Vampire

Scribbles

A/N: I read a prompt for this a long time ago. Inspiration's just hit me and this short came about. Enjoy.

 

 

“Admit it, unnie! Admit it and I won’t tell a soul about this!”

 

Sooyoung arched a brow at the scene playing out before her. She had just gotten around to finishing her load of encoding patient details and the rumble in her tummy reminded her of the treat waiting for her in the break room fridge. It was way past sundown and the rest of the morning shifters had long packed up and went home, which meant that there wouldn’t be a pile of warm bodies’ smashed together in the cramp room racing for the chance to use the singular microwave. Exactly why Sooyoung loved doing afternoon and night shifts. The break times were the perfect time to kick back, relax and have a delectable treat without noisy people to worry about. Most of the time.

 

She eyed the grouchy look on her best friend’s face, the short woman looking like she was on the verge of getting an aneurism. Maybe she was. The new staff, as pretty as she is, had been consistently hounding the shorter senior for nearly a month. She was convinced that she was a vampire purely based on her physical appearance.

 

Sooyoung couldn’t blame the young supernatural enthusiast. Taeyeon had fit the description of the cold blood er to a T.

 

“What’s going on here?” She decided to but in, warily eyeing the blood bag Yoona was wagging in the air like dirty laundry.

 

“Soo unnie! Look what I found in the back of the fridge!”  Yoona’s eyes were practically sparkling as she shoved the bag to Sooyoung direction.

 

Taeyeon was shaking her head at the background, her shoulders deflating in exhaustion. So much for not telling a soul.

 

“Yoona, why are you waving around a blood bag? You do know if you drop it it’s going to be hell of a clean-up for those involved.”

 

“But unnie! This is my proof! I’ve always suspected Taeyeon unnie was vampire. This is it! This was the last definite proof that she’s exactly that! The dark force of the night, lurking in the shadows to hunt for unsuspecting prey.”

 

“That sounds a lot like batman.” Taeyeon wryly commented as she deflates onto one of the chairs.

 

“Batman is a whole different thing!” Yoona rounded back to Taeyeon, a eating grin on her pretty face. “Admit it, Taeyeon-unnie.”

 

“Or what?” Taeyeon challenges.

 

“Or I’ll drain this blood bag down the sink and you won’t have your precious blood supply!”

 

“You can’t even prove that’s mine. Hell, we’re in a hospital, someone could have left it there as a last resort.”

 

“Oh, why the defensive answer unnie? Is it because it’s true? Is the reason why you’re so tired and pale because you haven’t had a drop of blood yet? Do you feel cold unnie? Or is it just because you’re undead and the cold stopped being an issue?”

 

“Oh My God.” Taeyeon groans, the upper half of her body slumping tiredly onto the long table and Sooyoung loses it. Her chuckles rebound around the four corners of the room and she staggers to the closest chair, tears in her eyes.

 

“Oh, Yoona, you kill me.” She chuckles, brushing the corners of her eyes. Sooyoung looks to her best friend and nearly chokes at the glare directed her way. She waved her hands, blocking Taeyeon’s priceless look before she directs her attention to the confused junior.

 

“Trust me Yoona, Taeyeon’s no vampire.”

 

“But unnie..” Yoona leans closer towards her, motioning for her to move closer. She grins, leaning over to humour her. “vampires are notorious for mind control. She could be lying to us all, letting us see only what she wants us to see.”

 

Sooyoung can’t help the subsequent laughter that erupts from her chest. She was tickled pink and her gut was beginning to hurt from it all. It was all so damn worth seeing the look on Taeyeon’s face.

 

“Taengoo can’t even control her dog. Trust me, that tiny woman over there is a harmless house fairy.”

 

“Bu-but-” Yoona throws a glance over her shoulder. Taeyeon hasn’t moved from her lethargic position. “The blood bag..”

 

“It’s not mine.” Taeyeon voices out irately. Sooyoung chuckles when Yoona’s face blanches.

 

“Super hearing!” She wheezes.

 

Taeyeon rolls her eyes. “This is a tiny space. I swear this place echoes at times.”

 

“She’s right you know.” Sooyoung nods her head.

 

Unwilling to back down Yoona pushes the rest of her theories. “Well, then how is she so pale? Like, it’s not even the normal pale.”

 

“That’s because Taengoo’s a er for routine and she barely leaves her house unless she really needs to.”

 

“That’s true.” Taeyeon agrees.

 

“She’s always looking like she’s so close to death. And her hands are always cold.”

 

“Honey, if I was as thin and short as her I wouldn’t have much energy to do anything either. Not even to warm myself up.” Taeyeon snorts indignantly at the explanation but doesn’t try to pitch in her own thoughts.

 

“Well, why is she always doing night shifts then?”

 

“Sooyoung’s doing the same.” Taeyeon points out.

 

“Well..” Yoona falters. She puts the bag down, mentally preparing her next pitch. Sooyoung beats her to it, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder and putting on a soft smile.

 

“Taeyeon isn’t a vampire. I’ve been her friend since we were young and I’d say it’s pretty damn hard to hide things from people you’ve known nearly your entire life. I know her, and she’s no vampire.” She gives the crestfallen Yoona a firm squeeze on her shoulder.

 

“Go on. I’m taking my break now and I’m sure Taeyeon’s just started hers too. We’ll be back as soon as we finish here.”

 

Yoona heaves a deep sigh, head hanging with her chin to her chest. “Okay..” the word that left was her way of conceding defeat. She had nothing else to put on the table and after having her findings shot down mercilessly she knew she had to back down.

 

The two watched Yoona leave, Sooyoung following after her shoulder slumped form until she turns a corner. She waits a few more seconds before she closes the door after her, pressing the lock into place before crashing back on a seat.

 

“That was close!” She giggles, reaching for the forgotten blood bag.

 

“Damn it Soo! Stop leaving your lying out in the open like that. I nearly had a heart attack when I came in with Yoona holding up the blood bag.”

 

“Bah!” Sooyoung waved her away, excitedly breaking the seal of the bag and tilting back for a long drink. The painful gurgling in her stomach ceased and it was as if she was given a new life. She felt stronger, more focused. She grinned toothily at the grimace Taeyeon throws her way.

 

“That is still disgusting no matter how many times I’ve seen you do it.”

 

“Well, I’d say the same to that God awful sugar water you like to consume and the packets of jelly that fills up your locker. I’m surprised Yoona never suspected you of being a fairy with your over the top sweet tooth.”

 

“Speaking off, can you please stop telling people I’m a fairy? It’s already bad enough some people think I’m a vampire.”

 

“They never take my word seriously.” Sooyoung leaned back in her chair. “I wonder when Yoona’s going to sniff out our resident werewolf?”

 

Taeyeon arches her brows at the mischievous smirk and shakes her head. “You’re liking this way too much.”

 

Sooyoung grins and nonchalantly shrugs her shoulders. "I guess having a human in the night shift wasn't such a bad idea after all."