Chapter 15

Let's Meet Again

 

[Four years later]

 

“Congratulation!” Wendy congratulated Joy who was seating across from her at a nearby coffee stop.

 

Time was generous to both of the girls. Joy now have short brown hair that goes down to her shoulder. Instead of aging over the year, the haircut made her appears even younger. Wendy, on the over hand, remained the same. The only thing that changed is now she looks even more gorgeous than ever. She had always been the ideal type for many of the boys in their high school, and that didn’t changed when they enter college.

 

“Thanks unni.”

 

It has been several weeks since the comeback of Joy’s third novel; the last installment to her romance fantasy novel. The winter of her junior year in high school, Joy had won the writing contest and her first book was soon published afterward. Since then, Joy continued her writing as part-time while attending the same university with Wendy.

 

Initial, the story that she entered the competition with was about a middle-age woman traveling back in time to reunite with her first love. At the time, the first book ended in tragedy with the main protagonist never able to change her past and lost the love of her life. However, after that year, she decided to write a sequel for the story. She wanted to write a happy ending for the two main characters, even if it does mean the impossible. She was the author of her story and she can write whatever her heart desire. Unlike reality, there will never be a sad ending in her fiction.

 

After graduation, Wendy attended a university located in the center of Seoul while majoring in health and medical. One year later, Joy joined her and the two spend their college years together like they did before in high school. They lived on campus and even joined a club together. Right now, it is summer vacation but they occasionally meets up at the coffee shop where Wendy is working part-time.

 

“Seriously, you waited until the last minutes to tell me you’re making a comeback. Do you know how hard I have to work to save up for you?” Wendy complained to the younger girl as she placed an envelope on the table.

 

“Huh, what’s this? A present for me? Awwww, unnniii!” Joy took the envelope and opened it to see what’s inside. She pulled out one plane ticket and a hotel receipt. “No way! For real?!”

 

Wendy nodded her head. “I told you I had to work my butts off because of you. It’s a plane ticket to Jeju for two weeks. I even paid for your hotel stay, but the food is on your own.”

 

Joy quickly hopped across the table and gave Wendy a tight bear hug. “Unni, you’re the best! Only you love me the most.”

 

“Don’t get too excited. This goes toward your birthday gift too. Don’t be expecting anything from me this September.”

 

“I know, it’s okay. I’ll make sure to signature an autograph for you when you purchased my book as well.”

 

“Oh geez, thanks…..”

 

***

 

A week later Joy was off on the plane, heading for Jeju Island. As soon as she got off the plane, the fresh summer breeze hits her and she immediately rushed toward the resort that Wendy had booked for her.

 

The first week of her stay she spend most of her times traveling and sightseeing, while making sure to not missed out on the famous Jeju black pork for dinner every other day. The island was beautiful with the fresh ocean at very corners. From shrines to historical sculptures, she made sure to visit them all. Her favorite was the Cheonjiyeon Waterfall, which was so nice and peaceful that she could spend the entire evening just watching the waterfall.

 

Today marked her twelfth day on the island. After dinner, she headed out to the coast near her hotel to enjoy the evening waves. She sat down on a rock by the reef of the ocean and watched the evening clouds passes by for an hour or so. The waves was calm and the birds was soaring in the beautiful horizon.

 

And she thought of him. She remembered the promise that she made with him; that they would go to the sea together. Now, it was just her. He couldn’t see the same beautiful scenery that she is seeing right now. They are no longer under the same sky.

 

“In less than two months, I will be twenty-one….” Joy whispered to the wind. “Before, you were nagging me so much about being too comforted with other men, but now you don’t even bothered to look after me anymore………..Are you comfort now? Here, in the sea…”

 

The silent wind didn’t gave her an answer. She sat there for a little longer as many things crosses her mind.

 

Most of the people in the area had already left when the sun began to set, and Joy was the last one remained. She got up and was about to leave but her feet loss its balance and she fell into the water. The height of the water wasn’t great but she couldn’t swim. In a daze, she flopped her arms as the instinct of survival crosses her mind.

 

However, after a minute has passed she became tired. Fear now consumed her entire body and she struggles to take in as much breath as she could. She couldn’t hear anything besides the sound of the waves pushing against her body. She wanted to yell and shout at the top of her lung, but oxygen was draining out of her. Her arms grew weak and her vision began to fade. The water filled and she slowly let her body drifted along with the ocean current.

 

Is this how to feels like for you as well?.....This emptiness feeling……….…I want to see you…….

 

Her tears blended away with the ocean. Thoughts rushed into her head as she closed her eyes. Memories began to flow of her childhood with Minhyuk as they ran around the alleyway together of their old homes. Memories of her constantly nagging Wendy during their lunch break at school. And the memories of the beautiful school days she spend with her first love.

 

A tugged around her waist suddenly pushes her against the current and causes a disturbance in her train of thoughts. The next thing she knew, she was grasping for air as she felt hard rocks aching on the side of her back.

 

“Ma’am! Ma’am, are you alright? Can you hear me?”

 

Yes. I heard it. Your voice.

 

She saw herself. In that dark pearl orbs that reflected her most beautiful image. The same curved jawline that holds on to the sincere smile directed simply to her. With a hazy vision, Joy reached out her hand and touched the face of her first love.

 

Yook Sungjae……..

 


 

Don’t worry guys, there will never be a sad ending for the SungJoy couple. At least not in my fanfic. Thank you so so so much to all the readers that had stay with me until the end. Every now and then, I do feel distressed and want to just quit, but your lovely words pulled me right back up. Please continues to give Red Velvet and BTOB lots and lots of love.