Now Brewing

Scribbles

A/N: This was originally going to be a string of shots, but I decided against it at the last minute.

 

 

“Why do you have a cat here?” The look on the woman’s face was priceless. The double chin she’d been trying to hide coming out as she tries to pull her face back like that was going to help.

 

I resist the urge to roll my eyes at her, God knows how tough that was. My tolerance for stupid people wasn’t that high to begin with.

 

I lean forward, arms on the table stabilising my stance. It doesn’t take long for me to feel the soft fur tickling the underside of my chin followed by the sudden weight on my shoulder. The soft purring sounded loud now that the source was basically pressed up against my ear. It was nice, definitely helps in calming me down.

 

“Because I own this place, and she” I reach to gently rub my thumb and index on the underside of the cat’s chin. “is my familiar. So, now that we’ve got that out of the way, can I help you?” I’m not scared. This is my place- my territory- and if she doesn’t like how I run my business then she can get the hell out of my property.

 

“Can you get rid of that thing?” Rude. She isn’t even looking at me anymore, going around browsing the books stacked along the shelves. I doubt she’d find anything she’d like at the Classical section. She doesn’t look like the intellectual kind.

 

“No.” I narrow my eyes at her form as she moves about.

 

“Do you just let that thing go around?”

 

“No. She’s mostly just within my field of vision.”

 

“On your shoulder.” She looks over my way, blowing a snort through her nose.

 

Swine. That’s what she looks like. A swine with a bright blond wig parading as a human.

 

Classy.

 

I put on a smile, doing my best not to look too happy at the mental image that’s invaded my thoughts. “She’s the cuddling type.” And to prove my statement I feel her head rubbing up to the side of my face. I gently nudge her head away, that annoying habit of hers can be so distracting. Her claws lightly dig into my shirt, scrapping a bit of my skin, before retracting and lowering her head to rest.

 

“As I said, can I help you?”

 

Help find the door.. Or a deodorant. Does that woman not know showers? Jesus, help us.

 

… I highly doubt even Jesus could help us.

 

“I’m looking for a specific.. item. I heard you’re the place to go to for such item.”

 

Is that item a powerful deodorant?

 

“I see..” I wait for her expectantly, but instead of continuing she stalks closer.

 

Jesus Christ. Not any closer.

 

There’s a hissing by my ear and I feel the weight lift off my shoulder. The light tapering sound lets me know that she’s clambered up to the higher shelf. The woman hesitates, throwing a cautious look at the black cat now stalking above my head.

 

“Really. That cat should be on a leash.”

 

Cats aren’t normally on leashes, moron.

 

“Unfortunately, I’m fresh out of leashes. If that’s what you’re looking for might I suggest a pet store.” I think I hit a nerve. The woman’s face scrunches up as if she had just smelt a foul stench.

 

Has she sniffed herself?

 

“What kind of establishment are you running, miss..”

 

“Jung.” I filled in for her. “And I have to say, I run a pretty decent shop, though the customers I have little to no control over.”

 

“Are you implying something miss Jung?” Her eyes narrow and now that I get a closer look at her I do see the semblance with her little beady eyes behind all the pink flesh.

 

I put on a pleasant smile, easier to pull off now with the warped yet hilarious mental image. “Of course, not. Now, shall we get down to business?

 

So you can get your stink out of here.

 

I send a warning look up at the pair of amber eyes peering down at us. She was emitting a warning rumble, crouched and ready to pounce. The woman seems to take notice as she takes a step back, accidentally bumping the table filled with the recent popular books. Some of them topple over the table and I had to restrain myself from shouting at her carelessness. Those poor books. They’re going to have creases even before someone’s had the pleasure to open them. This was exactly why I didn’t like children in my store.

 

“Right.” The woman straightens, brushing imaginary dust off her clothes. I wouldn’t be surprised if my palms were bleeding from my nails digging into the flesh. The woman wasn’t even trying to be a decent human being. “I’m looking for a few items of value.”

 

Oh my God, woman, get straight to the point and get it done with!

 

“It’s best you step through the back.” I shift to the side, reaching back to the velvety feel of the burgundy curtain that hid my more precious items. As much as I didn’t want her to stink up my place I didn’t want her hanging around too much either. The klutz might do more damage the longer she stayed.

 

The woman, nose turned to the air, breezes through the small distance. She pauses at the walkway, beady eyes warily glancing up at the louder rumbling emitting from my stalking familiar before quickly ducking behind the curtains.

 

After a quick wave of my wrist, I step in after her, losing the plastic smile.

 

 

 

 

 

“Ha!” The following string of unique laughter echoed within the four walls of the shop. Some of the glass jars quivered on their spots on the shelf, and I’m just glad for the foresight of choosing the ones with front stoppers.

 

I can never get used to her ground shaking laughter. I don’t know what that angel sees in this imp.

 

Glowing green eyes snapped my way. I rolled my eyes at the dark look, choosing to ignore the low growling from behind me as my familiar gears up to pounce- or scramble to safety.

 

“I can hear your intrusive thoughts and I resent you poking fun of my height. I am well aware of what I’m lacking, thank you very much.” The demon growled, parking her on one of the crates I’ve yet to start unpacking.

 

I’m only presenting facts, Taeyeon. Don’t get your in a bunch.

 

The demon looks up from her perch, a manic smile on her face as she let loose a few hissing chuckles. “Well, jokes on you. I’m not wearing any.”

 

“Oh, good God. Get off my merchandise!” I stalk over to her, grabbing at her wrist and yanking her off the box as hard as I can. Fortunately, she manages to steady the crates, pushing them back upright. Doesn’t stop her from giving me the stink eye. Not that I care. I shoo her off, already checking the box for any… unwanted stains. I check the jars inside too, just in case.

 

“I don’t want you anywhere near my stuff. Don’t know what dirty deeds you’ve been up to.”

 

“Well…” she drawls teasingly, baring her sharp canines in a wide grin. “before I came here our favourite angel had me practicing my halleluiah..”

 

I quickly plug my ears, shooting her the darkest glare I could muster. She only laughs at my attempt. Hard to win a glaring contest with one of Satan’s hellspawn.

 

“You are unbelievable.” I hiss at her. She grins demonically, her eyes slightly hooded in that ‘I-know-your-darkest-desires’ look, her inhumanely white teeth practically glowing as she smirked.

 

“Well, honey, that’s what makes me all the more enchanting. Nothing like a good bad girl to get your-“

 

“I swear, you finish that sentence I’ll have your girlfriend put you on time out.” That wipes the smile off her face. It actually made her look demonic with her lips straight and her eyes burning with murderous intent. Never get in between a demon and their desires.

 

Fortunately, this particular demon’s deep desire can put her in a metaphorical leash. Even more fortunate, I happen to be close friends with this particular demon’s desire. Now, I don’t know what the rules are for angels and demon’s, and I don’t particularly care enough to find out, but I’m surprised neither one had been booted out of their respective duties for being each other’s booty call.

 

“Testy…” Taeyeon sneers. “Someone needs to get a good lay.”

 

“Oh, off. Not everyone needs to get ed to function.” She laughs heartily. Of course, she would. Nothing quite hits her funny bone as much as ual references can.

 

ert.

 

“I’m not the one stalking overhead for most days.” Taeyeon shoots back, her green eyes shifting up to my familiar staring down at her. One side of her lips quirks up into a crooked grin. “Isn’t that right, Yuri?”

 

Piss off, demon. She hissed, her tail wagging in a way that was more of a warning than playful. Her paws were halfway hanging down, back curved and rear haunches wind up and ready to launch at a seconds notice.

 

“What’re you going to do, cat? Scratch me to death?” Taeyeon taunts, barring her teeth up at the hissing cat. In hindsight, putting the both of them in the same space really wasn’t a good idea, especially in a room full of breakable merchandises.

 

“Stop bothering Yuri.” I swatted at Taeyeon’s biceps, regretting it a second later when the pain shoots up all the way to my elbow. I fan my hand from side to side, easing the sting with the help of the cool air and the movement. I keep forgetting that her demon skin, despite how skinny she looks, is as hard as rocks. “And you!” I switch my glare over to Yuri. “Do anything reckless and I’ll throw you out for the rest of the evening.”

 

I continue eyeing her as her feline body unwound, ears folding slightly back as she drops down to one of the crates. She curls up into a small ball, her amber eyes locked intently a Taeyeon’s lounging form.

 

It had been that way for as long as I had Yuri and accidentally summoned Taeyeon. It had been by pure luck that I got the puny demon instead of the actual demon I had been trying to summon, or so Taeyeon claims. She had said that Yuri’s protective reaction had amused her so much that she was willing not to play me for my soul in exchange of letting her wander around the Earth as she pleases. Of course, I didn’t believe a word she said. My mistake was that I didn’t realise that I couldn’t send her away without actually doing an exchange of services.

 

Lucky for me, she’s found a keen interest with one of my long-time friend. Even luckier, the feeling was mutual. It was enough for me as a guarantee that the contract wouldn’t backfire on me in the worst way possible.

 

The only problem was that Yuri abhors the demon class with passion and Taeyeon was all too game to rile her up.

 

Can’t you go bother other people?

 

“Why? I’m already having a blast bothering you.” Yuri’s ears press up against her skull as she hisses a warning. She doesn’t do anything else so I pretend not to have heard and continued with my unloading.

 

“Need a hand?” I hear Taeyeon offer along with the creak of the floorboards as she moves about. Before I can answer a thump to my side has me jumping in my skin and whirling to the source.

 

Stay away from her!

 

Pupils constricted, fur standing on end, her body bowed with her stiff tail lowered, Yuri yowled, occasionally hissing and baring her teeth at Taeyeon. It was an automatic response, a self-preservation instinct if you will- I made a frantic grab at her, pressing her up against my chest to snap her out of the fight mode she had fallen under. The last thing I wanted was one of them to start a fight I knew would result in a huge loss I certainly would have trouble moving on from.

 

“Oh, this is just… perfect!” Taeyeon crackles, holding her hands up defensively as she backs down. Yuri was still emitting low growls, her paws pushing up against my arms, ready to leap at the taunting demon. “Little, bitty, kitty protecting little miss I-know-what-I’m-doing from the bad demon.”

 

“Stop it, Taeyeon.” I snap at her, turning away to act as a barrier between them. Yuri struggles wildly that she manages to claw her way up to my shoulder. Her claws, even though we’ve had them cut, dig into my skin and I yelp from the pain, easing up on my hold on her. She stiffens, retracting her claw as she begins purring, pressing her head against my cheek apologetically.

 

I am so sorry! I didn’t mean that. So sorry!

 

“If you’re so sorry, stop trying to fight with her. I don’t want any one of you trying something stupid inside my shop.” I yell at the both of them, pushing Yuri’s head away while I was at it. She manages to clamber over my shoulder, still projecting her thoughts while pressing her whole body against my neck.

 

“Especially you!” I round upon Taeyeon. The demon has the decency to pull a straight face even though I know she wouldn’t actually listen to me. “Stop egging her on. You know she dislikes demons.”

 

“Pretty shallow of her to lump us all in a group, when only one of us turned her into a cat.”

 

I press my hand against the top of Yuri’s head, stopping her from pouncing, and threw Taeyeon a dirty look. She gives me a crooked grin, crossing her arms and nodding her head once.

 

“Fine. I’ll behave, for today.”

 

“What are you even doing here?”

 

“I have nothing else to do. I thought I’d give you a hand.”

 

You’re not needed here, demon. And what can you help with? You twist everything you touch.

 

“Ah, well not everything..” there’s a lewd smile on her face that makes me want to hurl something at her to wipe it away. I’m pretty sure what she’s implying at and I do not want to put that sort of imagery in my head.

 

“What happens between the sheets stays there.” I snap at Taeyeon, glowering at her. If I was a cat I’d probably growl at her too. Or spring up to somewhere I can’t hear her annoying laugh- which, by the way, just didn’t fit her image, being a short demon and all. It sounded much like the old ladies selling vegetables at the market really (with an addition of a small localised tremor). Haven’t told her. I still like my curse free life.

 

She raises her hands in surrender, backing down and leaning against one of the pillars, trying to be as inconspicuous as a 4”11+’ high, greyish-pale skinned, green-eyed demon could. If she stayed really still and closed her eyes, she could probably pass off as one of those creepy graveyard statues.

 

Of course, I don’t believe her one bit. I’d be a massive fool if I did. Taeyeon liked to play games, it’s in her nature to do so. I, for one, don’t have the luxury of time to play her little, twisted games. I set Yuri onto one of the nearby crates, prying off her claws digging to my clothes. I don’t like them fighting, but Yuri acts as my personal security system and foolish as it may sound, this little feline looking over me actually calms my nerves enough for me to function freely. If she could just stop trying to hitch a ride on my shoulders and hinder my work.