Railroad Tracks

1983: Teukchul

A/N: possible trigger warning: suicide, child abuse


A sudden rush of wind, a bright circle of light, a piercing whistle, and the train arrives.

A small child stands in the back of the crowd that rushes to board, clutching his mother's hand. He gazes up at the enormous engine with wide eyes and an open mouth.

He is riding the train today, going to visit his grandmother who lives in the mountains. He has been unbelievably excited, but now, he can only stand and stare.

Finally, a tug from his mother sets him into motion. Still in a haze, he steps mechanically into the carriage, eyes wandering everywhere.

His mother settles into the fabric-covered seat and allows him to explore. Obediently, he drifts away.

Suddenly, another child knocks into him, breaking his reverie.

"Ow, watch where you're going!" he complains, rubbing his hurt arm.

"Sorry," the other kid apologizes sheepishly. "I was trying to keep up with a bird outside the window."

This piques his interest. "Can I go with you?"

"Well..." The other child hesitates. "It might be gone by now, but we can find something else to follow!"

He agrees, attracted to cheerful smiles and lovely eyes. "Okay, I'm Kim Heechul, and I'm seven."

"Oh, I'm Park Jungsoo, and I'm seven too!"

They walk along the corridor, Jungsoo pointing out all the beautiful scenery. Heechul listens, entranced by the rolling hills, rushing rivers, and waving grass.

They press their noses against the window and watch the land fly past. Heechul tells Jungsoo about going to see his grandmother, which is a good thing, even though his mother was crying.

Jungsoo tells Heechul about going to see his aunt with his father, and how his father hit him when he didn't do anything bad.

"It's a secret, don't tell anyone!"

"Only if you keep mine too."

"Okay, pinky promise."

Two young children live in the same city, travel to the same place, and become the best of friends.

---

A loud clang of the bell, a raising of the bar, a switch of the track, and the train pulls in.

Heechul and Jungsoo are twelve, going to summer camp together. The last time they took the train together was when Heechul's grandmother died, and Jungsoo last saw his aunt before she ended her own life.

"Heechul, I'm scared," Jungsoo whispers, clutching Heechul's arm and making every attempt to hide behind his friend.

Heechul rolls his eyes. "You're supposed to be older than me, Jungsoo."

"By nine days!! That's hardly anything, we're the same age!"

Heechul laughs, pulling Jungsoo forward and wrapping an arm around his shoulders. "It's okay, you have me."

Jungsoo leans his head on Heechul's, sighing a bit. "As long as you don't abandon me..."

This time, the train passes through a dark forest. Nothing but branches and shadows flash past outside the windows.

Jungsoo and Heechul meet some of the other campers. Hankyung, Jongwoon, and Youngwoon are a year younger, and they readily accept these new friends.

A month passes too quickly, and Heechul never does abandon Jungsoo. Even though he finds a lot in common with Hankyung, he always comes back to Jungsoo.

On the train ride home, Jungsoo falls asleep on Heechul's shoulder, oblivious to the storms outside.

---

A creaking of straining tracks, a screech of rusting wheels, a sigh of outdated mechanics, and the train makes its last journey.

Jungsoo and Heechul are now nineteen. They are taking the train into the city to enter college. Jungsoo is going to a prestigious school, while Heechul's standards are a bit lower.

"You'll visit, right?" Jungsoo breathes, gripping Heechul's hand tightly.

"Of course." Heechul very rarely runs out of words, but today, he falls silent, letting Jungsoo's warmth comfort him.

The train ride is exceptionally short today as Jungsoo and Heechul clutch at each other, not willing to let go.

"Don't go, Heechul," Jungsoo begs. He is starting to cry, and Heechul feels tears prick at his own eyes too.

"We'll see each other again, Jungsoo. If we don't, ten years later, at the railway tracks."

Heechul tears himself away, not wanting Jungsoo to see him cry.

Glittering tears fall onto the concrete, splashing into Jungsoo's heart.

---

They never do see each other again, but Heechul never forgot their promise.

Ten years later, Heechul shows up at the long-abandoned train station in their little town. The tracks are rusted and crooked, covered by weeds and long grass. Everything has quite an enchanted feel, but for the lone gravestone between the two tracks.

Park Jungsoo, buried at his favorite place. Park Jungsoo, who never lived to age twenty-nine. Park Jungsoo, who never saw his best friend again.

Park Jungsoo, who died on this day, three years ago.

Kim Heechul drops to his knees in front of Jungsoo's grave, tears streaming unbidden down his face.

"I'm sorry," he cries, reaching out for someone he will never hold again. "I'm sorry, Jungsoo, I never should have let you go, I'm sorry..."

The wind rises, blowing Jungsoo's hair off his forehead. Heechul smiles as he watches his friend trying to hold his hair down.

"Just wear a hat," he tells him. Jungsoo looks at him, eyes narrowed against the wind.

"No, I like it this way," he responds, letting go to take Heechul's hand. "Come on, let's go!"

Clouds billow in the distance as Jungsoo and Heechul make their way through the cornfields, laughing all the way.

"I could fall in love with you, you know."

And he did. Heechul fell in love with Jungsoo that day, although he never told him.

Then, Jungsoo died, throwing himself onto a railroad, and Heechul was only left with pain and regret.

He was afraid to visit, fearing Jungsoo's anger, scared of what might become of him after seeing his best friend's grave.

Heechul stays with Jungsoo today. He stays until the sun sets, watching the sky turn beautiful shades of gold and pink. He stays to see the fireflies come out, decorating Jungsoo's gravestone with twinkling fairy lights. He stays past the gleaming stars that illuminate his tears during the darkest night. He stays and falls asleep on Jungsoo's grave.

Dawn breaks over the horizon, and the sky gradually fades away to a pale blue. Heechul opens his eyes slowly, not wanting to wake up from his dream, not wanting to let go of Jungsoo again.

"I forgive you."

"I'll love you forever, Park Jungsoo. Just wait for me."