't feel anything but pain on my chest everything was so heavy suddenly my vision was blur, the girl I have been missing this whole years was kissing someone else in front of me. I turned around, kick everything I see. I entered the car very cold. My smile has gone, I heard them asked several questions about my mother faintly. I pretend to get sleepy and tired. Tomorrow there was plenty role to sign, enough role to make me forgot and to make me famous.

::::::::::

The hospital light back to Jaewon vision he waited the reaction of someone sit in front of her. He need to make him understand that he did nothing wrong, that all his rage was because of her betrayal that she started all this mess. Confidence suddenly disappeared on Jaewon face when he saw Yunhyung shook her head. He leand forward and pursed his eyebrows he heard Yunhyung sigh so loud.

"You should really learn how to control your tamper." Finally Yunghyung spoke with disbelief look. "I was there you know. I saw your shock face and want you to explain everything but at that time she needed help."

:::::::::

I checked on my phone over and over again at that night Hayi did not show up yet at this hour and she did not answer thousands call I had. I worry to my bone that I waited her on the outside. Hours of waiting finally she show up she was staggering and somebody had to hold her tight to prevent her sleep on the road. She completely lost her sense you know that she could not tolerate alcohol but his friend -the one she kissed- said it was countless bottles when she decided to go home.

They stopped I came to her and I heard her say something, 'Oh, Jaewon you have came?' and kissed her friend. If you called it kiss because it was just lips met each other. I saw you got closer and frozen in your place and run. I wanted to run after you but Hayi was wrecked. She almost fall down so I took her inside and thank her friend.

In her sleep she just mantion three people, Mother, Father and you. She must thought her friend was you. Hayi was my sister although we came from different womb she still my sister and I love her so much more than anything in this world. Father raised us to protect, respect women, my mother and my sister were the women of my life and I couldn't do anything to protect them and you said that I will suppose to understand your feeling.

She was lonely. Brother busy with all the cases and I busy with my study all her friend lived their life. She was hanging in there, I actually thank that guy to be there when she needed drinking buddy because everyone was so 'Busy' with life forget that Hayi never 'busy when they need her.

::::::::

That place just like investigation room now, when everyone tense and silence and talk and silence again. Jaewon shown his face the suspect that just been cornered. He keep silence, Yunhyung couldn't tell what was he thought.

"Have you seen The Vow movie?" Asked Yunhyung conventionality

"Never had time." The tone of his voice so cold that it will turned everything in there froze. He confused why suddenly Yunhyung asked about something unrelated at all.

"Sometimes you have to ascape reality you know, with those kind of stuff. Makes you less stress, makes you learned."

"I had plenty role and different characters, tell me about it." He got the point, he had to play several characters that it was not him that made him escape reality too often, in fact it was made him distracted of all his broken heart. He might full of himself but a very talented actor.

"The movie told about Rachel McAdamd's father having affair with her besfriend, but her mother forgive her. Why? She said she couldn't just let him go by one single mistake he took. Over all the happy memories that happened for the family they built together. That is love Jaewon.

You let al the rage you shouldn't feel inside you grow by a mistake that happened by unfortunate tragedy. That is why you always want to blow up ever single time."

Silence again, they turned this situation into boring movie but in contrast the atmosphere could make a flower pale. Jaewon had mixed feelings right now he couldn't really tell what he had been through everything projected so fast in his mind. He ready to open his mouth and a person interrupted them: Song Mino appeared with messy shirt and loosen Tie.

"What are you guys doing here? Oh, what with this atmosphere you guys did not fight in mind right now right? Who's at Hayi's room then if you all here?"

They went to Hayi's room to checked her condition only to find her infus needle losen without a hand where it should be placed. They opened their mouth none of them talking and look each other for an answer but looked like three of them as dumbfounded as everyone, she was missing.

Then a tall figured apeared with plastic bag, he used mask and hat. Jaewon familiar with that fashion; a cove up.

"Where is she?" He asked like everyone knew where she was.

"What are you doing here? Choi Junhong?"

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::