Imprinted?

Siren Savior

   Another week of lessons and Hongbin had decided he could hold out no longer, he needed to see her again, and not just for their little swim therapy sessions. He’d become notably better, but feigned a lack of skill to prolong their meetings. It was like she brought upon this fire in his veins, and he’d be damned if he could never feel this way again. It made him throw his professionalism out the window, for the sake of a girl. But it wasn’t until he arrived that day and heard her singing from the lifeguard seat that he’d realized he could fall any deeper for her.

   Eerily familiar but unplace-able, he stood just underneath her aqua throne, listening to her sing in what he assumed was her native tongue. Melody heard clapping as she descended from her post, wishing she could hide underwater after seeing Hongbin just ahead of her.

   “Don’t tell me you.. heard all that?” She grabbed at one elbow, seemingly folding herself in half to hide in embarrassment.

   “You were.. wow that’s impressive. You never cease to amaze me. It’s like you just have this glow about you.” He ran a hand through her hair, saddened when she stepped away from him.

   “We can’t do these things where you could get caught. We have to act professional.. here.” The way she’d trailed her sentence gave him hope, pacing over to where she stood so he could whisper in her ear.

   “Then how’s about dinner this weekend? After my performance and an interview I’m free Sunday night. Please tell me you’ll come?” This grown man, a famous idol, was pulling puppy dog eyes on her.. and it was working. She agreed to dinner and so there they met. She’d managed to talk him out of seafood, faking an allergy. Reality was, she couldn’t stand the thought of eating her scaly companions.

   This time in a nice blouse and dress pants, they met at another fancy shindig, Hongbin in a dress shirt and slacks. After a long moment of gaping at each other, not like they didn’t sneak glances of one another’s bodies during lessons, Melody was the first to break free. She held his hand and he ran this thumb across hers.

   “Enchanté, mademoiselle,” Hongbin attempted in a cheesy accent that had her laughing all the way to their booth. Despite their fancy getup, the two acted like children playing footsie and holding hands across the table. He’d picked a fabulous wine to go with their steaks and salads, even dear Melody wasn’t immune to being spoiled. After dinner he offered a stroll, admitting he’d like to spend more time with her before having to part.

   The restaurant was by a pier, so they walked hand-in-hand across the wood overlooking the vast body of water. They cozied up on a small bench, eventually locking lips, with a hint of tongue. She felt drunk off him, wanted to become completely intoxicated, but he pulled away for air and Melody almost whined audibly.

   “Wow the moon looks beautiful tonight.. but not as beautiful as you.” She may have scoffed at his remark, but the telltale tucking of hair behind her ear meant she did not go unaffected. “Looks like it’ll be a full moon soon. Reminds me of that night..” And it wasn’t until Hongbin had reminded her of the full moon that she’d remembered how they met, making her mother’s gentle warning a blaring siren in her mind. Had she accidentally imprinted on this human.. or did his feelings ring true? Melody feigned sleepiness and Hongbin drove her home, she couldn’t get much sleep that night, she knew what she had to do. She was going home to mama.