Touched

Spirits

 


Play this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDmG2AAKPh0


 “He lived in the woods…why can’t I find him?” Hanbyul whispered as she looked around. For some reason she couldn’t sleep at all the night before and only woke up at dawn in hopes of seeing Sehun. She had wondered keep into the woods by now and truth to be told, she wasn’t sure if she would make it back in time for school.

Then she saw a firefly…and then another… “Fireflies at dawn?” Hanbyul raised an eyebrow; she couldn’t find a reason for these tiny creatures to be out and glowing when it was this light outside. “Sehun’s near…” She mumbled. She followed the beaming bugs and found herself in a field of flowers. “Whoa…”

Hanbyul stepped into the floral field, a place so beautiful she couldn’t believe that it was all nature’s doings. Then she saw the familiar dark locks of Sehun, he slept in a field of flowers peacefully. She walked to him and flopped down, keeping a distance from him. “You make sleeping in a field of flowers look so comfortable.” She said quietly.

He stirred in his sleep and shook himself awake. Sehun sat up and gasped slightly at the sight of Hanbyul. “How did you find this place?”

Hanbyul looked at him before holding her hand out. A firefly landed on her palm briefly before flying off. “These guys led me here.” She smiled. “I’ve lived in this neighborhood my entire life and I knew there about the woods… I explored my entire life but I’ve never seen this place before.”

Sehun picked up a flower and stuck it in her hair. “Keep this place a secret from everyone you know, besides, we’re the only ones that can see it.”

“Really?”

He nodded. “Mmhmm.”

“Are there others like you?” She asked.

Sehun shook his head. “Nope… I’m the only forest spirit I know. It’s not fair to me though…I’m the only one who can’t touch humans.” He mumbled in disappointment.

“I read in a textbook once that this environmentalist believed that nature shouldn’t be touched by humans. He said the earth and itself was getting destroyed because we’re meddling with it. There’s nothing as pristine, beautiful, and natural as nature that hasn’t been touched. My grandma says that too…that the environment would be breathtaking if we didn’t take its resources and whatnot.” Hanbyul smiled. “Maybe that’s why you’re special…”

Sehun grinned cheekily. “You think so?”

“Why? Do you want to touch me?” Hanbyul teased playfully.

He looked down at the grass. “My best friend is an ocean spirit. I don’t see him often…not anymore.” Sehun frowned. “He said a met a human as unique as you…she was someone who could see spirits too. Kai fell in love with her and she returned his feelings too. Everyone in their town knows about it…they say their relationship should be forbidden and that it’s not right. But they’re so happy with each other and I think that’s all that matters. I think seeing two people love each other despite what others say is …it’s heartwarming.”

Hanbyul looked at him. “Do you want something like that? Do you want to love?”

Sehun stole a glance at her before turning away. “I mean…yeah.” He said. “I want to know what it’s like to be happy.”

“…Are you not happy?”

“It’s lonely.” Sehun admitted. “Hundreds of people walk past me every day without knowing I exist.” He sighed. “I see other people my age getting along and laughing together. They spend time together and make memories that last forever. I’ll never have that.”

“But I can see you.” Hanbyul picked up a flower and carefully placed it behind his head. “And you can see me.”

Sehun pressed his lips into a firm line. “And you want to befriend a spirit?”

“Why not?”

“I’m afraid others will make fun of you for talking to someone they can’t see. You’ll be bullied if others know about…me.”

Hanbyul shrugged. “I’m used to it.”

Sehun furrowed his brows. “There are people who aren’t nice to you?”

“It’s okay…life goes on, I’ll get over it.”

“I’ll protect you from those people.”

Hanbyul chuckled. “Really?”

“I will.”

 

“Hanbyul!”

 

Sehun looked around. “It’s your friend from yesterday…he’s looking for you- the one with colorful hair.”

Hanbyul stood up and brushed the petals off her clothes. “Ah…it’s already 7…”

“Where are you going?”

“School.” Hanbyul said. “I’ll be back.” She turned around one last time and waved her hand. “I’ll see you soon!”

 

Chanyeol looked at her with a face full of confusion. “Since when were there flowers in the woods?”

Hanbyul touched the delicate hibiscus resting in her hair and smiled. “Since forever.”

 

When school ended and the last bell rung, Hanbyul took a different path home. She thought about all the people she saw on a daily basis and wondered how many of them were spirits instead of actual people.

She sat by a river and set her bag down before putting her headphones in her ears. In the midst of reading a book, she heard some splatters from the water. Hanbyul stood up and dropped her things, she saw a boy around her age sitting in the water looking surprised and cold. “Are you okay?!” She asked.

The boy lifted his head and gasped. “You…can see me?”

Hanbyul stood there for a few minutes before the realization came to her – he’s a spirit. She nodded and walked over to him. “Yeah…I can.”

“But you’re…”

She nodded again. “I know.”

He stood up and held his hand out. “I’m Xiumin.”

Hanbyul hesitated before reaching her hand out, and before shaking his; she asked “I…can touch you?”

He slipped his hand into hers and shook it up and down. “Of course! Why wouldn’t you be able to?!”

“But you’re a…spirit.”

Xiumin waved his hand in the air. “Well…nothing will happen if we shake hands!”

“Do you always…hang around here?”

He turned around and pointed towards the end of the river. “I…I drowned there.”

“H-Huh?”

Xiumin nodded. “I drowned as a baby.” He explained. “I don’t remember much but …I drowned there when I was very little. The ones from above noticed how young I was and realized that since I died without any grudges, it would be okay for me to linger around. I was very young when I died so I guess I didn’t have anything to be mad about… I was just an infant!”

She stared at him not knowing what to say.

Xiumin gasped. “A-Ah! I don’t…meet new people often so I don’t know how to…introduce myself…properly. I’m 18 years old!”

Hanbyul looked around and frantically searched for something to say.  “I’m sorry to hear that…” She said softly.

Xiumin shook his head. “It’s okay. I didn’t remember anything about my life anyway.” He continued. “I held no grudges and the heavens thought I wouldn’t be a threat to life on earth… I grew up around here near the river, I don’t know a lot of people but…that’s fine too.”

She smiled and held her hand out again. “Well now you know me, I’m Hanbyul.”

Xiumin held her hand again. “Xiumin.”

 

Sehun watched from the woods and frowned. “What if it was you and I? What if you fell into the water…?” He asked himself quietly.

 

“I wouldn’t be able to save you.” He sighed in disappointment. 


[a/n]: comments are much appreciated!