This is How You Play the Game (1/2)

Standing Still

It gets harder when it’s Monday. It means they all will shoot a new episode of Running Man. Exclusively for Jongkook, Monday meant he had to work hard, not only to win the game, but also to cover his heart from the entire world to see. It’s easier to hide from the citizen since all Running Man staff and PD seemed on his side. They cut off most Jongkook and Jihyo moment together. As said before, there’s no place for Jongkook’s love in the show. Maybe it’s bad for publicity, since Jihyo had her own made-up boyfriend. Whatever the reason, they gave Jongkook an advantage.

The worrisome are the other Running Man cast. Jaesuk is the first person Jongkook most worried. The older man is really good at catching stuff like this. Add it up, Jaesuk knew Jongkook too well from their years of working together. Sometimes, he could felt Jaesuk watched over him with unreadable eyes, as if he knew something he shouldn’t. Till today Jaesuk hadn’t said a word though. The second person is Jihyo herself. The reason she’s placed second is she’s really slow to catch up things like this. Jongkook didn’t have to over cautious with her since she never consider about the possibility in the first hand. Of course, all other members shouldn’t know about it either. 

Jongkook walked out from his car to enter the filming site with his manager. He did a little stretching while he’s walking. He’s on his fine condition again; though a little bit sore after the boxing match he had several days ago. It’s a foolish act of him and he regretted if it affected his performance today. Shoot a Running Man episode could be exhausting both physical and psychological. To Jongkook, sometimes the burden was great. It’s not because he was greedy to win, but because he wanted to do it well. He should go further, faster, higher, tougher than anyone else to live up his name as capable. Everyone else trusts him to bring them the victory, to prove to themselves that they can achieve anything the challenge. He determined to shoulder that responsibility, to see how far he could go.

The other important reason was to protect other members. They are all his family and he wanted to protect them all. He treasured them all like a jewel. Of course, the brightest jewel is Jihyo. She’s the only woman in the show. Even though she’s amazing and an excellent ace, she’s still a woman.  Sometimes there’re circumstances when it’s disadvantage for woman. She could easily get hurt in the middle of men brute fight. She could be shoved aside, men could fell down on her, and countless other things. Even though she’s definitely strong, she’s still vulnerable. She easily caught cold too. That’s the sole reason Jongkook always defended her not to fall into the water whenever there’re water game. Jongkook always make sure himself capable to prevent her got into those situations. He worked harder than anyone so he reduced the burden others had to shoulder by a big margin.

His trail of thought stopped when he arrived near the filming site. Jaesuk, Jihyo, and Kwangsoo were already standby at the site. They were chatting when he entered. Jihyo is the first one to recognize him. She smiled at him. The view was enough to send warmth through him. It gets harder to pretend each day. He thought he used to it but he never get used to it.

“Oppa!” she greeted him as usual. Jongkook smiled at the three and Kwangsoo moved a little to give him a space.

“Jongkook-ah, have you tried the food at S restaurant that Jihyo mentioned? It sounds great,” Jaesuk opened a new conversation to him.

Jongkook sensed all pair of eyes watched him, especially Jihyo’s. “Not yet, hyung. Jihyo told me few days ago, but I’m a little bit busy.”

“Hyung, are you making a new song right now?” Kwangsoo asked curiously.

Jaesuk added “Ah, really?” to hear the answer as well.

He nodded. “Yes, I’m composing a song for upcoming album. I’m also invited to sing in several shows, so I practice other song as well.”

“Ya… You really got lot of work. Do you perform as Turbo?” Jaesuk questioned. Meanwhile they saw Haha and Gary joined them in the filming site.

“Some are as Turbo, but there’s also solo performing.”

“Whoa hyung, your popularity is never end,” Kwangsoo retorted.

The conversation shifted to drama and show they enjoyed watching. They laughed when Gary sounded confuse because he didn’t really watch TV often. Jongkook laughed along with them and enjoyed their usual talk, though he could clearly sense Jihyo’s eyes drifted to him from time to time. Sukjin came up last and not long after, the PD shouted for them to standby for the opening.

They stood in line as usual. Jongkook moved to the furthest left, and Jaesuk stood in the middle as always. Unknown to him, Jihyo walked her way to stand beside him. Right about the opening started, she lightly touched Jongkook’s upper arm, earned the man’s attention.

“You look tired, oppa,” she commented, lifted her head to see his face clearly.

It’s amazing how Jongkook could stay composed and calm despite his inner self that already yearned to have more of her touch. He smiled and patted her hand that rested on his bicep. “I’m fine,” he reassured her. Battled his instinct, Jongkook detached her hand from him and put it at her side. He gave a squeeze to tell her he appreciated the touch and the attention.

Jihyo opened to argue, but the opening was starting at the same time, so she just looked at Jongkook’s face for a little while before looked to the front and paid her attention to the PD.

Today they have a battle with another team called athletic team. Athletic team is consisted of six men and one woman just like Running Man team. They are all actor and comedian who excel in sport. They all looked well-build and strong. Team Running Man started to complain about the unfairness in the game. The athletic team leads by Kim Taeho. Kim Taeho is an actor who played action film a lot. Among the others, he also the most well-build and looked strong. Kim Taeho also enjoys sport and learned Japanese martial art karate.

Everybody already waited for match between Jongkook and Taeho, since Taeho looked strong enough to get him. Kwangsoo even asked Taeho to hit Jongkook hard and teaches him some lesson. Taeho also admitted that he’s a competitive person.

“Actually, I’m very competitive,” he said in the opening after the team decided. “When I got an invitation to join the running man, I already have a desire to win.”

“You can get in line with the others and try to take down Kim Jongkook,” suggested Jaesuk that earned laugh from members.

“But like our team, Running Man also have a woman with them,” Taeho referred to Jihyo, which gained Jongkook’s attention. “I should be careful around her.”

“It’s not like that at all, Jihyo nunna is sometimes manlier than men,” Kwangsoo told him while frantically move his hand.

Everyone laughed at the remark. “She is pretty good, Taeho-ah,” added Jaesuk. “You should careful around her for different reason.”

“Ya, Jihyo is stronger than me,” Sukjin remarked. Jihyo smiled for the entire compliment they gave her.

“Really? Then I will look at Jihyo-ssi as a man,” Taeho said.

Everyone agreed and Jihyo bowed down slightly without really knowing the true mean of looking at her as a man. Practically all Running Man members treated her like that, so she didn’t really mind. She also refused to be treated as helpless girl. She would like to stand like an equal. Jongkook noticed that as well. Therefore he didn’t really get things easy for her, for sure she won’t accept it. Still, Jongkook never went on full power on her. He always careful not to hurt her in any way possible and protected her any way he can. Somehow Jongkook got a bad feeling about Taeho.

Soon they all changed into team clothes to begin the missions. Running Man team wore a red training jacket and sweatpants, while the athletic team color was blue. During the time, Jongkook didn’t chatter much, like he used to do. He still had this unknown gut that told him he should be careful today. He wondered what exactly this feeling he had. He thought back about Taeho’s declaration and pondered if that’s the reason for his unexplained feeling.

 “Kookjong-ah, you’ve been quiet. What’s wrong?” Jaesuk asked, stared through rear view mirror to see Jongkook, who sat on the middle with Gary and Haha. They were on the way to the location of the first mission.

“Nothing,” he replied. “I just have something in my mind.”

“Don’t tell me you’re worry about the athletic team hyung,” Kwangsoo commented.

“It can’t be. If Jongkook hyung doesn’t think he can, what should we do?” Gary argued that agreed by Haha and Sukjin.

“It’s okay, we can do this. Just stay focus and be careful,” Jongkook spoke to cheer them up. “Especially Kwangsoo and Sukjin hyung.”

Then they all teased the easy brother about their unluckiness. In the backseat, Jihyo studied Jongkook figured with questions on her own.

The first site was a field that separated into two by a white straight line in the middle. The first mission was princess dodge ball. The woman of each team will be the princess that should be protect. If the princess hit then it’s a game over for the team. The person who hit by the ball is considered out, except the last man who protected the princess. Hearing the first mission was princess dodge ball, Running Man team optimistic they could win this round.

“Both Gary and Jongkook are good in this,” Sukjin said.

“We should get either Gary hyung or Jongkook hyung to protect Jihyo,” Haha suggested that agreed by the other.

As they predicted, the athletic team is good. They are tough and threw a hard ball. It’s scared some of Running Man team. Among all of them, Taeho threw the ball hardest. He had a good aim. In no-time, the player reduced to four and three. Running Man team consisted of Jihyo, Jongkook, Gary, and Jaesuk, meanwhile athletic team consisted of Kim Taeho, their princess Nari, and Lee Sui. Both the princesses seek cover behind the rest player. Jihyo stood behind between Jongkook and Gary. Nari stood completely behind Taeho. The already oust player stood outside the line and created circle surrounded them, ready to help. To have Haha on the outside line is advantage for Running Man team. Haha is good at attack and strategies. He works well with others. Being outside meant he didn’t have to worry about the defense and focus fully on attack.

Now the ball is in Taeho hand. The Running Man team all became on alert. Jaesuk and Kwangsoo both shouted at them to keep up the good work and focused on the ball. Jongkook lower his stance, ready to dodge or catch the ball. He observed as Taeho had his eyes on Jihyo, ready to aim. In split second later, he threw the dreadfully fast ball. Thee angle is weird. Usually, when someone tries to out the princess, that person would aim for the legs, where there’re space for the ball to go through. Taeho threw the ball in the mid-air. The ball went straight to Jihyo’s face.

Without having any time to analyze, Jongkook’s body move. He took a split step to the right and extended his right hand to block the ball. He was almost late, the ball was on a couple inch away from Jihyo, who jerked back in shock and lifted her hands to cover her face. The ball hit Jongkook’s palm hard and slightly bended his fingers, then rolled to the side.

The scene caused uproar for both team. All shocked and didn’t really able to see clearly what exactly happened.

Jongkook lifted down his hand and tried to clench his fist, ignoring the pain for his slightly sprained fingers. He turned to check on her. Jihyo gazed back at him with her startle face. Jongkook examined her with his eyes to make sure she was alright. 

“Whoa, Taeho hyung is no joke. Did you just aim for the face?”

“The ball almost hit Jihyo nunna’s face,” protested Kwangsoo that agreed by Running Man team. Haha and Sukjin kept repeating how the situation isn’t right.  

On the other side, Taeho quickly apologize. “I’m very sorry. I intend to aim on legs. How could the ball when into that direction?”

Gary and Jaesuk both surrounded Jihyo and Jongkook in the middle. “Jihyo-ah, you okay?”

“It didn’t hit me, oppa. Jongkook oppa managed to block it.”

Jaesuk averted his attention to Jongkook. “It doesn’t hurt?”

“It’s not. It’s okay, I’m out,” Jongkook answered calmly. Even the PD came to their circle to check, along with the rest of both teams that’s being out.

In mid of all off this, Taeho walked closer to their circle. “Aigoo, what have I done? You guys alright?” he asked while walking.

Jongkook ce again to look into the direction Taeho went from. He was standing between Taeho and Jihyo. His body almost completely shielded Jihyo from Taeho’s view. “We’re fine,” Jongkook replied to stop Taeho from coming closer.

“I feel really bad. I’m sorry Song Jihyo-ssi. I’m also surprised that the ball almost hit you in the face. I’m really sorry, Aigoo, why all of sudden I’m this bad at control the ball?” Taeho repeatedly asked while bowed.

Jihyo placed her hand at Jongkook’s back while she’s taking one step to reveal herself. She bowed down to Taeho too. “Ah, it’s okay. It didn’t hit me. It’s not a big deal, oppa,” she reassured Taeho. Hearing her replied also reassured Jongkook, though Jongkook could swear that the throw Taeho did earlier was intentional.

Then Taeho offered his hand which Jihyo easily took and they both shake hands to prove that there’s no hard feeling between them. With that, also the PDs and crews that sure that everything's fine made the situation is back to normal. Jaesuk even joke that Jongkook’s quick reflex save Jihyo’s pretty face so that Jihyo will still be able to work, to lift up the mood. The filming continue with the referee blew up his whistle and announced Jongkook out.

Jongkook walked off the area to join the oust team outside the line. He patted Jihyo on the back while walking. “You did good, stay close with Gary,” he coached her. Jihyo nodded and gripped Gary’s jacket from the back.

Jongkook stood behind the athletic group, a position where he could attack and kept an eye on Taeho. Jaesuk ousted Lee Sui, and the athletic team ousted Jaesuk. It’s two on two now and the only way to win is to oust the princess. Gary defended Jihyo well, blocked every attack that came from the athletic team. Jihyo also did a good job by stick with Gary. Everything went smoothly until the athletic team passed the ball among them which made Gary turned so fast that Jihyo lost her momentum and slipped. Taeho spotted that and attacked. The ball hit Jihyo on the waist and thus brought the victory to the athletic team.

The athletic team all cheered and hugged each other while Running Man team all looked drained. Jongkook watched from a side when Kwangsoo and Jaesuk helped Jihyo to stand.

“They are good,” Gary Said next to him, exhausted.

Jongkook patted him on the back once, cheered him up without words.

The PD announced that athletic team won the first mission. All team clapped and they went off to the location of second mission. 

 

 

 

 

(Lady Deb)

 


Thank you all for the great enthusiasm about this story. I really didn't expect it at all. Thank you very much

I really want to write about running man game in my fics even just once. The continuation of the game will be on the next chapter. 

happy reading ^^