Sticks and Stones

Spirits

Hanbyul woke up the next day a bit feverish and almost regretted turning down Chanyeol's pleads to get her to a doctor. She pulled the sheets away and peered down at her knee, red and yellow hues peeked through the bandage. She wrinkled her nose and sat herself up. "It's infected," She whispered. 

 

"Byul!" 

 

She looked up and stared blankly at her door. "Y-Yes?" Hanbyul balanced on her good leg as she made her way towards her door. "Chan..." 

Chanyeol stood there with a smile on his face when she opened up. "Do you like it?" 

She smiled and flicked his forehead. "Did you come all the way here to show me your hair?" 

"It's blue!" 

"I think you need a haircut more," Hanbyul brushed his bangs out of his eyes. "You can't even see well to begin with!"

Chanyeol pulled his hood over his head. "I'm not going to start wearing my glasses..." He trailed off as his eyes traveled down Hanbyul's body. "Your leg!"

"It looks a little strange, right?" She asked sheepishly before reaching for his hand. Hanbyul pressed his palm against her forehead. "It's not too bad..."

"You're burning up!" Chanyeol furrowed his brows and looked around her room. "We have to get you to a doctor, let's go to the city. Is that outfit okay? Do you want to change before we go? Are you hungry?"

"We can just go to Dr. Han!" Dr. Han was the only doctor in their neighborhood who took care of everyone. She knew everyone's name and medical history by heart being that she was the only medic in such a small town. 

"Her office is so tiny and I'm sure your wound is more than just a wound, Byul, I'll bring you there. I'll bring us there," 

 

***

"Thanks for the ride, uncle." Chanyeol nodded his head at a neighborhood ahjussi who happened to pass the two when they were waiting on the side of the road. 

"You're in luck! I'm going to Seoul today!" The middle aged man turned around. "Where are you two up to? You guys normally never leave town..."

Hanbyul placed a hand over her knee. "I got hurt a couple days ago and it's more serious than it looks," She explained.

"My goodness, child, you sound weak!" The man took the wheel and began to drive. "Take care of her, Chanyeol!"

"I will." 

 

"Let me know when you guys are done with the hospital, perhaps I'll be able to pick you up!"

The two best friends bowed their heads gratefully as the neighborhood ahjussi drove off. 

 

"Ready?" 

Hanbyul nodded and took small steps. The hospital was half a block away but her knee was acting up. "Why does it hurt so much?" She whispered. "It was just a small cut..."

Chanyeol seemed pissed as he mumbled. "I swear I'm going to get those bastards who hurt you."

"Don't do anything at school, it was partly my fault anyway. And besides, everyone's going to come at me anyway if you say something."

"W-Why are you scared of them?" He asked. "It's true, that out of everyone in that stupid building, I'd chose to be best friends with you over anybody." He said. Then he his teeth. "Is is that hard to understand?"

She chuckled. "Be grateful that you have so many chicks lined up who want to be with you!"

Chanyeol looked at her. 

"What?"

"Nothing." 

 

Upon entering the giant building, Hanbyul's shoulders tensed up as the cold air hit her. She lifted her head and read the signs, they were in the emergency room. 

Chanyeol noticed the change in temperature as well and quickly took his jacket off before putting it on her shoulders. "Isn't it too late in the year to have the air conditioner on?" 

 

"Can I help you?" 

Chanyeol's ears perked up and his eyes widened when a doctor approached. "Y-Yes!" He pointed to Hanbyul's knee. "She fell a few days ago and landed on top of a rough pavement."

 

The doctor nodded and lead them over to a empty bed. He pulled the curtains closed and asked a nurse for help. "I need bandages and saline solution. Ah, I might need tweezers and-"

"I got it, Dr. Kim." 

 

Chanyeol stood by Hanbyul's side with a stiff expression as the doctor pulled up a chair. He watched as Dr. Kim peeled off the dressing. 

"Whoever did the dressing did a great job, where did she fall?" Dr. Kim asked. "I'm trying to think of rough pavements that exist in Seoul,"

"We're from a small town outside of Seoul." Chanyeol said. "Is it bad?"

"It's a bit infected and I think I see the problem. There are little shards of rock and ...I'm not sure what that is but it's probaby from the ground- it's lodged in her skin."

Then the nurse appeared behind the doctor with a cart of materials. She took down Hanbyul's vitals. "Dr. Kim, her temperature is a little high."

"Her wound is infected and I'm not sure how long it's been infected. I'm sure her fever will break within the next few hours. Let's clean up this wound, shall we?"

Hanbyul held Chanyeol's jackets in her arms. "Do...I need stitches?" 

Dr. Kim nodded. "I'm afraid you do, I'll give you a shot that will numb the area beforehand so it shouldn't hurt too much. Alright?"

Chanyeol watched as the doctor skillfully took out every tiny shard before flushing the area with some saline solution. He noticed how tightly Hanbyul clutched onto his jacket. He felt annoyed and angry at the football players who seemed to show no remorse. He reached his hand out and held hers. "Don't look," He whispered. 

Hanbyul turned away and squeezed her eyes shut when the sutures were being done. Her knee was pulsating and only felt relief when the nurse offered her two painkillers. 

"You can rest here for a few hours until you're comfortable enough to be discharged." 

 

"I don't think I can go to school tomorrow," Hanbyul hugged his jacket close to her and drifted off into a slumber. "Don't go and cause trouble, Park Chanyeol." 

 

Hanbyul returned to school 4 days later after getting the "ok" from Dr. Han. She walked slower than usual but her wound was closing up quite nicely. She was welcomed with a bunch of stares and whispers upon entering the classroom, it wasn't anything she wasn't used to but today, it seemed a bit bunch. 

"I wonder what happened..." She asked herself quietly as she took a seat in the back. 

 

She knew something was up when Chanyeol didn't show up to any of their shared classes, he was even missing during lunch. Hanbyul closed her comic book and stood up, everyone was outside playing a round of softball and Chanyeol's blue hair was no where to be seen. She hobbled up and down the halls, peeking into every room until she found him. He was sitting in the principal's office counting papers. 

"Chanyeol?"

He looked up from his work and smiled like a goof. "Hey."

"What happened? Why are you here? Did you miss class?" 

He shook his head. "I got suspended."

Hanbyul furrowed her brows. "What? How?" She nudged his shoulder. "I told you not to cause trouble! What did you say?"

"I didn't start it!" 

"Then what happened?"

 


(The Monday after the accident)

The class noticed Hanbyul's absence when the homeroom teacher was doing attendance. "Hanbyul? Hm? Hanbyul!" 

"She's absent." Chanyeol sat in her seat. 

"Oh? That's a first. Do you know what happened?" 

Chanyeol looked straight at one of the football players. "A bunch of sons of es who were playing football outside the field caused an accident. She busted her knee open and only two of them apologized while the rest of them showed no remorse, instead, they looked at her with disgust like it was her fault."

The football player stood up and pointed his finger at him. "Who are you to talk about my team like that? It's just a scratch, tell her weakass to get over it!" 

"Excuse me?"

"This is why the entire school hates her, she's so damn annoying. Hanbyul didn't even get hurt that badly, it was a small cut." 

Then Chanyeol lunged at the player and threw a jaw cracking punch at the guy. "I had to bring her to the hospital you jackass! She had an infection and a fever, and that small scratch you're talking about required 8 stitches! And the entire school hates her? Calm yourself, it's not like anyone here would ever with you voluntarily." 

The football player grabbed his arms and shoved him a few times. "Do you think you're better than me just because you're good looking? Everyone thinks you're a lunatic for hanging with her!"

Chanyeol shoved the so-called football player back and slammed him into a hall. "Don't talk about my Hanbyul like that! And for a football player you're pretty ing weak, is that why you're always on the bench?"

 

"Park Chanyeol! Joo Myungsoo! My office, now!"

 

Chanyeol turned around and bowed his head at the principal. "Yes sir."

Myungsoo tugged at his own collar and scoffed. "You're in deep ."

"I'm willing to get suspended for Byul, and what about you? Are you going to use your I'm on a team card to pull out of this? What a man..." 


 

Hanbyul gasped. "W-Why did you hit him?" 

"He talked bad about you!"

"So?" 

Chanyeol shurgged his shoulders. "It's fine, I don't mind being here." He counted stack after stack and helped fellow teachers put in grades. "It's only for a week, Byul." 

"Did you eat yet?"

He shook his head. "They won't let me."

Hanbyul scoffed in disbelief. "W-What did Myungsoo get?"

"The entire football team has to clean the gym and the field for the next month." Chanyeol grinned cheekily. "That way more than this!"

She shook her head. "Park Chanyeol..." 

Chanyeol tapped the seat next to him. "Sit!"

"Can I?"

He looked around the office. "The principal's out for lunch, why not, right?" 

"Don't do that ever again."

Chanyeol looked at her. "Why? Because sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never hurt you?"

"Yea."

"Oh cheesy!" 

Hanbyul scoffed and reached for some papers. 

"What are you doing?" 

"Let's do it together!"

"Why?" 

Hanbyul pushed over a cup of pens and scattered them all over the floor. "Because I'm suspended too." 


[a/n]: friends who get supended together stay together lol

comments are much appreciated!

Sehun shall return next chapter, who are you shipping? SeByul or ChanByul? Let me know!