Heartbeat

Spirits

[Yang Da ll - The reason Why]


Chanyeol quietly opened the door to the music room and let himself in. He knew he needed to practice the piece with Hanbyul at least once or twice before the show, he also knew that if he delayed it any further, Hanbyul put off college applications even more and focus on the talent show. 

"Byul," He cleared his throat and walked towards her. He noticed how she sat on one end of the piano bench unlike most people who sat in the middle when they played. "I-Is that spot for me?" He asked, knowing it was for the spirit. He took a seat.

Hanbyul looked over at Sehun and then up at her best friend. "Leave a space for-"

Chanyeol scooted himself over. "Whatever you say," He mumbled. "Let's practice so you can focus on the more important things."

"Like what?"

He turned to her. "College," He said. "Byul, what are you going to do about college?"

"I could just enroll into the community college," She shrugged. "Chanyeol I can't leave grandma behind here." Hanbyul said. "She's all I have."

No, she's not, you have me and so does she. I can get us all out of here and into the city. We can live in Seoul, Hanbyul, you've always wanted to become a city girl- I can do that for you. "Byul," 

"Why would Seoul want me?" She asked, talking about both the schools and the capital itself. "I'm just a girl from a small town," Hanbyul glanced at him. "There are barely 500 kids at our high school, our graduating class is measly compared to the big academies in the city. I have nothing to offer," 

"Hey," Chanyeol furrowed his brows. "What do you mean you have nothing to offer? The school you're from doesn't matter, you're smart, you're ambitious, and you have dreams too. You have every right to chase after them, Hanbyul. You have good grades and-"

"We're competing against students who are better than us, Chan, we have good grades? Theirs are higher. They have all sorts of great things to boast about, we'd be lucky if we were accepted into a community college in Seoul."

Chanyeol nodded. "Alright, then let's do it. Let's apply for the community colleges in Seoul- we can transfer to a more prestigious one after two years-" 

"Grandma's been living here her entire life, I don't want to make her life hard all of a sudden. The city is loud and hectic, and you know grandma is a very peaceful and quiet person. She makes a living selling her fish cakes here and she loves it, Chan." 

"Byul..." He looked at her. "I want you to live a good life too. Are you going to sell fish cakes here for the rest of your life with grandma? You could be doing great things in Seoul, you can discover your passion and be in a field that makes you happy to wake up for work everyday. I want you to be comfortable and happy, can't I do that for you? Can't I care about you? You're all I looked at my entire life, Hanbyul, you're the only girl in world that I'd do this for." 

She placed a hand over his. "I'll think about it," Hanbyul said. "Don't get worked up," She leaned over to see that the spirit had left. "Oh he's..." She shook it off. "Let's practice, it's what you came for, right?"

Chanyeol stared at her. You've always wanted to live in Seoul, that's your dream. And you are my dream... Can't I chase both of them at the same time? Can't I chase our dreams, for us? 

 

Hanbyul laid out the music sheets and pointed. "Play the parts I marked off," She said.

Chanyeol faced the 88 keys and placed his hands on the piano. It sounded strange, the song sounded as if half of it was missing. 

"Sehun left," She said. "I guess he wanted us to talk alone," Hanbyul played the piece. "But it's alright because on the day of the show he'll be playing with us." She looked at him. "What are you doing for the show?"

"I'm singing," Chanyeol cooled down and calmly played his parts. "I'm going to pour my feelings into the song so bring some tissues."

"Is it a love song?"

"Yeah,"

Hanbyul raised an eyebrow. "Why do I need tissues?" She asked. "Is it sad?"

"It is," 

"Aigoo," Hanbyul's touch went from the piano to his cheeks, she pinched him gently. "Who hurt you?"

"You'd be surprised to know," He whispered. 

 

---

Sehun appeared the moment Chanyeol left the room. He took a seat next to Hanbyul. "Is everything alright?" 

"I guess he's a little mad at me," Hanbyul looked at the spirit. "I don't think I can do it, Sehun. I think I'm better here. The college in town is a small one but..." She sighed. "It'd be hard to make it into a school in the city,"

"Don't doubt yourself, Hanbyul, you can do whatever you want as long as you put your mind to it. Chanyeol's right, you deserve to be happy and stable in life." He smiled. "It'd be a bit difficult to walk home with you though, I heard the city is packed." 

"Would I be able to see you if I went to Seoul?"

Sehun nodded. "You would, but not that often. Nonetheless, I'll make sure the stars shine the brightest every time you look out the window," The spirit grinned. "And I'll send you fireflies every year when it's your birthday." 

Hanbyul chuckled. "Will you really?" 

"As long as you look after the koi fish I got you," 

She smiled. "Of course," 

"When times get tough, look at the koi fish," He said. "It'll relieve you and remind you of how strong you are." Sehun held up a pinky. "Next year, I'll get you all the koi fish!"

Hanbyul laughed and pretended to swear on it. "The fisherman will definitely notice this time!"

 

---

Chanyeol walked back to the music room ten minutes later when he realized he dropped his ID card. He looked through the hallways and peeked through his previous classrooms had no luck in finding it. "I wonder if she's still in there," 

 

He stopped at the door and peered into the room. Chanyeol saw Hanbyul sitting on the bench as she was before, beaming with joy. She was talking to someone he couldn't see, and that someone must've had a delightful personality for her to grin as cheekily as she did. 

 

"Don't smile like that," He mumbled. "It makes my heart beat." 


[a/n]: comments are much appreciated!