Drinking You In

Siren Savior

   Deciding to , Melody hummed a few bars of VIXX’s newest song from the concert when he’d arrived for next week’s lesson. Eyes wide as saucers, the panic he felt was surely showing. “Oh relax, Fishy, I’m just teasing. My friend dragged me along to some concert last week. Imagine my surprise, I didn’t know you could dance like that!” she relayed. The dusting of red on Hongbin’s cheeks was inevitable at her brusque compliment, but his immediate reply was a sheepish thanks as he rubbed his nape. He didn’t even react to her ironic pet name this time, implemented at their last lesson due to her fondness for the man. She’d decided she was having none of that shy mush, instead running right over to the diving board hovering over the 10ft sign, unknowingly showing off.

   Hongbin watched with awe, likely how she’d watched him on stage. Watching someone in their natural element, in their comfort zone radiating with confidence was truly a sight to behold. Which is exactly what he could say about his mysterious coach, with her seeming affinity for the water. He’d wished he wasn’t so scared, fearless like her, able to dive head-on, but the thought of even floating near the deep end had him break out in goosebumps. Melody swam over and tugged at his feet. “You getting in or what, Hongbin? We have a lesson to start.” “R-Right, just a moment.”

   She noticed his hesitation today, perhaps breaking routine had his fear resurfacing? It was a slower day today, rehashing basics until he seemed more at ease, opting for not watching him break down if she pushed him too far today.

   “You’ve been a great help, you know that?” Hongbin grinned, dazzling her with his pearly whites. She could only nod, surprised by her sudden shyness for someone usually forward. “My fear of the water isn’t totally unreasonable, you know?” He was being chatty tonight, but she was too curious to back down now. “I’ve always been terrible at swimming, only sport I really can’t do. Just before our lessons began, I.. I fell off a boat and nearly drowned, somehow awakening on a faraway shore. No one knows how it happened, but I’m still traumatized. I can still feel the water rushing in and my body giving out…”

   Oh boy, Melody knows more than even you do about that night. But it appears her secret is safe if he has amnesia. She’d noticed he was shaking, likely in shock from the memory surge. She reached for a towel and draped it over him, cautiously placing an arm over his shoulder to pat his back. “Sshh it’s fine, you’re alright now. You’re safe and that’s what matters. You’re out here fighting your fear and showing the water who’s boss. And for the record.. I’m proud to be your coach.” Melody mumbled the last bit, sudden shyness be darned. She didn’t see the smile on his face, but felt his fist gently connect with her arm instead.

   “Would asking you out for a drink be too unprofessional?” Hongbin murmured in his husky voice. Melody had never been one too affected by boys and their offerings, much less when it was drinks rather than dinner. But something about him had her behaving very unlike herself, and she ended up agreeing. Later that night after his practice was over and she’d taken some time to freshen up, she received a text with the location to meet up, at a rather exclusive little bar. Then again, the man was a popular idol. But before she could head out, her phone rang, and her mother’s face appeared on screen.

“Hello dear?”

“Hello mother, how are you?”

“Just peachy. Now listen baby, listen carefully, you hear?”

“Yes, mother.” Melody rolled her eyes, realizing she was likely in for another lecture about how to get more out of less or something.

“I remembered something important I should have told you ages ago, but oh well I doubt you’ll really need this advice. Never kiss on the night of a full moon, lest you imprint on that person.” Forgetting her little CPR tryst, the information flew over her head.

“Wait mom, what’s an ‘imprint’?”

“It means you’ve marked that person as your soulmate, my dear.”

“Oh alright, I have to go out now so I’m hanging up first, I love you.”

   It began to pour just as Melody stepped out of her cab, having to run inside the bar rather ungracefully. Once inside, she spotted his tall stature easily. Sipping on a glass at the far end, rather thoughtfully. It was only when she’d taken the seat next to him that Hongbin had even realized she’d shown up. And my god, was she beautiful. Her body was swim-built in her one piece bathing suit at work, but seeing her in a modest black dress, all dolled up for the sake of their meeting.. it did things to him no woman had ever made him feel before.

“You look gorgeous.”

“I thought we were keeping things professional? Hm, not so bad yourself, handsome.” He couldn’t break the grin on his face even if he’d tried.

   The pair chatted up a storm, from the weather to family tales, and anything that came to mind. The drinks flew back, from lighter ones to stronger ones as the night carried on. With a glance at her watch, she gasped, hours had flown by! Still tipsy and off her better judgement, she leaned in and pecked his cheek. Emboldened by the liquor, he held her hand and glanced from her eyes to her lips. It was barely more than a chaste kiss pressed unto her lips, yet she was giggling like a schoolgirl and he was damn proud.

   Ever the gentleman, Hongbin escorted her outside, calling them both cabs, neither in any condition to be driving home. They’d shared one more risky kiss before the cabs arrived, with his hand pressed to the small of her back, the aftertaste of his whisky staining . She fell asleep that night feeling warm and soft, while he replayed the events smiling until his dimples felt sore. Hongbin’s dreams that night consisted of that voice again, the only memory he has of the incident, unsure if real and too scared to ask anyone who might call him crazy.