The Happy Ever After

Kai + Cat

In the weeks after Jongin got his cat back, things slowly went back to normal, with a few changes of course.

 

Baekhyun took on the responsibility of teaching Kyungsoo how to tell if the person he was calling could hear him. “You’re terrible at it. What if we have to go on a secret mission someday, and you ruin it?”

 

“That’s never going to happen,” Kyungsoo protested, but when Baekhyun put his mind to something no one, not even Satansoo, could stop him.

 

The cat now held a place of honor. Along with several new cat toys, the cat also acquired ten cans of gourmet cat food, a huge scratching post almost as tall as the poodle who bought it, and a necklace with a blank pendant.

 

Baekhyun had wanted to have an engraved medal of honor for the cat (although Jongin wasn’t quite sure what they were honoring the cat for), but he soon realized something. The cat didn’t have a name!

 

Baekhyun, satisfied that Kyungsoo was adept (enough) to be let loose from his teachings, decided to take on a new project: naming the cat.

 

“What about Veronica?”

 

Jongin glared at his hyung. “No. We are NOT naming my cat Veronica.

 

“Why not, Jongin? Don’t be rude to Veronica.”

 

“Baekhyun, I’ve already told you. I want my cat to have a boy name. Because he’s a boy. Not a Veronica.”

 

“How about Veron then? Ooh! Or Vernon!”

 

“NO! I’m not naming my cat after a Dursley! Go AWAY, Baekhyun!”

 

"But Vernon's from Seventeen..."

 

"Goodbye, Baekhyun!"

 

After a week or so, Jongin grew tired of Baekhyun’s incessant naming.  (“What about Peony? That’s pretty!” “Baekhyun I’m in the shower!  Get OUT!”) He gathered all the members into the living room.

“I’ve brought you all here for the official naming ceremony of my cat. He is now to be known as Jongin’s Cat. Oh, and just so you know  it’s official, I had the medal engraved. Good bye.”

 

Behind him, Baekhyun collapsed into Chanyeol’s arms, sobbing dramatically at the loss of opportunity in naming. Sehun snorted at the name, and he could hear Kyungsoo glaring at Suho (Kyungsoo glared loudly). He would’ve stayed, to watch the aftermath of his announcement, but cool people don’t look at explosions.

 

Now that the boys were aware Jongin might’ve been sleepwalking, they got two people to watch Jongin sleep, without telling him first.

 

Apparently, the doctor was right. Jongin did sleepwalk. At least, that’s what he concluded after waking up tied extremely excessively to his bed. The dorm was empty of all except Minseok and Lay.

 

“Lay, untie me right now! I don’t have to be tied down anymore! I’m awake.”

 

Lay looked at him reproachfully. “Baekhyun told me you’d say that. But we can’t let you go until Baekhyun gets back.”

 

“Since when do you listen to Baekhyun?”

 

Lay gave him wide eyes. “Baekhyun is scary when he’s mad. You don’t know anything, since you have Kyungsoo to protect you, but that little thing is as evil a Satansoo, almost.”

 

Jongin sighed. “Minseok!”

 

“No thanks, don’t want eyeliner on my toothbrush again!”

 

Jongin sighed again, louder this time, and settled back into his bed, waiting until that annoying diva was back again.

 

As the weeks went on, the members started to find things again. Baekhyun found his necklace while going through Jongin’s underwear drawer.

 

“What the-why were you going through my underwear!?!”

 

Baekhyun shrugged. “I didn’t have any clean pairs.”

 

Chen found Lay’s music in the back of the freezer, wedged between the hidden popsicles and frozen beef. Chanyeol found his guitar pick in his guitar case.

 

“Maybe he didn’t take this after all,” he admitted sheepishly to Suho.

 

“I thought we had video proof of all the thefts?”

 

“Well, we don’t have a camera in the music room, so I just assumed.”

 

“Never assume,” advised Sehun, who had been walking by. “It makes-”

 

Kyungsoo glared. “If I hear that dumb phrase one more time, someone is going to get hurt.”

 

Sehun slinked back into his room.

 

All in all, the member’s strange adventure with the cat and the thief had turned out well. The dorm had a pet now, and Jongin stopped scoffing every time he heard a story about a good cat. Lay finished his song, and the company actually let him produce it. Kyungsoo had a friend to hide in the closet with him, when the stress of being a lead vocalist and rooming with the hottest member caught up with him.

 

And of course, ChanBaek adopted the cat as their child, got married (unofficially), and lived happily ever after.