A Peek From Past

Stammi Piu Vicino

They were in Airport when all the fuss was approaching. One step two steps, everything follow by the lenses. That day Jaewon wear casual jeans with thick jumper and black and white vans, fall was in the air and winter soon approaching. He stepped out from the car and bow to the paparazzi who was waiting for him. His act made all the reporters went due for a while, then continue to take pictures. Jaweon never this polite before. In the back there was little girl whispering something. ‘You’ve promised, you’ve promised’ she never stop. After Jaewon bow down, she inhale for relieve. She let Jaewon guarded and she followed after. The girl, Hayi did not used to this, cameras all around, crowded and the noisy. He sure got many fans. She thought. She kept her distance from Jaewon, she wouldn’t let everyone knew that she was his new manager.

In the waiting room Hayi was busy to prepare thing, she got call and after finished she got another one. Hayi also carried big stuff. And she had to take care for Jawon departure administration. After arrived at waiting room Hayi never stop talking to phone. She was confirming stuff to make everything set. After the last call she took deep sigh and lean her back on that metal chair.

“Tired” Hayi was shocked by a voice. She was so busy that she forgot that someone actually sat beside her. The reason she got that hectic schedule.

“Sh....” Hayi touch her heart for pounding so fast. She just about to curse. “You surprised me.”

“You weird.” Hayi was too tired to argue with him. Called a girl weird was not a crime, it was just unappropriated. “Everything is set?” He asked wiith unexplained expression, Hayi just really careless about that tease face.

“Mm.”She just gave simple answer.

“Good. You are quite good.” Jaewon smiled for satisfaction, Jaewon looked at Hayi. He was curious what her expression when she got his compliment. But Hayi was closing her eyes with restless expression. Her eyebrow was pursed and she was breathing slowly. Jaewon looked awkward, he does not know what to do, and suddenly his face was so soft when he looked at her. Not that hungry expression, angry expression just like a child who did not get his favourite snack, not that tease expression, neither felt irritated expression that he always showed to Hayi. Jaewon kept looking at her, it was sad expression this time. It was really obvious that Jaewon had mix feeling just to look at that face.

Ringtone sound made Jaewon looked at another things, his pupil shook, looked up and down looked at someone passed. The ringtone from Hayi’s she picked the phone with so polite language. Jaewon guess it was from their CEO. He pretend that he has no interest, but a smidge clench was seen by his eyes.

Hayi keep his phone in her long grey coat, he played his feet which wrapped by white sneakers, bowed some air from and lay his tired back so peacefully. She turned her head to her right from an awkward stare.

“What”

“Nothing” and the silence approached them. Although, actually there were so many thing left to explain.

::::::::::::::::::

The sun was set perfectly, between the cloudy skies. The orange atmosphere filled their arrival at the airport. They walked side to side without word to the arrival gate. Hayi was so quite that day, she just speak when she confirmed everything and Jaewon knew exactly why, she was tired just like him.

It felt that the sun down and bring their energy that day, they were so drained. They welcomed by the scream. Jaewon was welcomed the bodyguard and Hayi walked away but Jaewon always checked on Hayi on back. While Hayi just walked while stared the place she stepped. Eight hours of flight was not light, it was the further place Hayi had ever went to. Hayi was around fourteen when the last vacation to Hawaii with her family. She forgot how tired some flight was, with awkward and uncomfortable position. She was not the main star to get all the comfortable seat with full rest leg. That was the first time she got annoy to separate for Jaewon.

Jaewon also little surprised and more annoyed when he found Hayi around his seat. He wanted to protest to his company in exact moment but it was too late that phone off sign already on. But Hayi already settle down everything; there were some ingredients Jaewon could not consume, allergic we called.

:::::::::::::::::::

Hayi walked to her room very eagerly, she actually could collapse in looking fine carpet made from Arabic in the hallway but of course she afraid of the security service will kicked her body somewhere on the street. From her look, she could not careless anymore why she was there, her messy bun was not formed properly just like she would imagine pretty girls out there with messy bun, her eyes almost close just any moment. Jaewon in her back was silent, he could not think what exact words to be vocalize he just as tired as Hayi. They looked like stranger with same direction.

Finally the doors was sight after the –they thought- long steps were taken. They were neighbour; they room was side to side. They were standing in front of the tall brown door with high security key and looking tough wood. Hayi turned his head right where Jaewon stood, he did not tried to open his door but round up his fingers on his sleeve and back; scratching. Hayi was too exhausted to figure out what Jaewon up to. After her door rang, she entered almost as fast as light that Jaewon thought she teleport.

Hayi kicked her shoe and her bag hurry-scurry and collapse at the large bad that outshined every luxurious things there. Hayi actually had feel VIP room several times before –thanks to Jaewon and his overseas schedule- but she forgot how VIP room’s bad feel until she rested her back on it. She did not close her eyes in instant but scanned her room, there was large balcony cover in heavy cream curtain, she was too lazy to rise and checked the view, in front of the bed there was an LED tv and dresser with big mirror, there was also standing mirror next to it and next to it there was a door that Hayi’s deduction it was a bathroom. In her left –not too close to bad- standing a treadmill for you to exercise that it was funny that Hayi thought she will never touch it. Well, being a manager and stylist at once was already tiring for her. There were also so many ornament around like glamour vase with fresh red rose that the odour spread around the room the moment Hayi stepped in, and also the look rich paintings on the wall typical renascence Italy. Hayi smile was back from her lips, screw hygiene; she thought, and bury her smiley face in the feather pillow underneath her.

Hayi barely had not dreaming as all her body fatigued she did not realized that the light still on and all her belonging threw messily on the floor. One at midnight she had no intention to open her eyes, but she was a light sleeper; low voice could wreck her sleep anytime, more over if the noise from her phone. Her sensitive ears responsed the voice as her eyes were shaken, her hands was all over the bad not to feel the fabric of her bad sheet but to reach her phone that she remembered it was placed next to her when she last time she checked the clock, it was ten pass eleven she completely passed out. She could stay at night even when the horizon show the orange line between earth and the sky, but due to tiresome flight and schedule not to forget one person that she had to take care of.

It could be from two person; someone with very important business or from rude person who tried to disturb someone precious sleep. When she saw a name she decided it was from a rude person. Why on earth he called this late.

“What?” She clenched her teeth with her eyes close and her hands all over her body gave them little message.

“Come to my room, i need you.” It was not a plain voice nor full of depression, did he say with serious tone, it was probably important business.

There she was, standing in front of a man’s room at midnight. Hayi felt so much strange that she looked at her left and right before he knocked the door, it was unnecessary action and rather creepy if you saw it at different perspective or CCTV because she was standing there with anger face. She could be suspected up to something no good.

She welcomed by a man with pleading eyes and her hands all over his body. He looked tired and restless. He moved his head as sign for Hayi to enter his room and so he did. Hayi sat down on the couch in front of the bed. Jaewon stumble to her and he sat next to her with restless face.

“I can’t find it.” Finally he spoke. He did not looked at Hayi in the face and his expression was quite embarrass. Hayi pursed her eyebrow and tried to solve what actually Jaewon meant. “I can’t find my allergic medicine.” He explained to her further why he summoned her in his chamber. Hayi gasped, then her eyes fixed to his body. She rose his sleeve of his shirt and pull it to look his . The color red spread freely on his back, and do not ignored the red polkadot on his sleeve.

“What did you eat?” she almost yell. He was a model for tomorrow and yet his body full of red mark.

“Just what the attendant flight gave me.”

“And?” Hayi interrogate her further knew that something was wrong.

“Extra milk.” He forced smile to her felt so guilty like a kid caught from did something wrong.

“Jung Jaewon, you are an adult now do you understand that you have allergic if you consume protein beyond your limit?” Hayi looked so much disbelieve, while Jaewon is silence as what guilty person should do. “I knew you for almost ten years and almost a year I am working as your manager and stylist, but you never stop surprising me with your stubborn.” Hayi shake her head as she walk to where his suitcase had placed. She got the medicine in instant in the messy cloths. Hayi did not bring the medicine with her, but gave it to Jaewon in case he need it immediately.

“I am sorry.” She was silenced by the word, she did not see Jaewon in the face as he swallow the medicine.

Jaewon fell into deep sleep after he got the medicine, both because tired and medicine effect. He slept with sound and the bed against his chest. He let his compressed by her to make him sleeping well to avoid eye bag his face also her asset. She already got her sleep anyway; she convinced herself because deep down her heart –that she insist were not true- she was worried and got smitten by his sudden apologise for his mistake. Jaewon never apologised to little mistake he had done so far, it was for the first time that could make Hayi little bit frozen for second, but her mind let this tought away, got your heart smitten by this man just like playing with fire. He was a good man after all, before everything had happened. There must to be a reason why she fell for her in the first place. As the time went by Jaewon temper slowly under control, his attitude slowly got better and her manner slowly back to him; a fine Gentleman. Maybe Hayi too busy to realised this, she thought Jaewon had lost forever, she might did not realised that probably it was Jaewon heart that got smitten.

::::::::::::::::::

Everything went as good as the weather that day, not too bright, not too cloudy but the chill still nerve their bone. Hayi several times should give Jaewon hot-pack for his freezing hands. His allergic perfectly disappeared even before Jaewon awoke. Thankfully it was a winter cloths he modelling for, even with those allergy on his back, no one would notice. Almost a year experienced slowly turned Hayi to an expert manager, her company couldn’t be more any happier that surprisingly they get along –Hayi also surprised by this fact-. Little fight colour their relationship still, but if you looked by third person perspective they bickering just like old married couple.

Jaewon was not alone, he worked with a model-actor –the trend these days; Hayi thought- he got pretty plain skin, almost pale if the blush on him on his cheek one was not appear naturally. Somehow he was really familiar to Hayi, not just her appearance, but also his aura. It felt just like she had nostalgic.

::::::::::::::

Everything was surprisingly went fast, Jaewon indeed a professional entertainer. It ended as fast as the click of photographer camera. Hayi got back to her hotel room as quick as possible, she wanted to rest her back as soon as possible. Jaewon had left somewhere Hayi told not to curious about, she did curious, last time he decided to left alone like that everything went chaos. There was a fight for nothing actually, at the club, in the middle of night Hayi went there to make everything under control but this was a strange country for him, with strangers and in middle of day, maybe he just wanted to do some man shopping, it was an Italy after all, the fashion country.

So hayi did lay her back on that oversized bed, she looked at the balcony that covered with the curtain and the sun peeked through it creating an aesthetic light and that summon Hayi to discover what exactly lay underneath it.

She walked slowly to the balcony and slide the curtain to the left and make it scramble and in respond she dropped her jaw, the scenery was not city of Italy that she would imagine, but the sapphire beach that reflect white cloud, just like the sky actually upside down. There was a clear line between the sparkling of sea and the sun which already cuddle to the sea and it made the half circle just like full circle with help of the sea reflection. Sigh, awe, imaginary thought were harmonise in her breath. The scenery seems have the magic to lift her stress away, Hayi had seen something more beautiful than this, but artier all things happened on her, she cherished every moment and all beautiful things that her witnessed and feel, as she did not know when will it be the last. So all her reaction was not a pretend.

“Ah, Tired!” She yelled out loud that made some birds flew away surprised by the deep but high of her voice. She stretched and yawned, inhale to fill her lung air and then lean on the balcony rail and enjoy the orange horizon.

“Lee Hayi.” She searched for the voice that came from her right, not too far away there were a balcony with the man face her body to see her, with the help of the twilight light she could recognized who was called her name. The actor, Zelo smiled to her with genuine smile he got. His white teeth shown perfectly indicate the happiness inside him. His smile felt like familiar to Hayi, it reminds of her innocent classmate that also has the smile.

“Oh, I apologized. I did not know that you were there. I mean, I did not intention to disturb everyone... I mean neighbours, people..” She shuttered because the nerve, she did not know why but she felt so embarrassed to yell –almost scream- like that tough it was truly a reflect. “I apologized once again. Do have you rest.” She closed her eyes in disbelief and hurry to go inside.

The bell rang just she stepped inside maybe it was the hotel service she did not care. She opened the heavy door and stunned by the figure that already stood smiling brightly.

“Lee Hayi.” He repeat her name again just like in balcony, with the same expression but only lower his tone. Zelo closer to her now down his head as condition of the high gap. Hayi did not how to respond. She mantion her name just like the old friend approaching. “Lee Hayi, right?”

“Yes” She still in dazed how this person acted like he knew her.

“It is me. Don’t you remember?” He still show the smile, they still stood in front of the room. Hayi scanned of someone presence there, just in case someone could help to figure out who he was, she knew exactly who he was, and she did not wonder how he knew her name. Jaewon called her all the time in front of him, maybe that how he knew her but she needed to figure it out why he acted like this she still in confusion, she looked away and project her memory of his old friend and scanned one by one. She pursed her eyebrow just like tried to solve a Sherlock mystery. Finally the scramble eyebrow went up followed by the dropping jaw. Zelo grinned in response “Ah, finally!”

“Choi Junhong!” She almost scream “I knew that smile is familiar.”

:::::::::::::::

“Lee Hayi!” that was several time her name was being called. This time with anger and furious tone. She did not know what made him that way. She did not do any mistake if she reckon that day.

“What’s up with you Jung Jaewon?”