The Present

Kai + Cat

"....happy birthday to Jongin! Happy birthday to you!" 

The room exploded with sound as Jongin smiled and blew out his candles. All around him people were clapping and cheering. Over the din he could hear the distinct sound of Chen screeching in the background. 

"Present time! Present time!" Someone started chanting, and soon everyone was shouting as they pushed Jongin towards the present pile. "Present time! Present time!"

Amidst the whirlwind of his crazy hyungs (plus Sehun), Jongin somehow managed to find his way to the couch, and sit at the "throne" they had designated for him. 

Suddenly, everything went eerily quiet. Jongin looked at his friends warily. "What-" he started to ask.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY JONGIN!!!!!!!!!!!" And the room exploded. Again. 

The sound of three or four idols screaming while everyone else covered their ears was deafening. Wrapping paper and tissue paper and strangely, bits of fake animal fur were flying through the air as if a tornado had started, and the presents were ripped opened by everyone, it seemed, except for Jongin himself. 

When the Chaos finally died down, there was only one unopened package, which sat in front of Jongin. He looked at it, and then at his crazy hyungs (plus Sehun). 

They were staring at him, with wide, excited eyes. 

He looked at them nervously; he could almost hear the sound of their heads internally exploding. 

The silence grew heavier. Jongin watched his hyungs warily. Sehun, at this point, was relaxing on the opposite couch, waiting for something interesting to happen. 

Jongin reached out towards the box, tentatively, and eyed Baekhyun, who was leaning far out of his seat. Baekhyun's eyes seemed almost wider than D.O's, if that's even possible. 

"Aish. Give me that!" The silence was broken. Baekhyun shot out of his seat at the speed of light, and the box was open before Jongin could blink. The open parcel was shoved into Jongin's lap. "There, you slowpoke. Now thank me."

Jongin ignored the demand, choosing instead to peer into the box, and almost gasped at what he saw. Had his crazy hyungs (plus- actually, Sehun probably hadn't bothered) really gotten him a puppy!?!

All he could see was a ball of dark brown fur. He reached down and gently pet the ball of fur. It trembled in a very cute way, but the texture of the fur felt strange. 

Jongin remembered the last time he had pet fur like that, and rubbed the scar on his arm absentmindedly. Could they really have be en crazy enough to have gotten him a cat?

He looked towards his hyungs as if for answer, and nodded to himself. Yep. They were definitely crazy enough. Still, he must be polite and well-mannered, especially with the cameras rolling in the background. 

He reached into the box again and drew out the cat, for it was indeed a cat. He placed the small devil in his lap, and set the empty box aside. It meowed softly, and snuggled deeper into his lap. Its head came up to rub against Jongin's hand and it purred. For the sake of the cameras, Jongin pet it the cat cautiously. It wasn't that he hated cats, necessarily. He just disliked them. Still, Jongin knew he would have to tolerate the cat, at least for a time. He sighed. Why were his fellow members all insane?