Koi Fish

Spirits

(play this: Lee Hi - My Love Instrumental)


“Hanbyul!”

“Hanbyul!”

“Lee Hanbyul!”

 

She sat up and fumbled with the fallen leaves that rested on her dress. Hanbyul looked around and struggled to get on her feet.

Sehun pulled away and let the branches between them fall as he looked at her. “What’s wrong?” He eyed every corner of the lake and peered between the flowing leaves of the willow tree. “Is that Chanyeol?” The spirit searched the area but the lanky boy wasn’t in sight.  

“He’s looking for me.” She said. Hanbyul furrowed her brows. What could’ve happened? Is grandma okay? She lifted her head up towards the night sky and felt a tug at her heart when she realized how dark it was. How long have I been out? Is grandma looking for me?

 

The fireworks ended an hour ago but the two of them sat on the rocks enjoying the tranquility of the night. Hanbyul leaned her head against Sehun’s shoulder; they weren’t touching as nature separated them. The human and the spirit exchanged secretive smiles and occasional laughs throughout the night, Hanbyul went to the festival every year in the fall but this year, it was extra special since she had someone to go with.

The two of them would’ve sat there enjoying the silence of the night if it wasn’t for Chanyeol who ran through the neighborhood looking for his best friend.

“Lee Hanbyul!”

She gasped and tensed her shoulders once again at the sound of his frantic voice. Hanbyul turned around and by chance, she saw him through the cracks of the willow tree. “C-Chan!”

Chanyeol snapped his head towards her direction and sighed in relief before pushing through the branches. “Hanbyul…” He looked straight at her and frowned. “I told you not to go!”

Sehun sat there awkwardly, he felt isolated as Chanyeol had no idea that he was there- but he was used to it so he put his hands together and looked down shamefully. “Don’t yell at her! It was my fault; I got her to go to the festival…” His words trailed off, there was no point in defending her as Chanyeol couldn’t hear or see him anyway.

Hanbyul turned to the spirit with a doleful expression. “Sehun…”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. “Hanbyul! Stop with the spirit ! I told you not to go to the festival, your knee is wounded! How many times do I need to tell you? Did you know how worried I was when I went home? You weren’t there…”

Hanbyul grimaced at his harsh words and tried to get up, but she sat there in defeat. Her leg was swollen in pain, Chanyeol was right; her knee wasn’t healed enough for her to be running around.

He bent down to meet her gaze and with a long face, he lifted her hanbok slightly. Chanyeol winced at the sight of her bloodied bandage. “I swear I’m going to kill those guys who ran into you…” He muttered. He pressed his lips into a firm line before reaching his arms out towards her. He lifted her into his embrace and carefully made his way across the rocks. “Let’s go home…” He mumbled.

Hanbyul leaned her head against his chest before restlessly peeking over his shoulder, she thought to give the spirit a hopeful smile before leaving but Sehun was nowhere to be seen.

 

Back at home, Hanbyul was subject another rant from her grandma as Chanyeol dressed her wounds.

“Grandma…it’s getting late, let’s sleep.” Chanyeol nudged the old woman’s arm. “Byul had a long day.” He whispered.

The old woman shook her head and pointed to her granddaughter’s knee. “You know you're everything I have Hanbyul, and that I’m very lenient with the things you ask for- but don’t go out and hurt yourself! I can’t take care of you!”

Hanbyul cracked a tired smile before nodding. “I understand, grandma.”

The petite woman huffed and puffed as she made her way to her room. “And stop disturbing Chanyeol! He’s always taking care of you, goodness.”

 

When her grandma left to go to bed, Hanbyul sat on her counter with a fresh bandage over her knee. She looked at her best friend and weakly reached her hand out. “Chanyeol…”

“What?”

“Are you mad at me?”

“No.”

“Then why aren’t you looking at me?”

Chanyeol shrugged and turned away to put the first aid kit back in his place. “Don’t feel like it.”

She pushed herself off the counter and landed on one knee, and then she hobbled over to him and put her arms around his waist. “Thank you, Park Chanyeol, for always being there when I need it.” She felt bad for always making him worry. “I love you…”

He looked down at the first aid kit and blinked a few times. I know you don’t mean it… I wish you didn’t say those last three words so loosely. “I love you too.” He murmured. Then he spun around and picked her up again. “Go to bed.” He avoided her gaze. “It’s getting late and you’re tired.”

 

He walked up the stairs and into her room. Chanyeol tucked her into bed before leaving in silence.

Hanbyul watched as he closed the door to her room. “You’re mad at me, aren’t you?” She whispered.

 

She turned to her side and stared blankly into space, her nightlight was in the corner of her room even though she no longer needed it. Hanbyul sat up and shook her head. “I’m not 5 years old anymore, Chanyeol.” She hopped over to the corner and turned it off, leaving her room pitch black as she did so, but one spot in her room was illuminated and this time it wasn’t the fireflies.

 

In place of the little flying creatures, there was a golden koi fish sitting in a cup by her window.


[a/n]: long time no see! I'm so sorry guys, I've been very busy with school work- this is my senior year of high school! I gotta apply to college and ahhhhhh!
I'm super stressed right now and I also have a boatload of homework to do but I really wanted to update lol

comments are much appreciated!