The Cake

At Least I'll Always Have You

 

Yo Seob- N-Na Hyun… this whole time… I forgot… I forgot we broke up…

Na Hyun- … Same here.

Yo Seob- !… Yo Seob- N-Na Hyun… this whole time… I forgot… I forgot we broke up…

Na Hyun- … Same here.

Yo Seob- !… Really?

 

-An awkward silence fills the air… except for the sound of cricket noises echoing the realization of Na Hyun and Yo Seob-

Yo Seob- Why are we doing this again?

Na Hyun- Let me think… Oh! It’s because of chocolate milk! ^^

Yo Seob- Oh; right, right ^^ I guess… we took it so seriously that we forgot we broke up already…

Na Hyun- Yeah…

Yo Seob- But did you… enjoy it as much as I did?

-Yo Seob looks at Na Hyun’s face with longing… it has been a while since they did something like this together… all thanks to God and chocolate milk… Could it be that she felt the same way? Somehow… could she also have missed the moments they spent together?-

Na Hyun-… (smile) Yeah ^^ I did enjoy it… going back to the old days when we were going out … But, those days are done, right? This is all just pretend until we win the competition.

Yo Seob- Ah… y-yeah; that’s right…

-“Pretend”… that word was so painfully real… suddenly, Yo Seob lost all motivation to win the competition- even if it was for chocolate milk. To think that he’s just pretending to be together with Na Hyun- he’d rather quit now than to pretend any longer-

Yo Seob- (SIGH)… Na Hyun, listen to me…

Na Hyun- Later, later! ^^ We have to hurry up and pick a cake to bake!

Yo Seob- But, are you ok with this? Are you ok with pretending to be together?

Na Hyun- What’s wrong about it? You know, besides from the fact that we’re fooling the public ^^

Yo Seob- Na Hyun…

I know I’m the one who left you first… but… but

 

it’s still so painful to me. I don’t like pretending to be together with you because of how much joy I remember- the joy that I can no longer feel for real. If this is all just pretend, then I don’t want it. Just thinking about it… I’m stuck wanting to go back to those days, wishing that if only things went well for us I’d still be with you… (tears start to form in Yo Seob’s eyes) I’m suffering here… How can I only pretend? Why is it so easy for you to let me go? Have you really gotten over me? Did you really replace me with Dong Woon?

Na Hyun- Dong Woon? Yo Seob…

-Na Hyun touches Yo seob’s downcast face and looks at his teary eyes-

Na Hyun- Babo (idiot/ stupid)…

 

What in the world makes you think I could replace you with Dong Woon? I enjoy his company a lot and we’ve become good friends, but the kind of love I have for you is something I could never share with anyone else. How could you ever think that it’s easy for me to let you go? Or now, to even pretend we’re still together? At first it was all for chocolate milk… but when we remembered that we were only pretending, I found a different reason to go on pretending. Seobie (hugs Yo Seob) I know we’re over, but every minute spent with you still gets me ecstatic. I would give anything to pretend we’re still together- to stay like this, even if it’s only pretend… to be beside you for as long as I can. (looks up at Yo Seob) Seobie…

I love you

-At that moment, Yo Seob burst into tears. It was too much… the happiness and sorrow both colliding inside… so all this time… she really did love him too… not that he had ever doubted, but to hear it after so long… hear her say those very words he yearned to hear from her for so long… it was too wonderful… wonderful, yet also tormentingly painful… because Yo Seob knows that he will be leaving for Tokyo in a few days… If only! If only they could remain this way! Now he understands why Na Hyun did not mind pretending…-

-Later, Yo Seob calms down a bit-

-Meanwhile, after finding out that the baking contest is being televised, Doo Joon and the others devise a plan to make sure that Yo Seob doesn’t get caught-

 

Doo Joon- Ok guys; I’m sure you’ve all heard by now that this contest is actually televised.

Hyun Seung- (-_-) You lacked information hyung.

Doo Joon- I know, I know; my bad (^^;) But now’s not the time to dwell on my mistake; we have to make sure Yo Seob’s folks aren’t watching TV- or at least, aren’t watching the channel this is on.

Gi Kwang- Speaking of which, what channel is this on anyway?

Dong Woon- Oh! I heard it’s on channel M!

Doo Joon- Good Dong Woo; you and Hyun Seung go to Yo Seob’s house and no matter what happens, don’t let his parents watch this channel! The mission will be in jeopardy if you fail- Yo Seob and Na Hyun’s date will be ruined. And, what’s worse is, Yo Seob’s parents may never grant him freedom again because he’s with Na Hyun! They might imprison him in the house or send him to boarding school!

-(O.O) GASP!!-

Dong Woon- (>_<) NOOOOO!!

Hyun Seung- *FAINTS*

Gi Kwang- I didn’t know they had boarding school in South Korea!

Doo Joon- Well, actually ^^ I’m not sure about that part; sorry about scaring you guys- I was just being open to possibilities ^^ But anyway, we’re counting on you, Hyun Seung and Dong Woon. Gi Kwang and I will stay behind to keep an eye on Yo Seob and Na Hyun.

Hyun Seung- Alright hyung; God bless. Let’s go Dong Woon.

Dong Woon- Right; pray hard Doo Joon hyung and Gi Kwang hyung.

-Hyun Seung and Dong Woon leave-

-Suddenly-

-ANNOUNCEMENT TO ALL PARTICIPANTS OF THE BAKING CONTEST: THE FINAL EVENT- CAKE BAKING WILL START IN 15 MINUTES. PLEASE FINALIZE YOUR PLANS AND GET READY SOON-

Gi Kwang- This is the final event hyung. So far Yo Seob and Na Hyun are still leading, but the other competitors are hot on their heels. Do you think they’ll stand a chance?

Doo Joon- Only God knows Gi Kwang- we can only pray and hope for the best.

-10 minutes later, Hyun Seung and Dong Woon reach Yo Seob’s house-

 

 

*KNOCK KNOCK*

Hyun Seung- (Hey Dong Woon, Yo Seob’s parents were out when the guys and I came to pick him up earlier. Do you think they’d be back by now? Actually, we never even got to ask why his parents were out in the first place.)

Dong Woon – (I don’t know hyung, but I’m guessing they went grocery shopping since it’s Saturday. If that’s the case, then they should be back by now.)

-The door opens-

Mrs. Yang- Why, hello there Hyun Seung and Dong Woon ^^

Hyung Seung and Dong Woon- Good afternoon auntie ^^

Mrs. Yang- If you’re looking for Yo Seob, he left a note saying he was going out with “the guys” ^^ I thought that you two were part of it.

Hyun Seung- (time to make things up) Oh, actually, he told us that he’d be hanging out with Doo Joon hyung and Gi Kwang, and asked if we could come along. I accompanied Dong Woon to the dentist since his parents are out on a business trip, so we told Yo Seob we couldn’t make it. But the appointment got cancelled because the dentist called in sick, so we came here hoping to find Yo Seob. But I guess he left already… (SIGH) and we even ran here, right Dong Woon?

Dong Woon- (-_-) Seriously auntie; we really did run here. (That’s about the only thing that was true)

Mrs. Yang- Aww; you boys must be tired. Do you still want to come in even though Yo Seob’s not here? ^^ I could offer you two some drinks and you can rest for a while. Then, when you’re ready, you can go home. How’s that?

Hyun Seung, Dong Woon- We’d like that very much auntie ^^

-And so, Hyun Seung and Dong Woon were allowed into Yo Seob’s house-

-Mrs. Yang brings them some juice and biscuits-

Mrs. Yang- Here you go ^^ You can also watch some TV; Mr. Yang and I are reading some books at the dining room if you need anything.

Hyun Seung and Dong Woon- Thanks auntie.

-Mrs. Yang goes to the dining room-

Hyun Seung- (exhales) (I feel bad for lying to her bro, but what could I do? This is for Yo Seob.)

Dong Woon- (I know what you mean hyung, but it was pretty incredible that you came up with that right on the spot ^^)

Hyun Seung- (yeah… but if Yo Seob hadn’t left that note, I wouldn’t really have any idea how to get in the house. (-_-) That boy is seriously obedient until the last minute. Anyway, we’re pretty lucky; since his parents are just reading, looks like the TV’s secure. We just have to watch a channel other than Channel M.)

Dong Woon- (How long do you think the cake baking will last hyung? We can’t stay here for too long, you know…)

Hyun Seung- (-_-) (Yeah… I guess that’s another thing we have to figure out. Let’s use this time think about it while pretending to watch TV.)

-At the baking contest-

-OK EVERYONE; IT’S NOW TIME FOR THE FINAL EVENT! EACH PAIR IS GIVEN A TOTAL OF 2 HOURS TO MAKE THE CAKE OF THEIR CHOICE. ALL INGREDIENTS AND UTENSILS NEEDED HAVE BEEN PROVIDED; WHETHER FOR ANYTHING SWEET, MINTY, CREAMY, OR EVEN CRUNCHY. PLEASE USE EVERYTHING AS YOU SEE FIT; THERE ARE ALSO DECORATIVE ITEMS FOR THE CAKE. NOW, PLEASE TELL US WHAT CAKE YOU CHOSE AND WHY…-

-the contestants give their answer one by one-

Doo Joon- (What kind of cake do you think they have in mind, Gi Kwang?)

Gi Kwang- (Chocolate milk cake, maybe? ^^)

-Yo Seob and Na Hyun’s turn-

 

We’ve decided to bake a wedding cake.