Doubtful

Spirits

(다비치 (DAVICHI) - 그대를 잊는다는 건 (Forgetting You) (Moon Lovers : Scarlet Heart Ryo OST Part.4)


“Chan…Do you think spirits are real?” Hanbyul fumbled around with the music sheets and stared at the piece of music that she and Sehun just played. She sat with Chanyeol and hugged the book close to her. “The ones grandma talks about…”

Chanyeol stared at his best friend and wrinkled his nose. “What…?” He shook his head and allowed his colorful locks flop around. “That’s stupid.” He said. “A spirit that controls the forest? Come on…”

She turned away and pressed her lips into a firm line in silence. “Sounds like bull…Right?” Hanbyul mumbled quietly. “But …they’re real.”

Chanyeol furrowed his brows and glanced at her. “What’d you say?”

“Spirits are real.” Hanbyul explained. “Only some people in the world can see them, there’s more than one spirit.” She said. “Some people die and come back as spirits if they feel that their time on earth wasn’t enough. The forest spirit is special, he’s different.”

“He?”

Hanbyul nodded. “You can’t touch him.”

Chanyeol held onto the edge of the seat, he nudged one of the pegs on the piano and bit his lip. “What are you…talking…about…?”

“I can see spirits.” Hanbyul opened up her booklet and pulled out some sheets. “I can communicate with them. I befriended a forest spirit… Remember that story grandma told me? She said there was a legend or rumor of some sort that there was a soul that lingered in the woods.”

Chanyeol listened in silence as he recalled the time she told him about it. “What about it?” He asked.

“He’s real.” Hanbyul said. “His name is Sehun.”

He sat there and didn’t say a word; she knew exactly what he was thinking.

He doesn’t believe me. But Hanbyul continued. “He’s a very kind hearted soul and he resonates within nature. I met Sehun by accident one day when I was exploring the forest. Remember that time you saw me in the woods? I said I was catching fireflies…” Hanbyul smiled at the memory. “I was actually trying to catch Sehun.”

“Why?”

“He said that spirits like him couldn’t be touched and …I got curious.” She sighed. “But I understand now, it’s because nature isn’t meant to be touched. When humans put their hands on nature, it gets destroyed. We take down trees, dig up habitats, replace soil with tar, the list goes on and on. There is nothing as beautiful and pristine as nature in its original, untouched form.” Hanbyul thought about Sehun. “That’s why we can’t touch.”

Chanyeol furrowed his brows reluctantly. “Byul, are you okay?”

She flinched at the sound of that. Then she chuckled nervously. “You’ve been calling me that my entire life.” Hanbyul whispered. “But why is it that I like it better when Sehun says it?”

Chanyeol stood up. “You’ve been weird lately.”

Hanbyul pointed to the music sheets. “Chan!” She played a note on the piano. “I only have ten fingers, how could anyone play this on their own?” She read the title of it. “It’s called an impossible remix for a reason, you know it better than me…that one person can’t play this on their own and succeed.”

Chanyeol scoffed. “What are you trying to say?”

“Sehun sat here and played this with me…” Hanbyul insisted. “He was there just recently… you heard it too, you heard it down the halls…” She reminded him. “Sehun sat here and we played this piece together.”

He stared at his best friend skeptically. “Hanbyul…”

“I’m serious!”

“Are you saying you like a spirit? He’s not even real.”

Hanbyul gasped and frowned. She stood up and grabbed her sheets. “Fine, don’t believe me.”

He turned around. “You guys can’t be together anyway!”

 

***

“Are you okay?”

Hanbyul paused in her steps and looked up. Sehun stood by her side just a few feet away.

“Did something happen?”

Hanbyul put her hands in her pockets. “I told Chanyeol about you.”

“He didn’t believe a word you said, did he?”

She shook her head. “He didn’t.”

Sehun shrugged it off. “It’s fine! I don’t blame him.” He said. “He can’t even see me, what would be weirder is that he did believe you.”

“Right…?”

“See? Don’t be sad about it!”

Hanbyul shook her head. “It’s just…it was the first time he didn’t believe me or take my side. We’ve been friends for as long as I remembered and he…he always listened to what I said without batting an eye. I’m just annoyed, that’s all.”

Sehun stood there silently as he didn’t know how to respond.

 

“Excuse us!”

 

He looked ahead to see a bunch of boys running down the path, some were on bikes and some were throwing footballs back and forth as they passed. Sehun stepped aside and waited briefly for the group to pass. Then he heard a worried voice.

 

“Aw crap!”

Sehun looked up and ran through the crowd; touching humans who couldn’t see him had no effect on him. He stood in the front and saw Hanbyul on the ground with a busted knee.

The team captain pushed his way through and gawked. “Guys! What happened?” He asked as he bent down to meet her eyes. “Are you alright?” He asked apologetically.

Then one of the boys nervously approached the captain. He recognized Hanbyul as she was in one of his classes. “I threw the ball and it went over my partner’s head.” He explained. “But then it landed on the wheel of Hoon’s bike and he fell. The bike skid over to Hanbyul, I’m sorry!”

The captain rolled his eyes. “How many times do I have to tell you, no football outside the field!”

Hanbyul sat up and stared at her knee, she winced in pain as she brushed the rocks and dirt off her hands. “That hurt.” She whispered. She glanced at Hoon and sighed.

Hoon pulled his phone out. “I-I’ll let Chanyeol know!”

Hanbyul sat there in defeat, she didn’t want to see Chanyeol but then again, the entire school knew they were best friends.

 

It didn’t take long for Chanyeol to come running over frantically. He pushed through the crowd and dropped his bag down. “How did this happen?”

The captain explained the situation quickly and bowed his head. “I apologize again, I’ll watch after my team better.”

Chanyeol turned back to his best friend with a worried expression hidden behind his stoic stare. He put his book bag on and picked her up. “I’ll see you guys tomorrow.” He mumbled.

 

Sehun walked a few feet behind them and wished he could be of any help. There was blood dripping down Hanbyul’s legs and her gash seemed deep. She had fallen against the pavement and onto some rocks, he was sure that wound was going to scar.

 

Chanyeol walked with his Hanbyul in his arms. “Does it hurt a lot?”

“No.”

He rolled his eyes. “Liar.”

“Shut up.”

 

Sehun followed along and smiled a bitter sweet smile.

Even though it was impossible, he longed to have a friendship like theirs. 


 

comments are much appreciated!