Doubts Dispelled

Siren Savior

   Hongbin worried when their lesson the following day was cancelled. Not only that, he was notified by her job, no word from Melody since he’d dropped her off. Calls went straight to voicemail, making him wonder if the date was unbearable for her or if something had happened.

   Meanwhile Melody sat in her mother’s home, helping tend to tropical plant life and wondering how to bring up her questions without seeming suspicious. Never doubt a mother’s intuition, though. Just as the two finished watering, her mother sat her down and took a seat in the chair next to her.

“Mel, I think we both know you didn’t come here for idle chatter and plant watering. What troubles you, my dear?”

“I have questions mom, about.. the imprinting thing you mentioned.”

“As I thought you would. Wait.. did something happen?”

"No, I mean yes, I mean… maybe?” Her mother gasped and placed a hand over her heart. “I’m sorry but it was an accident I swear–”

“My baby’s all grown up! Kissing boys, or whatever, I don’t judge. And here I was worried you’d end up like Aunt Sally with a few cats instead..” she chuckled.

“About two full moons ago, I rescued a boy from drowning, he was unconscious so I gave him CPR is that kiss enough to count as an imprint?”

“Oh no, honey, you both have to be willing and conscious for that,” she couldn’t help but laugh at her daughter’s visible stress relieved. “A siren’s song may lure a partner, but a kiss is what seals the deal. If you’re worried about having to marry him, you’re good.”

“Well mom, actually..” And so Melody spilled all the details about Hongbin to mama Hwang, right down to Googling him and VIXX for pictures. Ready to accept a scolding, she braced for impact, instead greeted with a warm hug.

“As long as he makes you happy, I couldn’t give less of a damn. Don’t settle like I did with your father, I know you love him but that stingy basta-”

“Mom!” The mother and daughter burst into laughter, the same eye crinkle and smile lines making a DNA test unnecessary, the resemblance uncanny.

   Now that Melody had resolved her doubts and gathered information, she’d head back in the morning. What greeted her when her phone charged was a few inquiries from Amethyst, and a flood of missed calls and texts from Hongbin. She called back and he picked up almost instantly, despite being mid-workout. She explained she’d gone to check up on her mother and apologized for cancelling, with him telling her he’s happy as long as she’s fine. Both much more at ease in this budding romance, lessons would resume as scheduled.

   Disregarding their boundaries, the first thing he did when he’d arrived was to hug her. No not hug, plaster her against his chest, murmuring into her hair how worried he’d been and how glad he is she’s unharmed. His progress was going swimmingly, one might say. Hongbin’s fear of the water had lessened enough to allow him to stop using the board as a crutch, relying on his own skill instead.. at the shallower end.

   Beaming when she’d praised his improvement, he reminded her of a puppy when she patted his head. They said their farewells for the day, setting up another secret date. Melody sang freely now, allowing him to bask in her marvelous voice. He regularly about becoming an idol, but the limelight never appealed to her, much less with her secret. She’d debating telling him for awhile now, but became scared of his reaction. The only person she’d ever told was dear Amethyst, her best friend. How would her boyfriend of about 3 months now take the news?