Chapter 14

Let's Meet Again

 

Winter vacation began and the New Year came to welcome Joy. Now that school was out, Joy is able to spend most of her time continue writing for her fanfic. Wendy stopped by to visit every once in a while and the three, including Minhyuk, would go out to karaoke room or the park together. She kept herself busy. The moment that Joy idled, the memories will find their ways into her head.  

 

Minhyuk would also come over to her house every day to visit, but would often be ignored by Joy on days that she was too engaged in her writing. Today, once again, Joy would locked herself up in her room not allowing anyone to disturb her train of thoughts. Minhyuk greeted her parents and handed the New Year gifts that his parents had prepared for them. Afterward, he went upstairs and knocked on Joy’s bedroom door to check on her.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, want to get some fresh air?” Minhyuk offered.

 

“Not today! I’m working on something.”

 

“You sure? I have some bungeoppang…..”          

 

Bungeoppang is a popular Korean street snack that is shaped like a goldfish and filled with red bean paste inside.

 

Seeing that Joy didn’t response back, Minhyuk understood that his attempt has failed. Before he left, he bent down and slid a piece of paper under her bedroom door. On the paper was an autograph of Sungjae’s signature that Joy had handed to Minhyuk several months ago.

 

Minhyuk was about to leave when suddenly the door of Joy’s bedroom opened.

 

“…….Sunbae, bungeoppang?....”

 

Minhyuk sent the tired looking girl a smile and held up a plastic bag in his hand. The two went outside and sat on the ledge of the road that led down the alleyway. Joy was busy chomping down the bungeoppang while Minhyuk just laughed as he watched her enjoying the food so much.

 

The street was empty because of the holiday. Many people had left Seoul and went home to their family or hometown. The snow from last week blizzard had melted but the cold winter breeze still lingers in the air.

 

“This narrow alley seems a lot bigger when we were kids doesn’t it? I probably won’t ever be able to forget it and the streets we spend together during our childhood.”

 

“Yeah, me neither.” Joy replied while continuing with her food. “This is where we played together when we were little. You were such a crybaby back then. Who would have thought you’ll grew up to be such a perfect man now?”

 

Minhyuk chuckled as he reminisces about the past. “Yeah, when we were kids, you were always the noona in our relationship. When I got bullied in kindergarten by the neighboring kids and wouldn’t say anything, you got really mad and went to argues with them. You know, after that day I didn’t want to see you for a while because I thought you looked down on me.”

 

“I know, you stopped talking to me for weeks because of that. Afterward, it was like we switched roles. You started to take it to yourself to look out for me even when you didn’t needed to.”

 

“What do you mean I didn’t needed to? Don’t you remember that one time you were walking on this ledge and fell off because of that clumsy feet of yours? You would screamed in pain like there’s no tomorrow. Even after I bandaged your wound, you wouldn’t stop crying until I got you ice cream.”

 

“So what? I wanted ice cream okay?”

 

“I know, that’s why you’re still a kid. Do you remember when we were little I promised that I would take you out to go see the world?”

 

“Of course, I remember everything. You even said that you will take me to go see a world full of hope. Eghh, so cliché!”

 

“Geez, I didn’t thought you would remember it word for word.”

 

Joy laughed at her success in teasing the older man.

 

“Our innocent Sooyoung…..Who will look after you when Wendy and I graduates?”

 

“Tsk, I still have Yeri. Sunbae, you don’t know this but I’m actually quite popular with the boys in my class.”

 

“I know, there’s no other girls like you. I won’t be able to walk with you down this alleyway anymore……….Sooyoung-ah, after graduation, I’m going to the air force. It’s been my dream for a long time now. Seeing you working so hard on your dreams lately, I also want to work on mine.”

 

“…..That’s right. You always wanted to fly and travel the world…….I’m happy for you sunbae.”

“Sooyoung-ah, back then when you were having difficult times, I wasn’t able to protect you. I’m sorry. No matter how much hates you received because of me, you never once abandoned our friendship. I’m really grateful to you because of that. Now, for leaving you behind to go see the world first, I’m sorry as well.”

 

“It’s alright. There’s some stuff in this world that we just don’t have the power to control, but that doesn’t make you any less of a great person……Sunbae, to me you’re not just a childhood friend but also my lifetime companion. Thank you for always being there for me.”

 

“Mmm, thanks Sooyoung. You really have grown into a lady now.”

 

Minhyuk held open his arms and Joy lend in to embrace him. Silently, tears formed and she weeps onto his shoulder. This is the first time the two hugged each other since entering high school. Joy couldn’t remember the last time that they were able to speak to each other like this. Only until the last moment did she realized how precious their friendship was for each other.

 

She was grateful for having Minhyuk as a friend, but also understand that there will be an emptiness in her life when he’s gone. Not only is she losing her childhood friend but she is also saying goodbyes to her childhood and youth as well. A bitter pain stung her heart and tears flowed silently in the empty street of their homes.  

 

“Do you think we grow apart?” Joy muffled up her words.

 

“No, we won’t. We might separate for a while but we will meet again.”

 

She couldn’t hide her pain. She knew that time is too unfair, and when something is gone it won’t come back. Just like Maeterlinck’s Blue Bird, she believe that happiness has always been there. Minhyuk was like a brother to her, and she could never forget him.

 

“Okay.…...Oppa, I will miss you.”