Insanity

Standing Still

Kapjin became a witness when Jongkook drove into the brink of insanity. The moment Jongkook heard those loud screaming, he almost went ballistic. Every part of his body shook with tension. Despite his body went into high tension, his mind electrocuted. He can’t think, he didn’t want to think about anything. After Kapjin desperate shout for him to stay calm and not to do anything stupid such as jumped out of the car and ran aimlessly, Jongkook had a blackout. His vision suddenly blackened and cold sweat drenched his body. He gritted his teeth, palm curled into tight fist, and emitted a raw energy that felt heavy.

The manager stole a glance here and then. Jongkook took it the hard way. For someone as him, whom always tried his best for anything, to control everything, and never back down on his word, the situation was twice as hard. He promised her. He promised to protect her, to not let anything hurt her. He failed. And now he couldn’t function properly, added to his uselessness. His mind screamed in constant, made everything hurt. Even breathing constricted his chest.

“Kookjong-ah, you should stay calm at time like this,” Kapjin persuaded his singer who still closed his eyes tightly. “Let’s do our best to do something to safe Jihyo-ssi. If you panic, we can’t do anything.”

There was no reaction. The manager stole another nervous look. If earlier the panic state Jongkook was in was scary, this was two times scarier. Kapjin started to worry, over both Jongkook and Jihyo. Even though he never did before, he stepped on the gas and their car streaked through the crowd. They undergo several law violations for driving that made Kapjin thought it’s about time polices tried to stop them.

“Jongkook-ah,” he called again. “Let’s call someone. You asked me to call detective Jung before. Let’s call him and explain the situation. He will know what to do.”

There was still no reaction from the singer. It’s as if Jongkook shut himself from the world, focused only with his internal reactions. Kapjin searched for the singer’s phone and found it at the singer’s grip. Kapjin took it, anticipated for any form of resistance, but he got none. Jongkook allowed him to easily take the phone. Kapjin scrolled through the contact, whilst looked out for the road. He found contact named detective Jung. He dialed it.

“Hello?”

“Is this detective Jung?”

The tone over there suddenly became serious. “Who is this?”

“This is Kapjin, Kim Jongkook’s manager.”

“Is Kim Jongkook alright?”

Kapjin stole another glance. Jongkook still showed no reaction. So, is he alright? Kapjin got no answer for that. Alas, he answered the detective. “It’s more about Song Jihyo-ssi.”

“What happened?”

The manager briefly explained the situation they were in to the detective. Detective Jung didn’t give much reaction, only asked about their whereabouts and when did Jongkook got the call. His voice was always steady, influenced Kapjin to stay calm. Moreover, he got reaction from Jongkook. When he told the detective about the scream, Jongkook’s fist twitched. Kapjin took it gladly.

“Can I talk to Kim Jongkook?” detective Jung inquired after Kapjin finished explaining.

The manager activated the speaker of the phone then told the detective. “Kim Jongkook-ssi? Listen carefully. The last time we met, I ask Song Jihyo-ssi to always turn on her GPS in her phone and connect it to some people she trust. I believe she already did that. I want you to check your phone. Can you locate her?”

That’s when Jongkook gradually came alive. He took his phone and checked it up. Kapjin can’t see what he did, but Jongkook’s next comment made him sigh in relief.

“I know where she is.”

“Tell me the location,” detective Jung instructed. Jongkook read the location for him. “Alright, I will tell the police immediately. Kim Jongkook-ssi, I know it’s futile for me to stop you from going there. Therefore, I won’t, but I do will warn you to be careful for yourself. You know the risk, we’ve talked about this. Don’t act brusquely. You will wait for the police, is that clear?”

The tension was heavy when Jongkook didn’t utter his conscience. His eyes looked far away. Several moments passed and as if he just realized every moment was important for Jihyo, he replied. “I will.”

After that detective Jung cut off their connection. Without instructed, Kapjin already set the GPS inside the car to the address Jongkook just told the detective. Now that there’s a chance to find Jihyo, Jongkook became an entirely different from before. His eyes sharped, watched as they drove fast. His body came on siege. He called Jaesuk, briefly explained the situation and told him to tell others. He promised Jaesuk he will bring Jihyo back, a promise that Jongkook promised to himself.

Kapjin felt relief that Jongkook more like himself now. At least the singer was doing something, not merely an empty shell. The relief came along with worry about what would the singer do. The manager knew how Jongkook would take the matter into his own hand, despite the risk. Same with detective Jung, nothing Kapjin said would change his mind. Kapjin didn’t try, he just hoped there’s enough luck for everyone and both Jihyo and Jongkook will be safe.

“Pull over,” Jongkook told him.

They pulled over and went out in an instant. Now that they really paid attention to their surroundings, they realized they were in the empty lot near series of abandoned buildings. It’s dark, with only few insufficient white street lights. The abandoned buildings lined together, all looks old, empty, and forgotten. The breeze was cold, sent a shiver down both of their spine. It’s eerie. Ghost could jump out any second and none of them will be surprised.

Kapjin tapped Jongkook shoulder and pointed at abandoned car camouflaged by the bushes. Both men walked toward the car. Jongkook turned over his shoulder for time to time, can’t ignore the feeling of being seen by someone unseen. They stood next to the car. The manager peeked through the tinted window glass. No one was in the car.

“He ditched the car here. It’s new,” Kapjin said after studied the black car.

Jongkook looked around then back to his phone. “The GPS pointed exactly this location,” he told his manager.

 The manager seemed lost. “What is that mean?”

The singer looked for Jihyo’s phone number in his contact and pressed called. Nothing happened. Then Kapjin tapped him once again, gestured him to look through the tinted window. Jongkook obeyed and took a look. There was sudden glowing light over the back seat inside the car. It was the actress’s phone.

Both Jongkook and Kapjin looked at each other, and back and fro looked at the direction of lined abandoned buildings. Fear build up into tight fists inside Jongkook’s gut. He felt nausea and lightheaded, his hands clammy with cold sweat. His heart thumped beneath his ribcage that made each intake of breath hurt.

Where is she? Jongkook had this primal urge to see her, to flip the earth and the sky to search for her. The thought of her getting hurt numbed him, so Jongkook tried hard to shove that thought away. Instead, he drifted his mind to focus on finding her. He needed to do that, in order to properly function. This was crucial, he can’t falter now.

“Where do you think he takes Jihyo-ssi?” Kapjin muttered to him, scanned the surroundings around them carefully, as if the actress probably was near. Kapjin looked at his artist when he didn’t get a reply. “You think he took her there?” he asked again when he realized Jongkook never lost his sight from the series of abandoned buildings.

“He is,” Jongkook answered with a certainty. “That’s the best place to kidnap someone without anyone noticing, that bastard.”

Kapjin shuddered by the calm way Jongkook said the last sentence. He never heard the singer cursed until now. “Detective Jung already called the police, they will be here any moment now. They will tear each building to find Jihyo-ssi. We just have to wait a little longer.”

A little longer, did she really have that much time?

All of sudden, Jongkook’s ringtone broke the silence between them. Jongkook saw an unknown number on his screen. His heart started the crazy rhyme again, it’s him, Jongkook was sure of it. He answered the call.

“Guess what I should do for her to give up your number. There’s nothing a little pain can’t manage,” said the man over the line.

The manager watched as Jongkook’s face gradually became darker. When the singer asked about Jihyo’s whereabouts, Kapjin dialed detective Jung with his own phone. After a good ten seconds, a moment too fast for Kapjin to react, Jongkook ended the call, looked at him in the eyes and said:

“She’s on the second building,” and he started running toward the said building, ignoring Kapjin’s shout of his name.

***

She was disoriented. Was it a day? Was it just an hour after he brought her here? It feels like endless. Her memory only came into bits and pieces, all blurry. She tried to memorize where he took her, but after a flight of stairs and turns, she didn’t remember. All of her body hurt, one of them was her scalp. She threw a good fight to escape, but Changjo dragged her by her hair, effectively dodged her kick and scratch.

Jihyo was breathing hard even now, after the frantic attempt to escape. She opened her eyes and saw the gray ceiling of the building. Then she just realized that she was lying on the cold dirty floor. She must have blackout for a while. She could taste blood in . That must be when Changjo hit her earlier. What was he said again? Oh yeah, how dare you leave me?

That sentence muttered in repeat every time Changjo blow her face. Jihyo can’t feel her right face. It’s even hard to open her right eye fully. Carefully, she moved her head. The intense pain pierced through her skull and tears welled up her eyes. She bit her lips to fight back a groan but it added her pain. She groaned.

 “Ah, you’re awake.”

The voice sent cold all over her body. She squint her eyes and found Changjo sat on the chair on her left. As soon she located him, she scooted her body away from him. Every move sent her over the edge. The back of her head sent light spark after dark spots. Her futile attempt brought him to chuckle. There’s movement from him and Jihyo’s eyes shot open. She turned her head and watched cautiously when she saw what Changjo was doing.

He had a dagger on his left hand. On his right was a lighter. He was heated the blade with the lighter. As he did that, he watched her purplish beaten face. He smiled that cruel smile and somewhere in her mind, Jihyo realized there’s insanity within him. And he’s dangerous.

“I did quite a good job on your face,” he mocked, and laughed at his own joke. “Darling, I won’t have to do this if you not leave me with that brute.”

He waited for her answer. Jihyo didn’t answer him, she just weakly closed her eyes, hoping all of this just a terrible nightmare.  Changjo scoffed in disbelieve regarded her response. “What? Do you ignore me now?” The CEO rose suddenly, knocked his chair in the process. He tossed the lighter somewhere and stepped closer to Jihyo.

Jihyo gasped as he got closer, lifted up the heated dagger in threatened manner. “No, oppa,” she cried. Her cried halted him. He watched her with interest. Jihyo would never beg for anything, but in this situation, she will do anything to get out of this hell. “Please,” she begged. “Please.”

“Please what?” Changjo asked with a big smile, clearly enjoying this.

“Please let me out.”

By the time the sentence escaped , she noticed the change within him. There’s the same dangerous glint crossed his eyes, the same glint that appeared before he beat her before. When she realized it, it was too late.

“I don’t think I punish you enough,” with that sentence, he pressed the heated blade to her skin.

 

 

 

 Written By : Lady Deb

 


Hiiii, so here's the next chapter. I don't intent to keep it for this long but writing suspense is kinda new so yeah, I've struggled. But I enjoy it, I hope you guys enjoy it too. See ya on the next chapter.