Chapter 4 Beautiful Mess

For You

“Miss Sunny, the Chairman would like to tell you that the meeting will be moved to 11am.”

 

“Mwo? I thought it was 10am?” Sunny replied to Ms. Ho who is her uncle’s secretary.

 

“I am sorry Miss Sunny it must have been a miscommunication.” Ms. Ho said. “The Chairman said it is alright if you stay in his office while waiting.”

 

“It’s alright Ms. Ho. I’ll be there by 11.” Sunny knows all too well that it was not a miscommunication. She knows that her uncle did this on purpose. Her uncle has been convincing her to work for Lee Enterprises but Sunny has been declining the offer.

 

Sunny had a hard time finding a job. Every time they find out who she is, they will always ask why she does not work for her Uncle’s company. People has been saying that was stupid to decline such offer but for Sunny, it’s different. She is not being proud or maybe partly she is. She wanted to do what she wants. She wanted to make it on her own. She wanted to be free. She does not want her uncle to control her life just like her cousin who is arranged to be married. Though Sunny knows that she will end with the same fate but until then she wanted to live free.

 

Sunny gave a long deep sigh. “Now what am I going to do?” She asked herself.

 

“How about by answering whether I can sit here with you.”

 

“Hyomin?!” Sunny was surprised to see the photographer. “What are you doing here? How long have you been there?”

 

Hyomin smiled. “I came here to buy coffee and then I saw you and thought I’d say hi. How long I have been here? Not long too long to hear you deep long sigh.”

 

“Oh.” Sunny was a bit embarrassed.

 

“So…”

 

“So?”

 

“Can I sit here with you? If not I don’t mind sitting elsewhere.”

 

“Oh… oh yeah please have a sit.” Sunny answered. She even stood up like a gentlewoman and waited until Hyomin sat.

 

“Thank you though I don’t mean to intrude.” Hyomin said but she has already intrude.

 

“No you are not intruding. It’s good to have a company especially that I have to wait until 11 for my meeting.”

 

“Well I am happy to accompany you.” Hyomin said childlike.

 

“Thanks but you don’t have too…” Sunny lied. Of course she wanted Hyomin’s company. “I mean… you might have work to do…. Like you said your hands are tied.”

 

“Thank you for reminding me I was trying to forget that fact.” Hyomin replied teasingly.

 

“Sorry I didn’t mean to.” Sunny fell for it.

 

“Haha I am just teasing you. But yes, I have work later. I just want to perhaps clear my head before work.”

 

“Yeah tell me about it.” Sunny agreed. That was what she was thinking of doing. Though she is curios what Hyomin meant or why Hyomin wanted to clear her head. Sunny brushed it off thinking that it might be stressed from work. And she does not want to push the photographer.

 

The two drink their coffee in silence. It was not awkward but the opposite like they were both being comforted in silence.

 

“Have you ever felt like you have no control over your own life?” Sunny said out of nowhere. “I mean no matter what you do, no matter how you try to fight against it; your fate has already been decided. You might feel like you are free and that you are in control. But the truth is you are not. You realize that you can’t escape from reality, the reality that you have to follow what has been decided for you. You feel angry, you want to rebel, frustrated, but in the end you have no choice.” Sunny poured out.

 

Hyomin knows how it feels. Who is she kidding? It’s Hyomin’s life story. How Hyomin wished she could give Sunny an advice but she couldn’t because her own life is a mess. She couldn’t even tell what was the right thing to do. Maybe if she agreed on the arranged marriage 2 years ago then none of this will happen. Hyomin reached out to Sunny and gave a consoling smile to the shorter girl.

 

Sunny was touched by the gesture and placed her hand over Hyomin’s. They were holding hands and smiling at each other. She does not know why she opened up so easily with Hyomin. It’s not like Sunny wanted to rant her life story. And it is not like Sunny wanted to hear some intelligent advice because she has heard loads of advice. She just want someone to understand her… console her like the way Hyomin is doing right now.

 

After a few seconds, the two relized that they have been holding hands and staring at each other for who knows how long. Both pulled their hands. Both looked out of the window. Both drank their coffee while looking away. It was silent but this time it was awkward silent.

 

“So…” Sunny cleared trying to break the awkward silence. “So how do you clear your head?”

 

Hyomin smiled trying to recover from that awkward black hole that tried to swallow her. “With coffee and beautiful scenery”

 

“Typical photographer answer”

 

Hyomin laughed. “Have you seen the city?” Hyomin challenged.

 

“Yes, I have been going around the city. It’s practically the same with the other cities.”

 

“I mean walk around the city and not see it from a car.”

 

“Pretty much it’s the same.”

 

“It’s not the same.” Hyomin stood up.

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“I am going to show you.”

 

“What?”

 

“Don’t worry we won’t go too far. I’ll make sure that you won’t be late for your meeting.” Hyomin reassured.

 

Sunny doesn’t mind being late in meeting her uncle. But maybe Hyomin’s idea is not a bad thing.

 

“Come on.”

 

Sunny does not know how long she has been standing like a statue. She was busy with her thoughts until Hyomin called her. It was a bright and sunny day but it was scene of Hyomin stretching her hand to Sunny that stunned the shorter girl.

The two are walking around the city. Hyomin will tell stories some about her or about the people she often sees in the park or such random stories. From time to time Hyomin will stop and take a picture.

“Everything looks better in the picture.” Sunny said making Hyomin look to her. “I mean reality is a mess but when you take a picture of it it’s beautiful. It’s like taking pictures is a way to escape reality.”

 

“I wish that is the truth. If you can escape reality by taking pictures, I bet there will be lots of photographers in the world.” Hyomin teased. “By taking pictures you are not creating a more beautiful world. It is not an escape from reality. In fact it is capturing what is real. You are right life and reality can be such a huge complex mess. But photography teaches you to focus on the little things that is pretty and simple. It is for you to see that there is beauty in reality. You just have to find it.”

Sunny was staring at Hyomin the whole time. Find the beauty in all this complex mess

--

Sunny was on her way to see her Uncle. She received a message from Hyomin.

 

I kept my word. You can still make it in time for your meeting.

 

Sunny replied.

 

Thank you Hyomin. I got to clear my head XD

 

Sunny received another reply but she didn’t get to read it as she bumped into someone. “I’m sorry I wasn’t looking at where I was going. Are you ok?”

 

“I’m ok. Thank you.” The other girl bowed.

 

Sunny picked up the other woman’s ID and gave it to her. “Park Ent?”

 

“Thank you. I’m Ham Eunjung from Park Enterprises.”

 

“Nice to meet you Eunjung. I’m Lee Sunny.” Sunny looked as the girl was wearing a Park Enterprises ID left. She wondered if her Uncle had a meeting with Park Ent. Sunny remembered she had a message from Hyomin. The petite girl couldn’t help but smile.

 

Anytime, Sunny.

 

--

"Eunjung!” Hyomin called.

 

“Hyo.” Eunjung greeted.

 

“I’m glad you made it. How did you managed to escape from Ji?” Hyomin asked.

 

“Seriously Hyo. Jiyeon is suspecting. She has been asking why I kept going out during lunch and all.”

 

“Just say that you are busy with meetings.”

 

“Psh”

 

“How was the meeting with the Lees?”

 

“It went well. Like you said I placed your proposals and they are considering it. It’s going according to our plan to delay the partnership.”

 

“Good. And Ji?”

 

“She had to stay and have lunch with the Lees. So I have an hour before I go back.”

 

“Arasso. Let’s start.”

 

“You seem to be in a good mood…”

 

“Yah yah… are we going t chitchat or start working?”

 

“I heard you were able to book a campaign from a fashion brand.”

 

“Where did you get that.”

 

“I have sources too you know.”

 

“Yes, T&S it’s a fashion brand based in L.A. The owners are Korean-Americans. The campaigns has not start yet. Until then I can focus on helping the company.

 

“Daebak! You deserve it.” Eunjung is happy for her friend. She feels guilty that Hyomin had to be dragged back to this mess but Jiyeon needs her sister even if Jiyeon would not admit it. “The proposal you sent me were approved. And the numbers are somewhat improving.” Eunjung explained.” Eunjung showed the financial report from Park Enterprises.

 

“That’s good. Do they have any idea where these proposals are coming from?”

 

“They all think it’s from me. Seriously, how can you let me take credit for all these?”

 

“Eunjung, no one must know that I am helping the company.” Hyomin said.

 

“Yeah but…”

 

“Appa must not find out. Besides we are doing this so that Appa’s company can survive even without the partnership with the Lees.”

 

“Hyomin, come back. I’m sure Mr. Park will be happy to learn that you are helping the company.”

 

“I have no face to show to Appa after what I did 2 years ago. This is all I could do. Besides I don’t think he will be happy knowing that I am stopping the engagement…for the second time.”

 

“You sure like to give him a headache.”

 

“Well he deserves it for setting up his daughters in arranged marriages and for the same guy. Seriously aren’t there any other families.”

 

“If it wasn’t the Lees, woud you approve?”

 

“No. And I would stop this arrange marriage. My sister should be free to choose whoever she wants to marry.”

 

“I’m here to help.” Eunjung said.

 

“Thanks, Eunung ah.”

 

“I should go back. By the way, Sungmin will be back from the business trip in two days. They will have dinner with the Lees and will make the engagement formal.” Eunjung shared to Hyomin.

 

--

 

 

Mianhe!!! This author have gone for MIA. I really didn't mean it. I just got so busy.

Anyway I hope you enjoy this chap.

And I hope you find the beauty in this complex mess called life. :)