The Visitor

Scribbles

A/N: Extra long oneshot. Take this as my apology from my long absence.

 

~~~

 

Tiffany remembers the first time they met. It was a bit hazy, she couldn’t remember how the girl ended up there and if she spoke to her or not, one she deduced was mainly the effects of the drug injected into her bloodstream. But she remembered her clearly.

 

Her skin was pale white, not the sickly kind yet not quite normal even for Korean standards. She was small in stature and skinny, exacerbated by the loose shirt she wore over her thin frame. If it weren’t for the casual clothes she wore Tiffany would have pegged her to be one of the other patients that snuck out of their room for a little adventure. Even if she was Tiffany wouldn’t blame her. Idle minds wander, so will idle feet.

 

The color of her hair was a deep contrast to her skin. A dark shade of brown, had it not been for the aid of the bright fluorescent light Tiffany would have thought it was black. And so were her eyes.

 

The most vivid part of that memory was the point when their eyes met. There was a subtle shift on her emotionless face. The slight widening of her eyes, the inquisitive arch of her brows as she stared unabashedly. Curious. Despite wanting to watch the next move of the intruder Tiffany’s heavy lids finally won against her stubbornness.

 

She doesn’t see the girl again for the next few days and was so sure that she was nothing other than a creation of her imaginative mind in the middle of her drug induced state when she saw her again. Or rather, when she decided to pay her a visit.

 

Tiffany didn’t hear her come in, too lost in the romance between the pages of a book to even hear the opening and closing of the door. She probably wouldn’t have taken notice of her visitor had her eyes not protest from skimming through the sweetness of the inked words and she had to look away from her book.

 

Tiffany started. She took a quick intake of breath and placed a hand over her erratically beating heart, willing it to calm down. After a moment her eyes trailed back to the still form sitting stiffly on the steel chair her father diligently sat at during visiting hours. Her older siblings had often jokingly referred to the chair as the throne, playfully shooing away anyone who attempted to take residence on the chair that it was weird seeing someone that wasn’t her father there.

 

She shook away the silly thought, putting on a smile as she lifted a hand and wiggled her fingers in greeting. The visitor didn’t move, her dark eyes never leaving Tiffany’s face. It was intimidating, to say the least, but Tiffany wasn’t about to let this go. With her father out of the country on a business trip and her siblings returning to their own work visitors- that wasn’t her doctor or nurse- became scarce. None of her school friends have paid her a visit even once, and she can’t even be sure if they know where she is in the first place- except one. Call her desperate but she was going to strike a conversation with this visitor. Besides, she thought, a girl that small and skinny hardly seem like the dangerous kind.

 

“So you decided to come back. I was beginning to think you weren’t real. I wasn’t really all here the first time.” That seems to snap the visitor out of her reverie. She blinked at Tiffany, now looking more like a lost child with set in a small pout. She kept her silence for just a few more seconds before she spoke.

 

Her voice was soft, fitting her child-like face, but her words, though short, reflected maturity that lacked in her appearance. “Your humour is quite refreshing in a place like this.”

 

Tiffany shrugged nonchalantly, slipping her bookmark between the pages as she placed it beside her. As an extrovert, she was in dire need of human interaction that didn’t follow prodding needles or bitter pills. As fun as it was to discuss her pains and boredom to the nurses and having to go through the doctor’s ‘daily frisking’, as her brother calls it, she needed to get a semblance of normalcy that naturally went with interaction- be it with a strange, pale, child-like girl.

 

“Gotta keep me sane before they decide to take my isolation to a whole new level. Cuffs are a little too for my taste.” A smirk pulls at the girls thin lips.

 

She leans forward, elbows on her knees and hands clasp together before her. “You’re interesting, Hwang Step-pani-ssi.”

 

Tiffany’s smiling countenance fell. Her stomach clenched uncomfortably, the hairs at the back of her neck standing in attention and her heartbeat restarted its frantic beating. Danger flashed in her mind as she continued eyeing the girl warily.

 

Before she could ask, much less get out of her bed, the visitor pushed back onto the chair. Her head fell back, the back of her neck resting on top of the backrest- exposing the smooth slope of - and closed her eyes, exhaling loudly. “I may have taken a little peek at your chart.”

 

Tiffany’s stiff form relaxed. She mentally berated her over-reacting mind. Maybe the human company was long overdue if the unwarranted over-reaction was any indication. Keeping up with the visitor she replied. “How flattering. I’ve never had anyone do anything remotely creepy around me since I was born. I think I’ve hit a milestone in this boring place.”

 

A short bark of a restrained laughter. Tiffany’s smile grew wider. “Already made you laugh, and yet I still don’t know your name. Speaking off, I hardly think that’s fair considering you know mine, though through an underhanded method.”

 

The visitor raised her head, chewing her bottom lip for a few seconds before slowly rising from the chair. “I should go. Someone’s expecting me.”

 

“Already?” Tiffany pouted as she watched the visitor’s steady stride towards the short distance to the door.

 

Before slipping past the door the visitor looked back, a small smile pulling at her lips. “I’ll see you next time then, Hwang Steppani-ssi.”

 

Tiffany’s brows rose, pout turning into a smile. “So there is a next time. Will you tell me your name by then?”

 

The girl shrugged. “Maybe. Maybe not. We’ll just have to see the next time.”

 

 

 

 

 

Tiffany didn’t need to wait too long for the next time she sees Taeyeon was three days later. She noticed that her clothes were the same and didn’t think twice before blurting out her thoughts. She was responded with the visitor pinching a part of her shirt and pulling the fabric as far as it would permit.

 

She shrugs carelessly. “It’s comfortable.” Was her short response. Tiffany rolled her eyes.

 

It wasn’t lost on the girl. “You’re wearing the same thing every day too, you know.” She points out.

 

Again Tiffany rolled her eyes. “I can hardly classify hospital gowns as clothes. They cover all the necessary parts, but they’re uncomfortable and itchy at some places and it does nothing to keep the cold away. I might as well have only the blanket.” She lifts the thin sheet between her index and thumb and grimaces. “I take that back, I might as well have a newspaper, this flimsy thing is as good as this gown. Useless.”

 

The girl tilts her head to the side, eyes losing focus as her brows scrunched in thought. “I can arrange that.”

 

“Yah!” Tiffany pulls her pillow, acting as if she was going to throw it at the girl.

 

The girl grins and takes a few steps back, her distance to the door shortening. Tiffany eyes the girl, then the door. Her grip on the pillow loosens, then she sighs, putting her hand down.

 

“Are you alright?” The girl asks. Tiffany doesn’t detect any worry or curiosity in the monotonous way the sentence was asked. She brushes it away. It wasn’t like the girl had any reason to worry anyway. Three meetings- yes the first one is counted- they were still strangers at that point.

 

“You promised me you’d tell me your name the next time we’d meet. Well, we met again. Now will you tell me your name?”

 

Instead of answering the girl shots Tiffany a question of her own, one that Tiffany thinks is another good tease from the smart-mouthed girl. “What’s with names anyway? It’s not like knowing my name can miraculously turn stones to gems.”

 

Tiffany pouts, crossing her arms over her chest. The girl smirks teasingly at her, easing back into the throne.

 

“I don’t like not knowing.” Tiffany finally says, dropping her gaze and loosening her arms. Her eyes follow the tube attached to her left hand, pumping in the IV fluid that made her constantly need to relieve herself, which would’ve been fine, if the IV stand wasn’t so darn long. The old stand needed to be tilted to pass through the door, and it wasn’t like it was made out of plastic. Her fingers curl into fists, jaw clenching as she glares at the hanging transparent bag.

 

 

An allergic reaction blew out of proportion.

 

Disease.

 

An auto-immune disease.

 

What was wrong with her? Why was she stuck here still? When will she be able to leave? Will she be able to leave?

 

There were a lot of questions Tiffany had that no one had a clear answer for.

 

Being betrayed by her body like that, having her old friends look at her the way they do after the first time she was diagnosed with some auto-immune disease that was later debunked for another possible cause. The pity the nurses think they’ve concealed so well slipping past as they changed her iv bag or infuse her drip with whatever vial of medicine that could hopefully cure whatever it was she had. The dull four walls of a room after another.

 

She was sick of it all.

 

She was sick of being sick. The bitter medicine. The prodding needles that drew her blood. The weary look her father tried to conceal after another day wasted in the limbo of being alive and actually living life.

 

Because no one knew why.

 

Tiffany snapped out of her depressive musing. Had she heard something? She blinked owlishly at the bored looking visitor who had her hands shoved into her jeans pocket as she tried to pick a pebble out of the sole of her right shoe with the tip of her left.

 

“Pardon?” she swore she heard a mumble.

 

The girl huffed, flattening the soles of her shoes back on the disinfected floor tile, giving up in her quest to loosen the stubborn pebble. She yawned, burying her chin into the collar of her shirt, eyes squeezed shut, nose scrunched and her shoulders quivering a little bit.

 

Cute.

 

The girl sniffed, eyes falling back to Tiffany’s face. Tiffany raised both her brows, hoping to have the girl repeat what she had just said.

 

“It’s a lovely weather we have today.” She nods her head to the window.

 

Tiffany followed her gaze, only to see her own reflection staring back at her. “It’s too dark out.. are you being sarcastic?”

 

She hears a chuckle, followed by the audible click of the door.

 

“You going already? It hasn’t even been long.” Tiffany whined. The moment she realized what she had done she dropped her head, hoping to hide her red face with the dark curtain of her long locks.

 

“Sorry Steppani-ssi, I have an appointment I need to keep.”

 

Tiffany nodded her head, still refusing to raise her head.

 

“Will you come visit me again?” she asked.

 

When it doesn’t seem like a reply was forthcoming she tilted her head, peeking through the slight partition of her hair. The visitor wasn’t there anymore.

 

 

 

 

When her so-called best friend finally came to visit her first instinct was to ignore the rueful smile the girl had adorned along with the plastic box of fresh strawberry- Tiffany’s favourite- she held in front of her. She had succeeded, that was until the girl had climbed onto the bed with her, carefully avoiding the iv line, and nuzzled her chin beside Tiffany’s neck. Her façade was crumbling, the need for physical contact made her whole being itch with her best friend literally there for the taking, but still she ordered her muscles to ignore the temptation and stay where they were. It wasn’t until heard the soft mewl of her name being called and a light pressure of a wet kind of warmth against her cheek that her resolve fully crumbled and she found herself burying herself under the familiar warmth.

 

She didn’t hear the continuous stream of heartfelt apologies amidst her sniffling nor the additional wetness against her cheek as the girl sob with her. She was just happy to see a familiar face before her containment. To feel the familiar warmth, caresses and attention given to her by the person she regarded as a sibling from another mother.

 

When both their sniffling finally subsided Tiffany – in a very unTiffany manner – calmly listened to her best friend’s (slightly nervous) explanation of how many times she arrived at the hospital information booth only to chicken out at the last minute from not wanting to see her when she was suffering along with the guilt of not visiting sooner. Of how many times she sent her messages, only to remember later that the hospital did not have a good cellular reception so Tiffany had decided to leave her phone with her with the promise to return for it when she finally got out of the hospital. Of how many times her younger sister had asked- begged- to see Tiffany unnie only to be dissuaded by their mother saying a hospital was not somewhere a person wants to be seen. She mentally thanked mom (as she was accustomed to calling her bestie’s mother), the last thing she wanted was for the younger girl see her that way. She just wished she had forced the elder of the sisters to come sooner, but at least now she was there and really that was all that mattered.

 

So Tiffany listened raptly to her normally quiet and apathetic best friend retelling gossips and incidents at school, softly running her fingers through the soft light brown locks. She stared fondly at the pretty face while her bestie played with their fingers, examining her nails as they would back when things were still normal when she was still going to school.

 

When it seemed that the girl was finally running out of topics to say- and out of steam from the way her eyelids threatened to close and take her into slumber Tiffany pulled her shirt, silently telling her to shuffle closer. Throwing an arm over Tiffany’s waist and resting her head against the pillow and Tiffany’s neck the girl smiled.

 

“So, what’s been happening here?” she asked.

 

Tiffany scoffed. “Are you seriously asking me that question?”

 

A shrug. “I’m out of words. Your turn to entertain me.”

 

“Selfish Jung.” Tiffany muttered, lightly shoving at her bestie’s shoulder. The girl’s face scrunched in slight annoyance before wriggling her body closer to Tiffany’s. They both giggled at the action.

 

“That I am, Hwang.” She agreed. “So you better get better soon cause I plan on an unrestrained shopping spree and you’re coming whether you’re up to it or not. I even have that old phone of yours charged so that anytime you want to get back on track it’s all ready for you. Don’t throw all my efforts to waste otherwise I’ll trash your phone.”

 

“Aw Jessie. You’re so cute.” Tiffany cooed.

 

Jessica hummed then yawned. “Oh and, as your bestie I took the liberty to read all your messages this morning.”

 

“Yah!” Another shove. Jessica held onto Tiffany tighter. “There’s no secret between us Tiff. Plus I took the time to read through all the crap you’ve accumulated over the weeks and came here to tell you how everyone sent you “get well”s and “see you soon”s and a few other crap. The least you can do is say thanks.”

 

“Gee, Jessie, you’re the best.” Tiffany said sarcastically. She felt Jessica nodding her head against her neck.

 

“See, now that wasn’t so hard.”

 

“Oh my God, that girl is so like you.” Tiffany absently muttered.

 

“Who?” Jessica mumbled sleepily.

 

Tiffany chuckled, once again running her hands through Jessica’s hair, helping ease the girl into dreamland. “Just a girl that visits me from time to time.”

 

Jessica’s eyes peeled back. A small frown pulled at her lips as she looked up to Tiffany’s face, muttering another apology. Tiffany answers with a pinch to the tip of Jessica’s nose. Jessica swats at the hand before replacing her arm over Tiffany’s waist, resting her head against the crook of her neck.

 

“So, what’s this girl’s name? I should meet her and say my thanks for keeping you company while I…” she clenched her jaw. Tiffany couldn’t see Jessica’s facial expression, even if she craned her neck she would only see the top of her head, but she guessed the girl’s face only expressed her guilt. She was about to flick Jessica’s forehead when the girl spoke. “Should I send her flowers?”

 

Tiffany chuckled. “I don’t think she’ll appreciate it. She wore the same shirt every time she visited you know?”

 

“Is she homeless?”

 

“Jessie!”

 

“What? Who in their right mind would wear the same clothes over and over?”

 

“I thought the same, but seriously Jessie. Homeless?” Jessica shrugged.

 

“Just a question.” A short pause. “Maybe she’d appreciate a new shirt.”

 

A sigh. “What am I going to do with you?”

 

“Get better and take care of me.”

 

“Selfish girl.”

 

“Love you, Tiff.”

 

“I love you too, Jessie.”

 

 

 

 

Jessica begrudgingly pulls away from her comfortable position on the second time the nurse prompts them of the end of visiting hours. She irritably waves away the nurse while Tiffany watches her fix her slightly dishevelled look amusedly. Before she leaves Tiffany makes her promise of visiting more frequently. Tiffany also makes her promise to bring a pack of strawberries every time and after a little argument, Tiffany concedes with three packs every week, much to Jessica’s chagrin. She dramatically wails of her allowance taking a huge blow on the account of ‘pig Tiffany’s’ craving and receives a pillow to the back of her head.

 

Tiffany pops a strawberry into , grinning at the memory of Jessica’s half-hearted glare as she motions to slap Tiffany with her own pillow before grudgingly tossing the fluffy weapon on the bed near her feet. A little juice dribbles down her chin which she wipes carelessly with the back of her hand, too busy revisiting the warm memory of what happened just minutes before along with savouring the explosions of tangy sweetness in to care. She sighs in content. Jessica’s visit provided a huge relief from the monotonous days in the seclusion of her room – not that she’s not allowed to wander but there was nowhere to go anyway. Wandering the halls can only hurt her more emotionally. Either she would feel bad for the others or incredibly jealous for those who would be released.

 

Speaking of wandering.

 

She glanced up to the door just as a familiar face pops in. A smile finds its way to her face as she motions for her visitor to enter, chuckling when she sees a baggy hoodie replacing the thin oversized shirt on the small frame.

 

“I see you changed your shirt.”

 

The visitor grins and Tiffany notice the small dimple near her chin and nearly coos at the cuteness of it. She sends a grin of her own, jerking her head to the throne. Tiffany giggles at the thought of her great and mighty father, overthrown by a much younger and smaller girl.

 

The girl quirked a brow as she slid her but onto the throne. “What’s funny?”

 

“Oh nothing. Just thought of something.”

 

The girl stares at her a while longer, not that it bothers Tiffany as she puts on the most innocent smile and plucks a strawberry from the container. She holds it out for the girl as a distraction. The girl looks at the fruit, then shakes her head and finally slips onto the chair. Tiffany shrugs her shoulder and takes a bite out of the fruit. More for her then.

 

“You like strawberry?” the girl asked, tilting her head slightly.

 

“If I tell you I do, will you bring me some?” The girl stared at her with a deadpan expression before looking away, pretending she didn’t hear anything.

 

“It was worth a try.” Tiffany shrugged, popping in what remained of the berry.

 

“Hey, I’ve got a question for you little missy.”

 

An arch of a brow. “Little missy?”

 

“You wouldn’t tell me your name. And ‘visitor’ isn’t a very good nickname.” Tiffany responded equally before continuing. “Anyway, I was talking to my best friend earlier and it got me thinking. How is it that you’re here after visiting hours? Did you sneak in or something?”

 

“Or something?”

 

It was Tiffany’s turn to quirk a brow. “Care to elaborate?”

 

The girl hummed. “Well, first off I came through the front door…” she trailed off, a cheeky smile in place.

 

“Wise .” Tiffany scoffed, flicking the green leafy tip of the strawberry she had just consumed the girl’s way. “I mean, how come you’re able to come in after visiting hours.”

 

A careless shrug. “Let’s just say that I’m a regular here. People are so used to me roaming the place that they don’t even pay me any notice anymore.”

 

Tiffany made a face. “You a rebel or something?”

 

“Or something.”

 

Tiffany clicked her tongue in annoyance. “You’re really annoying you know.”

 

“No. First time I’ve been told that.”

 

“Well, you are, little miss wise .” Tiffany huffed. Plucking another strawberry she was about to take a bite when the girl spoke.

 

“Taeyeon.” Tiffany paused in her movement. She turned her stare over to the girl sitting a little too comfortably on the throne. Hands in her pocket with her settled precariously on the edge of the seat, legs spread wide with her feet firmly planted on the ground. Her dark eyes were staring vacantly out the window- or maybe at nothing at all, Tiffany couldn’t tell.

 

“That’s my name.” she continued when Tiffany made no sound.

 

A soft smile formed on Tiffany’s lips. A moment later though her smile faltered, giving way to a frown as Taeyeon began to fidget in her seat. Her frown deepened at the thought of what was coming next. If she really wanted to Tiffany can still count the minutes of how long Taeyeon stayed from the first to the last time she was there, which wasn’t much. Barely even half an hour.

 

“You’ve barely sat there for a minute.” Taeyeon stared at her, both brows up. “Do you have another appointment to keep?” Tiffany hid the disappointment in her face, putting on neutral expression as she watched the girl, but her voice betrayed her. She covered it with a cough, tearing her gaze away from the smirk pulling at the other girl’s lips and onto the thin sheet over her legs.

 

“I do.” Tiffany bit her inner cheeks, keeping her lips from turning down any further. It’s not like she knew Taeyeon that well, four random yet short visits isn’t exactly the best way to get to know and befriend a person.

 

“But I don’t need to go there for another hour.” Tiffany’s eyes snapped over to Taeyeon’s face. Her lips pulled at either side, stretching into a wide smile as she straightened up in her bed.

 

First Jessica finally came to visit with strawberries and now Taeyeon’s staying for a longer time. Tiffany wanted to jump out of her bed and do a little joyful dance, her body tingling from the rare opportunity of having visitors. She opted for wriggling her further up the headboard of the hospital gurney as not to scare her possible new friend away.

 

“Taeyeon-ssi..”

 

“Just Taeyeon, please.” Taeyeon cut her off in her soft voice. She settled back down the throne, her once again sliding down to a relaxed position.

 

“Taeyeon, then,” Tiffany grinned, placing the box of strawberries on the table next to the bed. “I hope you don’t mind, but I get talkative when I get excited.”

 

“You’re excited over this?” Taeyeon asked humorously. She smiled, lips pulling up to show the straight line of the upper row of her teeth, the chin dimple once again making its appearance.

 

Tiffany returned a smile of her own, nodding her head a couple of times. It’s hard not to, being locked up in the hospital room for so long. “I’m a simple person.”

 

“Then, I’m all ears Steppani-ssi.”

 

“Tiffany. Just Tiffany, Taeyeon.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Hey, Jessie?” Tiffany lightly nudged Jessica’s thigh with her knee. The dozing girl stirred from her sleep. Shifting beside Tiffany she hummed languidly cutting it in a yawn. Her arm stretched, going over Tiffany’s body before dropping over her lifelessly. Tiffany tried again, this time poking Jessica’s nose. The girl tucked her chin back, nose wrinkling before heavy-lidded eyes peered up at Tiffany’s grinning features.

 

“Hey, there sleepyhead.” Tiffany greeted, flicking a finger down Jessica’s nose.

 

Jessica grumbles at the action but gradually brings herself to sit up. She rubs her eyes, low groans coming from the back of followed by another yawn. “What time is it?”

 

“A little after sunset.” Jessica blearily stared at the darkening sky out the window. Her lips slowly form into a small frown as her back falls back onto the bed. Tiffany pulls her arm out of the way in time and she clucks in mock irritation, crossing her arms over her chest. Jessica ignores her and turns to her side so that she faces her best friend.

 

“How long was I out for?”

 

“Not long. I just spent one boring hour watching you sleep.”

 

Jessica grinned. “Sorry Tiff, it’s just been so tiring lately, with exam week just a few more days away and Krys having girl problems..”

 

“Girl problems or guy problems?”

 

Jessica waves a hand lethargically. “It’s the same thing.”

 

“Aw, baby Jungie having her first boy problem.” Tiffany cooed then a second later she lands a slap against Jessica’s arm, the later yelping and retaliates with pinching Tiffany’s leg with her toes. “How come I only know of it now?”

 

Jessica rolls her eyes. “It’s her problem, not mine. At least not until she kept barging into my room- ruining my beauty rest- and kept me up with her rants about the other girls pinning after her crush.”

 

“And, what did you tell her?”

 

“I told her to get lost and deal with it on her own.”

 

Another slap lands on Jessica’s arm. “Yah! Stop it!”

 

“You are officially the worst sister in the face of the earth Jessica Jung.” A short pause. Tiffany watches as Jessica’s bottom lip juts out in a pout. She reaches for Jessica’s cheek, lightly pulling at the soft skin. “And also the worst bestie.”

 

Jessica pulls her head away, grabbing Tiffany’s hand and bringing it down. “I’m sorry. I was an idiot, okay. But I stuck to my promise didn’t I?”

 

“I don’t mean that Jessie.” Jessica’s frown deepened as she stared quizzically at Tiffany.

 

“We promised not to keep secrets.” Jessica nodded her head, not knowing where this was going.

 

“Yeah we did.”

 

“So why are you keeping your love life a secret?” Jessica’s body deflated as she let out a tired huff. She turned her body around so that her back is to Tiffany.

 

“Because there is no progress between my bed and me?”

 

“Stop trying to be funny Jung and spill.” Tiffany demanded, pinching Jessica’s middle. Her hand was immediately swatted away.

 

“Fine… I may have an affair with the fridge, but it’s too far away. I don’t think we’ll work out with the whole long dis-” Jessica’s answer is cut short when Tiffany pulls the pillow from under her head and lightly slams the fluffy pillow against the side of her head.

 

“You’re gonna grow old and die as a spinster at this rate. And here I thought you’re the hopeless romantic between the two of us.”

 

Jessica pulls the pillow off her head, chucking it back at Tiffany before responding. “Well, then I guess we’re gonna have to keep each other company when the time comes.”

 

“Yah, why are you dragging me into your lonely life?”

 

“Because that’s what best friends do. And you missy, are stuck with me for the rest of your life, whether you like it or not.”

 

“Bossy Jung.”

 

“Spinster Miyoung doesn’t sound too bad.”

 

Tiffany grimaced. “Sooyeon fits the title a lot better.”

 

“Well then, how about if we both grow past our 40’s and remain unattached we’ll promise to be spinster sisters together and get 20 or so cats.” Jessica stated, and with a straight face she put out her pink finger to seal the deal.

 

For a split second Tiffany’s smile fell. For a split second, she felt a pinch in her chest, not enough to cause distress but just enough to remind her of her mortality. And for that split second seeing the determined look on her best friend’s face made her feel burdensome. That split second Jessica wasn’t looking at Tiffany’s face but rather at her pinky finger, waiting for Tiffany’s to interlace with it, was long enough for Tiffany to recompose her smile.

 

Tiffany laughed as she pushed Jessica’s hand down, keeping it in between her hand and the bed- indirectly shooting down the proposition. “You’re jinxing our future lives. I don’t want to grow old and wrinkly and alone.”

 

“Duh, that’s why you have me.” Jessica says as she rolls her eyes in exasperation.

 

“Stop dooming out future Sooyeon.” Tiffany grumbles, riding the flow of their teasing conversation. She sneaks a glance at Jessica’s pouting face, cheeks a little puffed at her rejection. Jessica was too pretty, with a bright future no less, to end up alone. Tiffany would not settle any less than seeing Jessica with someone who makes her happy, regardless of whom she chooses. “What happened to that Kwon anyway?”

 

Tiffany didn’t miss the slightly longer pause before a small squeak finally pushed out of Jessica’s mouth. “Who?”

 

“You know who.” Tiffany says, teasingly nudging Jessica’s middle.

 

“Hm… lots of Kwon’s in our school..”

 

“Oh please, you and I both know which Kwon I’m referring to. In fact, I’m pretty sure she’s the only Kwon you care to know.”

 

“I don’t know who you’re talking about.” Jessica quickly shut her down, and though her face remained impassive the slight pinkish tinge on her cheeks was not lost on Tiffany.

 

“You are just too cute Sica-yah~” Tiffany giggled at the darkening blush on her bestie’s face.

 

Wanting to escape further embarrassment Jessica blurted the first thought that came to her mind. “How’s your hobo friend?”

 

“She’s not a hobo, Jessie.” Tiffany said amidst her chuckles. “And she’s fine.”

 

“Still wearing the same shirt?”

 

“She changes shirts from time to time.” Jessica hummed, relived for the change in topic. Not wanting Tiffany to steer back to her teasing she pressed on. Honestly, though she was a little curious about the girl that was kind enough to stop by Tiffany’s room, no matter how long she stayed. Knowing the extroverted girl, and Jessica knew her best friend, even the slightest interaction can do wonders to her mood. And for this unknown stranger to getting out of their way to pay Tiffany a visit, the thought of it had Jessica mentally praise the girl.

 

“I keep forgetting to ask… how many times, exactly, she has paid you a visit? And what’s she like?”

 

Tiffany’s smile widened as she thought of the kid-faced Taeyeon languidly sitting on the throne. For the past month, the girl had never missed an opportunity to pop in and say hello once a day. Sometimes she stayed for as long as an hour, mostly listening to Tiffany prattle on about the latest chapter she had read, sometimes just stopping to say a quick hello before rushing off to another appointment- what those appointments are Taeyeon refused to divulge into as she would quickly redirect the conversation to something else. Tiffany stopped her prying after the third attempt and instead relished the company of the silent girl.

 

Personality wise Taeyeon was true to her name, nothing seems to phase her calm demeanour. Tiffany had tried to surprise her one time, cramming her IV stand and herself behind the small area between the door and the wall. When the girl had let herself inside Tiffany, being as quiet as a mouse, crept up behind her and- in what Tiffany thinks is the creepiest voice she could make- attempted her jump scare. Taeyeon’s reaction was merely a quirk of a brow in her otherwise expressionless face. Except for sometimes being a stick in the mud, Taeyeon had reminded Tiffany of a less scary and less sleepy version of Jessica.

 

And Tiffany told Jessica as much, the latter listening attentively while watching Tiffany’s facial expression change every so often as she retold her experience with her new found friend. When Tiffany finished Jessica laid her head back on the pillow, mulling over all the information she had just heard. It took a while before Jessica finally turned her body to face Tiffany. “How long are you going to keep her to yourself?”

 

Tiffany laughed. “I’m not. She just… She comes at times visitors normally aren’t around..” Tiffany said, carefully structuring her words. “and you guys just never happen to come in at the exact same time. It’s not like I have control over you guys.”

 

Jessica hummed, gently trailing her fingers over the small dark spot- a forming bruise- on Tiffany’s arm. “I still haven’t thanked her, you know?”

 

Tiffany yawned, stretching her arm to the side to avoid hitting Jessica. “I’ve extended your gratitude to her.”

 

Jessica shook her head. “I want to thank her, in person.”

 

Tiffany nodded her head, stifling another yawn.

 

“Tired?”

 

“Hm.. a little bit. I think I’m starting to catch your laziness.”

 

“Laziness isn’t contagious, stupid.” Jessica said, lightly knocking her knuckles against Tiffany’s forehead. Tiffany grins back at her, wriggling her body down the bed and into a more comfortable position. She heaved a sigh, heavy eyelids drawing to a close. Jessica’s hand gently runs through her hair and soon her breathing starts to fall into a rhythm, senses shutting down. She hears what might have been Jessica saying good night- or cursing about her aching back- before finally succumbing to the deep void of sleep.

 

 

 

 

 

ALL

 

Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, her doctor had grimly announced to the silent room. Curable, he said, but chances are slim. It was caught at a late stage, how that happened no one would tell.

 

Tiffany felt numb as she stared at the thin sheet over her legs. The room felt suffocating like she was in the deep depths of the ocean with the heavy water pressure crushing her lungs that were already deprived of oxygen. Of course, her doctor told her it was part of the disease, the heavy breathing. But it wasn’t the heavy breathing she meant, it was the prospect of death, the huge possibility of it that suffocated her.

 

She wasn’t going to be an old spinster with 20 or so cats because the reality of it is that she might not even make it to her next birthday.

 

Tiffany could already envision her end as she stared blankly at the white sheet over her. The cold seeping into her once warm body and let it set into rigor. The morbid thought had her let out a humourless chuckle.

 

She doesn’t hear the desperate tone of her father begging the doctor to save her life, to do something to make it better. She doesn’t hear the doctor’s deep voice as he recounts the costly procedures that may or may not cure her sickly body. She doesn’t see her fathers’ weary form drop on the throne, face buried in his hands to hide the tears of grief. She doesn’t see her father look at her with devastation mixed with his undying love for her. She does feel the light kiss pressed against her temple, but it takes her a while to snap out of her inner turmoil only to find herself alone in her hospital room once again.

 

A few unbidden tears slip down her cheeks as she lies back down the bed, her numb mind slipping back to the comforting nothingness of slumber.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jessica doesn’t take the news very well.

 

The first half hour was spent on trying to make sense out of the situation and a lot of ing on Jessica’s part. The minutes following after were full of tears and broken whispers of comfort and empty words until finally both emotionally exhausted girls fell into a deep slumber, clutching onto each other like a frayed lifeline.

 

Taeyeon doesn’t show.

 

 

 

 

 

Chemotherapy was a numbing thought. Tiffany had previously wondered why people would undergo such treatment that doesn’t even have a 90% margin of success- and when successful pretty much opens up the body for other potential life threatening illness. It was barbaric in a way.

 

It was also her only shot of getting better.

 

Poison her body? Or let her own cells destroy her from the inside?

 

Then there was the whole bone marrow transplant.

 

DNA testing between her blood sample and from her siblings was still underway; though the doctor had prewarned them of the possibility- though low- of neither of her siblings being a good enough match for her. Have hope, he says, it’s the only thing you have right now.

 

She nods her head, brown, lifeless eyes staring through the walls. Her doctor sighs. A hand rises up to Tiffany’s head, hoovers undecidedly for a second before lightly resting over the dark brown locks. Tiffany continues to stare at nothing.

 

 

 

 

 

A couple more agonizing- due to the chemo- days goes by before Tiffany finally questions where Taeyeon has gone. She doesn’t voice it out, but she wonders.

 

Taeyeon is still MIA.

 

 

 

 

 

Taeyeon finally shows. She’s back to wearing the baggy shirt Tiffany saw her in the first time they are properly acquainted. She doesn’t mean to notice, turning her head away the moment the girl’s placid face pops in through the door, she keeps the thought to herself.

 

Taeyeon doesn’t apologise or mention Tiffany’s skinnier and paler body. She doesn’t say anything. As soon as she walks in she heads directly to the throne, slipping onto it as quietly as she had glided into the room.

 

Tiffany wants to ask her where she had been. Why she hadn’t come for the past few days. Had she even know how much pain she’s gone through for those days she was absent. Why was she wearing the same baggy shirt again?

 

Then she thinks she doesn’t have the right to be angry at Taeyeon or to question her. They are friends- at least Tiffany thinks so- but not close enough for her to drop her manners. She was a sick girl and Taeyeon was merely a visitor that stops by her room from time to time.

 

She concentrates on the black dot swimming in her vision.

 

An hour passes.

 

Tiffany hears the soft rustle of fabric as Taeyeon stands.

 

The door clicks. Tiffany sighs into the silence.

 

She didn’t see the  melancholic look the girl had on the entire time.

 

 

 

 

 

Tiffany lifts her arm, shielding her eyes from the bright light trying to permeate through the thin lining of her eyelids. She takes a deep breath, her chest feeling lighter the more clean air she inhales. The feel of the warm sunlight against her skin, the tickling grass underneath her, plus the soft, cool breeze caressing her hair brings a small smile to pull at her pink lips. She thinks, if she were to describe paradise, this would be it.

 

She hasn’t felt this free in what feels like a long while. And it feels amazing.

 

She feels a soft caress over her forehead. A heavy eyelid peels back and her grin widens at the sight of the child-like face of Taeyeon looking down on her.

 

“This feels nice.” She says. Taeyeon her head to the side in agreement. Cute, she thinks.

 

Just as she was about to shut her eyes Taeyeon presents a hand to her. She doesn’t think twice and grabs on, letting the slightly shorter girl help her up to her feet. The long grass around them tickles her legs as it sways with the breeze, the white one piece she wore flapping gently along. That, plus the warm hand clasped in her own… Yes, it does indeed feel nice.

 

“I can’t believe you’re still wearing that shirt.” She says, motioning to Taeyeon’s oversized shirt and bleach washed jeans. “It ruins the mood of the place.”

 

Taeyeon shrugs carelessly. “It’s comfortable.”

 

Tiffany chuckles, remembering the same exact reply Taeyeon gave her the first time she mentioned her clothes.

 

She lets her thumb caress the soft skin over Taeyeon’s thumb. A thought occurs to her. “It’s the first time I’ve touched you.”

 

Taeyeon nods her head. “It is.”

 

“How come we’ve never done this before?”

 

Taeyeon turns her head, her smile looking a little sad. “It wasn’t the proper time.”

 

“For what? We’re just holding hands.”

 

Taeyeon shrugs again. “Hey, Tippani?”

 

“Hm?”

 

She opens , in a breath. For a moment nothing comes out. Taeyeon’s eyes scan Tiffany’s face, noting the light pinkish tinge on her cheeks, her pink lips pulled into a small serene smile and the cute way her eyes formed into crescent. “You look beautiful.”

 

Tiffany laughed, the pink hue on her cheeks turning a shade darker as she nudged Taeyeon’s shoulder with her own. “I didn’t know you were a sweet talker.”

 

“I have my moments.” Taeyeon tightened her hold on Tiffany’s hand. “Do you like it here?”

 

A nod. “It’s a beautiful place. I wish Jessie was here.” Taeyeon’s smile faltered for a split second. “Would you like to stay with my friends for a while? I’m sure your friend’s going to take a while. Don’t worry they’re good people.”

 

“Jessie’s coming?” Tiffany asks, grin widening. Her other hand clamps onto their joined hands, bringing it up to her face. “Oh, I can’t wait for you guys to finally meet! You’ll love her, I just know it!”

 

Taeyeon chuckled, tugging at Tiffany’s hand as they started to wade through the field. “I’m sure we’ll meet soon enough.”

 

 

 

 

 

Jessica sniffed, gently running the back of her hand under her nose. Her head jerks back at the light brush of cloth against her cheek before her lips pull into a small, shy smile as she reaches up to take the simple patterned handkerchief handed to her by the slightly taller, tanned skinned girl standing a little awkwardly next to her. She mouths a thank you, the girl waves it off with a grin.

 

The girl kicks at the ground, watching as Jessica’s face scrunches up in preparation for another sneeze. Shoving the hand that wasn’t holding the box of strawberry into her pocket she cleared . “I can wait over by the tree if you’d like.” She says, motioning to the said tree with her head. “I know you’d like to speak with Tippani-ssi alone.. I mean.. yeah, I’ll..”

 

“Thank you.” Jessica reaches for the girl’s hand, squeezing it lightly in gratitude before turning her attention back to the building her best friend rested at. Sensing that it was the time to leave the girl gently squeezed back, passing the strawberries over to the grateful Jessica before turning to jog up the path they came from.

 

Jessica a breath in, making her way to the floor where her friend laid in wait.

 

 

 

“Hey, Tiff. It’s been a while.” She starts, shifting the strawberries in her hand. “I bought you strawberries, a whole box of fresh ones as you demanded from me the last time.” She chuckled as a memory replayed in her mind. “And you say I’m selfish, these aren’t cheap you know. But since you’re my best friend I’ll sacrifice a bit more of my pocket money so don’t you dare nag at me again.”

 

“I came here with someone. She.. uh.. she’s waiting for me outside. She wanted to give us our private time and not be a disturbance.” Jessica chuckled. “No, we’re not dating. Not really. Soon, maybe, after all, I am the hopeless romantic between the two of us. Seems like the spinster future really isn’t for me.”

 

Jessica’s loud sigh broke the deafening silence.

 

She reached out, carefully prying the glass from the cubicle before gently slipping in the strawberries next to the ceramic urn. Her eyes ran down the golden engraving, then to the lifeless cellphone she had kept for so long to the picture of her best friend posing with a peace sign, the wide grin on her face completed by her signature eye-smiles.

 

“I miss you.” Jessica whispered, tears building up in her eyes. She returns the glass back to its proper place, carelessly brushing the stray tears with the handkerchief given to her. She raises her hand, palm against the glass, imagining Tiffany doing the same with her ever-present smile.

 

“I’ll see you again Tiff.”

 

A gentle breeze.

 

A distant sound of laughter.

 

A pair of brown eyes watching from the distance with a small dimpled smile.

 

~~~

A/N: Maybe I should apologize for this too...