Knowledge

Our City Uncovered

   click the music note for music !

Image result for sketch of a wound

“It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.”
Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy

YgPpTtZ.png

“Kris?” he whispered. The man tilted his head, frowning. “Why do you know my name?”

Baekhyun turned to the other two beside Kris, and his eyes widened when he saw who they were.

“Luhan and Tao, why are you three still alive? I heard you were exiled not too long after I was.”

Nari stayed still from her position, listening to the conversation unfolding behind the wall.

“Why does he know our name?” Luhan asked, turning to the other two. Tao shook his head. “He sounds as if he knows us.”

Baekhyun stepped forward, only for the three of them to raise their guns. “I do know you, and you know me too. What is going on? What happened to the others?”

“We have orders to bring you back, Baekhyun, whether you cooperate or not. Bringing you back alive is the priority but having you dead yields the same result,” Kris stated.

Baekhyun let out a laugh of disbelief and stepped back, “You guys have been brainwashed. I’m not your friend anymore, am I? I’m just a target.” He shook his head, reaching back to grab his pistol and shot at Tao’s arm, making him drop the gun.

He winced when he felt a bullet graze his thigh before somebody pulled him behind. He looked up to see Nari standing in front of him with her eyes livid.

“I’m sorry but you’re not bringing him back with you,” she said. The three stood there in shock for a second, not expecting to see her alive.

“You’re alive. The Forerunner has been looking everywhere for you, Nari. Come back with us.” Luhan stepped forward but she let out a low growl, raising her gun at his head.

“We’ll spare his life if you come back with us. Otherwise, we’re going to kill him,” Kris bargained. She shook her head, ready to say something when Baekhyun let out a shout of pain, falling down behind her. She whipped her head around to see Tao, who had aimed for his stomach.

“You bastard!” she shouted, lunging forward to attack. Kris and Luhan blocked her off, bringing her into combat with them before she could reach for Tao.

She winced, feeling one of their boots collide with her rib cage. It had been a while since she was in combat with a trained Selected and by the looks of it, it did not seem to be going well.

Her head collided with the ground and she glared up at Kris. He looked back at Baekhyun. “We’ll take the two of you with us, whether you cooperate or not. Don’t make us use any unnecessary force.”

“Leave her out of this. It’s me you want, isn’t it?” Baekhyun wheezed, struggling to stand up. Nari winced when she tried getting up, but Kris had her arms pinned behind her back.

“I’ll go with you guys. Just don’t take her back with you, please,” he begged, using the wall against him to steady himself. He dropped his weapons and held up his hands in surrender.

Luhan walked over and clasped the metal cuffs around his wrists. Nari looked up, and her eyes rounded. “Baek, what are you-” She stopped talking and let out a cry when Kris slammed his foot harder onto her shoulder blade.

“Don’t hurt her! I’ll go with you and I won’t give you any extra trouble,” Baekhyun pleaded, his voice cracking, walking behind Luhan.

“What is stopping us from taking the both of you?” Tao asked, finally up. Baekhyun looked between the three men and then back at Nari.

“I’m the only one who knows how to activate her abilities and if you’re willing to find out, none of us will be able to return to the Cover in one piece.”

YgPpTtZ.png

Jin looked up at the dark sky and then down to the shadows that the shadows of the buildings casted onto the street below. He dangled his legs over the edge of the roof and let out a sigh.

After their encounter with the other group of Selected soldiers, they had gotten the upgrades they needed for their weapons before returning to their sleeping chambers. It did them no help when they were given another search and scavenge mission the next day.

They had arrived into the city once again, and were instructed to go beyond the city to the next this time, meaning their journey would take longer than usual.

He looked back when he heard approaching footsteps and he blinked when he saw Taehyung walking over.

“Can’t sleep? He asked, moving aside for Taehyung to sit down. Taehyung shook his head, setting his gun down beside him.

“I’m wondering, do you think there’s some truth behind what that Baekhyun guy said?”

Jin turned to him and thought about it for a few seconds. “He said we can breathe out here without the helmets. There’s no way he survived out here without a helmet if the air really wasn’t radioactive. What reason would he have for lying, anyway?”

“Yeah, but, I just don’t get it. Then why were we told that the Surface is toxic?” Taehyung asked.

Jin shrugged, tilting his head up to look at the clouded moon. “Maybe the air became clean again because there’s nobody living up here.”

Taehyung looked down and played with his gloves. “I also can’t wrap my head around what happened today in the weaponry. It’s not uncommon we get spat on but when they mentioned that we had another member, my head felt like it was going to explode.”

“Nari,” Jin whispered. “Why does her name sound so familiar?”

“I think we knew her at one point but I can’t seem to remember any other details,” Taehyung replied.

YgPpTtZ.png

Nari felt the metal digging into her skin and she winced in pain when she drew blood. She scooted closer against the wall and bit her lip in pain when she continued to slide the cuff down.

She let out a cry of frustration and looked out the open balcony door where the sun was starting to rise. Tears ran down her face when she remembered seeing Baekhyun’s face of defeat look back at her. She wasn’t even able to make out what he said to her before he disappeared around the corner and before Tao knocked her out.

She felt the copper taste of the blood run over her tongue and she released the pressure from her teeth on her lips. She grit her teeth and in one fluid motion, she pulled one of the cuffs out of her left wrist. She shut , stopping herself from crying out from the excruciating pain digging into her bones.

She managed to crawl over to her supplies bag and grab a weapon to hammer off the cuffs around her ankles. After freeing herself, she threw the metal cuffs into the corner and grabbed her bag. She wiped the blood onto her shirt and stretched out her fingers.

She had an inkling as to why Soohyuk would want Baekhyun back. After spending the past years with him, they told each other a lot of what they knew. After regaining most of her lost memories and from what she had learned about him, it seemed as if Baekhyun knew too much about the Cover.

There was no way she would make it back to the Cover in time after them because she knew they came with a vehicle but she was definitely going to try.

YgPpTtZ.png

“We should have gotten a vehicle if we knew we were going to be travelling across the prairies,” Jimin sighed. Yoongi looked back at him and shook his head. “It would have attracted too much attention getting it out of the city.”

Jimin frowned. “I know, but this is such a long journey. I can’t help but feel that the Forerunner is punishing us for not bringing back that guy.”

“He wouldn’t do that. He just knows this city is out of supplies and wants us to travel farther,” Hoseok chided.

“Guys,” Jungkook said, looking up. “I think a storm is coming.”

The guys in front of him turned to look at him and followed his gaze to the dark clouds looming over the city they had just left.

“We need to find cover. It’s another rainstorm and if we don’t get to higher ground, we’ll get caught in the floods,” Namjoon said. He looked around until he spotted a farmhouse before directing the rest of his team to follow behind him.

They arrived at the barn and after looking through it, they realized the wooden flooring at the second floor would not hold their weight. They moved on to inspecting the two-story house beside the barn instead.

“We can camp out on the roof. This building should be tall enough to keep us dry.” Namjoon pushed open the door.

He had just taken a step into the house when he saw a shadow move to his right. He aimed his gun and was about to shoot when he felt the air of something whizz past his ear.

“What the ?” he whispered, running after the shadow. The other guys followed after him into the living room, on guard. Namjoon looked around the room and raised an eyebrow, sensing no presence.

“I saw something and they knew how to handle a throwing knife. Show yourself,” he shouted.

The seven of them turned at once when they felt someone drop down from the ceiling behind them.

“Who are you?” Yoongi asked, shining his light onto the person in front of them.

“I don’t mean to start any trouble with you soldiers. I’ll leave quietly,” she said.

They observed her oddly-coloured pink hair, which she had tucked behind a cap. They also took note of the raw marks on her wrists and the large bag she had on her back.

Namjoon frowned, seeing her tattered clothes. “Are you from the Cover? How do you know that 
we’re soldiers?”

She gestured to their helmets. “I guessed from the amount of armour you have on.” She her heels to leave when Jin stepped up and called out to her.

“You look familiar,” he said. She raised an arm up to her face, blocking him from seeing any further and shook her head. “How could that be? I’ve lived up here my whole life.”

Jungkook squinted his eyes. “So you are saying that you were born and raised here? How did you know about the soldiers in the Cover?” She turned her head the slightest in his direction. “I have no reason to answer your questions. If you’re done, I’m going to take my leave.”

“Wait, a storm is approaching. We can keep you safe if you stay here,” Hoseok said. She shook her head once again. “There’s no need for that. I’ll find another place.”

Namjoon walked forward to block her path and she looked down to hide her face.

“Something seems off here. You have a bag that was made inside the Cover and the gun you’re holding in your hands isn’t something that can be easily obtained. You’re from the Cover, aren’t you?”

She took a step back. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. These items were given to me by some people I met along the way.”

Yoongi raised an eyebrow, walking to stand beside Namjoon. “How do you know how to handle a gun? And the throwing knives?”

“I was taught by someone,” she replied sharply.

“Why are you so against us protecting you, then? You know that we’re soldiers,” Jin added. She poked the insides of her cheek with her tongue, aggravated by the amount of questions. “I don’t need protection. I’ve survived this long on my own.”

“Wait, that tattoo,” Jungkook pointed at her neck. “I’ve seen that before.” She reflexively pulled the collar of her sweater up to cover her neck, but it was too late. He walked closer and tilted his head.

“The only time I’ve ever seen that tattoo was during the Culling for,” he paused. “For Nari.”

Namjoon immediately pulled the hand away from her face and she barely had time to react. He stumbled back when he saw images flash through his eyes. The rest of the guys staggered back, finally seeing her face.

“You,” Hoseok gasped. “You’re alive.”

Nari pulled the cap down lower and headed towards the door. She grabbed something from her backpack and in their state of shock, she threw the grenade down and disappeared through the thick smoke.

“You weren’t supposed to remember.”



a u t h o r 's    n o t e 

       And they finally meet! I'm sorry for adding so many characters suddenly but Kris, Luhan, and Tao won't appear much after this chapter. I just needed them to add to the plot because their relationship with Baek is significant.

         Let me know what you guys think of the chapter! Comments make my day.

        Goodbye!