Festive

Spirits

 


“I want to go to the festival,” Hanbyul said. Chanyeol sat by her side, it was early in the morning and class had just begun but there was no teacher in the room. She didn’t mind late start on math lessons didn’t bother her anyway. “I want to win a little koi fish.”

Chanyeol looked at her and shook his head. “Not with that knee.”

“I’ll be okay.”

“You can barely walk.”

“Then you can carry me around.” She cocked her head. “Hm? Come on…you always did that for me.”

 

The few classmates that surrounded them listened to their conversation, at this point, the entire school knew they were best friends- or perhaps even more.

 

Chanyeol frowned. “Then have people bump into your leg as we walk? No.”

Hanbyul shrugged her shoulders. “Then I’ll go alone.”

He his teeth and sighed. “You never listen to me.”

She crossed her arms. “I’ll go with Sehun.”

He shook his head and looked away. “Stubborn.” He mumbled.

 

The neighborhood was small and on the outskirts of town and despite the fact that there weren’t thousands attending, many people made an effort to contribute to the yearly event. Dozens of aunties and grandmas set up their own stands selling street food and their own homemade items. There were game stands where one could win a variety of items ranging from stuffed animals to pet fish. Hanbyul went every year but she never won any of the games, it would’ve help too if Chanyeol played with her instead of fooling around with the village idiots.

 

Hanbyul put her hanbok on and did her hair meticulously. The traditional gown was a pain to walk in but she wanted to fit in with everyone else who wore theirs during this time of the year. She shuffled around and frowned, her knee was sore but she didn’t want to miss the festival- she never did.

 

Dink

 

She looked at out her window and smiled to see Sehun standing there with a flower in his hand.

“I heard there’s something special going on. There are so many people outside!”

Hanbyul waved and stuck her head out. “Is it safe for you to come?”

“Of course! As long as they can’t see me, it doesn’t matter if we touch.”

She grinned and nodded. “I’ll be out soon!”

 

“You look so pretty.” Sehun gasped upon seeing her. She always was a gem in his eyes but today the diamond she was sparkled more than usual. “Pretty Byul.” He held out the flower, a hibiscus. “For you…”

Hanbyul’s gawked with agape, the flowers in this town didn’t bloom as often but when they did, they looked like something out of a painting. “How did you…” Then she remembered that he was a nature spirit and any plant he touched would bloom in its own glory.

He chuckled and stuck it in her hair. “What happens at the festival?”

“Streetfood, games, sometimes there are fireworks by the lake too,” Hanbyul said excitedly. “Let’s go! It should begin soon.” She walked down the usual path pass the school building joyfully, it didn’t  take long for the two to walk into some stands. She turned around and pulled a ribbon out of her hair. “Sehun!”

He looked at her and raised his brows. “Hm?”

“Hand.”

He held his arm out and watched as she tied a delicate ribbon around his wrist. Then she tied the other end to her wrist, leaving about two feet of ribbon in between them.

“Now we won’t lose each other.”

 

They stopped at a tent that sold pastries, there were already a bunch of little kids hovering over the freshly baked croissants and rolls topped with jams and crèmes.

“Do you like strawberries?” Hanbyul asked, eyeing the row of flaky pastries sitting in a plastic container.

Sehun looked at her and smiled. “Do you?”

She turned around and nodded. “I love them!”

“What’s that?”

“A strawberry turnover with fruit filling and- ah! He makes it very well!” She pointed to the owner. “His father was a pastry chef back in his prime and now he does it for a living.” Hanbyul didn’t think twice before walking up to the counter. “Strawberry-“

The man looked up and laughed. “Hanbyul! I already know what you want.” He chuckled and gladly picked up one of the treats with plastic tongs before putting them in a parchment paper bag. “Enjoy! I heard grandma is down the block selling fishcakes?”

Hanbyul nodded. “Drop by, I’ll get you some!”

 

Sehun walked behind Hanbyul for a few minutes before they stepped to the side. There were so many people on the streets, laughter and happiness filled the night.

 

“Everyone in this neighborhood seems very friendly with each other.” Sehun envied. “I wish I knew what that was like…”

Hanbyul took a pastry out of the bag and held it to his face. “Try it!”

He took it into his hands and couldn’t help by grin stupidly at the sight of Hanbyul chowing down on the sweet.

“What’s wrong? You don’t like it?” Asked a concerned Hanbyul.

He just laughed and shook his head before reaching out for her cheek. Sehun gestured his fingertips over her face.

She felt a soft gust of wind as he pulled his hand back. “H-Huh?”

“You had something on your face.”

Hanbyul bit her lip and furrowed her brows in embarrassment. She turned away  sheepishly. “How dumb did it look?”

He gently yanked the ribbon and pulled her back, Sehun looked at her and confidently said “Oddly cute.”

Hanbyul rolled her eyes and scoffed as she flushed pink. “Well you’re a smooth talker, aren’t ya?!”

Sehun then eyed the stands down the block. “Want to play some games before it gets too dark?”

Hanbyul turned around and bitterly gazed at the little kids walking around with prizes. “I’m really bad…I wish you could play for me or something because every year I never win anything. That fisherman comes annually with a bucket of koi fish but his games are difficult! I’ve always wanted a koi fish…”

“Try!”


(Moonlight Drawn by Clouds - Misty Road)


After what felt like an endless amount of failed attempts, Hanbyul threw away her koi fish dreams and walked away from the festival. The fireworks were about to begun and it was quite dark out but the streetlamps did their job of illuminating the night.

 

It didn’t take them long to find a perfect spot by the lake, there were dozens of people there waiting for the sky to erupt with color. Everyone sat on blankets but as for Hanbyul and Sehun, they sat on flat rocks under a willow tree.

The graceful leaves draped  over their backs and danced with the serene night breeze.

 

When the fireworks began, the willow tree rested one of its bunches of leaves on Sehun’s shoulder.  

Hanbyul turned to him and rested her head against it.

 

“I don’t want this to end.” 


 

[a/n]: comments are greatly appreciated!