Awake

Our City Uncovered

click the music note for music !

Related image

“But the thing about remembering is that you don't forget.”
Tim O'Brien, The Things They Carried

YgPpTtZ.png

After a long talk, filled with many questions and confusion, the guys were sitting around the small motorboat, watching the ripples in the water as they passed by.

Hoseok stood beside Yoongi, who was looking out in the distance. He leaned his elbows against the metal railing and heaved a sigh. He turned to the other.

“Do you have the slightest idea as to what’s really going on?”

Yoongi stayed silent for a while and Hoseok thought his question would go unanswered until Yoongi turned his head to him.

“No, frankly, I don’t. I’m confused and my head feels as though it could still split open at any moment. Not to mention, Namjoon and Jin are heading back to the Cover right now and they’re most likely going to receive punishment on our behalf.”

“Then should we go back and get them?” Jimin asked, walking over to stand beside the two.

“We all know Namjoon’s temper. If Hoseok wasn’t there to stop him, he would’ve put a bullet through her skull,” Yoongi said.

“It feels like all that we’ve known up to this point has been a lie. How many years have we lived our lives thinking we lost her and then how many more did we live not remembering she even existed?” Hoseok whispered. He turned around to look at Jungkook, who was tending to Nari.

She had not woken up once and hours had already passed.

“Does she really have abilities?” Jimin asked, turning around and leaning against the side of the boat.

Jungkook looked up when he heard the question. He shook his head with a small shrug. “I know she does but I’ve never seen it. Only Taehyung has seen it and as he described it, it’s not something a human should be capable of.”

Taehyung turned around when he heard the conversation, stopping the engine in the process. He looked over the curious gazes of the others and he shook his head.

“It’s not something she’d want us to see. In short, it does something to her body and she can’t handle it so she collapses after. She only used it recently to get Jungkook out.”

Hoseok raised an eyebrow. “So, when we saw the path leading to where Jungkook’s body was found, you’re telling me she dug the way?”

Taehyung tightened his lips and gave him a curt nod.

“I can’t even imagine what she goes through. Even after all this time, she’s willing to sacrifice so much for us but what have we done for her in return?” Jungkook whispered.

“What did the Forerunner do to her?” Yoongi asked, “No, what did he do to us? Who does he think he is to use us as his own little lab rats?”

Jimin tilted his head. “It’s because no one has stood up to question him. He uses the pills to keep us in check. Why do you think even the Ordinarians are required to consume it?”

“So what we’re trying to do now is get away to conduct research? Or see if there’s others up here on the Surface?” Hoseok asked.

“Both. We’re trying to find a drug for the Erratics to calm down whatever it is that’s causing them to go rabid,” Taehyung replied. He looked down at Nari. “And I want to find a cure for her.”

They stayed quiet as they watched Jungkook wipe off her sweat and dab at her forehead with the soaked towel.

“Is her knife wound alright? The knife shouldn’t have gone in too deep,” Yoongi said, walking over to crouch down beside Jungkook and her. Jungkook looked up and narrowed his eyes.

“I still can’t believe you stabbed her,” Jungkook said. Yoongi’s eyes rounded and he raised his hands in defense. “Hey, I didn’t know who she was and if someone pinned you down, wouldn’t your instincts be to do something?”

Jungkook sighed. “I know, I know. I just wish we would’ve been there with her. She must be heartbroken that she couldn’t get Namjoon and Jin.”

“Wait, when we went to get you out of the museum, how did you guys know we were going to return?” Hoseok asked, his eyebrows furrowing the more he thought about it. Taehyung pointed to the bag behind him.

“I made a signal jammer. We had to get there before you guys got Jungkook or else his escape attempt would have been for nothing.”

Jimin’s eyes widened. “You mean, he detached himself from Jin on purpose that day?”

Taehyung nodded, sharing a look with Jungkook. “He remembered her on his own and when he did, he contacted me.”

“This is so much to take in. I don’t know what’s going on anymore and I feel so confused,” Hoseok said, clutching at his head. Jimin placed a hand on his shoulder in comfort.

Yoongi clucked his tongue, getting up from his crouched position and walked towards Taehyung. He shooed him away with the flick of his hand and Taehyung looked at him in confusion.

“You and Jungkook should get some rest. I’m sure the three of us can handle this much while you guys sleep for a few hours.”

YgPpTtZ.png

“You said you didn’t have a headache when all the memories of her came rushing back?”

Jimin shook his head at Taehyung’s question and his frown only deepened. “The rest of us have been through an ear-splitting headache when any memory of her resurfaced but you’re telling me nothing happened for you?”

Jimin shook his head again at the question and Taehyung turned his head back so that he was staring up at the sky.

“Maybe we all remember her differently and the situations are different for each person.”

“It just felt as if I had remembered the word that got stuck at the tip of my tongue, you know? It was like the memories were always there but I couldn’t quite piece them together,” Jimin explained. Taehyung nodded, hearing his words.

“Yeah, I get you.”

He turned over to see Jungkook fast asleep with his head leaning against Hoseok’s shoulder and he smiled. Hoseok looked over and caught his smile.

“He’s had a long day,” Taehyung whispered. Hoseok looked down at Jungkook’s sleeping face and chuckled, giving his hair a slight ruffle.

“Haven’t we all?”

Taehyung suddenly pushed himself up and the others looked at him. Hoseok frowned. “Why aren’t you sleeping?”

Taehyung shuffled so that he was facing Nari and he brought his knees closer to his chest. He leaned his chin onto his legs and let out a sigh.

“I feel uneasy whenever she’s out cold.”

“Something tells me this happens often,” Jimin said. Taehyung nodded. “She’s been through so much more than any of us can imagine and because of us, she lost someone dear to her.”

Their mouths fell open when the realized who it was from what Taehyung and Jungkook explained earlier.

“Even if we find out there’s others out there who have lived on the Surface, what are we supposed to do? Ask for their hand in taking down the Forerunner?” Hoseok asked.

Taehyung shrugged. “I really don’t know. This is all her plan. She wants to ask for assistance or see f they have any information on the Erratics.”

“And if the people who broadcasted the transmission were hostile, what do we do?” Jimin asked.

“Look for Plan B? I don’t know,” Taehyung replied.

“There’s really no other humans living on this island? Besides everyone inside the Cover?” Hoseok asked. Taehyung shook his head. “Not that I or her know of. The Forerunner made sure that everyone was either wiped out or taken down with him for experimentation when he took over the underground military bases.”

“And science has gotten far enough for him to develop mind control drugs and drugs to slow down his own aging process?” Jimin asked.

Taehyung nodded. “It seems so.” He let out a yawn, laying back down onto the floor of the boat.

“Wake me up if there’s any changes in her condition.”

YgPpTtZ.png

Namjoon and Jin stood outside of the office. When they heard his voice telling them to go in, the guard standing aside opened the door for them.

The two of them walked up to where the Forerunner as sitting behind his desk and ducked their head in a bow.

Soohyuk stood up after seeing the two of them and he looked them up and down, inspecting them for any injuries and wounds. He stepped up behind his desk and came in front of Namjoon.

“Not only have you disobeyed my orders but you have also endangered the lives of your fellow members by doing something you were not ordered to. Do you agree?”

Namjoon nodded, not looking up to meet his eyes.

Soohyuk turned to Jin who’s eyes rounded slightly at the sudden attention. “How are your injuries?” Jin quickly ducked his head.

“I’m fine, sir.”

“How exactly did you lose so many members in the span of one trip?” Soohyuk asked.

“Sir, do you know someone by the name of Nari? Lee Nari?” Namjoon spoke, looking up finally. Soohyuk raised an eyebrow and leaned back against his desk.

“She was a former soldier of the Cover, yes.”

“She took us by surprise. She claims to have been a member among us. How is it that we have no recollection of this?”

Soohyuk picked up a pen on his desk and twirled it around in his hand.

“She was trying to trick you. It seemed to have worked for the rest of them. Did you two believe what she said?” Soohyuk asked, looking between the two of them. Namjoon and Jin shook their heads and Soohyuk smiled.

“Then that’s all that matters. You two are clearly the strong-willed ones of the group and I am more than happy you have returned safely with no further injuries,” he paused, “but there is still going to be punishment for disobeying orders.”

Soohyuk sighed. “As of right now, I will track down their current location and will assess the situation to see whether or not it is safe to send troops out to retrieve the other members. This is no easy enemy we are up against.”

“Yes, sir, we understand,” Namjoon said.

Soohyuk looked around his room, thinking about something before he spoke. “You’ll be sent into the Cover to help the Ordinarians with their tasks. It will serve as an example to all the others soldiers what it is like to disobey orders. Until further orders, you will live amongst them and aid them in their everyday lives.”

Namjoon nodded. “Thank you, sir.” He and Jin brought their hand up to their eyebrow and stood there with a salute.

Soohyuk waved his hand.

“You are dismissed.”

He watched the two of them leave and after the door closed, he threw his pen against the wall, watching it pierce through one of the paintings. He gripped onto the edge of the table and let out a breath.

“Lee Nari, what are you trying to do?” he hissed. He rotated his neck, feeling it crack and he closed his eyes.

He walked back behind his desk and sat down behind the monitor. He opened up a few files and his eyes scanned over everything on the display.

“I don’t get it Nari, why would you leave this safe haven behind to venture out into the unknown where you could be killed? You’re jeopardizing everything I’ve worked so hard to achieve,” he whispered. He narrowed his eyes when he came across something and his hand gripped against the side of the screen.

“Fine, have it your way. If you want to fight me, then so bet it. I’ll be more than prepared this time.”



a u t h o r ' s     n o t e

             Hey everyone! I'm sorry I couldn't get around to replying to your comments before updating but I want to let you all know I definitely read them all. I always do!

              I somehow got a throat virus and since it's not a simple bacterial infection, I can only take pain meds and pray for my body to get rid of it soon. But of course, my immune system is crap so I've been in bed sick but I felt bad about not updating so I've been writing from my phone instead. I've also lost my voice but I'm not sure if that's because of the virus or because I screamed my heart out seeing G-Dragon perform in Toronto last weekend. Or both.

             Anyway, there's probably going to be a double update the next time because I've written a lot (I just haven't gotten around to editing, sorry!). Also, it'll help visualize the next chapter better if I gave you guys a visual aid as to what I pictured their suits to look like (and yes, if anyone recognizes the armour, it's the Halo UNSC armour hehe): 

f9a5a7c05498cf0040abad913884e945.jpg

             See you all in the next chapter! I'll definitely reply to your comments next time!